• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2014 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $42,814 - $45,471.

10/8.4

8.2

Based on 94 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Great car

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "a very great drive"

Cons: "tech can be a little hard to understand"

"Unique, cool and fun to drive."

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Makes you feel you are in a Lexus LS 460 for less money!"

Best I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

"3 years old and I still make excuses to go for a drive."

powerful and luxurious

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

"Great car for the value"

Impresses me everyday

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

"I loved my car till the accident on November. A bid truck trailer hit me from the back on an interstate in a stop an go traffic. $7000 worth of damages, and I will let you know how it drives afterwards. Up to that day, had no compliants, drove awesome (especially in Saw Mill parkway), very good in crusing..."

Love it!

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

"Handles great, runs great, looks great, comfortable, good gas mileage. No complants!"

Best 5 series Ever Built

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Gorgeous car to drive, sounds like a silent cat"

Cons: "Run flats too expensive, mini 7"

"I pre-ordered my bmw 528 back in Aug of 2010.. I watched it get built on the site and when i finally got it..I was amazed with the the difference of the previous generation with this one. From the way it felt sitting on, maneuvering, and safety. Safety was a 5 star, felt like i was wrapped with cushions in every corner. The tires are run flats( expensive to replace) but def worth it."

2011 535xi

By on Saturday, October 01, 2011

Pros: "Styling, finish."

Cons: "Read above. And tech is not great, iDrive clumsy. Esp scrolling music from an iPod."

"Hugely disappointing. I'll cut to the chase. There is tremendous lag or delay, when accelerating from a complete stop. The car delays for about .75 of a second before lurching forward. Are you kidding me? Apparently, other 535 owners are reporting the same, and when I took the car back to my local dealership, service confirmed the problem and said the same was found in other cars they tested. Why would BMW allow these cars to be sold? The car is beautiful, fit and finish better then Audi A6, but engine unacceptable. Stay away from this car."

2012 535i xDrive, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Premium

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "awesome quality, great performance, stylish"

Cons: "run-flat tires, softer steering compared to older"

"I've traded my old '03 530i for this car. I must admit I loathed the Chris Bangle's design of the 2004-2010 models and was excited when the sporty and stylish new 5 series were introduced in 2011. The new car is absolutely awesome in every respect, a genuine pleasure to drive, handles beautifully - although the steering is, indeed, just a bit "softer" than what you are used to if you have owned and enjoyed the earlier models - but not too soft or wobbly. The 535 is loaded with tasteful luxury, and sports elegance in every way. It is very quiet and comfortable. The seats are snug, slick, and very comfy. All driving modes are very smooth. The Eco mode is great for slow traffic. The Comfort and Comfort modes provide a good combination of spirited and comfortable driving. The car turns into a beast in the Sports mode: you really have to watch your speed, otherwise, in a few seconds, you will be going over 100 mph without knowing it. One complaint: the mandatory run-flat original tires the car comes with. The OE run-flats are too low-profile to use on the original [expensive] 19" rims (Sports Pkg) in the winter here in Boston. Too much risk of damaging the rims. So, the first thing I did was buy a set of cheap (but beautiful) 17" rims(17X8 Rial Salerno Silver) with regular winter tires (225/55R-16 Dunlop SP Winter Sort 3D) mounted on them, and I am planning to buy a set of high-performance [regular, low-profile] summer tires that I will put on the original rims for the summer. Note that the new 5-series comes without a spare, so if you dump your run-flats - and chances are you'd want to, you'd need a portable Tire Mobility Kit (BMW sells them, or you can buy a similar cheaper one elsewhere.)"

2011 550xi / Sport

By on Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pros: "Power when you want it, Luxury when you dont."

Cons: "Potholes in MA are a tad harsh w/ Sport suspension and 20" wheels."

"This new 550i for 2011, by my experience, trumps the competition and raises the bar in every possible way from the previous BMW 5 series. Not a fan of the previous 5er bodystyle; however, loved the one prior to that from 98-04. That said, they don't always get it right, but they hit bull's eye w/ this one all around. Performance is second to none; turbo-lag non existent. Adaptive driving modes (Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport ) shows that you can't please everybody with the the same thing, so you can decide how you want the car to respond - love that feature. Amount of technology in this car, especially when adding head-up display, comfort access,"

The Ultimate Driving Machine

By on Friday, November 19, 2010

"This is my 3rd 535i over the last 8 years. I had taken a European delivery and the experience in Munich was wonderful. There is a marked improvement over the 2008 model and the Comfort and Sports driving is wonderful except that it is a little smoother and does not give the road feel like the earlier one. I remember when I bought my first 5 series in 2002, the sales man told me while giving the keys that I challenge you to buy a different car make in future. He was right. I have test driven many others over the years and nothing can beat the BMW. I just love this car."

Poorest in Electronics, Sensors Reliability

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "Best Drivability. Excellent driver's car"

Cons: "Most Unreliable after 3-4 years. High Road Noise"

"I purchased new 535i in 2008 with 4years/50k warranty. As soon as 4 years are over, and with only average of 8k miles per year, it has bogged down with 2 recalls, numerous erratic engine check. So many times went for service just for sensor check, reset....and each time Kearny Mesa BMW in San Diego, will find some problem. No problem was found in 4 years, but now they discover all problems even when it has only 42K miles. My battery died in a small town. After changing there and driving few miles all sorts of warning, engine shutdown, started coming. My BMW dealer said that the battery MUST be purchased in BMW only and needs computer reset, that cannot be done elsewhere. Lo!...what poor design....what if there is no BMW dealer in a town or highway!! The list goes on and on. However, I must say that no car drives as well as BMW. But sell it fast within 4 years of warranty to lessen headaches. Now, I will buy a Lexus or even Honda or Camry or other more reliable car, with decent performance.This car is for young drivers only for speed."

I recently bought a 550i sport and love it.

By on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pros: "performance, style, interior, family space (trunk)"

Cons: "the cup holders block some controls."

"I test drove the A6, E550, CTSV and Lexus. The BMW was the last car I test drove and I knew within a few minutes I was going to own one. This is the first BMW I've owned and I'm a fan now. If you decide to buy one, I recommend the DINAN stage 2 chip upgrade. I did and my 550i is now equal to the CTSV. I've owned a few nice cars C43, Porsche 996 Turbo and a Shelby GT500. This is the best one so far, no matter what the reviews say, this car is awesome!"

Gotta love that German engineering!

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, quiet cabin, free maintenance"

Cons: "voice ativation issues"

"As a previous MB and LS460 owner just to name a few. The 5 series is clearly the best thats offered today in terms of performance, quality and style. Great gas mileage BTW which is great nowadays! Check it out!"

550 xDrive Is A Beauty And A Beast

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Fast, great looking, all the creature comforts"

Cons: "Weight, run-flat tires, steering and Nav"

"I love almost everything about this car, and it is certainly one of the best 4-door sedans in its class ever made. I prefer light colored exteriors (look good even a week after they're washed), and lighter interiors with good contrast (easy to see how absolutely incredible the BMW interior is), which can be a bit hard to find on these cars. I found a white one with the Oyster on Black interior which looks fantastic. The Beauty: To start, there is not a better looking sedan on the road, IMHO. The styling says class while retaining the strong, aggressive stance that BMWs are known for, and avoids the over-styling of many of the Japanese and American makes. The seats are some of the best in the business (make sure and get the sport buckets!), and the interior appointments are driver focused but make passengers feel like welcomed guests. The Beast: 450 lb-ft of torque matched to one of the smoothest 8-speeds in the business. It needs to be in Sport mode to really get a sense for what this car can do. With loads of torque to spare, the drivetrain gets this 4,600 pound beast moving 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds (yes, the xDrive is 0.3 faster than the RWD!). You won't see many cars on the road that are faster. Even a late model Carrera with a stick will have to hit every shift just right to take this car. And they can't take their friends to lunch in that little coupe. My only beefs with the car? 1) Too heavy makes it less responsive than it could be, so-so on gas, and bad on tires and brakes 2) run-flat tires (uugghhh) 3) Connection to the road a tad numb (the suspension is ok, it's the steering that is most wanting) and 4) the Nav system is a bit clunky (just get Google maps and/or iOS in there!) Still, this is the best sedan on the market IMHO - good enough to keep a smile on your face everyday - and that's how much you will want to drive it. It is a near perfect balance of power, comfort and styling. And hey, if there weren't any flaws, I wouldn't have an excuse to upgrade in a few years. :)"

excellent car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "see above"

Cons: "see above"

"i traded in my jaguar xf for this car...the jag was getting terrible gas mileage and needed new brakes every 15k or so....at a cost of almost one thousand dollars.....i first looked at an audi, but after test driving it, and then the bmw 5 i felt there was no comparison....i think the one draw back is storage space in the front....barely enough for a pair of sunglasses and a few items in the center console.....also, seems strange that a car that ran me over 60k has no spare....yes, run on flat tires, but would of rather regular tires with a spare....."

BMW is not the utimate driving machine

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Good Gas Milage"

Cons: "Poor Value, and Reliability"

"For what this car cost it is not in my top ten. It rattles, has been in the shop 3 times and BMW still has not fixed the problem. I don't think they will ever fix the problem. My advice stay away and get something else."

This car is a beast!

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles well, excellent gas milage"

"The new body style and the improved engine performance make this a winner! This is my fourth 5 series and by far this top them all. BMW knows how to move the bar."

Third BMW, last BMW...

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Reason: Not reliable

Pros: "Great handling, nice features"

Cons: "Not reliable"

"I didn't think I could ever drive anything but a Bimmer. The handling, ride, and features of BMW are great- when they're working. My 535i had electrical issues, brake squeaks that could never be resolved, and spent significant amounts of time in the shop for warranty work. The run-flat tires caused the sensors to alert frequently (temperature variations, etc.) The last straw was when the car completely shut down WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. Fun fact, there's no easy way to put a BMW into neutral and push it out of a busy roadway after the electrical system shuts down. Mind you, the car was only about 20 months old. It was ridiculous driving a beautiful new BMW and having squealing brakes at every stop, which the dealer never resolved and even tried to blame on the way I was braking."

No one can beat BMW's warranty

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Great technology, smooth, & quiet, fun to drive"

Cons: "Body style lackluster, leather needs improvement"

"Debated between the E-Class & 5 series, but as a current happy 5-series owner, I've learned the power & peace of mind stemming from BMW's warranty program. My 2004 525i lasted 9 1/2 years w/ really no issues other than what was covered under the warranty (& it's still in great shape, but I was ready for a new car). Wish Mercedes would step up to the plate with the same offering w/ no additional cost. The new 528i 2014 interior is definitely upgraded. Technology is mind boggling! A smooth drive. Only disappointment is that the body style is so similar to the 3 series. I loved the distinguishable look of the '04 body. But I caved in and bought another 5 series due to the reliability!"

Terrific car but not enough back-seat room

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Truly the ultimate driving machine"

Cons: "rear seat room"

"Terrific -- it's the 5th BMW I've owned. However, rear seating is not adequate (foot room) and function control wheel is very complicated to use. I'm certain there are many functions I don't use/understand. Turbo much quicker than a similar 528i, even if only 75 hp more. If you like music, be sure to upgrade radio/CD system as the standard one is sub-par and I'm not prepared to have an upgrade installed at the dealership for $4,500-$5,000. If you find one already installed by the factory, it only costs an additional $800-$1,000, Also, I'm very lucky to have found this used, spotless 2013 535i 4 wheel drive with only 9,500 miles on it! I think the ride is far superior to a similiar Mercedes Benz."

BMW 5 Series Goes Luxury

By on Tuesday, November 09, 2010

"This is one of several BMWs I currently own and the fourth 5 series. Compared with prior versions such as the '08 and '03 models, this car is definitely more luxurious in trim, feel. and passenger comfort. At least that's what my passengers say. I'm always driving it. To be honest, it has lost some of the more sporting feel and handling of previous models in favor of more which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's just a departure in packaging from previous models. My only real gripe is the electronic steering which has removed all road feel from the driving experience. The steering is very sensitive to even small movements of the steering wheel which takes a little getting used to. Seating is very comfortable even on long trips. Fuel economy is quite good for a car this size averaging about 23MPG. Acceleration is extremely smooth and I find myself going much faster than I think I am. The i-Drive is much more intuitive now than before so you don't even need to read the Owner's Manual to figure it out! Overall a great car."

Incredible Car!

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Great economy. Fun to drive"

"We drove this BMW 525 X Drive Diesel rental for two weeks around Europe including Germany, Austria, Italy. The 5 Series X Drive Diesel was flawless. Fuel runs around $8 per gallon in Europe so having a diesel was great. I thought we would have to trade performance for economy. Not at all! We drove Germany Autobahn speeds and winding mountain roads without any hesitation. Quiet with plenty of power and fun to drive. The navigation system is intuitive. The parking sensors really helped out in those tight Italian parking spots. Awesome Car! Why don't we have more diesel cars in the US?"

A good balance between performance and comfort

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "performance, comfort, interior/exterior design"

Cons: "none so far at 7,000 miles"

"I was looking to complement my Boxster with a sedan that offered comfort and performance. After test driving the 2013 528i model, I decided I don't need to look any further. Acceleration-wise, its about the same or perhaps even faster than my Boxster; the BMW engineers have performed a minor miracle with this 2.0 twin-turbo engine linked to a 8-speed trans. And the 528i is extremely comfortable (added the optional lux seats and some other convenience options) and way more fuel efficient (29mpg combined city/highway so far with 7,000 miles) Granted, the Boxster engine sound is pure joy to hear vs the diesel-like sound coming from the 2.0 engine. But the sound-proofing keeps all engine and other noises out. As for handling and cornering, the Boxster of course is in a different class, but the 528i handling is not bad for a 5-seater sedan . My other favorite aspect is the interior: elegant, functional and well finished. Overall, a great car experience."

Love Love Love the Car

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Best BMW, owned 2 - 3's and 3 - 5's"

Cons: "Run Flat Tires - I wish they were real tires!"

Nice and Clean

"Just traded in the 2008 535xit Sport Wagon for the new 5281 x drive. I am amazed! The ride, the power, the styling, the iDrive - all amazing. I recommend the BMW Apps feature and the Concierge Service. You can look up your destination on GoogleMaps and send it to the car in just a few clicks. Otherwise in the car, BMW Online connects you to the internet via Google for searches, included apps are; fuel prices, and Yelp - even the weather displays on your screen. The BMW Apps allows internet radio and Pandora, but you are using your data plan. The interior lighting is pleasant and well as the comfort and design of the seats. The rear heated seats make my children happy while waitng for the bus in the morning. If they could make this model a convertible - I would buy it! Going from a 300hp 6 cylinder engine to the new 240hp 4 cylinder has not been an issue - it is nice to have the choice of ECO, Comfort or Sport for power. I have no complaints. I do miss my panoranic sunroof though."

Nice and Clean