2014 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $38,947 - $40,118.

10/8.3

Based on 48 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Still a Great Sports Sedan

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Well built, great handling, fuel economy, BMW feel"

Cons: "Could use more grunt, engine can sound weak"

"I bought my new 320i as my commuter car. I traded in a 2011 Subaru WRX which was a real hoot to drive, but was noisy and fairly crude. I had owned a 2005 325i so was not new to BMW. Firstly, my car came with the Premium package, heated seats, and leather. So-equipped it is luxurious, has tons of bells and whistles, and looks very upscale. I debated about the 320i over the 328i because of engine power. As it turns out, saving the $4-7k by going with the 320i was a good decision for the most part. Acceleration is more than adequate but won't take your breath away (no match for the WRX). Particularly in normal driving, it will keep up with anything. Handling is typical 3-series - planted, confidence-inspiring, and predictable. The 8-speed auto seems a little busy to me, but it helps with mileage and performance. So far I'm getting 33 mpg in my daily driving. I wish I could have found one with the sport package as well, but I can live without it. What I don't like about the car is as follows: could use a little more power, the seats are a little too flat for my taste (but nicely upholstered in leather), the iDrive (though hugely improved) is still a little odd at times, the engine can at times sound a little anemic even if not. If you've ever heard a WRX with the optional SPT exhaust, you'll know what a 4-cylinder should sound like. All of these are minor nits and I highly recommend the car. I looked at the Mercedes C250 (underpowered and some of the styling details are weird), the Audi A4 (great build quality but didn't feel as robust or fast the 320i) and the Acura TL (couldn't bring myself to buy a non-German car this time around though it was certainly well equipped and well built)."

What a wonderful vehicle.

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "Perfect. Sporty, classy, sexy and all around FUN!!"

Cons: "Have not found anything negative."

"What can I say.. BMW does not lie when they say Ultimate Driving Machine. The 335iS Hardtop Convertible is the best vehicle I have ever had. I have had a new vehicle every 2 years for 14 years. Sorry to say but no matter how hard Chevy and Ford Try they will not come close to this in the US. Sad that they don't build their vehicles the same way here as they do in other countries. I was a Ford, then Chevy guy and I have been in the automotive industry my entire adult life and this is by far one of the best vehicles I have ever driven. Comfort and class all into one perfect package. (I have driven thousands of vehicles with my job so believe me when I say, I LOVE MY CAR)"

Cons: "see above"

"Pros: VERY quiet ride and back seat roominess. I have the 4 cylinder engine & the Xdrive. Very good MPG. There are 3 driving modes, convenience mode, sport mode, and ECO mode. CONS: very confusing to figure ALL the "contraptions" for a person my age, I'm technically mediocre, so basically technically challenged. I stand at 5'-4" and driver seat is comfortable BUT the armrest.....when my I have my left knee bent i sitting position annoys my knee. And the door lock knob scratches my left elbow when resting on sill. The auto shut off at stops is good UNTIL you come out of it, then it ABRUPTLY "kicks in". NOT what i'd expect from BMW, should be as smooth as when it shuts off. Fuel is an expense as it REQUIRES Premium, however,you can use Plus, which I do. But there's a $0.20 - $0.35 per gallon difference from Regular gas. The door locking/unlocking button is inconveniently located They install Run-Flat tires/rims, then sell you a $1400 warranty. You can choose to have regular tires/rims installed to bring down the lease cost and AVOID the Warranty Insurance. I found out from a friend of mine I didn't have to accept Run - Flat tires/rims.And the Dealer charge to exchange them now @2432 miles is another EXPENSE."

Cons: "see above"

"Pros: VERY quiet ride and back seat roominess. I have the 4 cylinder engine & the Xdrive. Very good MPG. There are 3 driving modes, convenience mode, sport mode, and ECO mode. CONS: very confusing to figure ALL the "contraptions" for a person my age, I'm technically mediocre, so basically technically challenged. I stand at 5'-4" and driver seat is comfortable BUT the armrest.....when my I have my left knee bent i sitting position annoys my knee. And the door lock knob scratches my left elbow when resting on sill. The auto shut off at stops is good UNTIL you come out of it, then it ABRUPTLY "kicks in". NOT what i'd expect from BMW, should be as smooth as when it shuts off. Fuel is an expense as it REQUIRES Premium, however, the sales man said i can use Plus, which I do. But there's a $0.20 - $0.35 per gallon difference from Regular gas. The door locking/unlocking button is inconveniently located They install Run-Flat tires/rims, then sell you a $1400 warranty. The Dealer DOESN'T REVEAL YOU CAN choose to have regular tires/rims installed to bring down the lease cost and AVOID the Warranty Insurance. I found out from a friend of mine I didn't have to accept Run - Flat tires/rims.And the Dealer charge to exchange them now @2432 miles is another EXPENSE. I'll am/WILL VERY likely PURCHASE a Honda Accord, fully loaded, for a lot less $$$ in 31 months when this lease is up."

Completely ultimate

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "Ownership pride"

Cons: "No cons so far"

"Ultimate!"

The car I have been dreaming of

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Pros: "I got all the features I wanted...!"

Cons: "Expensive"

"I like the drive. SPORT, COMFORT and ECO PRO modes. Keyless entry Keyless start/stop BMW app to control car with my iPhone"

Great Vehicle drives like a dream

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Very fun to Drive"

Cons: "Cup holder in the front has a removable lid."

"This vehicle is easy to drive. The pick up and go is there very responsive. Too many variables in options for the car I wanted the comfort, tech package, and sunroof. Opted for the comfort package. The cup holder has a removable lid that is very strange....no place to put the removable lid. Not sure what they were thinking on this design. Nice feature of hands free truck release. Place you foot under the license plate and the trunk door will open. The vehicle is very smooth and comfortable for all passengers in vehicle.The four year vehicle coverage on the vehicle is a great value."

Everything I want, nothing I don't

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "fit and finish, engine, transmission, brakes"

Cons: "standard audio, start/stop, option prices"

"After driving VWs, Volvos, Acuras, and one Mercedes, I finally decided to "step up" to a BMW. So far I have no regrets. First, the bad: The F30 3-series is a little softer than previous generations, with a bit more roll in the corners even in my Sport Line model. The lumbar support does not hit my back perfectly. The start/stop is a bit rough. The standard sound system is a bit weak. The good: The 8-seed transmission is brilliant, so intuitive that I hardly use the paddle shifters. The drive modes are useful. In EcoPro mode on the highway I average 36 MPG. In Sport mode, the car is a blast. (I cannot even see the need for the 335i's bigger engine.) The electronics are comprehensive, mostly intuitive, and entertaining. The more I drive the car, the more I discover thoughtful details that make BMWs special, and by their absence, make other cars feel like appliances. Advice: Pay a bit more for the Sport Line, Modern or Luxury trim lines. The car feels a bit cheap inside without the thicker steering wheel, metal trim bits, and upgraded seats from the optional lines."

Still Awesome!!

By on Saturday, March 09, 2013

"I've had this car since new. And I love it still. Comfort and Convenience fall short because, well... it's a sports car."

328ix:The best sport sedan!

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "The Ultimate Driving Machine."

Cons: "Not cheap."

"An absolute joy to drive. I have a 60 mile commute. My previous car was a Honda Insight- never again. 30 mpg real world. Fast. Handles like a sports car. Comfortable. Excellent seats. I have had a range of fun and exciting cars (Miata, 911, Corvette, Audi S4, Subaru WRX, Saab 9000 Aero), and this is the first automobile that does everything so well."

Another great BMW and a word about the naysayers.

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Acceleration, Fit & finish"

Cons: "Price is still high"

"This is my fourth BMW. It is starting my twentieth year having a BMW in my household. A word for the naysayers. For those that say, BMWs are unreliable, too complicated to drive, or too expensive, I would tell them that to own a BMW means you must learn how a BMW works. They are a distinct line of cars. Having owned other luxury cars- Mercedes, Lexus, and Infiniti- I have to say that nothing drives like a BMW and not everyone will like the way a BMW drives. It is in its own place. And that place is first understanding how a BMW drives- its dials, functions, and capabilities. Second, it is maintaing on a regular basis, one's BMW. This is one car that cannot be neglected. One can go a long way without regular maintenance with a Honda or Toyota- though I do not recommend neglecting those cars either. Not so with a BMW, but if one will keep it serviced, it will go as far as the aforementioned car lines. This 2012 328i is different than my older 328i. It drives differently, but better. I only recommend that you as a reader, go drive one. The drive will surpass the anything more I could say."

Awesome all around car

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Very agile and fast."

Cons: "Steep price."

"Most dynamic 3 ive owned. It's like having four cars in one with all the driving modes.excellent power and very light on its feet. Great car."

our third bmw

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Pros: "ride- very peppy 4 cyl.-build quality-fun to drive"

Cons: "none- a bmw is a bmw and it will never disappoint."

"had 2005 and 2009 5 series sedans both 6 cylinder and loaded with options. this time we only bought the options we used and could not live without.they were cold weather package, front and rear park distance and adaptive headlights that's it.also this time went with the 328i with x-drive and I'm thrilled and very happy with the 3 series."

Fabulous sport sedan

By on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, perfect size, fantastic performance"

"I have been driving BMWs for almost 30 years, both 3 and 5 Series. My new 335i M Sport is the best one yet. Both exterior and interior design are well done. The driving dynamics are superb. Highway fuel economy is impressive. Build quality is first rate ! My car has the factory optional M Sport brakes which perform flawlessly. The Adaptive M Suspension and Variable Sport Steering are two other important options on my car that I really appreciate. I really look forward to driving my car each time I press the Start button. When I come to park it, I always find myself looking back, admiring the design. This car really is a big improvement over the previous E90 generation."

AMAZING

By on Monday, December 31, 2012

Pros: "Love it"

Cons: "Can't find cup holders"

"I usually drive to work by myself every day and it is great for everyday driving the 4 cylinder engine is very powerful. I traded my 2012 Traverse for this , best decision of my life."

BMW Makes Great Vehicles

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "Great driving dynamics!!"

Cons: "little pricey"

"BMW 3 series owner for 6 yrs, just changed oil, brake pads and belts. That's all. My 6 years old BMW still drives and feels like a new vehicle. The other day I was on a road trip doing about 110 MPH with no issues."

Greatly Enjoyable But Sometimes Disappointing

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Looks Great, Innovative, Luxurious"

Cons: "Navigation, Auto Stop-Start, Complicated Controls"

"Let's start with the cons: the navigation system is the biggest disappointment. The map is long outdated, even the BMW dealership where I purchased the car from has the wrong address. The map doesn't show the names of all the roads, only the major streets are shown, even if zoomed in. The system is very slow. However, BMW is releasing a new system this November 2012; unfortunately, I purchased my car before the announcement. The other con is the automatic stop-start system to save gas. Good feature on paper, but in practice, the car wakes up violently. It doesn't feel up to par with BMW quality. Finally, the controls are fairly complicated: the fog lights doesn't turn on automatically, neither does the wipers. The settings doesn't stay at the last user setting, instead everything defaults: like the driving dynamics defaulting to Comfort, the Auto-Stop-Start defaulting to on, etc. This becomes very annoying as you need to press a bunch of buttons before driving out. Now the pros: Driving in sport mode is incredibly fun, enough said. The car has incredible acceleration. The interior design is absolutely beautiful, not too many buttons as everything is integrated. Quality is nice. Everything else is expected from the BMW line."

Junk!

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pros: "Looks good"

Cons: "Too numerous to list"

"What a piece of junk! Overly complicated, not reliable, poor designs. This car lives on hype and after owning one, I agree that BMW stands for BIG MONEY WASTED. Skip this thing unless you like throwing money away as I have. Oh ya, don't forget the amazingly fast depriciation."

2013 BMW 335i M sport line

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "power, luxury, ipdo/iphone integration, beautiful"

Cons: "not digging the auto start option, neutral about r"

"This car is the definition of fun and class, I have been smiling since I got it. I love the sound of the engine and mostly the power that gives you once you press the pedal. Everybody would enjoy this car, even if you are driving to the market or cruising at high speeds in the highway."

Nothing Special

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

Pros: "Value, premium sound pretty powerful, handling"

Cons: "Bland, unreliable, poor service experience"

"I have owned 2 BMW 3 series. The first one I got for my 17th birthday in high school when I got my license. It was a 2006 325 and I thought it was the coolest car ever as it was my first car. Then I had the 2008 328xi coupe with every single option possible. After driving audis, mercedes, and range rovers in my family I came to find the 3 series to be a big disappointment. My friends low end mercedes and audis were comparable but I think Audi's suspension makes it the better buy. The BMWs have been very unreliable, the styling has not changed much, servicing is a nightmare even though its free (i'd rather pay as my time is worth more than what servicing would cost), not too mention with all of the leasing promotions the car is driven by housekeepers and teenyboppers these days."

over engineered, complicated controls..

By on Sunday, August 05, 2012

"Purchased for mother and we will have to sell the car because cintrols are to complex for an elderly person."

It Really is the Ulimate Driving Machine

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Price goes up super fast with options"

"Decided it's time to look for a premium car. Started at Acura which was good but once you cross $40k it open up options to other brands too. So I drove the C Class Benz, it was nice but the poor electronics and engine noise were a show stopper. So off to the Lexus dealer, this line was the biggest disappointment, this brand is not in the league of the others more in line with entry level cars. After all the hype we tried to find something to justify the Lexus which did have a better electronics package but no better than Hyundai, Chevy or Dodge. Well off to BMW, passing the Infiniti dealer , last due to the cost being the highest. After the test drive we knew why it cost more and worth every penny it is. Its more than a badge it is really is the Ultimate Driving Machine."