2014 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $38,939 - $40,426.

10/8.3

Based on 60 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Its not your grandfather's 3 series bmw

By on Sunday, December 21, 2014

"This is one of the noisiest vehicles I've ever driven. It comes with run-flat tires which make add to the dynamic noise. On concrete road surfaces, you can't hear yourself think. The nav/radio/info device is quirky. It works sometimes and not at other times. It changes from radio to nav information on its own. Sometimes the automatic trunk opening system works; sometimes not. The other day I walked past the back of the car and the trunk opened. It's opened twice on the road while the car was moving. Still, I don't know what I'd chose besides this car if the dealer offered to take it back. I guess I'd chose my old 2004 325!"

A great car

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

Cons: "Not cheap."

"My first BMW. Fast, comfortable, roomy, and excellent fuel economy. I commute 65 miles daily, and and impressed by the over 30 mpg mileage. Seat warmers, steering wheel warmer and awd make it a great winter car. Much roomier cabin than the previous 3 series(my wife has a 2011), faster and better mpg's, but steering lighter, not the same feel. Very reliable- only non scheduled maintenance was for a frozen fuel door and 2 flat tires."

Exceeded my high expectations

By on Thursday, November 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun To Drive"

Cons: "Cost, unknown long term reliability"

"My first BMW, and it has exceeded every lofty expectation I had for it. Smooth, endless power - great low end torque and horsepower. Good manual transmission; choosing that helps balance out the driving modes of the vehicle. I drive a good mix of urban highway and in town, not a lot of stop and go. MPG over 30 in 20,000 miles. While driving in Sport mode most of the time. Precision road feel, excellent vehicle dynamics. Recommend getting the adaptive suspension - it is like magic. Great looks, room for 4 adults in comfort for a long trip."

320i is 100% BMW 3-series

By on Saturday, November 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable"

Cons: "Interior materials could be better."

"The 320i is a car that doesn't do very many things, but what it does do it does right. Some people might believe that the 320i is the "watered down" BMW for buyers that only want the badge, but that's the opinion of people that haven't yet owned one. It's feels just as balanced, it's just as sharp, and it's just as enjoyable as you'd expect a BMW sport sedan to be. My car does have the sport package that firms the car up a little, but it's still extremely comfortable to drive while giving the car a more sporty feel. Steering is on the lighter side due to the electric assist, but it's still very good and very sharp. The 320i is down on power from the 328i, but it doesn't feel underpowered at all. In everyday conditions, it feels very responsive and torquey down low with very little turbo lag. Honestly, it feels nearly as strong as the 328i in most driving conditions. It's only when you're driving hard do you realize how much less power the 320i has. It absolutely has more than enough power for most people. If you're looking for a sports sedan I believe it is the best bang for your buck not only in the 3-series line, but of any car in the small sports sedan class. Also, fuel economy is great with 27-28 mpg average. The interior is very nice, but it's kind of a mixed bag. Plenty of quality materials mixed with some cheaper materials that you wouldn't want to see in a luxury vehicle. Interior comfort and space is excellent for the class. Controls are easy to use for the most part, but you will spend some time learning how the iDrive system works. The car's interior is a very nice place to be overall. If there's one option that I think everyone should get, it would be the sport package. It isn't just rims and some black trim, it is a true sport package with a tighter sports suspension, a fantastic M sport steering wheel, better seats higher performance staggered rims and tires for about $1,500! That's a steal, perfect for someone that just wants to enjoy the driving experience and not spend $45,000+ on a car! Like I said, this car is everything you'd expect in a BMW 3 series but for several thousand dollars less."

2014 328d

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "Great fuel economy, handles very good, fun 2 drive"

Cons: "No Dealers in my neck of the woods"

"I traded my 2011 328i in for this 2014 328d and don't regret it for a moment. The car is smooth, quiet, and well-built. Granted, I do NOT drive with a heavy foot, so I can't speak about jack rabbit starts, etc. But I can speak of fuel economy - about 36 in town, 46 on the highway, and 38 combination. Standing in front of it while idling, my wife says it sounds like a little tug boat, but that's OK as you don't hear engine noises while driving, and the 8-speed transmission is smooth as silk. A tank of fuel seems to last forever - I figured I could drive from Seattle to Tijuana and would only have to stop for gas ONCE. It's really a great little car."

Best ever

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "Ok price"

"this car handles awesome great on gas and gets the looks it deserves ."

Very cool wagon

By on Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pros: "Best wagon out there"

Cons: "2x pull dr. Handles, cheap plastic hole covers"

"Best looking compact wagon on the market. Love the little touches. Automatic tailgate with this swing of your foot under rear bumper. Very nice. I upgraded the stereo. Handling is great. People complaining about electric steering - picky in my opinion. Acceleration is very good for a four-cylinder TwinTurbo.. Love the coral red leather seats mineral white exterior . I actually had a guy pull me over and say I just wanted to tell you that that's the best looking BMW I've ever seen. Very nice car. I Have reasons for liking the wagon. Versatility, etc. having said that I think it just looks better than the sedan. Better than Audi, Cadillac (although I like the fold-flat backseats in the Cadillac big time) Mercedes, WAGONS HO!"

Good Car

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "Good Price"

"I like this car"

2013 BMW 328i M Sport Line (CPO). I love this car

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and great gas mileage"

Cons: "Start/Stop feature; Pricey; Sound of the engine"

"I purchased this car five months ago and this is my first BMW to own and I am thoroughly pleased. I sold a full size SUV for this car and was concerned about the smaller interior space but I find that I did not use the space but just a few times a year. It was nice putting my mountain bike in the back of the SUV but there is not an issue with the car as I purchased a bike rack. I am blown away by the power of the four cylinder twin turbo engine as well as the amazing gas mileage. I get 33 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway in economy mode. It is a very tight handling machine and I feel very much in control. I have never experienced a car that could handle the way this one does and it is truly the ultimate driving machine. Regarding the cons mentioned above, my previous vehicle was a Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid and the conversion from the electric motor to the gas motor was seamless; however, with the BMW (start/stop feature), when the gas motor kicks in, the car jerks. The sound of the engine sounds like it is running with rubber bands. Even though I love the car, BMW seems to love their cars as well as it is reflected in their prices. Overall, the appearance (interior/exterior) and all of the small features like the light package (lights under each exterior door handle and focal interior lights) makes this car so much fun to drive. I am not one to immediately fall in love with a vehicle until I saw this one and I just knew I had to have it. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for a fun sporty/classy car to drive."

Great handling, plenty of power. Nice interior

By on Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Pros: "Hsndling is second to none. Nice design"

Cons: "Wish the LED display can be hidden/retractable"

"A true Ultimate driving machine. Excellent handling with plenty of power. Beautiful and roomy interior."

Buy this car immediately - 2014 320i xDrive

By on Friday, October 03, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, comfortable cabin, mpg, looks great"

Cons: "Blue tooth streaming audio not standard"

"I commute to work 100 miles each day round trip. After one week I wish I bought this car sooner. Going 80 miles an hour feels as smooth as 40. The car actually gets faster between 50 and 80. Very little if no wind or road noise at highway levels. Engine has plenty of power and up to 35mpg is nice too. 3 different driving modes (Sport, Eco, and Comfort) offer 3 different driving experiences. Test drive one and you will want it."

The 320i with the Sport Package = the Purist's BMW

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, 'Cheap' for a BMW, Excellent Feel"

Cons: "BMW Nickel and Dimes you for Basic Options"

"2014 320i with Sport Package and Moonroof If you are in the market for a new RWD, perfectly balanced German sports sedan with 50/50 weight distribution, arguably the best automatic transmission in the business, excellent driving dynamics, adequate power and excellent fuel economy, the 320i with the Sport Package is an excellent choice. It has routinely beat out the competition in comparisons and road tests (VW CC, Audi A3 sedan, MB CLA250, Buick Regal, etc.) despite having less power (on paper) than it's competitors. And about the power... Much fuss has been made of this car 'only' coming with 185HP and 200LB ft of torque. First off, it is common knowledge that BMW underrates their engines and dyno testing has shown a stock 320i doing 180HP at the wheels which translates to more like 210HP. Throw on a simple BMS Stage 1 piggyback tune and you are putting down 10HP shy of the 328i in a car that is lighter and about $6000 less. Make no mistake though, the sport package is essential if you want a car that is fun to drive. BMW has gotten soft with the current generation base 'no-line' suspension but with the sport package you get extremely supportive sport seats, the M Sport steering wheel and M sport suspension with 18" staggered summer tires. All this equates to the driving experience BMW is known for. On a final note, if you want a lot of options and frills, this car is not for you. Checking all the option boxes on a 320i will push you well over the $40000 range, but keep it simple and you will still get a fairly well equipped car that above all, is fun to drive, reliable and economical. The Good & Bad: The Good: Excellent handling and road feel with the optional M Sport suspension. Firm yet comfortable Various driving modes that alter transmission behavior and throttle response Excellent fuel economy - I average 26.5MPG with mixed (aggressive) city/hwy driving 8 Speed ZF automatic transmission. Smoothest most responsive AT ever. Used to be a die hard manual guy but this made me a believer Excellent 10 speaker 250w base stereo (2 subs come stock) Excellent build quality, fit finish, sound deadening, no rattles, squeaks, etc. has been dead reliable so far. "Feels" like a BMW ------- The Bad: Comes sparsely equipped in stock form. Features that you would find standard on a well equipped Chevy Cruz don't come on this car, which starts at $32500. Heated seats? $500 option. Xenon/HID headlights? $1000 option. Power seats (these have 10 way manual seats with power side bolsters) - $1000 (come standard on the 328i). If you want power, you have to tune this car. This was not an issue for me, but many people are gunshy of that, so if you want more power and 6.5 seconds to 60MPH isn't enough for you, get the 328i. Base suspension is mushy. Satellite radio? Nope. Have to get that with the $2500 'tech' package. And so on. BMW is like eating at a nice restaurant where everything comes a la carte. If you have a problem with that, this brand is not for you. IF you want a car that is fun to drive, has excellent exterior and interior styling, gets great MPG and won't cost $50000, you'll love this car. Otherwise, look elsewhere."

My video

2014 320i 0-60 in 6.2 seconds

A fun little jet fighter

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "Super handling, rocket pickup, tight, great MPG"

Cons: "First year for the model, lots of bugs"

"My 3rd BMW and a mixed review. On the pro side, accelerates like a rocket, handles like it's on rails, looks great, rides tight, and gets 39MPG on the Hwy (and we go back and forth to a beach house 150 miles away). The cons: BMW lets the world be their beta test market. Problems with tail lights falling off (3 times,until a redesign fixed that)problems with tire pressure monitor sys (7 times, then new programming fixed it)and a leaky trans cooler. I'd consider a 2013 or 2014 where these bugs have been resolved."

2008 model - too many repairs

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Handles well."

Cons: "Breaks down too much, and expensive to repair."

"For the price we pay for BMW's, they seem to break down too much. At only 30,000 miles, the 2 front door locks stopped working. They would not unlock. I had to climb out the window to get out of the car. Both door lock gears had to be replaced. Thankfully it was under warranty. Then at only 55,000 miles the service engine light came on. There was a problem with something in the engine, and since it was out of warranty, cost $2,000 to fix! This car is fun to drive, but once it's out of warranty the repairs and annual maintenance cost too much."

Active Hybrid 3 : Fast car with a clear conscience

By on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pros: "Fast, great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Cockpit storage"

"I recently bought the Active Hybrid 3 and absolutely love it. It has the 335i 300 HP twin turbo engine and a 50 HP electric motor. This is the same set up they put in both the 5 and 7 series hybrids. It has allowed me to have a fast car with a clear conscience. Its performance and mileage is better than the 335i. For performance the car uses the 50 HP motor to boost the 300HP engine adding oodles of torque. Around 5.0 0-60. The car jumps from a start. For normal driving the electric motor provides its instant torque to get the car off the line. It feels like the bottom end torque provided by a diesel with strong off the line pull. I can't emphasize enough the positive attribute of having 100% of the electric motor torque instantly available. For mileage, I'm getting combined around 28 MPG with a lot of stop and go city driving to downtown Boston. On a recent road trip I got around 31 MPG going 80+. The Hybrid motor is used a lot in stop and go driving. In heavy traffic, the car will run on electricity for 5-10 minutes until the engine kicks on. Hybrids are great for stop and go driving because of braking regeneration. Another cool feature is that the hybrid is tied to navigation and knows when you're near destination and will run off of 100% electricity. There are a number of new supercars that use both gas and electric motors for incredible performance. My Active Hybrid 3 gives me a taste of this power as well as good mileage. I'm thrilled with the car."

Great car

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "performance , styling , tech and mpg"

Cons: "run flat tires and options run up the price fast"

"there is nothing in its class that comes close except maybe the Benz and Audi but after a test drive its easily comes out on top. an added bonus is the awesome MPG something I didnt even consider. Its fast and with free maintainence for 4 years there little to complain about. Run Flat tires are horrible but can be swapped out. dont look at the copycat Lexus (rerapped Corolla /Camry or Acura which nice but too much for rebadged Honda."

Quite happy

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "M y first Beemer, but not likely my last."

Cons: "It is too nice - I can't bear to raw-hide it."

"Looks great. Gets lots of compliments. The sticker said I'd get 42-mpg, but so far its sticking to 46-mpg. The only problem I've encountered is the owners manuals are written for German engineers - not ordinary people. Still haven't figured out how to make a button for a radio station or gps location. Finally got the gps to show the map the way I was driving and not always oriented north."

Fun to Drive, Not To Own

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pros: "Driving Dynamics, Navigation System"

Cons: "Requires a lot of maintenance, Customer Service"

"Definitely a fun to drive car. Engine is great, and power comes on strong, especially for a turbo 4 cylinder. Interior and exterior design is one of the best. The navigation screen is big and navigation system is easy to use, though can have issues when communicating with Apple devices. Suspension is soft, and really takes the harshness out of the NYC roads. Vehicle broke down numerous times, and there were multiple issues with the plastic interior falling apart. Required many trips to the dealer. Customer service was not very helpful. Parts are hard to come by (due to so many issues), and I ended up waiting a month for a new engine part."

328i 2011, loaded, real nice, gas mileage fair

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "Looks, interior, handling, power"

Cons: "gas mileage,"

"I purchased my 328i Sedan from a local dealer used. Vehicle is very nice loaded with prem pkg, lthr, sunroof, etc.(no GPS) my only reservation is the gas mileage. Around town 16-18 mpg and highway 24-25 mpg, was hoping for better around town with prem. gas required. I do the math every time I fill up and I am not heavy footed. Otherwise very happy with the vehicle."

Great mileage with great power

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, power, handling, seat comfort."

Cons: "Price of BMWs, run flat tires, BMW Apps worthless"

"The ActiveHybrid 3 has been a great car. I get 38 to 42 mpg on freeway trips averaging 70 miles per hour. My city mileage, which is about 85% of my driving gets about 25 mpg. My overall average for 17,000 miles has been 28 mpg with an average speed on the computer of only 28 miles per hour. The car is smooth and very powerful and handles very well. There is nothing like the BMW straight six for strong pull and smoothness. Auto magazines really don't get this car, but those of us who want power and great fuel economy do. While the sticker price of the car is higher than a 335i, BMW has subvented the lease so the monthly payment for and Activehybrid 3 is about the same as a 335i while the fuel economy is much better. You get the benefits of a 335i with the fuel economy of a four cylinder Accord. The only down side of the car is the run flat tires, which are very harsh in urban driving. Also, I would not pay for the BMW apps or electronics package again as the Nav system and apps are pretty worthless. The seats are great, the stereo is great and I have been very happy with this car."

I love this car!

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, handing, look, joy to drive!"

Cons: "Price!"

"I just bought my dream car, and so far I have zero regrets! It is just smooth, and an absolute pleasure to drive."

Loves to be driven hard.

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Tremendous fun to drive, maintenance covered."

Cons: "Tight interior."

"I love driving this car with the top down along a winding road at good speed. It simply follows every command with maximum precision. The 335is is positoned between the 335i and the M3. I drove an Audi S5 and the BMW 335is and found the BMW to be the better car."

Great car so far!

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great gas mileage, looks good to me"

Cons: "not cheap"

"My first BMW and it has been completely carefree. Every time it comes back from service it just gets better with all the software updates and what not. If I went back in time, I'd buy this car over and over again. Just a simple, easy and nice driving vehicle."

Im satisfied with this car

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks good, holds its value"

Cons: "Not a lot of room in the back"

"I had it for over a year now and Im satisfied with the car. It looks good, no issues with quality, for now its really reliable. It doesnt have a lot of room in the back for additional 3 passengers."

Amazing to drive

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"It's a BMW and everything you would expect from BMW. I have had American cars in the past and had nothing but problems with them. Since I got the BMW I have not had one issue. The quality of the car is what you'd expect and it is so much fun to drive."

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next