2014 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $39,773 - $41,026.

10/8.3

Based on 47 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Active Hybrid 3 : Fast car with a clear conscience

By on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pros: "Fast, great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Cockpit storage"

"I recently bought the Active Hybrid 3 and absolutely love it. It has the 335i 300 HP twin turbo engine and a 50 HP electric motor. This is the same set up they put in both the 5 and 7 series hybrids. It has allowed me to have a fast car with a clear conscience. Its performance and mileage is better than the 335i. For performance the car uses the 50 HP motor to boost the 300HP engine adding oodles of torque. Around 5.0 0-60. The car jumps from a start. For normal driving the electric motor provides its instant torque to get the car off the line. It feels like the bottom end torque provided by a diesel with strong off the line pull. I can't emphasize enough the positive attribute of having 100% of the electric motor torque instantly available. For mileage, I'm getting combined around 28 MPG with a lot of stop and go city driving to downtown Boston. On a recent road trip I got around 31 MPG going 80+. The Hybrid motor is used a lot in stop and go driving. In heavy traffic, the car will run on electricity for 5-10 minutes until the engine kicks on. Hybrids are great for stop and go driving because of braking regeneration. Another cool feature is that the hybrid is tied to navigation and knows when you're near destination and will run off of 100% electricity. There are a number of new supercars that use both gas and electric motors for incredible performance. My Active Hybrid 3 gives me a taste of this power as well as good mileage. I'm thrilled with the car."

Great car

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "performance , styling , tech and mpg"

Cons: "run flat tires and options run up the price fast"

"there is nothing in its class that comes close except maybe the Benz and Audi but after a test drive its easily comes out on top. an added bonus is the awesome MPG something I didnt even consider. Its fast and with free maintainence for 4 years there little to complain about. Run Flat tires are horrible but can be swapped out. dont look at the copycat Lexus (rerapped Corolla /Camry or Acura which nice but too much for rebadged Honda."

Quite happy

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "M y first Beemer, but not likely my last."

Cons: "It is too nice - I can't bear to raw-hide it."

"Looks great. Gets lots of compliments. The sticker said I'd get 42-mpg, but so far its sticking to 46-mpg. The only problem I've encountered is the owners manuals are written for German engineers - not ordinary people. Still haven't figured out how to make a button for a radio station or gps location. Finally got the gps to show the map the way I was driving and not always oriented north."

Fun to Drive, Not To Own

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pros: "Driving Dynamics, Navigation System"

Cons: "Requires a lot of maintenance, Customer Service"

"Definitely a fun to drive car. Engine is great, and power comes on strong, especially for a turbo 4 cylinder. Interior and exterior design is one of the best. The navigation screen is big and navigation system is easy to use, though can have issues when communicating with Apple devices. Suspension is soft, and really takes the harshness out of the NYC roads. Vehicle broke down numerous times, and there were multiple issues with the plastic interior falling apart. Required many trips to the dealer. Customer service was not very helpful. Parts are hard to come by (due to so many issues), and I ended up waiting a month for a new engine part."

My Last Bimmer

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Handling, Looks, Acceleration with great MPG."

Cons: "Storage - What Storage, Bluetooth, Auto Shutoff"

"I leased a 2014 BMW 320i after spending more than a year looking at alternatives. I came very close to leasing an Audi and considered Lexus, Mercedes, Infinity, etc.. As an owner of two previous Bimmers (1995 525i and 1994 318i) and additional German cars (2 Porsches), I had very high expectations. I have to say that I love and hate this car. I love the handling characteristics, great mpg with the 4 cylinder turbo, the pickup even in "Eco" mode. I'm annoyed by run-flat tires, lack of rear seats that fold down, and the failure of the stereo system. The BMW engineers have decided to have multiple , folding rear seats with no options for a real spare. I found out after purchase that in order to play songs from my iphone, I have to have two cables, both that I had to purchase. I recently rented a very similiar California 328i, which Bluetooth'd my iphone in minutes...no cables. BMW, really? Why the different options? My dealership tells me this is a "Hardware" upgrade. OMG. This may be the stupidest bit of engineering in Bimmer history. I have base model Kias, Toyotas ,Fords, Hyundais via rental car companies. All of them linked up quickly to my iphone. How tough is this? Also, BMW in their infinite wisdom decided to install run-flats on all bimmers (at least all 3-series). Recently, I get a notice of low pressure on a tire including a warning message not to drive over 50 mph. That'll get your attention. So I take it to the dealer who tells me that I have a nail in the tread. I told them to fix it. They replied, it would cost $230 for a new tire. Seriously? And now I read BMW doesn't recommend tire rotation. Wow. I still own my 525i...lacks bells and whistles of the new cars, but so solid and better than the new over engineered cars."