2014 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $36,583 - $38,328.

10/8.3

Based on 79 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Not Impressed

By on Friday, July 24, 2015

Pros: "Drives well"

Cons: "Turbo sounds terrible"

"Before this BMW, I owned a 2011 328I. Wish I never 'upgraded'. The engine sounds like a diesel, somewhat embarrassing. You pay for options which should be standard, like the leather. Really fake leather in a BMW, what are you paying for?? Look for used or wait until year end to get the best price. They do not hold their value whatsoever."

Not a fan

By on Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Pros: "Looks nice."

Cons: "Quality is suspect."

"Looks pretty on the outside. Hate the autostop feature at the red lights. Sounds like a diesel when it idles. Three recalls in two years. No way to put the car in neutral when the engine fails (once during high water and once due to the failed fuel pump). Would not buy this car again and have lost some respect for BMW."

Still a Great Sports Sedan

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Well built, great handling, fuel economy, BMW feel"

Cons: "Could use more grunt, engine can sound weak"

"I bought my new 320i as my commuter car. I traded in a 2011 Subaru WRX which was a real hoot to drive, but was noisy and fairly crude. I had owned a 2005 325i so was not new to BMW. Firstly, my car came with the Premium package, heated seats, and leather. So-equipped it is luxurious, has tons of bells and whistles, and looks very upscale. I debated about the 320i over the 328i because of engine power. As it turns out, saving the $4-7k by going with the 320i was a good decision for the most part. Acceleration is more than adequate but won't take your breath away (no match for the WRX). Particularly in normal driving, it will keep up with anything. Handling is typical 3-series - planted, confidence-inspiring, and predictable. The 8-speed auto seems a little busy to me, but it helps with mileage and performance. So far I'm getting 33 mpg in my daily driving. I wish I could have found one with the sport package as well, but I can live without it. What I don't like about the car is as follows: could use a little more power, the seats are a little too flat for my taste (but nicely upholstered in leather), the iDrive (though hugely improved) is still a little odd at times, the engine can at times sound a little anemic even if not. If you've ever heard a WRX with the optional SPT exhaust, you'll know what a 4-cylinder should sound like. All of these are minor nits and I highly recommend the car. I looked at the Mercedes C250 (underpowered and some of the styling details are weird), the Audi A4 (great build quality but didn't feel as robust or fast the 320i) and the Acura TL (couldn't bring myself to buy a non-German car this time around though it was certainly well equipped and well built)."

Greatly Enjoyable But Sometimes Disappointing

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Looks Great, Innovative, Luxurious"

Cons: "Navigation, Auto Stop-Start, Complicated Controls"

"Let's start with the cons: the navigation system is the biggest disappointment. The map is long outdated, even the BMW dealership where I purchased the car from has the wrong address. The map doesn't show the names of all the roads, only the major streets are shown, even if zoomed in. The system is very slow. However, BMW is releasing a new system this November 2012; unfortunately, I purchased my car before the announcement. The other con is the automatic stop-start system to save gas. Good feature on paper, but in practice, the car wakes up violently. It doesn't feel up to par with BMW quality. Finally, the controls are fairly complicated: the fog lights doesn't turn on automatically, neither does the wipers. The settings doesn't stay at the last user setting, instead everything defaults: like the driving dynamics defaulting to Comfort, the Auto-Stop-Start defaulting to on, etc. This becomes very annoying as you need to press a bunch of buttons before driving out. Now the pros: Driving in sport mode is incredibly fun, enough said. The car has incredible acceleration. The interior design is absolutely beautiful, not too many buttons as everything is integrated. Quality is nice. Everything else is expected from the BMW line."

Hard top Convertible Top

By on Friday, May 08, 2015

BWM 328I Convertible Top Leaks

"What every you do no not buy a convertible BMW. The engineers for BMW stated it is normal for them to leak water and they don't disclose this information before you purchase the vehicle. Very poorly made vehicle."

BWM 328I Convertible Top Leaks

Another great BMW and a word about the naysayers.

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Acceleration, Fit & finish"

Cons: "Price is still high"

"This is my fourth BMW. It is starting my twentieth year having a BMW in my household. A word for the naysayers. For those that say, BMWs are unreliable, too complicated to drive, or too expensive, I would tell them that to own a BMW means you must learn how a BMW works. They are a distinct line of cars. Having owned other luxury cars- Mercedes, Lexus, and Infiniti- I have to say that nothing drives like a BMW and not everyone will like the way a BMW drives. It is in its own place. And that place is first understanding how a BMW drives- its dials, functions, and capabilities. Second, it is maintaing on a regular basis, one's BMW. This is one car that cannot be neglected. One can go a long way without regular maintenance with a Honda or Toyota- though I do not recommend neglecting those cars either. Not so with a BMW, but if one will keep it serviced, it will go as far as the aforementioned car lines. This 2012 328i is different than my older 328i. It drives differently, but better. I only recommend that you as a reader, go drive one. The drive will surpass the anything more I could say."

Love this car!!!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, looks great, best value among 3's"

Cons: "none!!!"

"We bought the '14 320i a couple of months ago, and are loving it so far!!! Also drove the '14 328i, and glad we didn't pony up the extra $4K because the 320i felt virtually the same. The car has 3 transmission modes which you can select at your fingertips, and feels like 3 different cars. In the sport mode, the steering suddenly becomes much tighter and the car just leaps out when you tap lightly on the gas pedal - always leaves me smiling ear to ear! We chose the drivers assistance package, and the rear camera plus sensors at the 4 corners are a HUGE help. The navigation system has a nice large color screen and voice commands. The iDrive controller has a touch pad, and best of all, it lets you search stuff such as a restaurant's name by "writing" the first few characters with your finger (the software recognizes the handwriting)! The car automatically syncs with the iPhone unfailingly, and the steering even includes controls to look up recent numbers. The audio system is great, and the car lets you save entire CD's (we were told upto 2000 CD's) onto its internal hard disk - not sure if this feature comes only with the navigation system, but we find this very useful. The '14 3-series has the best looking exterior design among BMW's in recent memory, and we love the refined interiors too. We were told that the car sends a different encryption code to the remote every time, and that the car doesn't turn on when the remote is not in the immediate vicinity, so in theory, no one intercepting your remote's signal should be able to break in - hopefully that's true. Overall very very satisfied!"

Missing my E92

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "Strong lease, awesome appearance, interior design,"

Cons: "Squeeks, rattles, steering, size"

"Very disappointed! I don't like the bigger size or the new steering system. It is not as tight as before & does not transmit the road as well as my 2007 335i. Already had more squeeks & rattles on my brand new car than my used 87k mile 07"

Fun to Drive, Not To Own

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pros: "Driving Dynamics, Navigation System"

Cons: "Requires a lot of maintenance, Customer Service"

"Definitely a fun to drive car. Engine is great, and power comes on strong, especially for a turbo 4 cylinder. Interior and exterior design is one of the best. The navigation screen is big and navigation system is easy to use, though can have issues when communicating with Apple devices. Suspension is soft, and really takes the harshness out of the NYC roads. Vehicle broke down numerous times, and there were multiple issues with the plastic interior falling apart. Required many trips to the dealer. Customer service was not very helpful. Parts are hard to come by (due to so many issues), and I ended up waiting a month for a new engine part."

2013 BMW 335i M sport line

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "power, luxury, ipdo/iphone integration, beautiful"

Cons: "not digging the auto start option, neutral about r"

"This car is the definition of fun and class, I have been smiling since I got it. I love the sound of the engine and mostly the power that gives you once you press the pedal. Everybody would enjoy this car, even if you are driving to the market or cruising at high speeds in the highway."

Comfortable, Handles Well, Responsive Transmission

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "Fast, responsive, great fuel economy"

Cons: "Engine sound, some options require packages"

"Traded a Mercedes C300 for this car. Some reviewers say the seats are hard - try a Mercedes and these feel like La-Z-Boy recliners. Everything works as expected, but the engine sounds just like a diesel; however, it also returns gas mileage like one as well - up to 38.7 on the highway. Transmission stays in a high gear, but is very responsive to throttle inputs. No turbo lag - the car is fast and responsive. Overall, I'd buy another one. BMW Office really only works fully with Blackberry phones. Haven't most companies gone with IPhones or Droids?"

My experience with the BMW 328i

By on Thursday, February 19, 2015

I don't own this car

Pros: "Comfort ride, 3 Modes Offered"

Cons: "Trunk space, I Drive/Changing Mode lock"

"I actually got the BMW 328i as part of a rental upgrade and was happy to try out this vehicle since this is one car I was considering for my next car purchase. Overall the interior seating is comfortable and the car seemed to handle well. I loved that you can go from a Econ mode to a Sport mode quickly. I definitely felt the difference when switching to a different modes (especially to the Sport mode). The car was very quiet on the road. In most cases I was going 80 mph without realizing it. It was an automatic and the shift gear was electronic and took some time in getting use to (from getting into drive, reverse and parking), but once you got used to it was good. The stereo sound and linking to my device for music was easy and the music sounded good. However, the volume is extremely low when it came to broadcasting my Siri. Was using this as part of traveling and found it useless. Needless to say we had two phone so I used the other for navigation while the other played the music. I didn't experience a low volume when making a call, so I was a little perplexed why the car had trouble on this item. Now the grips of the car. It is a key-less car, meaning that you have a button to start it. However, there was no interior trunk opener. To open the trunk it required me to get out the keys from my pocket and use the remote. If there was a button in the car, it wasn't stage clearly. Another thing I found was the trunk space was extremely small. I could only fit one standard suit case and 2 carry-on and one kids suit case. The standard suit case could not be placed on it's side (up right position). It is a standard dimension suit case and did not have this issue in my VW Passat. There was room above the suit cases, but I was still off by half an inch to stack a smaller suitcase. This was frustrating (only 4 of us traveling) when loading up the car and I'm really good about utilizing every possible configuration to maximize space. Needless to say one suitcase had to travel with the kids in the back seat. This became a concern since I didn't want to leave the suitcase in the backseat only for the car to be broken into. While I praised the stereo above, the controls of the stereo are only found on the steering wheel and the I-Drive Touch Interface system. Unfortunately, when transferring from each car modes (Eco, Comfort, Sport) the main info screen changes as well and locks out the the music screen that was on display. You had to wait for the screen to go back from the mode screen to the music screen before you can do anything with regards to music. If not you wind up being locked into the mode screen. This happen to me for a couple of times when I changed my driving mode and tried changing my music to fit he drive. Unfortunately, I got locked into the car mode screen multiple time which was quite frustrating. The last gripe I have with this car was the cup holders. For a hot coffee enthusiast like myself, I drink my coffee with a sleeve. Now when placing the cup of coffee into the cup holder the cup and sleeve fits with no problem, but when removing the cup to take a drink the sleeve gets caught on a lip of the cup holder. To make matters worse, it is a pain to fish out the sleeve from the cup holder. The lip is caused by two mismatched size holes. Really made me wonder how this could of happened and gotten missed when designing this part of the car. Overall, I was originally supposed to get a Chevy Impala as a rental car but glad I was able to try this car out. It would have been interesting to compare these two and provide some feedback, since this is the other car I'm considering in buying. Even with some of the quirkiness of the car design, I have to admit it the ride was smooth when in the comfort mode. Unfortunately, I it is not enough for me to consider this car as part of my next future buy line-up."

Everything I want, nothing I don't

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "fit and finish, engine, transmission, brakes"

Cons: "standard audio, start/stop, option prices"

"After driving VWs, Volvos, Acuras, and one Mercedes, I finally decided to "step up" to a BMW. So far I have no regrets. First, the bad: The F30 3-series is a little softer than previous generations, with a bit more roll in the corners even in my Sport Line model. The lumbar support does not hit my back perfectly. The start/stop is a bit rough. The standard sound system is a bit weak. The good: The 8-seed transmission is brilliant, so intuitive that I hardly use the paddle shifters. The drive modes are useful. In EcoPro mode on the highway I average 36 MPG. In Sport mode, the car is a blast. (I cannot even see the need for the 335i's bigger engine.) The electronics are comprehensive, mostly intuitive, and entertaining. The more I drive the car, the more I discover thoughtful details that make BMWs special, and by their absence, make other cars feel like appliances. Advice: Pay a bit more for the Sport Line, Modern or Luxury trim lines. The car feels a bit cheap inside without the thicker steering wheel, metal trim bits, and upgraded seats from the optional lines."

328ix:The best sport sedan!

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "The Ultimate Driving Machine."

Cons: "Not cheap."

"An absolute joy to drive. I have a 60 mile commute. My previous car was a Honda Insight- never again. 30 mpg real world. Fast. Handles like a sports car. Comfortable. Excellent seats. I have had a range of fun and exciting cars (Miata, 911, Corvette, Audi S4, Subaru WRX, Saab 9000 Aero), and this is the first automobile that does everything so well."

It Really is the Ulimate Driving Machine

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Price goes up super fast with options"

"Decided it's time to look for a premium car. Started at Acura which was good but once you cross $40k it open up options to other brands too. So I drove the C Class Benz, it was nice but the poor electronics and engine noise were a show stopper. So off to the Lexus dealer, this line was the biggest disappointment, this brand is not in the league of the others more in line with entry level cars. After all the hype we tried to find something to justify the Lexus which did have a better electronics package but no better than Hyundai, Chevy or Dodge. Well off to BMW, passing the Infiniti dealer , last due to the cost being the highest. After the test drive we knew why it cost more and worth every penny it is. Its more than a badge it is really is the Ultimate Driving Machine."

What a wonderful vehicle.

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "Perfect. Sporty, classy, sexy and all around FUN!!"

Cons: "Have not found anything negative."

"What can I say.. BMW does not lie when they say Ultimate Driving Machine. The 335iS Hardtop Convertible is the best vehicle I have ever had. I have had a new vehicle every 2 years for 14 years. Sorry to say but no matter how hard Chevy and Ford Try they will not come close to this in the US. Sad that they don't build their vehicles the same way here as they do in other countries. I was a Ford, then Chevy guy and I have been in the automotive industry my entire adult life and this is by far one of the best vehicles I have ever driven. Comfort and class all into one perfect package. (I have driven thousands of vehicles with my job so believe me when I say, I LOVE MY CAR)"

2014 328d

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "Great fuel economy, handles very good, fun 2 drive"

Cons: "No Dealers in my neck of the woods"

"I traded my 2011 328i in for this 2014 328d and don't regret it for a moment. The car is smooth, quiet, and well-built. Granted, I do NOT drive with a heavy foot, so I can't speak about jack rabbit starts, etc. But I can speak of fuel economy - about 36 in town, 46 on the highway, and 38 combination. Standing in front of it while idling, my wife says it sounds like a little tug boat, but that's OK as you don't hear engine noises while driving, and the 8-speed transmission is smooth as silk. A tank of fuel seems to last forever - I figured I could drive from Seattle to Tijuana and would only have to stop for gas ONCE. It's really a great little car."

Fabulous sport sedan

By on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, perfect size, fantastic performance"

"I have been driving BMWs for almost 30 years, both 3 and 5 Series. My new 335i M Sport is the best one yet. Both exterior and interior design are well done. The driving dynamics are superb. Highway fuel economy is impressive. Build quality is first rate ! My car has the factory optional M Sport brakes which perform flawlessly. The Adaptive M Suspension and Variable Sport Steering are two other important options on my car that I really appreciate. I really look forward to driving my car each time I press the Start button. When I come to park it, I always find myself looking back, admiring the design. This car really is a big improvement over the previous E90 generation."

Loves to be driven hard.

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Tremendous fun to drive, maintenance covered."

Cons: "Tight interior."

"I love driving this car with the top down along a winding road at good speed. It simply follows every command with maximum precision. The 335is is positoned between the 335i and the M3. I drove an Audi S5 and the BMW 335is and found the BMW to be the better car."

320i is 100% BMW 3-series

By on Saturday, November 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable"

Cons: "Interior materials could be better."

"The 320i is a car that doesn't do very many things, but what it does do it does right. Some people might believe that the 320i is the "watered down" BMW for buyers that only want the badge, but that's the opinion of people that haven't yet owned one. It's feels just as balanced, it's just as sharp, and it's just as enjoyable as you'd expect a BMW sport sedan to be. My car does have the sport package that firms the car up a little, but it's still extremely comfortable to drive while giving the car a more sporty feel. Steering is on the lighter side due to the electric assist, but it's still very good and very sharp. The 320i is down on power from the 328i, but it doesn't feel underpowered at all. In everyday conditions, it feels very responsive and torquey down low with very little turbo lag. Honestly, it feels nearly as strong as the 328i in most driving conditions. It's only when you're driving hard do you realize how much less power the 320i has. It absolutely has more than enough power for most people. If you're looking for a sports sedan I believe it is the best bang for your buck not only in the 3-series line, but of any car in the small sports sedan class. Also, fuel economy is great with 27-28 mpg average. The interior is very nice, but it's kind of a mixed bag. Plenty of quality materials mixed with some cheaper materials that you wouldn't want to see in a luxury vehicle. Interior comfort and space is excellent for the class. Controls are easy to use for the most part, but you will spend some time learning how the iDrive system works. The car's interior is a very nice place to be overall. If there's one option that I think everyone should get, it would be the sport package. It isn't just rims and some black trim, it is a true sport package with a tighter sports suspension, a fantastic M sport steering wheel, better seats higher performance staggered rims and tires for about $1,500! That's a steal, perfect for someone that just wants to enjoy the driving experience and not spend $45,000+ on a car! Like I said, this car is everything you'd expect in a BMW 3 series but for several thousand dollars less."

Love it after 15 months and 40K miles

By on Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, fast and great handling"

Cons: "steering is a bit numb when compared to the E90."

"I miss the size of the E90 and the tight steering but the F30 is beautiful, comfortable and fun to drive. The 8 speed automatic is fast and convenient in traffic. I miss the 6 speed manual. Fit and finish are great. My only mistake is not buying more options. I will buy anther after 150,000 miles hopefully before the turbo or auto give out."

The 320i with the Sport Package = the Purist's BMW

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, 'Cheap' for a BMW, Excellent Feel"

Cons: "BMW Nickel and Dimes you for Basic Options"

"2014 320i with Sport Package and Moonroof If you are in the market for a new RWD, perfectly balanced German sports sedan with 50/50 weight distribution, arguably the best automatic transmission in the business, excellent driving dynamics, adequate power and excellent fuel economy, the 320i with the Sport Package is an excellent choice. It has routinely beat out the competition in comparisons and road tests (VW CC, Audi A3 sedan, MB CLA250, Buick Regal, etc.) despite having less power (on paper) than it's competitors. And about the power... Much fuss has been made of this car 'only' coming with 185HP and 200LB ft of torque. First off, it is common knowledge that BMW underrates their engines and dyno testing has shown a stock 320i doing 180HP at the wheels which translates to more like 210HP. Throw on a simple BMS Stage 1 piggyback tune and you are putting down 10HP shy of the 328i in a car that is lighter and about $6000 less. Make no mistake though, the sport package is essential if you want a car that is fun to drive. BMW has gotten soft with the current generation base 'no-line' suspension but with the sport package you get extremely supportive sport seats, the M Sport steering wheel and M sport suspension with 18" staggered summer tires. All this equates to the driving experience BMW is known for. On a final note, if you want a lot of options and frills, this car is not for you. Checking all the option boxes on a 320i will push you well over the $40000 range, but keep it simple and you will still get a fairly well equipped car that above all, is fun to drive, reliable and economical. The Good & Bad: The Good: Excellent handling and road feel with the optional M Sport suspension. Firm yet comfortable Various driving modes that alter transmission behavior and throttle response Excellent fuel economy - I average 26.5MPG with mixed (aggressive) city/hwy driving 8 Speed ZF automatic transmission. Smoothest most responsive AT ever. Used to be a die hard manual guy but this made me a believer Excellent 10 speaker 250w base stereo (2 subs come stock) Excellent build quality, fit finish, sound deadening, no rattles, squeaks, etc. has been dead reliable so far. "Feels" like a BMW ------- The Bad: Comes sparsely equipped in stock form. Features that you would find standard on a well equipped Chevy Cruz don't come on this car, which starts at $32500. Heated seats? $500 option. Xenon/HID headlights? $1000 option. Power seats (these have 10 way manual seats with power side bolsters) - $1000 (come standard on the 328i). If you want power, you have to tune this car. This was not an issue for me, but many people are gunshy of that, so if you want more power and 6.5 seconds to 60MPH isn't enough for you, get the 328i. Base suspension is mushy. Satellite radio? Nope. Have to get that with the $2500 'tech' package. And so on. BMW is like eating at a nice restaurant where everything comes a la carte. If you have a problem with that, this brand is not for you. IF you want a car that is fun to drive, has excellent exterior and interior styling, gets great MPG and won't cost $50000, you'll love this car. Otherwise, look elsewhere."

My video

2014 320i 0-60 in 6.2 seconds

Great car so far!

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great gas mileage, looks good to me"

Cons: "not cheap"

"My first BMW and it has been completely carefree. Every time it comes back from service it just gets better with all the software updates and what not. If I went back in time, I'd buy this car over and over again. Just a simple, easy and nice driving vehicle."

Excellent car. Great highway economy w/ great powe

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

Pros: "Great highway mileage, smooth power and good braki"

Cons: "City fuel economy could be better w/plug in hybri"

"BMW has designed a car that retains the amazing inline 6 with an electric motor to give tremendous highway fuel economy. In Eco Pro mode on the highway I've had a number of trips with 40 plus mpg fuel economy. The car has had no defects and I haven't returned to the dealer once in the year I've had the car. 27 mpg overall with over 80% of my time in stop and go traffic. Very solid chassis with excellent brakes and great handling. Auto stop and engine shutdown on freeway when coasting in Eco mode are great features. The inline six with electric assist is butter smooth with incredible torque and power when you want or need it. The only big improvement would be to add plug in hybrid technology to bring up the stop and go mileage numbers. BMW has offered very affordable lease rates to make the cost difference between this and a 328 or 335 negligible while allowing you to enjoy the better fuel economy and power."

Best ever

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "Ok price"

"this car handles awesome great on gas and gets the looks it deserves ."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next