2014 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $42,760 - $45,415.

10/8.4

8.3

Based on 102 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Maintenance Purgatory, Get out your checkbook!!!

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "Good power once you get going, solid feel,"

Cons: "Many EXPENSIVE problems,"

"Have my second 5 series in 6 years, first one totaled in a head on collision, wish I got got away from BMW when I had the chance. Four years later and approximately $5000 poorer in anything from small repairs to oil leaks , to a complete transfer case, As I sit here drafting this warning ( which I have never done about anything before) my 4.4 liter 535 XI is back in the shop for the second time in 10 days running very rough , power loss and engine light on. ( Lord have mercy because BMW DOSE NOT! )"

The best BMW I have ever owned

By on Sunday, May 17, 2015

Pros: "Gas mileage, large trunk, seats, speed"

Cons: "Rock-hard run flat tires, rear visibility"

First day with the car: October 30th, 2013

"I have owned my 2014 535d xDrive M-Sport for a year and a half now. What a car! I always lease cars for 36 months and I have owned many BMW's before this (M3, 2 M5's, 550i, X5) and this is my favorite one by far. I got the graphite metallic color (which I don't think they offer on the 2015 M-sport models) with the mocha nappa leather multi-contour seats. My previous vehicle (2011 X5) was a great car but it had rough suspension and my wife hated the seats. The multi-cotour seats in the 535 are absolutely epic. The amount of adjustments you can make is just incredible. The optional adaptive dampers are a MUST in my opinion, especially on the M-Sport model. Those run-flat tires are HARD and the adaptive dampers make the ride a lot better. It's such a smooth car with little road noise. My 6ft son fits in the back seat no problem and the trunk is huge. The AWD system is great also with no problem in NY winters. The diesel is an absolute dream to drive. Does 0-60MPH in 5.7 seconds and though it's lacking in horsepower compared the the 535i it makes up for all of that with the enormous amounts of low-end torque. It just takes off. We did a drive from NYC to Albany for Thanksgiving doing 80MPH the whole time and we averaged 36MPG. I commute to Connecticut everyday for work and I have saved so much money on gas. The one thing this car leaves something to be desired is in rear visibility. The backup camera and parking sensors do mostly eliminate the problem, but it's a little hard to see out of the back window unless you really get up out of your seat. Otherwise, so happy with my decision. I can't wait till the lease is up so I can get another one!"

First day with the car: October 30th, 2013

Great power. Not guite as quick as my 540i

By on Thursday, December 11, 2014

"This car is great. The only drawback is the fact that it uses @ 1 guart of oil in 1200 miles. This is in spec. I knew the V8 twin turbo would not get good gas milage; @ 13 in city and 25 highway. Conering is good."

A cachet name with mediocre performance

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "cachet name"

Cons: "bland interior, mediocre performance"

"I was in the market for a an upscale midsize sports sedan so I test drove the BMW 5281 2013. Stepping into the car I was underwhelmed. for a $50,000 car it was so Spartan with its uncomfortable synthetic leather seats and simple dashboard design but it is a BMW so I agreed to drive it. I had earlier driven the Tesla and Infiniti M37S and made some comparisons while driving. The Tesla S was smoother than the BMW and the Infiniti had a gorgeous interior and clearly out handled (0-60 in 5 seconds) the BMW. IMHO, I think the BMW 5281 is a good car as Consumer Report gave it 82 points but they also gave the Infiniti M37 93 points and Tesla its highest score at 99 points. I won't tell you which car I bought but I certainly didn't spend $50,000 on a 5 series with vinyl seats. If you want something more than a Cachet name then do some reading and then do some driving..... its the only way to buy a car :}"

love my bmw

By on Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Pros: "the car is perfect"

Cons: "it doesn't come with a refridgerator."

"I bought my 535d used only had 13600 on it, I used to own a 535i. I decided to try the diesel, and low and behold , I did fall in love with it ,there is no nasty diesel smell, the acceleration is astounding, and the fuel mileage is more than I could have hoped for, I get around 23-24 in town , and 38-41 on the highway. I have every option except adaptive cruise. as for the run flat tires , I got rid of those and opted for a set of good year comfort assurance tires. they are rated at 80,000 miles, and I couldn't believe the difference that made. all in all its the best car I have ever owned, period."