• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2013 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $51,861 - $54,899.

10/8.5

8.3

Based on 70 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Beware of M-Sport package w/ 19" wheels

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Good compromise car"

Cons: "Horribly soft wheels"

"Watch the potholes! As a former M3 driver, the 5 series M-Sport is a great compromise car for running the family around while retaining the ability to engage in spirited driving. Unfortunately the 19" wheels bend far too easily. Had two wheels straightened in 3 months of winter driving. Car looks great. Plenty of power at 300 hp for the 535. Went with Xdrive for practicality. If you live in a climate with snow, opt for the 18" wheels, or buy a 911 for fun, and a Wrangler for winter."

Awesome driving machine

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

"Very satisfied"

A cachet name with mediocre performance

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "cachet name"

Cons: "bland interior, mediocre performance"

"I was in the market for a an upscale midsize sports sedan so I test drove the BMW 5281 2013. Stepping into the car I was underwhelmed. for a $50,000 car it was so Spartan with its uncomfortable synthetic leather seats and simple dashboard design but it is a BMW so I agreed to drive it. I had earlier driven the Tesla and Infiniti M37S and made some comparisons while driving. The Tesla S was smoother than the BMW and the Infiniti had a gorgeous interior and clearly out handled (0-60 in 5 seconds) the BMW. IMHO, I think the BMW 5281 is a good car as Consumer Report gave it 82 points but they also gave the Infiniti M37 93 points and Tesla its highest score at 99 points. I won't tell you which car I bought but I certainly didn't spend $50,000 on a 5 series with vinyl seats. If you want something more than a Cachet name then do some reading and then do some driving..... its the only way to buy a car :}"

A great car, with different pesonalities

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "all good, great all around car"

Cons: "summer tires wear out under 30000 mi"

"super driver, from sport to comfort adjustments, great 8speed trans, great looking car"

IMPOSSIBLE TO TOW OR SERVICE IN A TIMELY FASHION

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Cons: "GAS MILEAGE NOT AS ADVERTISED, BMW SERVICE A JOKE."

"GOOD LUCK HAVING THIS CAR TOWED. THE TOW TRUCK DRIVER HAS TO CRAWL UNDERNEATH IT TO PUT IT IN NEUTRAL. HE TOLD ME HE WOULD NEVER DO THAT ON THE HIGHWAY SO YOU RISK DAMAGING YOUR TRANSMISSION WHEN THEY LOAD IT. FYI RUN FLAT TIRES SOUND LIKE A GREAT IDEA BUT ARE $300 TO REPLACE EACH TIME YOU HAVE A FLAT. THE BMW SERVICE CENTER TOOK TWO WEEKS TO GET A MUFFLER PART FROM GERMANY AND THEN TOLD ME IT NEEDED ANOTHER PART THAT WAS BACKORDERED TWO MONTHS! WHEN I COMPLAINED THEY SUGGESTED I JUST DRIVE IT WITH THE DAMAGED MUFFLER. I'M PAYING $1000/MO FOR THIS BAD SERVICE? THE DEALER COULD'T CARE LESS AND WOULDN'T GET INVOLVED. I'M GOING BACK TO MERCEDES."

Third BMW, last BMW...

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Reason: Not reliable

Pros: "Great handling, nice features"

Cons: "Not reliable"

"I didn't think I could ever drive anything but a Bimmer. The handling, ride, and features of BMW are great- when they're working. My 535i had electrical issues, brake squeaks that could never be resolved, and spent significant amounts of time in the shop for warranty work. The run-flat tires caused the sensors to alert frequently (temperature variations, etc.) The last straw was when the car completely shut down WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. Fun fact, there's no easy way to put a BMW into neutral and push it out of a busy roadway after the electrical system shuts down. Mind you, the car was only about 20 months old. It was ridiculous driving a beautiful new BMW and having squealing brakes at every stop, which the dealer never resolved and even tried to blame on the way I was braking."

550 xDrive Is A Beauty And A Beast

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Fast, great looking, all the creature comforts"

Cons: "Weight, run-flat tires, steering and Nav"

"I love almost everything about this car, and it is certainly one of the best 4-door sedans in its class ever made. I prefer light colored exteriors (look good even a week after they're washed), and lighter interiors with good contrast (easy to see how absolutely incredible the BMW interior is), which can be a bit hard to find on these cars. I found a white one with the Oyster on Black interior which looks fantastic. The Beauty: To start, there is not a better looking sedan on the road, IMHO. The styling says class while retaining the strong, aggressive stance that BMWs are known for, and avoids the over-styling of many of the Japanese and American makes. The seats are some of the best in the business (make sure and get the sport buckets!), and the interior appointments are driver focused but make passengers feel like welcomed guests. The Beast: 450 lb-ft of torque matched to one of the smoothest 8-speeds in the business. It needs to be in Sport mode to really get a sense for what this car can do. With loads of torque to spare, the drivetrain gets this 4,600 pound beast moving 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds (yes, the xDrive is 0.3 faster than the RWD!). You won't see many cars on the road that are faster. Even a late model Carrera with a stick will have to hit every shift just right to take this car. And they can't take their friends to lunch in that little coupe. My only beefs with the car? 1) Too heavy makes it less responsive than it could be, so-so on gas, and bad on tires and brakes 2) run-flat tires (uugghhh) 3) Connection to the road a tad numb (the suspension is ok, it's the steering that is most wanting) and 4) the Nav system is a bit clunky (just get Google maps and/or iOS in there!) Still, this is the best sedan on the market IMHO - good enough to keep a smile on your face everyday - and that's how much you will want to drive it. It is a near perfect balance of power, comfort and styling. And hey, if there weren't any flaws, I wouldn't have an excuse to upgrade in a few years. :)"

Unique alternative to a station wagon

By on Friday, January 17, 2014

Pros: "Back seat! Style, features"

Cons: "GPS, mechanical issues,"

"I've had this car for about 5 months bought it as a CPO with 14K miles on it. It has had some mechanical quirks -which have required multiple trips to the shop. The car is a head-turner, reading the reviews on line I expected people to tell me how much they hated it but in fact most people say that they love it. It fits the child seats in the back seat very nicely -there is much more room in the back seat than my old 2001 5 series. The sport mode is my favorite to drive in. We have been able to take it on 2 road trips -both times it handeled the weekend luggage and kept us all very comfortable on the ride. I'm going to get a cargo liner for the rear compartment, and I had the windows tinted - I'm hoping the mechanical issues settle down so I can truley enjoy the car."

No one can beat BMW's warranty

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Great technology, smooth, & quiet, fun to drive"

Cons: "Body style lackluster, leather needs improvement"

"Debated between the E-Class & 5 series, but as a current happy 5-series owner, I've learned the power & peace of mind stemming from BMW's warranty program. My 2004 525i lasted 9 1/2 years w/ really no issues other than what was covered under the warranty (& it's still in great shape, but I was ready for a new car). Wish Mercedes would step up to the plate with the same offering w/ no additional cost. The new 528i 2014 interior is definitely upgraded. Technology is mind boggling! A smooth drive. Only disappointment is that the body style is so similar to the 3 series. I loved the distinguishable look of the '04 body. But I caved in and bought another 5 series due to the reliability!"

EXCELLENT CAR!

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "VERY VERSATILE, EXCELLENT LONG DISTANCE DRIVER"

Cons: "POOR RESALE AND FUEL ECONOMY"

"Great car overall. I can fit my Great Dane in the back. It is a luxury tourer when I need it. Great in the snow with snow tires. Quiet and really fast! I do wish it got better gas mileage. I get only about 21mpg on the interstate at 80mph."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25