• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2012 BMW 5 Series

8.3

Based on 77 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Absolute thrill to drive

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Simply a fun car to drive."

Cons: "Navigation system does not display speed limit."

"Purchased new. Three years and 30,000 miles later, this car is absolutely the best moderately priced sport car on the road. Have recently driven a Porsche Cayenne Turbo for one week and could not wait to get back into my BMW. Responsiveness and handling are tops. BMW could put a few more luxuries inside such as A/C seats and tire monitoring system that tells the air pressure."

best car I ever owned!

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

"This car is dependable, safe, and a pleasure to drive."

Terrific car but not enough back-seat room

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Truly the ultimate driving machine"

Cons: "rear seat room"

"Terrific -- it's the 5th BMW I've owned. However, rear seating is not adequate (foot room) and function control wheel is very complicated to use. I'm certain there are many functions I don't use/understand. Turbo much quicker than a similar 528i, even if only 75 hp more. If you like music, be sure to upgrade radio/CD system as the standard one is sub-par and I'm not prepared to have an upgrade installed at the dealership for $4,500-$5,000. If you find one already installed by the factory, it only costs an additional $800-$1,000, Also, I'm very lucky to have found this used, spotless 2013 535i 4 wheel drive with only 9,500 miles on it! I think the ride is far superior to a similiar Mercedes Benz."

my best

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "great car and definetly fun to drive"

Cons: "that they changed the light and hp on14"

"great car anyone will love this vehicle not to small not to big."

ahh its a goo car you just have to take care of it

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "it look nice on the inside and the outside"

Cons: "gas"

"i like the looks of this car it will pasin my book"

Great car to drive and good looking!

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Expensive tires!"

"I will buy another BMW!"

BEST VEHICLE EVER

By on Sunday, May 04, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive; fast; dependable; perfect int. room"

Cons: "Nothing noted; I-Drive over-complicated"

"I have a 2013 BMW 535i, loaded -- M PKG, lease, had it for 15 months. - Love it; fun to drive; fast;"

Beware of M-Sport package w/ 19" wheels

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Good compromise car"

Cons: "Horribly soft wheels"

"Watch the potholes! As a former M3 driver, the 5 series M-Sport is a great compromise car for running the family around while retaining the ability to engage in spirited driving. Unfortunately the 19" wheels bend far too easily. Had two wheels straightened in 3 months of winter driving. Car looks great. Plenty of power at 300 hp for the 535. Went with Xdrive for practicality. If you live in a climate with snow, opt for the 18" wheels, or buy a 911 for fun, and a Wrangler for winter."

Awesome driving machine

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

"Very satisfied"

A cachet name with mediocre performance

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "cachet name"

Cons: "bland interior, mediocre performance"

"I was in the market for a an upscale midsize sports sedan so I test drove the BMW 5281 2013. Stepping into the car I was underwhelmed. for a $50,000 car it was so Spartan with its uncomfortable synthetic leather seats and simple dashboard design but it is a BMW so I agreed to drive it. I had earlier driven the Tesla and Infiniti M37S and made some comparisons while driving. The Tesla S was smoother than the BMW and the Infiniti had a gorgeous interior and clearly out handled (0-60 in 5 seconds) the BMW. IMHO, I think the BMW 5281 is a good car as Consumer Report gave it 82 points but they also gave the Infiniti M37 93 points and Tesla its highest score at 99 points. I won't tell you which car I bought but I certainly didn't spend $50,000 on a 5 series with vinyl seats. If you want something more than a Cachet name then do some reading and then do some driving..... its the only way to buy a car :}"

A great car, with different pesonalities

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "all good, great all around car"

Cons: "summer tires wear out under 30000 mi"

"super driver, from sport to comfort adjustments, great 8speed trans, great looking car"

IMPOSSIBLE TO TOW OR SERVICE IN A TIMELY FASHION

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Cons: "GAS MILEAGE NOT AS ADVERTISED, BMW SERVICE A JOKE."

"GOOD LUCK HAVING THIS CAR TOWED. THE TOW TRUCK DRIVER HAS TO CRAWL UNDERNEATH IT TO PUT IT IN NEUTRAL. HE TOLD ME HE WOULD NEVER DO THAT ON THE HIGHWAY SO YOU RISK DAMAGING YOUR TRANSMISSION WHEN THEY LOAD IT. FYI RUN FLAT TIRES SOUND LIKE A GREAT IDEA BUT ARE $300 TO REPLACE EACH TIME YOU HAVE A FLAT. THE BMW SERVICE CENTER TOOK TWO WEEKS TO GET A MUFFLER PART FROM GERMANY AND THEN TOLD ME IT NEEDED ANOTHER PART THAT WAS BACKORDERED TWO MONTHS! WHEN I COMPLAINED THEY SUGGESTED I JUST DRIVE IT WITH THE DAMAGED MUFFLER. I'M PAYING $1000/MO FOR THIS BAD SERVICE? THE DEALER COULD'T CARE LESS AND WOULDN'T GET INVOLVED. I'M GOING BACK TO MERCEDES."

Third BMW, last BMW...

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Reason: Not reliable

Pros: "Great handling, nice features"

Cons: "Not reliable"

"I didn't think I could ever drive anything but a Bimmer. The handling, ride, and features of BMW are great- when they're working. My 535i had electrical issues, brake squeaks that could never be resolved, and spent significant amounts of time in the shop for warranty work. The run-flat tires caused the sensors to alert frequently (temperature variations, etc.) The last straw was when the car completely shut down WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. Fun fact, there's no easy way to put a BMW into neutral and push it out of a busy roadway after the electrical system shuts down. Mind you, the car was only about 20 months old. It was ridiculous driving a beautiful new BMW and having squealing brakes at every stop, which the dealer never resolved and even tried to blame on the way I was braking."

550 xDrive Is A Beauty And A Beast

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Fast, great looking, all the creature comforts"

Cons: "Weight, run-flat tires, steering and Nav"

"I love almost everything about this car, and it is certainly one of the best 4-door sedans in its class ever made. I prefer light colored exteriors (look good even a week after they're washed), and lighter interiors with good contrast (easy to see how absolutely incredible the BMW interior is), which can be a bit hard to find on these cars. I found a white one with the Oyster on Black interior which looks fantastic. The Beauty: To start, there is not a better looking sedan on the road, IMHO. The styling says class while retaining the strong, aggressive stance that BMWs are known for, and avoids the over-styling of many of the Japanese and American makes. The seats are some of the best in the business (make sure and get the sport buckets!), and the interior appointments are driver focused but make passengers feel like welcomed guests. The Beast: 450 lb-ft of torque matched to one of the smoothest 8-speeds in the business. It needs to be in Sport mode to really get a sense for what this car can do. With loads of torque to spare, the drivetrain gets this 4,600 pound beast moving 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds (yes, the xDrive is 0.3 faster than the RWD!). You won't see many cars on the road that are faster. Even a late model Carrera with a stick will have to hit every shift just right to take this car. And they can't take their friends to lunch in that little coupe. My only beefs with the car? 1) Too heavy makes it less responsive than it could be, so-so on gas, and bad on tires and brakes 2) run-flat tires (uugghhh) 3) Connection to the road a tad numb (the suspension is ok, it's the steering that is most wanting) and 4) the Nav system is a bit clunky (just get Google maps and/or iOS in there!) Still, this is the best sedan on the market IMHO - good enough to keep a smile on your face everyday - and that's how much you will want to drive it. It is a near perfect balance of power, comfort and styling. And hey, if there weren't any flaws, I wouldn't have an excuse to upgrade in a few years. :)"

Unique alternative to a station wagon

By on Friday, January 17, 2014

Pros: "Back seat! Style, features"

Cons: "GPS, mechanical issues,"

"I've had this car for about 5 months bought it as a CPO with 14K miles on it. It has had some mechanical quirks -which have required multiple trips to the shop. The car is a head-turner, reading the reviews on line I expected people to tell me how much they hated it but in fact most people say that they love it. It fits the child seats in the back seat very nicely -there is much more room in the back seat than my old 2001 5 series. The sport mode is my favorite to drive in. We have been able to take it on 2 road trips -both times it handeled the weekend luggage and kept us all very comfortable on the ride. I'm going to get a cargo liner for the rear compartment, and I had the windows tinted - I'm hoping the mechanical issues settle down so I can truley enjoy the car."

No one can beat BMW's warranty

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Great technology, smooth, & quiet, fun to drive"

Cons: "Body style lackluster, leather needs improvement"

"Debated between the E-Class & 5 series, but as a current happy 5-series owner, I've learned the power & peace of mind stemming from BMW's warranty program. My 2004 525i lasted 9 1/2 years w/ really no issues other than what was covered under the warranty (& it's still in great shape, but I was ready for a new car). Wish Mercedes would step up to the plate with the same offering w/ no additional cost. The new 528i 2014 interior is definitely upgraded. Technology is mind boggling! A smooth drive. Only disappointment is that the body style is so similar to the 3 series. I loved the distinguishable look of the '04 body. But I caved in and bought another 5 series due to the reliability!"

EXCELLENT CAR!

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "VERY VERSATILE, EXCELLENT LONG DISTANCE DRIVER"

Cons: "POOR RESALE AND FUEL ECONOMY"

"Great car overall. I can fit my Great Dane in the back. It is a luxury tourer when I need it. Great in the snow with snow tires. Quiet and really fast! I do wish it got better gas mileage. I get only about 21mpg on the interstate at 80mph."

Very Happy With This Car

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "looks great, rides great, lots of standard options"

Cons: "concerned about the run flat tires"

"I bought this car about a month ago. Great handling, appearance. performance and gas mileage. This is the 528i which is powered by a 4 cyl turbo. Amazing quickness for a 4 cyl. and the benefit of excellent fuel economy (24/34 mpg). Still learning all of the capablities with the electonics, navigation and entertainment system - but so far if does everything I've wanted and more. While not a problem, I do have one point of concern. The car somes with run flat tires which I did not research before buying the car. The good news is that you can drive up to 100 miles on a flat. The bad news is it's very expensive to replace them ($500 per tire). The tires ride fine and I haven't had any problems, but I am concerned about the cost when I have to replace them."

amazing has mileage for a car of this size.

By on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

"very pleased with the mileage, power and ride. almost a perfect combination of the three."

Incredible Car!

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Great economy. Fun to drive"

"We drove this BMW 525 X Drive Diesel rental for two weeks around Europe including Germany, Austria, Italy. The 5 Series X Drive Diesel was flawless. Fuel runs around $8 per gallon in Europe so having a diesel was great. I thought we would have to trade performance for economy. Not at all! We drove Germany Autobahn speeds and winding mountain roads without any hesitation. Quiet with plenty of power and fun to drive. The navigation system is intuitive. The parking sensors really helped out in those tight Italian parking spots. Awesome Car! Why don't we have more diesel cars in the US?"

Best I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

"3 years old and I still make excuses to go for a drive."

Love the car

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pros: "great looking and smooth ride"

Cons: "needs more power"

"Love the car. It only needs an over boost for quicker acceleration."

excellent car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "see above"

Cons: "see above"

"i traded in my jaguar xf for this car...the jag was getting terrible gas mileage and needed new brakes every 15k or so....at a cost of almost one thousand dollars.....i first looked at an audi, but after test driving it, and then the bmw 5 i felt there was no comparison....i think the one draw back is storage space in the front....barely enough for a pair of sunglasses and a few items in the center console.....also, seems strange that a car that ran me over 60k has no spare....yes, run on flat tires, but would of rather regular tires with a spare....."

Best All wheel Drive system

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Cons: "no leg room in front with baby seat in back"

"I leased this car after selling my 2006 Mercedes Benz E55. The BMW has some of the power, but has more technology and handles better. Yes we are comparing an all wheel drive to a rear wheel muscle car. This is a great car. Get the M Sport Package, it sets the car off. This is the best all around car I've ever had and comes in second to the AMG for fun to drive."

Perfect balance between sport and luxury

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "Luxury and sport"

Cons: "Stereo sound not great"

"I was looking for a mid-sized luxury sport sedan. Test drove Mercedes E550, Jaguar XF, Audi A6 and Lexus GS 460. Was open to buying any one of those. But, the BMW was just simply the best. Have had it 2 years and have had no problems to date. The only mild negative is the stereo sound. Its above average, but should be better. The best feature is just how perfect it balances luxury and sportiness."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 5 Series near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for