• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2002 BMW 5 Series

Based on 663 Ratings for the 1997 - 2003 models.

Have Heard Horror Stories But Mine Has Been Great

By on Thursday, January 15, 2015

Pros: "Handling, Acceleration, MPG"

Cons: "Worst Cupholder, No Sunglass Holder, maintaince $"

"We purchased this vehicle from friends of my parents. When I first met my moms friend I saw this women whom I hadn't met pull up in this car and I thought to myself "wow that is a nice car." After harassing my parents friends for 5 years to sell me this car they finally did! Mine is a 2003 525i, with the sport (m) package, manual 5-speed. The original window sticker gives an MSRP of over $43,000. Our Friends bought it CPO in 2004 or 2005 with 19,000 miles. The window sticker from when they bought it lists the price at over $32,000. We bought it in September 2014 for $5,400 when it had 93,000 miles. This car is an absolute thrill to drive. Even though it was 11-years old and coming up on 100k when I bought it I felt as if I was driving a brand new car. My one and only real complaint is the cup holders, they are flimsy and break easily. On top of that they cannot hold anything except small water bottles. When they break, and they will it costs $100 to fix them. It is also lacking a sun glasses holder, but that is minor in my book. I have heard horror stories about this model 5-series, and have seen friends go through these horror stories. But if you find or buy one from somebody you trust and its a one or two owner car with all the documentation as far as maintenance goes do not hesitate to buy one!"

I have owned a 528 I for several years.

By on Friday, December 19, 2014

Pros: "Great handling cars good drive quality."

Cons: "High maintenance cost."

"I love driving this car, remember folks that a new one of these automobiles cost $50K plus, depreciation is costly. The maintenances cost is high as everything in the cars was of high quality new off the lot. If you plan buying a used BMW, expect to have the car maintained or it will deteriorate quickly, put away as much as you paid for the car and some. The ride quality is worth the price paid and maintenance paid. Have a trusted mechanic (BMW Mechanic) inspect it before you drive off in a used one b/c you may be deeply disappointed when you have to see them later on, it is not a Toyota(s) which we have also owned and currently own. I have owned used Volvos and Mercedes in the pass too, but I prefer the BMW's."

Sturdy,excellently safe to drive, one of our best

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

"This car is excellent for safety since the body is sturdy,lots of roam in the trunk, interior and with average 19 miles/ gallon of my experienced consumption. To me this car has excellent steering ability that in an urgent emergency situation it can go sideways without flipping over at 60 to 70 miles an hour ,example sudden driving across waterplane in the high way. Slight disadvantage is the driver car seat despite made of leather it sagged overtime and the electronic to adjust the seat is quite hard to adjust to level of desired setting.The passenger mirror also automatically docked to see the curb but not visible enough to see the whole back side on backing up.In my opinion this is quite dangerous. While alarms good to keep away intruders ,its advantage is also annoying to the fact that it will go off too loud of unknown cause and alert neighbors especially at night time and I have to turn the alarm off."

Actually the Ultimate Driving Machine

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "Handles beautifully, cruises effortlessly"

Cons: "Cant think of any"

"Bought this 530i to replace a 2001 525i Wagon. Car has great power, unbelievable stability at speed, solid handling and agility, and it's a four door sedan. Everything in the car works properly, it is possible for moderately proficient owners to work on and maintain, and the styling is classic. This is a comfortable, highly manuverable, confidence inspiring car, and can be driven on long trips without excess fatigue or problems. I only wish there were more cars this comfortable and competent. Oh yeah, it gets nearly 30MPG on the Hgwy at 80+ MPH"

I love my car

By on Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pros: "drives like a dream, comfortable"

"I have had this vehicle for over 5 years, and it has been the best I've owned. No major issues, just keeping it maintained and loved is all I've needed to do! I just love the feeling of driving a well built piece of machinery. Driving my husbands 2014 Honda seems like a Go-Kart ride!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 5 Series near Honolulu. See local deals