2014 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $39,489 - $40,814.

10/8.3

8.4

Based on 53 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Good Car

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "Good Price"

"I like this car"

2013 BMW 328i M Sport Line (CPO). I love this car

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and great gas mileage"

Cons: "Start/Stop feature; Pricey; Sound of the engine"

"I purchased this car five months ago and this is my first BMW to own and I am thoroughly pleased. I sold a full size SUV for this car and was concerned about the smaller interior space but I find that I did not use the space but just a few times a year. It was nice putting my mountain bike in the back of the SUV but there is not an issue with the car as I purchased a bike rack. I am blown away by the power of the four cylinder twin turbo engine as well as the amazing gas mileage. I get 33 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway in economy mode. It is a very tight handling machine and I feel very much in control. I have never experienced a car that could handle the way this one does and it is truly the ultimate driving machine. Regarding the cons mentioned above, my previous vehicle was a Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid and the conversion from the electric motor to the gas motor was seamless; however, with the BMW (start/stop feature), when the gas motor kicks in, the car jerks. The sound of the engine sounds like it is running with rubber bands. Even though I love the car, BMW seems to love their cars as well as it is reflected in their prices. Overall, the appearance (interior/exterior) and all of the small features like the light package (lights under each exterior door handle and focal interior lights) makes this car so much fun to drive. I am not one to immediately fall in love with a vehicle until I saw this one and I just knew I had to have it. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for a fun sporty/classy car to drive."

Great handling, plenty of power. Nice interior

By on Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Pros: "Hsndling is second to none. Nice design"

Cons: "Wish the LED display can be hidden/retractable"

"A true Ultimate driving machine. Excellent handling with plenty of power. Beautiful and roomy interior."

Buy this car immediately - 2014 320i xDrive

By on Friday, October 03, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, comfortable cabin, mpg, looks great"

Cons: "Blue tooth streaming audio not standard"

"I commute to work 100 miles each day round trip. After one week I wish I bought this car sooner. Going 80 miles an hour feels as smooth as 40. The car actually gets faster between 50 and 80. Very little if no wind or road noise at highway levels. Engine has plenty of power and up to 35mpg is nice too. 3 different driving modes (Sport, Eco, and Comfort) offer 3 different driving experiences. Test drive one and you will want it."

The 320i with the Sport Package = the Purist's BMW

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, 'Cheap' for a BMW, Excellent Feel"

Cons: "BMW Nickel and Dimes you for Basic Options"

"2014 320i with Sport Package and Moonroof If you are in the market for a new RWD, perfectly balanced German sports sedan with 50/50 weight distribution, arguably the best automatic transmission in the business, excellent driving dynamics, adequate power and excellent fuel economy, the 320i with the Sport Package is an excellent choice. It has routinely beat out the competition in comparisons and road tests (VW CC, Audi A3 sedan, MB CLA250, Buick Regal, etc.) despite having less power (on paper) than it's competitors. And about the power... Much fuss has been made of this car 'only' coming with 185HP and 200LB ft of torque. First off, it is common knowledge that BMW underrates their engines and dyno testing has shown a stock 320i doing 180HP at the wheels which translates to more like 210HP. Throw on a simple BMS Stage 1 piggyback tune and you are putting down 10HP shy of the 328i in a car that is lighter and about $6000 less. Make no mistake though, the sport package is essential if you want a car that is fun to drive. BMW has gotten soft with the current generation base 'no-line' suspension but with the sport package you get extremely supportive sport seats, the M Sport steering wheel and M sport suspension with 18" staggered summer tires. All this equates to the driving experience BMW is known for. On a final note, if you want a lot of options and frills, this car is not for you. Checking all the option boxes on a 320i will push you well over the $40000 range, but keep it simple and you will still get a fairly well equipped car that above all, is fun to drive, reliable and economical. The Good & Bad: The Good: Excellent handling and road feel with the optional M Sport suspension. Firm yet comfortable Various driving modes that alter transmission behavior and throttle response Excellent fuel economy - I average 26.5MPG with mixed (aggressive) city/hwy driving 8 Speed ZF automatic transmission. Smoothest most responsive AT ever. Used to be a die hard manual guy but this made me a believer Excellent 10 speaker 250w base stereo (2 subs come stock) Excellent build quality, fit finish, sound deadening, no rattles, squeaks, etc. has been dead reliable so far. "Feels" like a BMW ------- The Bad: Comes sparsely equipped in stock form. Features that you would find standard on a well equipped Chevy Cruz don't come on this car, which starts at $32500. Heated seats? $500 option. Xenon/HID headlights? $1000 option. Power seats (these have 10 way manual seats with power side bolsters) - $1000 (come standard on the 328i). If you want power, you have to tune this car. This was not an issue for me, but many people are gunshy of that, so if you want more power and 6.5 seconds to 60MPH isn't enough for you, get the 328i. Base suspension is mushy. Satellite radio? Nope. Have to get that with the $2500 'tech' package. And so on. BMW is like eating at a nice restaurant where everything comes a la carte. If you have a problem with that, this brand is not for you. IF you want a car that is fun to drive, has excellent exterior and interior styling, gets great MPG and won't cost $50000, you'll love this car. Otherwise, look elsewhere."

My video

2014 320i 0-60 in 6.2 seconds

A fun little jet fighter

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "Super handling, rocket pickup, tight, great MPG"

Cons: "First year for the model, lots of bugs"

"My 3rd BMW and a mixed review. On the pro side, accelerates like a rocket, handles like it's on rails, looks great, rides tight, and gets 39MPG on the Hwy (and we go back and forth to a beach house 150 miles away). The cons: BMW lets the world be their beta test market. Problems with tail lights falling off (3 times,until a redesign fixed that)problems with tire pressure monitor sys (7 times, then new programming fixed it)and a leaky trans cooler. I'd consider a 2013 or 2014 where these bugs have been resolved."

2008 model - too many repairs

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Handles well."

Cons: "Breaks down too much, and expensive to repair."

"For the price we pay for BMW's, they seem to break down too much. At only 30,000 miles, the 2 front door locks stopped working. They would not unlock. I had to climb out the window to get out of the car. Both door lock gears had to be replaced. Thankfully it was under warranty. Then at only 55,000 miles the service engine light came on. There was a problem with something in the engine, and since it was out of warranty, cost $2,000 to fix! This car is fun to drive, but once it's out of warranty the repairs and annual maintenance cost too much."

Active Hybrid 3 : Fast car with a clear conscience

By on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pros: "Fast, great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Cockpit storage"

"I recently bought the Active Hybrid 3 and absolutely love it. It has the 335i 300 HP twin turbo engine and a 50 HP electric motor. This is the same set up they put in both the 5 and 7 series hybrids. It has allowed me to have a fast car with a clear conscience. Its performance and mileage is better than the 335i. For performance the car uses the 50 HP motor to boost the 300HP engine adding oodles of torque. Around 5.0 0-60. The car jumps from a start. For normal driving the electric motor provides its instant torque to get the car off the line. It feels like the bottom end torque provided by a diesel with strong off the line pull. I can't emphasize enough the positive attribute of having 100% of the electric motor torque instantly available. For mileage, I'm getting combined around 28 MPG with a lot of stop and go city driving to downtown Boston. On a recent road trip I got around 31 MPG going 80+. The Hybrid motor is used a lot in stop and go driving. In heavy traffic, the car will run on electricity for 5-10 minutes until the engine kicks on. Hybrids are great for stop and go driving because of braking regeneration. Another cool feature is that the hybrid is tied to navigation and knows when you're near destination and will run off of 100% electricity. There are a number of new supercars that use both gas and electric motors for incredible performance. My Active Hybrid 3 gives me a taste of this power as well as good mileage. I'm thrilled with the car."

Great car

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "performance , styling , tech and mpg"

Cons: "run flat tires and options run up the price fast"

"there is nothing in its class that comes close except maybe the Benz and Audi but after a test drive its easily comes out on top. an added bonus is the awesome MPG something I didnt even consider. Its fast and with free maintainence for 4 years there little to complain about. Run Flat tires are horrible but can be swapped out. dont look at the copycat Lexus (rerapped Corolla /Camry or Acura which nice but too much for rebadged Honda."

Quite happy

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "M y first Beemer, but not likely my last."

Cons: "It is too nice - I can't bear to raw-hide it."

"Looks great. Gets lots of compliments. The sticker said I'd get 42-mpg, but so far its sticking to 46-mpg. The only problem I've encountered is the owners manuals are written for German engineers - not ordinary people. Still haven't figured out how to make a button for a radio station or gps location. Finally got the gps to show the map the way I was driving and not always oriented north."

Fun to Drive, Not To Own

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pros: "Driving Dynamics, Navigation System"

Cons: "Requires a lot of maintenance, Customer Service"

"Definitely a fun to drive car. Engine is great, and power comes on strong, especially for a turbo 4 cylinder. Interior and exterior design is one of the best. The navigation screen is big and navigation system is easy to use, though can have issues when communicating with Apple devices. Suspension is soft, and really takes the harshness out of the NYC roads. Vehicle broke down numerous times, and there were multiple issues with the plastic interior falling apart. Required many trips to the dealer. Customer service was not very helpful. Parts are hard to come by (due to so many issues), and I ended up waiting a month for a new engine part."

328i 2011, loaded, real nice, gas mileage fair

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "Looks, interior, handling, power"

Cons: "gas mileage,"

"I purchased my 328i Sedan from a local dealer used. Vehicle is very nice loaded with prem pkg, lthr, sunroof, etc.(no GPS) my only reservation is the gas mileage. Around town 16-18 mpg and highway 24-25 mpg, was hoping for better around town with prem. gas required. I do the math every time I fill up and I am not heavy footed. Otherwise very happy with the vehicle."

Great mileage with great power

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, power, handling, seat comfort."

Cons: "Price of BMWs, run flat tires, BMW Apps worthless"

"The ActiveHybrid 3 has been a great car. I get 38 to 42 mpg on freeway trips averaging 70 miles per hour. My city mileage, which is about 85% of my driving gets about 25 mpg. My overall average for 17,000 miles has been 28 mpg with an average speed on the computer of only 28 miles per hour. The car is smooth and very powerful and handles very well. There is nothing like the BMW straight six for strong pull and smoothness. Auto magazines really don't get this car, but those of us who want power and great fuel economy do. While the sticker price of the car is higher than a 335i, BMW has subvented the lease so the monthly payment for and Activehybrid 3 is about the same as a 335i while the fuel economy is much better. You get the benefits of a 335i with the fuel economy of a four cylinder Accord. The only down side of the car is the run flat tires, which are very harsh in urban driving. Also, I would not pay for the BMW apps or electronics package again as the Nav system and apps are pretty worthless. The seats are great, the stereo is great and I have been very happy with this car."

I love this car!

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, handing, look, joy to drive!"

Cons: "Price!"

"I just bought my dream car, and so far I have zero regrets! It is just smooth, and an absolute pleasure to drive."

Loves to be driven hard.

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Tremendous fun to drive, maintenance covered."

Cons: "Tight interior."

"I love driving this car with the top down along a winding road at good speed. It simply follows every command with maximum precision. The 335is is positoned between the 335i and the M3. I drove an Audi S5 and the BMW 335is and found the BMW to be the better car."

Great car so far!

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great gas mileage, looks good to me"

Cons: "not cheap"

"My first BMW and it has been completely carefree. Every time it comes back from service it just gets better with all the software updates and what not. If I went back in time, I'd buy this car over and over again. Just a simple, easy and nice driving vehicle."

Im satisfied with this car

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks good, holds its value"

Cons: "Not a lot of room in the back"

"I had it for over a year now and Im satisfied with the car. It looks good, no issues with quality, for now its really reliable. It doesnt have a lot of room in the back for additional 3 passengers."

Amazing to drive

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"It's a BMW and everything you would expect from BMW. I have had American cars in the past and had nothing but problems with them. Since I got the BMW I have not had one issue. The quality of the car is what you'd expect and it is so much fun to drive."

Love my vehicle

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Safe and reliable"

Cons: "Hard to fasten booster seat for 5 year old"

"Best car for quality and safety I have ever owned!"

Love this car!!!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, looks great, best value among 3's"

Cons: "none!!!"

"We bought the '14 320i a couple of months ago, and are loving it so far!!! Also drove the '14 328i, and glad we didn't pony up the extra $4K because the 320i felt virtually the same. The car has 3 transmission modes which you can select at your fingertips, and feels like 3 different cars. In the sport mode, the steering suddenly becomes much tighter and the car just leaps out when you tap lightly on the gas pedal - always leaves me smiling ear to ear! We chose the drivers assistance package, and the rear camera plus sensors at the 4 corners are a HUGE help. The navigation system has a nice large color screen and voice commands. The iDrive controller has a touch pad, and best of all, it lets you search stuff such as a restaurant's name by "writing" the first few characters with your finger (the software recognizes the handwriting)! The car automatically syncs with the iPhone unfailingly, and the steering even includes controls to look up recent numbers. The audio system is great, and the car lets you save entire CD's (we were told upto 2000 CD's) onto its internal hard disk - not sure if this feature comes only with the navigation system, but we find this very useful. The '14 3-series has the best looking exterior design among BMW's in recent memory, and we love the refined interiors too. We were told that the car sends a different encryption code to the remote every time, and that the car doesn't turn on when the remote is not in the immediate vicinity, so in theory, no one intercepting your remote's signal should be able to break in - hopefully that's true. Overall very very satisfied!"

Nice car, dealer and BMW customer service lacking

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "Excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "Some features are not easy to use,"

"The driver memory is difficult to use, the dealer was not too sure how to use this feature. The connected drive, BMW apps is also confusing, I contacted BMW customer service and they were unable to describe which features were included on my car. I wanted to activate the BMW connect but was, and still unable to do so. The dealer does not seem very knowledgable on the cars features and how they work."

Excellent car. Great highway economy w/ great powe

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

Pros: "Great highway mileage, smooth power and good braki"

Cons: "City fuel economy could be better w/plug in hybri"

"BMW has designed a car that retains the amazing inline 6 with an electric motor to give tremendous highway fuel economy. In Eco Pro mode on the highway I've had a number of trips with 40 plus mpg fuel economy. The car has had no defects and I haven't returned to the dealer once in the year I've had the car. 27 mpg overall with over 80% of my time in stop and go traffic. Very solid chassis with excellent brakes and great handling. Auto stop and engine shutdown on freeway when coasting in Eco mode are great features. The inline six with electric assist is butter smooth with incredible torque and power when you want or need it. The only big improvement would be to add plug in hybrid technology to bring up the stop and go mileage numbers. BMW has offered very affordable lease rates to make the cost difference between this and a 328 or 335 negligible while allowing you to enjoy the better fuel economy and power."

Comfortable, Handles Well, Responsive Transmission

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "Fast, responsive, great fuel economy"

Cons: "Engine sound, some options require packages"

"Traded a Mercedes C300 for this car. Some reviewers say the seats are hard - try a Mercedes and these feel like La-Z-Boy recliners. Everything works as expected, but the engine sounds just like a diesel; however, it also returns gas mileage like one as well - up to 38.7 on the highway. Transmission stays in a high gear, but is very responsive to throttle inputs. No turbo lag - the car is fast and responsive. Overall, I'd buy another one. BMW Office really only works fully with Blackberry phones. Haven't most companies gone with IPhones or Droids?"

Meet and beyond expectations

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "performance, handling, fuel economy and the looks"

Cons: "Options and packages are expensive"

"I've got my 328i xDrive (F30) for a month now and it is everything I hoped for and better. The car drives and handles well. The engine has enough power for passing and maneuvering my way out of traffic. The turbo lag is minimal IMHO. Three driving modes: Sport, Comfort and Eco-Pro. When in Sport, it feels like the car suddenly tightens up and is much more responsive. On switching to Eco-Pro, I can see from the gauge panel that I am saving gas. Well, I get the BMW for some driving pleasure instead of saving gas. Anyway. The transmission is smooth though I can feel the gear changes during accelerate a little bit. The automatic start/stop can be turned off and stays off in Sport/Comfort mode. The fuel economy is as advertised. The parking distance control (PDC) is very helpful with the rear view camera and particularly useful for drivers who are new to BMW. Very roomy and comfortable. My wife and 5-year old like to be in the car. My car is Metallic Grey. It looks bright and shining under daylight and dark and decent at night. Overall I’m very satisfied."

A great RWD sedan.

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pros: "Free maintenance, efficiency, poise, comfort"

Cons: "Tires, certain low-speed jerkiness"

"Great driving dynamics, very comfortable, very quick yet efficient(37 mpg highway on long trips). Two small gripes are somewhat jerky operational in stop and go traffic at times and not the grippiest of tires(runflats are also expensive)"

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next