• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2008 BMW 5 Series

Based on 544 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

Great experience overall...

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pros: "style, power, room, comfort, performance!"

Cons: "cargo space, oil consumption, cost to maintain."

"Stylish and strong with major handles all packaged in a wagon! This car is one of the best wagon's I've owned and I love the panoramic roof. I have a fetish for wagons and have relished my Volvo 700 series wagons (4) and Mercedes E320 wagons (2), but this BMW wagon gets serious points for style and power. I was always a bit reluctant to dig my Mercedes wagons into a curves at 50 mph -- but no problem in this Beemer. It takes curves like a marathoner takes a jog. I'm very impressed! Also, there is more rear leg room in this wagon than the Mercedes, but the cargo area and third seat option in the Benz allows much more versatility. Thank God for the roof rack, because that's the only way we can carry 4-5 people on anything beyond a weekend trip. I'm a little concerned about a couple of trans fail warnings and oil warnings, but I'm finding these to be fairly common issues with high mile ownership. This car will likely make me a BMW 5 series enthusiast. Take a test drive today!"

Interior excellent. Exterior needs some touch up.

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Great driving, lots of fun to drive.aq"

"Only problem I'm aware of is break roters are warped. Breaks in good shape."

My 4th. BMW & by far the best!

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Superb ride & handling"

Cons: "Maintenance is pricey"

"I have owned my 2005 545i for 5 years. It has treated me well with just routine maintenance other than run-flat tires that I just replaced with regular tires. The ride is much smoother-the way BMW is supposed to be. My car is loaded with options-sport pkg., cold weather pkg., SMG with 6 speed, navigation, adaptive cruise control, premium sound. This car is a hoot to drive. Sporty & luxurious, doesn't get any better than that. From the rain sensing wipers, heads up display, passenger side mirror that tilts down when in reverse to the SMG clutch ( sport, auto or semi-auto mode ) German engineering has it all over everyone else."

Love this car!

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "There's no perfect car, but this one is close!"

"Awesome vehicle...always a pleasurable driving experience"

Good car, but...

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, drive"

Cons: "weird cupholder location, vibrations"

"I purchased my 2008 CPO car about 5 years ago. The good thing about this car is the steering. It is awesome and feels very precise. My other American made truck can be driven with my pinky finger and I don't really like that. The car has not broken down so far (knock on wood), but I have had other weird problems that the dealership was not able/not willing to fix. The engine feels powerful with a great fuel economy. I get around 24 mpg (however my drive averages 29 mph with some stop and go miles). The triptronic transmission is good to give it a manual feel, but I have rarely used it. Now the bad things: Firstly, the ride is a bit rough. You feel every seam and joint on the road. Feels good at first, but then it is not exactly an M5. The suspension could've been a little softer, or at least adjustable. Secondly, there are vibrations when idling which the dealer was not able to fix. They made me change the engine mounts at my own expense when the car was not even 4 years old, and said the warranty does not cover it. It has gone down quite a bit, but still feel it every now and then. It is very irritating to have paid so much for a car that the dealer and BMW does not stand behind. The window regulator is going, which is a common problem for most BMWs. The sunroof leaks in most BMWs, but I park mine under a roof 99% of the time. Everything is $$$. Even an oil change is $150 (though they recommend you change it every 15,000 miles, which I think is too infrequent)."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 5 Series near Honolulu. See local deals