• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2013 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $53,874 - $56,222.

10/8.4

Based on 48 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

A fun little jet fighter

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "Super handling, rocket pickup, tight, great MPG"

Cons: "First year for the model, lots of bugs"

"My 3rd BMW and a mixed review. On the pro side, accelerates like a rocket, handles like it's on rails, looks great, rides tight, and gets 39MPG on the Hwy (and we go back and forth to a beach house 150 miles away). The cons: BMW lets the world be their beta test market. Problems with tail lights falling off (3 times,until a redesign fixed that)problems with tire pressure monitor sys (7 times, then new programming fixed it)and a leaky trans cooler. I'd consider a 2013 or 2014 where these bugs have been resolved."

2008 model - too many repairs

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Handles well."

Cons: "Breaks down too much, and expensive to repair."

"For the price we pay for BMW's, they seem to break down too much. At only 30,000 miles, the 2 front door locks stopped working. They would not unlock. I had to climb out the window to get out of the car. Both door lock gears had to be replaced. Thankfully it was under warranty. Then at only 55,000 miles the service engine light came on. There was a problem with something in the engine, and since it was out of warranty, cost $2,000 to fix! This car is fun to drive, but once it's out of warranty the repairs and annual maintenance cost too much."

Active Hybrid 3 : Fast car with a clear conscience

By on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pros: "Fast, great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Cockpit storage"

"I recently bought the Active Hybrid 3 and absolutely love it. It has the 335i 300 HP twin turbo engine and a 50 HP electric motor. This is the same set up they put in both the 5 and 7 series hybrids. It has allowed me to have a fast car with a clear conscience. Its performance and mileage is better than the 335i. For performance the car uses the 50 HP motor to boost the 300HP engine adding oodles of torque. Around 5.0 0-60. The car jumps from a start. For normal driving the electric motor provides its instant torque to get the car off the line. It feels like the bottom end torque provided by a diesel with strong off the line pull. I can't emphasize enough the positive attribute of having 100% of the electric motor torque instantly available. For mileage, I'm getting combined around 28 MPG with a lot of stop and go city driving to downtown Boston. On a recent road trip I got around 31 MPG going 80+. The Hybrid motor is used a lot in stop and go driving. In heavy traffic, the car will run on electricity for 5-10 minutes until the engine kicks on. Hybrids are great for stop and go driving because of braking regeneration. Another cool feature is that the hybrid is tied to navigation and knows when you're near destination and will run off of 100% electricity. There are a number of new supercars that use both gas and electric motors for incredible performance. My Active Hybrid 3 gives me a taste of this power as well as good mileage. I'm thrilled with the car."

Great car

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "performance , styling , tech and mpg"

Cons: "run flat tires and options run up the price fast"

"there is nothing in its class that comes close except maybe the Benz and Audi but after a test drive its easily comes out on top. an added bonus is the awesome MPG something I didnt even consider. Its fast and with free maintainence for 4 years there little to complain about. Run Flat tires are horrible but can be swapped out. dont look at the copycat Lexus (rerapped Corolla /Camry or Acura which nice but too much for rebadged Honda."

Quite happy

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "M y first Beemer, but not likely my last."

Cons: "It is too nice - I can't bear to raw-hide it."

"Looks great. Gets lots of compliments. The sticker said I'd get 42-mpg, but so far its sticking to 46-mpg. The only problem I've encountered is the owners manuals are written for German engineers - not ordinary people. Still haven't figured out how to make a button for a radio station or gps location. Finally got the gps to show the map the way I was driving and not always oriented north."