• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2014 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $42,941 - $45,506.

10/8.4

8.1

Based on 89 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

the ultimate sports sedan "cruiser"

By on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pros: "wickedly fast, comfortable, great cruiser"

Cons: "numb steering, run flat tires, no remote start"

"I have been driving fast cars since 1964, including three prior BMW's. My 550ix is an incredible machine. It may just be the ultimate sports sedan "cruiser". It is absurdly quick and corners and brakes a lot better than the so-called critics contend. Moreover, it is extremely quiet, comfortable and well appointed. I believe that for most people, myself included, it has a nearly perfect blend of performance and real world road manners. Yes, the steering is not as crisp or engaging as I would like, and I am definitely not a fan of the run flat tires, but ,that said, I am very glad I chose it over the Mercedes E550 and the Audi A6. It costs a whole lot less than a comparably equipped Mercedes and while the A6 is a very nice car, it lacks the power of my 550ix. For people who want near "supercar" performance but who are not willing to pay the huge premium for a tricked out M5, Mercedes AMG or similar vehicle, I believe the 550ix is a great choice."

Great power. Not guite as quick as my 540i

By on Thursday, December 11, 2014

"This car is great. The only drawback is the fact that it uses @ 1 guart of oil in 1200 miles. This is in spec. I knew the V8 twin turbo would not get good gas milage; @ 13 in city and 25 highway. Conering is good."

Bad experience

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

"On the way home the car indicated it was in need of coolant. Luckily I was 5 minutes from the gas station. As I pull into the station the oil pressure indicator came on indicating that pressure was very low. I opened the hood and saw oil everywhere. I had to get the car to a location roadside assistance could tow it, which was less than a mile from the road I was on. The display now was indicating the power train was becoming problematic. The car dealer thinks I may need a multi thousand dollar power train overhaul. The car is less than 3 years old. I have 2+ years of payments remaining. Just spent almost $1,000 on a Co2 sensor. Not that this isn't bad enough, a year into having the car I noticed the interior black paint on some of the accessories began stripping away from my finger nails accidentally scratching it. I thought to myself that that was odd for such an expensive car."

Great Drivers car but...........

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Reliable and high resale."

Cons: "Run Flat Tires"

"I'm now in my second 5 series in the last four years and my 2012 535i is a great "drivers" sedan. It's quick and nimble for a car it's size and weight, and is very comfortable for even long distance driving. The MAJOR drawback of this or ANY BMW today are those darn run-flat tires! My first 5 series got only 18K miles on the OEM set and this car got only 15K miles out of the first set. The tires themselves are very expensive, ride uncomfortably, and wear horribly. Some of the OEM brands are also non-replaceable in case of a puncture. I've spoken to both my service adviser and dealership manager and they say the tires are a constant source of complaints about the brand. Why then does BMW continue not to offer an alternative? I'm ready for another car in about three months and those tires might keep me from buying another BMW. A shame that such a "driving machine" has an Achilles heel."

awful car for the money.would never purchase again

By on Saturday, October 18, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "not likely"

"leased this car, and will never buy or lease another one. probably one of the most overvalued car out there. run flat tires are awful and uncomfortable. on and off a/c and heat when u turn off is just plain stupid, since it does have an on/off button. buyer beware! there are now a number of mid-size cars that are much better."