2014 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $48,656 - $51,687.

10/8.4

8.3

Based on 102 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

not any time soon...

By on Monday, December 24, 2012

Cons: "Not trustworthy"

"Jeez.....last week $500 for a new wheel...a small unfixable crack...today a warning light reads "reduced power" and so it goes back to the dealer...where no loaner is found.....this is the last of our four bimmers....our land cruisers are much less troublesome, and very reliable....."

Very Happy With This Car

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "looks great, rides great, lots of standard options"

Cons: "concerned about the run flat tires"

"I bought this car about a month ago. Great handling, appearance. performance and gas mileage. This is the 528i which is powered by a 4 cyl turbo. Amazing quickness for a 4 cyl. and the benefit of excellent fuel economy (24/34 mpg). Still learning all of the capablities with the electonics, navigation and entertainment system - but so far if does everything I've wanted and more. While not a problem, I do have one point of concern. The car somes with run flat tires which I did not research before buying the car. The good news is that you can drive up to 100 miles on a flat. The bad news is it's very expensive to replace them ($500 per tire). The tires ride fine and I haven't had any problems, but I am concerned about the cost when I have to replace them."

refined luxurious interior

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "luxury, comfort, power, BMW maintenance program"

Cons: "high entry price and depreciation, rear styling"

"Equipped for 4 with the optional comfort seats front and rear e.g. ventilated heated, cooled adjustable leather seating which includes rear seat power reclining, there is no bad seat in this vehicle. All 4 positions set the occupant up for a first class commuting experience. The aesthetics of the rear quarter/end styling is debatable, however the driving experience for a large luxury sedan is sublime. I have and love a 2008 BMW M3 convertible which is great sporting fun and comfort for two full sized adults. I have a need to carry up to 4 adults in comfort for frequent extended trips and the GT is perfect for that role and the most comfortable vehicle by far that I have owned or ridden in. The latest generation I-drive controller is much more user friendly and the 10 inch navigation screen is awesome. The underpinnings are actually the 7 series chassis with the '5 series GT' body. The two way opening rear hatch/truck access is flexible and convenient and the silky smooth 8 speed transmission coupled with the 400hp V8 is moves the car with authority. Options: sport package, cold weather package, DVD entertainment system, Head up display, lane deviation warning, blind spot detection, auto high beam, luxury front and rear seating."

Wow, now I understand!

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "great handling, power and smooth ride"

Cons: "I cant drive it all day"

"I have had other luxury cars in the past but this is a machine. You definately have to own one to understand. No comparison!"

Totally satisfied.

By on Wednesday, March 09, 2011

"Bought the new 2011 528i last week. AWESOME!!! Perfect balance of luxury and performance. I must say the overall driving feels is a bit different than the older models. (I did like the old feel though). The regular (D) mode gives a very smooth acceleration (might feel a bit clumsy to some people) but the sport mode is all fun, not to mention the Triptronic adds more fun to it ;) Overall a very very good drive. I agree there is a considerable power diff as compared to the 535, but have been hearing a lot of complaints about 535 turbo, so bought this instead. Unless you are a RED-LINE driver, you would be pretty satisfied with this one."

throttle tip in issue 2011 528 i (m sport)

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Reason: throttle tip in issue

Pros: "looking great exteriror & interior"

Cons: "lag , lag and lag .. driving around town sometimes"

"this lag i have to deal with daily. step on the gas gently car hesitates , too much it launches forward like in a drag race,"

EXCELLENT CAR!

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "VERY VERSATILE, EXCELLENT LONG DISTANCE DRIVER"

Cons: "POOR RESALE AND FUEL ECONOMY"

"Great car overall. I can fit my Great Dane in the back. It is a luxury tourer when I need it. Great in the snow with snow tires. Quiet and really fast! I do wish it got better gas mileage. I get only about 21mpg on the interstate at 80mph."

Awesome driving machine

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

"Very satisfied"

Unique alternative to a station wagon

By on Friday, January 17, 2014

Pros: "Back seat! Style, features"

Cons: "GPS, mechanical issues,"

"I've had this car for about 5 months bought it as a CPO with 14K miles on it. It has had some mechanical quirks -which have required multiple trips to the shop. The car is a head-turner, reading the reviews on line I expected people to tell me how much they hated it but in fact most people say that they love it. It fits the child seats in the back seat very nicely -there is much more room in the back seat than my old 2001 5 series. The sport mode is my favorite to drive in. We have been able to take it on 2 road trips -both times it handeled the weekend luggage and kept us all very comfortable on the ride. I'm going to get a cargo liner for the rear compartment, and I had the windows tinted - I'm hoping the mechanical issues settle down so I can truley enjoy the car."

amazing has mileage for a car of this size.

By on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

"very pleased with the mileage, power and ride. almost a perfect combination of the three."

Best I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

"3 years old and I still make excuses to go for a drive."

Over all this the best vehicle I've owned.

By on Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pros: "My 2012 550i Does everything well"

Cons: "Done like the cup holders"

"I've owned several nice cars, c43, 911 turbo, Shelby gt 500. The 550i is the best daily driver. If you get one buy the dinan stage 2 chip, I love it. It's an m5 and i saved about 55k bad to the bone!"

Love the space, looks, driving

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

"Wasn't planning to trade in my older 325i, 2003 year, but once we drove this one, it was very clear... My wife and I were having an extremely difficult time acting like we didn't want the car to properly negotiate the best price. I love the leg and head room, very similar to the X6. Also liked that this model is unique and just looks nice. We enjoy the heated seats and the lighting effects."

535X-Drive Machine

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

"BMW quality throughout in this one. This is my third 5 Series and it is the BEST! My only dislike is the 8 speed steptronic seems to shift way too much before 30 mph. So I drive in sport mode (when my wife lets me drive HER car!) . He premium sound is outstanding . Fun to drive and great on fuel also !"

Best 5 series Ever Built

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Gorgeous car to drive, sounds like a silent cat"

Cons: "Run flats too expensive, mini 7"

"I pre-ordered my bmw 528 back in Aug of 2010.. I watched it get built on the site and when i finally got it..I was amazed with the the difference of the previous generation with this one. From the way it felt sitting on, maneuvering, and safety. Safety was a 5 star, felt like i was wrapped with cushions in every corner. The tires are run flats( expensive to replace) but def worth it."

Pure pleasure

By on Friday, October 07, 2011

Pros: "gets women"

Cons: "Gets too many women at times...."

"I could have chosen the 535 but since this car gives me the power I need when I need it, then it is all about the comfort. I have driven the mercedes, audi, jaguar, equivalents and have friends who own these cars. Each of them agree that my navigation is better, the use of accessories are better and the package options still saved me about 5K when I designed it myself. Simply put, this car turns heads even among the cadillac drivers. It has the Man flair women seem to enjoy."

classy beast

By on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pros: "beast of an engine(550i), classy yet sporty."

Cons: "a little less on rear legroom"

"i got this car on 21st august 2012. its 550i. its sooo smooth and slick fast. there is absolutely no turbo lag. grunt available at all the speeds and all the time. its flawless except its a little short on rear legroom but thats a minor issue. luv it"

Love my new 2010 550iGT!

By on Sunday, March 20, 2011

"My husband just bought me a 2010 BMW 550i GT, a dealer demo model with 8k miles. I had seen one on the road and fell in love with it a few months ago. I love the concept of a bigger 550i and I love a big backseat and huge trunk with fold down seats, it delivers. Some may say this is a female car but when you drive it you will know it is a sport car. Small steering wheel with 400HP, both of which add fun and youth to this car. We traded in a Chrysler 300c Hemi for this car, which I loved except it was in the shop every 3 months-can't do it. My husband has a BMW 750Li and an 18 your old Acura Legend (best car for low cost reliability and longevity). The 550i GT made the 2011 550i (no GT) look like an old ladies car. I sat in both cars and the 550i was dummied down with Honda style leather/clothe seats and my short legs hit the front seat when I sat in the tiny backseat. After seeing the 550i I was not sure why the car existed, except for how beautiful it looks from the outside-stunning. When you get it in it you will be disappointed unless you pay the 25k extra to upgrade everything, which it needs. The GT version did not disappoint. The white silk leather was better than our 750Li and the back seats recline to a almost 750 feel. I love the huge trunk. What I do not like about the GT is it does not have the auto door closure like the 750 and the trunk has to be manually closed. And one more thing, this model did not have the back seat window shades and the non-framed windows remind me of a PACER from the 1970's. I guess I am spoiled by our 750 but wanted to share with you a women's opinion. My husband thought this GT looked like a chic car until he drove it. It has more horsepower than his 750 and turns like a Porsche. I purchased the extended warranty/maintenance since BMW's have very expensive repairs (so did my Chrysler of which every major electrical system failed during the time we owned it). I could not fairly comment on the reliability of the GT since I have not had it very long. I will let my husband drive the GT if needed but this is MY car. My other option for a new car was a 2010 Lexus LS 460. I love the car but the price made me shy and found little supply in San Diego that was not overpriced by 10k per KBB."

Great Drivers car but...........

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Reliable and high resale."

Cons: "Run Flat Tires"

"I'm now in my second 5 series in the last four years and my 2012 535i is a great "drivers" sedan. It's quick and nimble for a car it's size and weight, and is very comfortable for even long distance driving. The MAJOR drawback of this or ANY BMW today are those darn run-flat tires! My first 5 series got only 18K miles on the OEM set and this car got only 15K miles out of the first set. The tires themselves are very expensive, ride uncomfortably, and wear horribly. Some of the OEM brands are also non-replaceable in case of a puncture. I've spoken to both my service adviser and dealership manager and they say the tires are a constant source of complaints about the brand. Why then does BMW continue not to offer an alternative? I'm ready for another car in about three months and those tires might keep me from buying another BMW. A shame that such a "driving machine" has an Achilles heel."

Perfect balance between sport and luxury

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "Luxury and sport"

Cons: "Stereo sound not great"

"I was looking for a mid-sized luxury sport sedan. Test drove Mercedes E550, Jaguar XF, Audi A6 and Lexus GS 460. Was open to buying any one of those. But, the BMW was just simply the best. Have had it 2 years and have had no problems to date. The only mild negative is the stereo sound. Its above average, but should be better. The best feature is just how perfect it balances luxury and sportiness."

Bad Transmission

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pros: "Nice driving"

Cons: "Poor reliability. Unacceptable service"

"I bought this car brand new and when I brought it to the dealer for the first oil change they found that the transmission was leaking. It was leaking out of the case and needs to be replaced. This car has 7700 miles on it . The car has been in the shop for 3 weeks Still no transmission The ECD for getting a transmission is 9-1 14. I will never buy another BMW. This car will go up for sale as I get it back. It will be close to a month that its been in the shop"

535I

By on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"I have owned the car for a little over 3 years and had continous problems with the fuel injectors/ turbo chargers. Now the transmission is leaking! Local BMW could care less. I wouldnt recommend the 535I Next car wont be a BMW!"

Gas guzzler, not too sporty otherwise great

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "fast, powerful, beautiful, fully loaded"

Cons: "gas guzzler, big, heavy, clunky handling"

"The 550i is my 5th BMW and in many ways my most dissapointing BMW experience. My 550 has the sports package and a manual transmission but besides being a rocket going straight it is really not sporty. The size of the car and the steering dynamics make it very clunky to drive and hard to trust in hard driving. On top of that when you drive the way you want the gas mileage drops to about 10 mpg. In my truly blended driving highway and city I get 13.9 mgp. On the positive side the car is beutiful and has every feature you can want. If you are cruising on the highway or around town the car is very pleasurable and comfortable."

Beware of M-Sport package w/ 19" wheels

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Good compromise car"

Cons: "Horribly soft wheels"

"Watch the potholes! As a former M3 driver, the 5 series M-Sport is a great compromise car for running the family around while retaining the ability to engage in spirited driving. Unfortunately the 19" wheels bend far too easily. Had two wheels straightened in 3 months of winter driving. Car looks great. Plenty of power at 300 hp for the 535. Went with Xdrive for practicality. If you live in a climate with snow, opt for the 18" wheels, or buy a 911 for fun, and a Wrangler for winter."

IMPOSSIBLE TO TOW OR SERVICE IN A TIMELY FASHION

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Cons: "GAS MILEAGE NOT AS ADVERTISED, BMW SERVICE A JOKE."

"GOOD LUCK HAVING THIS CAR TOWED. THE TOW TRUCK DRIVER HAS TO CRAWL UNDERNEATH IT TO PUT IT IN NEUTRAL. HE TOLD ME HE WOULD NEVER DO THAT ON THE HIGHWAY SO YOU RISK DAMAGING YOUR TRANSMISSION WHEN THEY LOAD IT. FYI RUN FLAT TIRES SOUND LIKE A GREAT IDEA BUT ARE $300 TO REPLACE EACH TIME YOU HAVE A FLAT. THE BMW SERVICE CENTER TOOK TWO WEEKS TO GET A MUFFLER PART FROM GERMANY AND THEN TOLD ME IT NEEDED ANOTHER PART THAT WAS BACKORDERED TWO MONTHS! WHEN I COMPLAINED THEY SUGGESTED I JUST DRIVE IT WITH THE DAMAGED MUFFLER. I'M PAYING $1000/MO FOR THIS BAD SERVICE? THE DEALER COULD'T CARE LESS AND WOULDN'T GET INVOLVED. I'M GOING BACK TO MERCEDES."