2014 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $48,850 - $51,861.

10/8.4

8.2

Based on 94 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Best car I ever ownedw

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Was reluctant to buy at first because I enjoy a soft ride of a Lexus. Owned several 3 series and great handling but tough ride! Owned several Lexus and very soft ride but doesn't handle as well as BMW. Decided to try 5 series and pleasantly surprised, both great ride and handling. Although the Lexus is a better buy I plan to replace my 2011 model with a 2013 because I like it that much"

Awesome Car!

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, interior is gorgeous, great design"

Cons: "Steering slightly electronic, no side bolster adj"

"I have had this vehicle since 10/11 and there is nothing I do not like about this car. It looks great. I will go out to the garage to grab something and just stand and stare at it. The ride is awesome especially on long trips. You will not be fatigued but you will easily want to speed so use the cruise control! I just got my first speeding ticket! LOL The interior design is amazing...especially at night...the amber colored ribbon along the doors, etc looks stunning. I dinged the car for Driving Dynamics just a bit because the steering feels a little more electronically controlled than the previous version but it is in no way a reason not to get the car. It is so fun to drive. Make sure you get Navigation and BMW Apps so you can connect your iPhone to the car. The gas station search and Yelp! applications are very cool too but you have to get the Convenience Plan for $200 a year. You will not be disappointed by this car. I have had many people come up to me and ask about the car and told them to buy it. I love it!"

A fun car to drive BUT it still has issues.

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "fuel, steering, features/options, SPEED.."

Cons: "to many features lol, run flat tires somewhat."

"Overall I have been pleased with my purchase and since I traded in a Lexus for this car I was looking for something sporty, faster and enjoyable on the road and this car delivers.. I have gotten SO many compliments on the color (black carbon metallic) with the phat sports wheels- it is truley a sharp car. I went all the way and got the M-series like they say go big or stay home!! I must admit my fuel pump failed on this car after owning it for 2-3 months that with 2 replacement tires due to nails I have not made up my mind on these run flat tires yet.. the car has been awesome to own.. thankfully everything has been covered just the normal inconvenience with having to drop off for repairs has been my only complaint with this car. BTW Lexus has BMW beat on service at their dealership."

Fast, smooth, effortless

By on Saturday, October 08, 2011

Pros: "Excellent balance of handling, power, luxury"

Cons: "There's a LOT to learn on this car!"

"This is my seventh BMW. My last one was a 2008 M3 sedan, which makes for an interesting comparison. Where there M3 was brutal, the 550i is smooth and subtle. Example: the exhaust note on the M3 was a raucous burble, the 550i is almost noiseless. In the M3, though, there's a distinct lack of low-end torque, which is where the 550i shines. Under 4k RPMs, the M3 is downright sluggish. Over 6k RPMs (redline is 8400), it's a rocket, but how often can you get to that range in US driving? Accelerating briskly into traffic with the 550i is effortless with a huge surge of smooth torque, where on the M3 there was a distinct wait for the engine to rev, which then brought a dramatic increase in power. As I'm gaining experience and confidence in the 550i, I'm finding that its capabilities (such as negotiating exit ramps enthusiastically) are close to -- if not as good as -- the M3. The big difference? The 550i is about 600 pounds heavier and physically larger, so the handling isn't quite as crisp. Even with the Driving Dynamic Control set to Sport . Then again, is it fair to compare a Three to a Five, and an ///M car to a standard BMW? As far as amenities and features, the 550i is stunning. My car has just about every option except the rear entertainment, night vision, and automatic transmission. The interior is a marvelous place to be. I did a European delivery, put 1,300 miles on the car in five days, and the car was a delight at triple-digit speeds for hours on the autobahns."

not any time soon...

By on Monday, December 24, 2012

Cons: "Not trustworthy"

"Jeez.....last week $500 for a new wheel...a small unfixable crack...today a warning light reads "reduced power" and so it goes back to the dealer...where no loaner is found.....this is the last of our four bimmers....our land cruisers are much less troublesome, and very reliable....."

Very Happy With This Car

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "looks great, rides great, lots of standard options"

Cons: "concerned about the run flat tires"

"I bought this car about a month ago. Great handling, appearance. performance and gas mileage. This is the 528i which is powered by a 4 cyl turbo. Amazing quickness for a 4 cyl. and the benefit of excellent fuel economy (24/34 mpg). Still learning all of the capablities with the electonics, navigation and entertainment system - but so far if does everything I've wanted and more. While not a problem, I do have one point of concern. The car somes with run flat tires which I did not research before buying the car. The good news is that you can drive up to 100 miles on a flat. The bad news is it's very expensive to replace them ($500 per tire). The tires ride fine and I haven't had any problems, but I am concerned about the cost when I have to replace them."

refined luxurious interior

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "luxury, comfort, power, BMW maintenance program"

Cons: "high entry price and depreciation, rear styling"

"Equipped for 4 with the optional comfort seats front and rear e.g. ventilated heated, cooled adjustable leather seating which includes rear seat power reclining, there is no bad seat in this vehicle. All 4 positions set the occupant up for a first class commuting experience. The aesthetics of the rear quarter/end styling is debatable, however the driving experience for a large luxury sedan is sublime. I have and love a 2008 BMW M3 convertible which is great sporting fun and comfort for two full sized adults. I have a need to carry up to 4 adults in comfort for frequent extended trips and the GT is perfect for that role and the most comfortable vehicle by far that I have owned or ridden in. The latest generation I-drive controller is much more user friendly and the 10 inch navigation screen is awesome. The underpinnings are actually the 7 series chassis with the '5 series GT' body. The two way opening rear hatch/truck access is flexible and convenient and the silky smooth 8 speed transmission coupled with the 400hp V8 is moves the car with authority. Options: sport package, cold weather package, DVD entertainment system, Head up display, lane deviation warning, blind spot detection, auto high beam, luxury front and rear seating."

Wow, now I understand!

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "great handling, power and smooth ride"

Cons: "I cant drive it all day"

"I have had other luxury cars in the past but this is a machine. You definately have to own one to understand. No comparison!"

Totally satisfied.

By on Wednesday, March 09, 2011

"Bought the new 2011 528i last week. AWESOME!!! Perfect balance of luxury and performance. I must say the overall driving feels is a bit different than the older models. (I did like the old feel though). The regular (D) mode gives a very smooth acceleration (might feel a bit clumsy to some people) but the sport mode is all fun, not to mention the Triptronic adds more fun to it ;) Overall a very very good drive. I agree there is a considerable power diff as compared to the 535, but have been hearing a lot of complaints about 535 turbo, so bought this instead. Unless you are a RED-LINE driver, you would be pretty satisfied with this one."

throttle tip in issue 2011 528 i (m sport)

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Reason: throttle tip in issue

Pros: "looking great exteriror & interior"

Cons: "lag , lag and lag .. driving around town sometimes"

"this lag i have to deal with daily. step on the gas gently car hesitates , too much it launches forward like in a drag race,"

EXCELLENT CAR!

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "VERY VERSATILE, EXCELLENT LONG DISTANCE DRIVER"

Cons: "POOR RESALE AND FUEL ECONOMY"

"Great car overall. I can fit my Great Dane in the back. It is a luxury tourer when I need it. Great in the snow with snow tires. Quiet and really fast! I do wish it got better gas mileage. I get only about 21mpg on the interstate at 80mph."

Awesome driving machine

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

"Very satisfied"

Unique alternative to a station wagon

By on Friday, January 17, 2014

Pros: "Back seat! Style, features"

Cons: "GPS, mechanical issues,"

"I've had this car for about 5 months bought it as a CPO with 14K miles on it. It has had some mechanical quirks -which have required multiple trips to the shop. The car is a head-turner, reading the reviews on line I expected people to tell me how much they hated it but in fact most people say that they love it. It fits the child seats in the back seat very nicely -there is much more room in the back seat than my old 2001 5 series. The sport mode is my favorite to drive in. We have been able to take it on 2 road trips -both times it handeled the weekend luggage and kept us all very comfortable on the ride. I'm going to get a cargo liner for the rear compartment, and I had the windows tinted - I'm hoping the mechanical issues settle down so I can truley enjoy the car."

amazing has mileage for a car of this size.

By on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

"very pleased with the mileage, power and ride. almost a perfect combination of the three."

Over all this the best vehicle I've owned.

By on Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pros: "My 2012 550i Does everything well"

Cons: "Done like the cup holders"

"I've owned several nice cars, c43, 911 turbo, Shelby gt 500. The 550i is the best daily driver. If you get one buy the dinan stage 2 chip, I love it. It's an m5 and i saved about 55k bad to the bone!"

Love the space, looks, driving

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

"Wasn't planning to trade in my older 325i, 2003 year, but once we drove this one, it was very clear... My wife and I were having an extremely difficult time acting like we didn't want the car to properly negotiate the best price. I love the leg and head room, very similar to the X6. Also liked that this model is unique and just looks nice. We enjoy the heated seats and the lighting effects."

535X-Drive Machine

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

"BMW quality throughout in this one. This is my third 5 Series and it is the BEST! My only dislike is the 8 speed steptronic seems to shift way too much before 30 mph. So I drive in sport mode (when my wife lets me drive HER car!) . He premium sound is outstanding . Fun to drive and great on fuel also !"

Pure pleasure

By on Friday, October 07, 2011

Pros: "gets women"

Cons: "Gets too many women at times...."

"I could have chosen the 535 but since this car gives me the power I need when I need it, then it is all about the comfort. I have driven the mercedes, audi, jaguar, equivalents and have friends who own these cars. Each of them agree that my navigation is better, the use of accessories are better and the package options still saved me about 5K when I designed it myself. Simply put, this car turns heads even among the cadillac drivers. It has the Man flair women seem to enjoy."

classy beast

By on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pros: "beast of an engine(550i), classy yet sporty."

Cons: "a little less on rear legroom"

"i got this car on 21st august 2012. its 550i. its sooo smooth and slick fast. there is absolutely no turbo lag. grunt available at all the speeds and all the time. its flawless except its a little short on rear legroom but thats a minor issue. luv it"

Love my new 2010 550iGT!

By on Sunday, March 20, 2011

"My husband just bought me a 2010 BMW 550i GT, a dealer demo model with 8k miles. I had seen one on the road and fell in love with it a few months ago. I love the concept of a bigger 550i and I love a big backseat and huge trunk with fold down seats, it delivers. Some may say this is a female car but when you drive it you will know it is a sport car. Small steering wheel with 400HP, both of which add fun and youth to this car. We traded in a Chrysler 300c Hemi for this car, which I loved except it was in the shop every 3 months-can't do it. My husband has a BMW 750Li and an 18 your old Acura Legend (best car for low cost reliability and longevity). The 550i GT made the 2011 550i (no GT) look like an old ladies car. I sat in both cars and the 550i was dummied down with Honda style leather/clothe seats and my short legs hit the front seat when I sat in the tiny backseat. After seeing the 550i I was not sure why the car existed, except for how beautiful it looks from the outside-stunning. When you get it in it you will be disappointed unless you pay the 25k extra to upgrade everything, which it needs. The GT version did not disappoint. The white silk leather was better than our 750Li and the back seats recline to a almost 750 feel. I love the huge trunk. What I do not like about the GT is it does not have the auto door closure like the 750 and the trunk has to be manually closed. And one more thing, this model did not have the back seat window shades and the non-framed windows remind me of a PACER from the 1970's. I guess I am spoiled by our 750 but wanted to share with you a women's opinion. My husband thought this GT looked like a chic car until he drove it. It has more horsepower than his 750 and turns like a Porsche. I purchased the extended warranty/maintenance since BMW's have very expensive repairs (so did my Chrysler of which every major electrical system failed during the time we owned it). I could not fairly comment on the reliability of the GT since I have not had it very long. I will let my husband drive the GT if needed but this is MY car. My other option for a new car was a 2010 Lexus LS 460. I love the car but the price made me shy and found little supply in San Diego that was not overpriced by 10k per KBB."

Great Drivers car but...........

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Reliable and high resale."

Cons: "Run Flat Tires"

"I'm now in my second 5 series in the last four years and my 2012 535i is a great "drivers" sedan. It's quick and nimble for a car it's size and weight, and is very comfortable for even long distance driving. The MAJOR drawback of this or ANY BMW today are those darn run-flat tires! My first 5 series got only 18K miles on the OEM set and this car got only 15K miles out of the first set. The tires themselves are very expensive, ride uncomfortably, and wear horribly. Some of the OEM brands are also non-replaceable in case of a puncture. I've spoken to both my service adviser and dealership manager and they say the tires are a constant source of complaints about the brand. Why then does BMW continue not to offer an alternative? I'm ready for another car in about three months and those tires might keep me from buying another BMW. A shame that such a "driving machine" has an Achilles heel."

Perfect balance between sport and luxury

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "Luxury and sport"

Cons: "Stereo sound not great"

"I was looking for a mid-sized luxury sport sedan. Test drove Mercedes E550, Jaguar XF, Audi A6 and Lexus GS 460. Was open to buying any one of those. But, the BMW was just simply the best. Have had it 2 years and have had no problems to date. The only mild negative is the stereo sound. Its above average, but should be better. The best feature is just how perfect it balances luxury and sportiness."

Bad Transmission

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pros: "Nice driving"

Cons: "Poor reliability. Unacceptable service"

"I bought this car brand new and when I brought it to the dealer for the first oil change they found that the transmission was leaking. It was leaking out of the case and needs to be replaced. This car has 7700 miles on it . The car has been in the shop for 3 weeks Still no transmission The ECD for getting a transmission is 9-1 14. I will never buy another BMW. This car will go up for sale as I get it back. It will be close to a month that its been in the shop"

535I

By on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"I have owned the car for a little over 3 years and had continous problems with the fuel injectors/ turbo chargers. Now the transmission is leaking! Local BMW could care less. I wouldnt recommend the 535I Next car wont be a BMW!"

Gas guzzler, not too sporty otherwise great

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "fast, powerful, beautiful, fully loaded"

Cons: "gas guzzler, big, heavy, clunky handling"

"The 550i is my 5th BMW and in many ways my most dissapointing BMW experience. My 550 has the sports package and a manual transmission but besides being a rocket going straight it is really not sporty. The size of the car and the steering dynamics make it very clunky to drive and hard to trust in hard driving. On top of that when you drive the way you want the gas mileage drops to about 10 mpg. In my truly blended driving highway and city I get 13.9 mgp. On the positive side the car is beutiful and has every feature you can want. If you are cruising on the highway or around town the car is very pleasurable and comfortable."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next