2014 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $48,656 - $51,687.

10/8.4

8.2

Based on 98 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

The Ultimate Driving Machine

By on Friday, November 19, 2010

"This is my 3rd 535i over the last 8 years. I had taken a European delivery and the experience in Munich was wonderful. There is a marked improvement over the 2008 model and the Comfort and Sports driving is wonderful except that it is a little smoother and does not give the road feel like the earlier one. I remember when I bought my first 5 series in 2002, the sales man told me while giving the keys that I challenge you to buy a different car make in future. He was right. I have test driven many others over the years and nothing can beat the BMW. I just love this car."

Poorest in Electronics, Sensors Reliability

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "Best Drivability. Excellent driver's car"

Cons: "Most Unreliable after 3-4 years. High Road Noise"

"I purchased new 535i in 2008 with 4years/50k warranty. As soon as 4 years are over, and with only average of 8k miles per year, it has bogged down with 2 recalls, numerous erratic engine check. So many times went for service just for sensor check, reset....and each time Kearny Mesa BMW in San Diego, will find some problem. No problem was found in 4 years, but now they discover all problems even when it has only 42K miles. My battery died in a small town. After changing there and driving few miles all sorts of warning, engine shutdown, started coming. My BMW dealer said that the battery MUST be purchased in BMW only and needs computer reset, that cannot be done elsewhere. Lo!...what poor design....what if there is no BMW dealer in a town or highway!! The list goes on and on. However, I must say that no car drives as well as BMW. But sell it fast within 4 years of warranty to lessen headaches. Now, I will buy a Lexus or even Honda or Camry or other more reliable car, with decent performance.This car is for young drivers only for speed."

550 xDrive Is A Beauty And A Beast

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Fast, great looking, all the creature comforts"

Cons: "Weight, run-flat tires, steering and Nav"

"I love almost everything about this car, and it is certainly one of the best 4-door sedans in its class ever made. I prefer light colored exteriors (look good even a week after they're washed), and lighter interiors with good contrast (easy to see how absolutely incredible the BMW interior is), which can be a bit hard to find on these cars. I found a white one with the Oyster on Black interior which looks fantastic. The Beauty: To start, there is not a better looking sedan on the road, IMHO. The styling says class while retaining the strong, aggressive stance that BMWs are known for, and avoids the over-styling of many of the Japanese and American makes. The seats are some of the best in the business (make sure and get the sport buckets!), and the interior appointments are driver focused but make passengers feel like welcomed guests. The Beast: 450 lb-ft of torque matched to one of the smoothest 8-speeds in the business. It needs to be in Sport mode to really get a sense for what this car can do. With loads of torque to spare, the drivetrain gets this 4,600 pound beast moving 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds (yes, the xDrive is 0.3 faster than the RWD!). You won't see many cars on the road that are faster. Even a late model Carrera with a stick will have to hit every shift just right to take this car. And they can't take their friends to lunch in that little coupe. My only beefs with the car? 1) Too heavy makes it less responsive than it could be, so-so on gas, and bad on tires and brakes 2) run-flat tires (uugghhh) 3) Connection to the road a tad numb (the suspension is ok, it's the steering that is most wanting) and 4) the Nav system is a bit clunky (just get Google maps and/or iOS in there!) Still, this is the best sedan on the market IMHO - good enough to keep a smile on your face everyday - and that's how much you will want to drive it. It is a near perfect balance of power, comfort and styling. And hey, if there weren't any flaws, I wouldn't have an excuse to upgrade in a few years. :)"

I recently bought a 550i sport and love it.

By on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pros: "performance, style, interior, family space (trunk)"

Cons: "the cup holders block some controls."

"I test drove the A6, E550, CTSV and Lexus. The BMW was the last car I test drove and I knew within a few minutes I was going to own one. This is the first BMW I've owned and I'm a fan now. If you decide to buy one, I recommend the DINAN stage 2 chip upgrade. I did and my 550i is now equal to the CTSV. I've owned a few nice cars C43, Porsche 996 Turbo and a Shelby GT500. This is the best one so far, no matter what the reviews say, this car is awesome!"

Gotta love that German engineering!

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, quiet cabin, free maintenance"

Cons: "voice ativation issues"

"As a previous MB and LS460 owner just to name a few. The 5 series is clearly the best thats offered today in terms of performance, quality and style. Great gas mileage BTW which is great nowadays! Check it out!"