2014 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $48,965 - $51,942.

10/8.4

8.1

Based on 90 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

This is my starter BMW...want more!!

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pros: "Ultimate driving machine for sure...any model"

Cons: "Steering wheel needs more up/down movement"

"The most exciting car I've owned. Ran it on two race courses (a real kick...no red lights or anybody coming at you). Now want an 'M' car (six series convertible is likely). Go to SC & take BMW's driving course(s). You'll really (REALLY!) appreciate the vehicle so much more."

BMW is not the utimate driving machine

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Good Gas Milage"

Cons: "Poor Value, and Reliability"

"For what this car cost it is not in my top ten. It rattles, has been in the shop 3 times and BMW still has not fixed the problem. I don't think they will ever fix the problem. My advice stay away and get something else."

I recently bought a 550i sport and love it.

By on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pros: "performance, style, interior, family space (trunk)"

Cons: "the cup holders block some controls."

"I test drove the A6, E550, CTSV and Lexus. The BMW was the last car I test drove and I knew within a few minutes I was going to own one. This is the first BMW I've owned and I'm a fan now. If you decide to buy one, I recommend the DINAN stage 2 chip upgrade. I did and my 550i is now equal to the CTSV. I've owned a few nice cars C43, Porsche 996 Turbo and a Shelby GT500. This is the best one so far, no matter what the reviews say, this car is awesome!"

Poorest in Electronics, Sensors Reliability

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "Best Drivability. Excellent driver's car"

Cons: "Most Unreliable after 3-4 years. High Road Noise"

"I purchased new 535i in 2008 with 4years/50k warranty. As soon as 4 years are over, and with only average of 8k miles per year, it has bogged down with 2 recalls, numerous erratic engine check. So many times went for service just for sensor check, reset....and each time Kearny Mesa BMW in San Diego, will find some problem. No problem was found in 4 years, but now they discover all problems even when it has only 42K miles. My battery died in a small town. After changing there and driving few miles all sorts of warning, engine shutdown, started coming. My BMW dealer said that the battery MUST be purchased in BMW only and needs computer reset, that cannot be done elsewhere. Lo!...what poor design....what if there is no BMW dealer in a town or highway!! The list goes on and on. However, I must say that no car drives as well as BMW. But sell it fast within 4 years of warranty to lessen headaches. Now, I will buy a Lexus or even Honda or Camry or other more reliable car, with decent performance.This car is for young drivers only for speed."

Love Love Love the Car

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Best BMW, owned 2 - 3's and 3 - 5's"

Cons: "Run Flat Tires - I wish they were real tires!"

Nice and Clean

"Just traded in the 2008 535xit Sport Wagon for the new 5281 x drive. I am amazed! The ride, the power, the styling, the iDrive - all amazing. I recommend the BMW Apps feature and the Concierge Service. You can look up your destination on GoogleMaps and send it to the car in just a few clicks. Otherwise in the car, BMW Online connects you to the internet via Google for searches, included apps are; fuel prices, and Yelp - even the weather displays on your screen. The BMW Apps allows internet radio and Pandora, but you are using your data plan. The interior lighting is pleasant and well as the comfort and design of the seats. The rear heated seats make my children happy while waitng for the bus in the morning. If they could make this model a convertible - I would buy it! Going from a 300hp 6 cylinder engine to the new 240hp 4 cylinder has not been an issue - it is nice to have the choice of ECO, Comfort or Sport for power. I have no complaints. I do miss my panoranic sunroof though."

Nice and Clean

Best car I ever ownedw

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Was reluctant to buy at first because I enjoy a soft ride of a Lexus. Owned several 3 series and great handling but tough ride! Owned several Lexus and very soft ride but doesn't handle as well as BMW. Decided to try 5 series and pleasantly surprised, both great ride and handling. Although the Lexus is a better buy I plan to replace my 2011 model with a 2013 because I like it that much"

Great car

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "a very great drive"

Cons: "tech can be a little hard to understand"

"Unique, cool and fun to drive."

powerful and luxurious

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

"Great car for the value"

Awesome Car!

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, interior is gorgeous, great design"

Cons: "Steering slightly electronic, no side bolster adj"

"I have had this vehicle since 10/11 and there is nothing I do not like about this car. It looks great. I will go out to the garage to grab something and just stand and stare at it. The ride is awesome especially on long trips. You will not be fatigued but you will easily want to speed so use the cruise control! I just got my first speeding ticket! LOL The interior design is amazing...especially at night...the amber colored ribbon along the doors, etc looks stunning. I dinged the car for Driving Dynamics just a bit because the steering feels a little more electronically controlled than the previous version but it is in no way a reason not to get the car. It is so fun to drive. Make sure you get Navigation and BMW Apps so you can connect your iPhone to the car. The gas station search and Yelp! applications are very cool too but you have to get the Convenience Plan for $200 a year. You will not be disappointed by this car. I have had many people come up to me and ask about the car and told them to buy it. I love it!"

Gas guzzler, not too sporty otherwise great

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "fast, powerful, beautiful, fully loaded"

Cons: "gas guzzler, big, heavy, clunky handling"

"The 550i is my 5th BMW and in many ways my most dissapointing BMW experience. My 550 has the sports package and a manual transmission but besides being a rocket going straight it is really not sporty. The size of the car and the steering dynamics make it very clunky to drive and hard to trust in hard driving. On top of that when you drive the way you want the gas mileage drops to about 10 mpg. In my truly blended driving highway and city I get 13.9 mgp. On the positive side the car is beutiful and has every feature you can want. If you are cruising on the highway or around town the car is very pleasurable and comfortable."

refined luxurious interior

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "luxury, comfort, power, BMW maintenance program"

Cons: "high entry price and depreciation, rear styling"

"Equipped for 4 with the optional comfort seats front and rear e.g. ventilated heated, cooled adjustable leather seating which includes rear seat power reclining, there is no bad seat in this vehicle. All 4 positions set the occupant up for a first class commuting experience. The aesthetics of the rear quarter/end styling is debatable, however the driving experience for a large luxury sedan is sublime. I have and love a 2008 BMW M3 convertible which is great sporting fun and comfort for two full sized adults. I have a need to carry up to 4 adults in comfort for frequent extended trips and the GT is perfect for that role and the most comfortable vehicle by far that I have owned or ridden in. The latest generation I-drive controller is much more user friendly and the 10 inch navigation screen is awesome. The underpinnings are actually the 7 series chassis with the '5 series GT' body. The two way opening rear hatch/truck access is flexible and convenient and the silky smooth 8 speed transmission coupled with the 400hp V8 is moves the car with authority. Options: sport package, cold weather package, DVD entertainment system, Head up display, lane deviation warning, blind spot detection, auto high beam, luxury front and rear seating."

Gotta love that German engineering!

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, quiet cabin, free maintenance"

Cons: "voice ativation issues"

"As a previous MB and LS460 owner just to name a few. The 5 series is clearly the best thats offered today in terms of performance, quality and style. Great gas mileage BTW which is great nowadays! Check it out!"

Very disappointed

By on Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, beautiful car, handles brilliantly"

Cons: "Rims/Tires are too fragile"

"I leased my 535xi (M Sport Package, Premium 1"

A fun car to drive BUT it still has issues.

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "fuel, steering, features/options, SPEED.."

Cons: "to many features lol, run flat tires somewhat."

"Overall I have been pleased with my purchase and since I traded in a Lexus for this car I was looking for something sporty, faster and enjoyable on the road and this car delivers.. I have gotten SO many compliments on the color (black carbon metallic) with the phat sports wheels- it is truley a sharp car. I went all the way and got the M-series like they say go big or stay home!! I must admit my fuel pump failed on this car after owning it for 2-3 months that with 2 replacement tires due to nails I have not made up my mind on these run flat tires yet.. the car has been awesome to own.. thankfully everything has been covered just the normal inconvenience with having to drop off for repairs has been my only complaint with this car. BTW Lexus has BMW beat on service at their dealership."

Love the space, looks, driving

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

"Wasn't planning to trade in my older 325i, 2003 year, but once we drove this one, it was very clear... My wife and I were having an extremely difficult time acting like we didn't want the car to properly negotiate the best price. I love the leg and head room, very similar to the X6. Also liked that this model is unique and just looks nice. We enjoy the heated seats and the lighting effects."

2012 535i xDrive, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Premium

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "awesome quality, great performance, stylish"

Cons: "run-flat tires, softer steering compared to older"

"I've traded my old '03 530i for this car. I must admit I loathed the Chris Bangle's design of the 2004-2010 models and was excited when the sporty and stylish new 5 series were introduced in 2011. The new car is absolutely awesome in every respect, a genuine pleasure to drive, handles beautifully - although the steering is, indeed, just a bit "softer" than what you are used to if you have owned and enjoyed the earlier models - but not too soft or wobbly. The 535 is loaded with tasteful luxury, and sports elegance in every way. It is very quiet and comfortable. The seats are snug, slick, and very comfy. All driving modes are very smooth. The Eco mode is great for slow traffic. The Comfort and Comfort modes provide a good combination of spirited and comfortable driving. The car turns into a beast in the Sports mode: you really have to watch your speed, otherwise, in a few seconds, you will be going over 100 mph without knowing it. One complaint: the mandatory run-flat original tires the car comes with. The OE run-flats are too low-profile to use on the original [expensive] 19" rims (Sports Pkg) in the winter here in Boston. Too much risk of damaging the rims. So, the first thing I did was buy a set of cheap (but beautiful) 17" rims(17X8 Rial Salerno Silver) with regular winter tires (225/55R-16 Dunlop SP Winter Sort 3D) mounted on them, and I am planning to buy a set of high-performance [regular, low-profile] summer tires that I will put on the original rims for the summer. Note that the new 5-series comes without a spare, so if you dump your run-flats - and chances are you'd want to, you'd need a portable Tire Mobility Kit (BMW sells them, or you can buy a similar cheaper one elsewhere.)"

2011 Car of the Year!

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "Acceleration, Audio system, Fun to drive"

Cons: "Run flat tires"

"This car is not perfect but it is definitely a big improvement from the 2010 version."

Impresses me everyday

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

"I loved my car till the accident on November. A bid truck trailer hit me from the back on an interstate in a stop an go traffic. $7000 worth of damages, and I will let you know how it drives afterwards. Up to that day, had no compliants, drove awesome (especially in Saw Mill parkway), very good in crusing..."

Wow, now I understand!

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "great handling, power and smooth ride"

Cons: "I cant drive it all day"

"I have had other luxury cars in the past but this is a machine. You definately have to own one to understand. No comparison!"

Love it!

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

"Handles great, runs great, looks great, comfortable, good gas mileage. No complants!"

This car is a beast!

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles well, excellent gas milage"

"The new body style and the improved engine performance make this a winner! This is my fourth 5 series and by far this top them all. BMW knows how to move the bar."

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Makes you feel you are in a Lexus LS 460 for less money!"

535X-Drive Machine

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

"BMW quality throughout in this one. This is my third 5 Series and it is the BEST! My only dislike is the 8 speed steptronic seems to shift way too much before 30 mph. So I drive in sport mode (when my wife lets me drive HER car!) . He premium sound is outstanding . Fun to drive and great on fuel also !"

Best 5 series Ever Built

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Gorgeous car to drive, sounds like a silent cat"

Cons: "Run flats too expensive, mini 7"

"I pre-ordered my bmw 528 back in Aug of 2010.. I watched it get built on the site and when i finally got it..I was amazed with the the difference of the previous generation with this one. From the way it felt sitting on, maneuvering, and safety. Safety was a 5 star, felt like i was wrapped with cushions in every corner. The tires are run flats( expensive to replace) but def worth it."

Fast, smooth, effortless

By on Saturday, October 08, 2011

Pros: "Excellent balance of handling, power, luxury"

Cons: "There's a LOT to learn on this car!"

"This is my seventh BMW. My last one was a 2008 M3 sedan, which makes for an interesting comparison. Where there M3 was brutal, the 550i is smooth and subtle. Example: the exhaust note on the M3 was a raucous burble, the 550i is almost noiseless. In the M3, though, there's a distinct lack of low-end torque, which is where the 550i shines. Under 4k RPMs, the M3 is downright sluggish. Over 6k RPMs (redline is 8400), it's a rocket, but how often can you get to that range in US driving? Accelerating briskly into traffic with the 550i is effortless with a huge surge of smooth torque, where on the M3 there was a distinct wait for the engine to rev, which then brought a dramatic increase in power. As I'm gaining experience and confidence in the 550i, I'm finding that its capabilities (such as negotiating exit ramps enthusiastically) are close to -- if not as good as -- the M3. The big difference? The 550i is about 600 pounds heavier and physically larger, so the handling isn't quite as crisp. Even with the Driving Dynamic Control set to Sport . Then again, is it fair to compare a Three to a Five, and an ///M car to a standard BMW? As far as amenities and features, the 550i is stunning. My car has just about every option except the rear entertainment, night vision, and automatic transmission. The interior is a marvelous place to be. I did a European delivery, put 1,300 miles on the car in five days, and the car was a delight at triple-digit speeds for hours on the autobahns."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next