• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2008 BMW 5 Series

Based on 540 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

Good car, but...

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, drive"

Cons: "weird cupholder location, vibrations"

"I purchased my 2008 CPO car about 5 years ago. The good thing about this car is the steering. It is awesome and feels very precise. My other American made truck can be driven with my pinky finger and I don't really like that. The car has not broken down so far (knock on wood), but I have had other weird problems that the dealership was not able/not willing to fix. The engine feels powerful with a great fuel economy. I get around 24 mpg (however my drive averages 29 mph with some stop and go miles). The triptronic transmission is good to give it a manual feel, but I have rarely used it. Now the bad things: Firstly, the ride is a bit rough. You feel every seam and joint on the road. Feels good at first, but then it is not exactly an M5. The suspension could've been a little softer, or at least adjustable. Secondly, there are vibrations when idling which the dealer was not able to fix. They made me change the engine mounts at my own expense when the car was not even 4 years old, and said the warranty does not cover it. It has gone down quite a bit, but still feel it every now and then. It is very irritating to have paid so much for a car that the dealer and BMW does not stand behind. The window regulator is going, which is a common problem for most BMWs. The sunroof leaks in most BMWs, but I park mine under a roof 99% of the time. Everything is $$$. Even an oil change is $150 (though they recommend you change it every 15,000 miles, which I think is too infrequent)."

Best car I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, efficient, fast, fun, looks great"

Cons: "iDrive, iDrive, iDrive. Only takes premium fuel."

"I love my 530xi - it does it all. What else can cruise on the highway at 75/80 mph getting 30+mpg, yet feels like a sports car when you punch it around a turn? I bought pre-owned certified, and I highly recommend the program. The car looked new with 3 years and 30k miles on it, and was 50% of the cost of a new one with an extended warranty. Everything you hear about the early iDrive is true - it is the one low point on the car. No repairs other than wear items like tires, 2 ignition coils, airfilter etc. I will drive it into the ground and then get another."

Good until sunroof leaked

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "great pickup, smooth drive, comfortable"

Cons: "Sunroof, cost"

"Payed this car off and was planning on driving it for at least 10 years. I have had no real issues that I didn't expect like how expensive maintenance is and the cost to replace runflat tires. The windshield wipers do not last long on this vehicle and they, too, are expensive to replace, but that was no surprise and I didn't mind as the car has been my favorite to drive ever. BUT we recently had to leave it parked outside of the garage for a few days during which we had rain every day some of it hard but not a hurricane. Shortly after I started noticing a bad odor. I looked for anything that might be wet - everything seemed ok. Then we went on vacation and it was in the park and ride for a week. The odor when we returned was horrific - obvious mold. We have since pulled the back seat out after I felt dampness when sticking my fingers in the crevice. It was full of water. We washed it all down with vinegar, dried it, and wiped it with vanilla. It smells fine now but what if I have to park outside again? I wish it didn't come with a sunroof."

I love my car.

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "Wonderfully balanced, taut driver's car"

Cons: "Typically worthless German cupholders"

"I bought my Bimmer used but in excellent condition with the true manual transmission almost 2.5 years ago. It has been a joy in practically every respect. I've put 30,000 miles on the car, and apart from standard services (oil and a set of plugs) the only expenditures have been for a set of tires, shocks and struts (replaced the originals after 100k miles) the DVD player which runs the GPS (only $125 and a couple hours of my time to do it myself) and a starter. Yes, the iDrive was not so refined the first year but the HUD for the nav system is cool, and the only other annoyance is a little wind noise from the sunroof and that the passenger side window thinks someone's head is in the way once in a while. All minor for such a handsome, well made, and beautifully handling car. It never fails to impress friends and colleagues."

I love this car

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "Amazing to drive, most comfortable seats ever"

Cons: "Maintenence cost is high when it needs it"

"I have had BMWs all my life, and several V8 5 Series. I have a 2008 M-Sport and this is the best car I have ever owned. I bought it used with 80k miles on it, and got it cheap planning on doing some work to it. I would advise that around 75-80k most BMW V8s (in my experience) need to have the cooling system (radiator, water pump, belts, hoses replaced) which usually runs about $2-3k, as well as some suspension parts (control arms, bushings) which can also run $1-2k. Other than that, I have never had anything besides regular brakes, tires, oil, etc. You pay more for the work, but get better quality and driving experience for longer. I would definitely make sure to get the Logic7 stereo and Comfort Seats...they are absolutely worth it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 5 Series near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for