2013 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $42,454 - $44,266.

10/8.4

Based on 46 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Great car

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "performance , styling , tech and mpg"

Cons: "run flat tires and options run up the price fast"

"there is nothing in its class that comes close except maybe the Benz and Audi but after a test drive its easily comes out on top. an added bonus is the awesome MPG something I didnt even consider. Its fast and with free maintainence for 4 years there little to complain about. Run Flat tires are horrible but can be swapped out. dont look at the copycat Lexus (rerapped Corolla /Camry or Acura which nice but too much for rebadged Honda."

Quite happy

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "M y first Beemer, but not likely my last."

Cons: "It is too nice - I can't bear to raw-hide it."

"Looks great. Gets lots of compliments. The sticker said I'd get 42-mpg, but so far its sticking to 46-mpg. The only problem I've encountered is the owners manuals are written for German engineers - not ordinary people. Still haven't figured out how to make a button for a radio station or gps location. Finally got the gps to show the map the way I was driving and not always oriented north."

Fun to Drive, Not To Own

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pros: "Driving Dynamics, Navigation System"

Cons: "Requires a lot of maintenance, Customer Service"

"Definitely a fun to drive car. Engine is great, and power comes on strong, especially for a turbo 4 cylinder. Interior and exterior design is one of the best. The navigation screen is big and navigation system is easy to use, though can have issues when communicating with Apple devices. Suspension is soft, and really takes the harshness out of the NYC roads. Vehicle broke down numerous times, and there were multiple issues with the plastic interior falling apart. Required many trips to the dealer. Customer service was not very helpful. Parts are hard to come by (due to so many issues), and I ended up waiting a month for a new engine part."

My Last Bimmer

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Handling, Looks, Acceleration with great MPG."

Cons: "Storage - What Storage, Bluetooth, Auto Shutoff"

"I leased a 2014 BMW 320i after spending more than a year looking at alternatives. I came very close to leasing an Audi and considered Lexus, Mercedes, Infinity, etc.. As an owner of two previous Bimmers (1995 525i and 1994 318i) and additional German cars (2 Porsches), I had very high expectations. I have to say that I love and hate this car. I love the handling characteristics, great mpg with the 4 cylinder turbo, the pickup even in "Eco" mode. I'm annoyed by run-flat tires, lack of rear seats that fold down, and the failure of the stereo system. The BMW engineers have decided to have multiple , folding rear seats with no options for a real spare. I found out after purchase that in order to play songs from my iphone, I have to have two cables, both that I had to purchase. I recently rented a very similiar California 328i, which Bluetooth'd my iphone in minutes...no cables. BMW, really? Why the different options? My dealership tells me this is a "Hardware" upgrade. OMG. This may be the stupidest bit of engineering in Bimmer history. I have base model Kias, Toyotas ,Fords, Hyundais via rental car companies. All of them linked up quickly to my iphone. How tough is this? Also, BMW in their infinite wisdom decided to install run-flats on all bimmers (at least all 3-series). Recently, I get a notice of low pressure on a tire including a warning message not to drive over 50 mph. That'll get your attention. So I take it to the dealer who tells me that I have a nail in the tread. I told them to fix it. They replied, it would cost $230 for a new tire. Seriously? And now I read BMW doesn't recommend tire rotation. Wow. I still own my 525i...lacks bells and whistles of the new cars, but so solid and better than the new over engineered cars."

328i 2011, loaded, real nice, gas mileage fair

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "Looks, interior, handling, power"

Cons: "gas mileage,"

"I purchased my 328i Sedan from a local dealer used. Vehicle is very nice loaded with prem pkg, lthr, sunroof, etc.(no GPS) my only reservation is the gas mileage. Around town 16-18 mpg and highway 24-25 mpg, was hoping for better around town with prem. gas required. I do the math every time I fill up and I am not heavy footed. Otherwise very happy with the vehicle."

Great mileage with great power

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, power, handling, seat comfort."

Cons: "Price of BMWs, run flat tires, BMW Apps worthless"

"The ActiveHybrid 3 has been a great car. I get 38 to 42 mpg on freeway trips averaging 70 miles per hour. My city mileage, which is about 85% of my driving gets about 25 mpg. My overall average for 17,000 miles has been 28 mpg with an average speed on the computer of only 28 miles per hour. The car is smooth and very powerful and handles very well. There is nothing like the BMW straight six for strong pull and smoothness. Auto magazines really don't get this car, but those of us who want power and great fuel economy do. While the sticker price of the car is higher than a 335i, BMW has subvented the lease so the monthly payment for and Activehybrid 3 is about the same as a 335i while the fuel economy is much better. You get the benefits of a 335i with the fuel economy of a four cylinder Accord. The only down side of the car is the run flat tires, which are very harsh in urban driving. Also, I would not pay for the BMW apps or electronics package again as the Nav system and apps are pretty worthless. The seats are great, the stereo is great and I have been very happy with this car."

I love this car!

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, handing, look, joy to drive!"

Cons: "Price!"

"I just bought my dream car, and so far I have zero regrets! It is just smooth, and an absolute pleasure to drive."

Loves to be driven hard.

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Tremendous fun to drive, maintenance covered."

Cons: "Tight interior."

"I love driving this car with the top down along a winding road at good speed. It simply follows every command with maximum precision. The 335is is positoned between the 335i and the M3. I drove an Audi S5 and the BMW 335is and found the BMW to be the better car."

Great car so far!

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great gas mileage, looks good to me"

Cons: "not cheap"

"My first BMW and it has been completely carefree. Every time it comes back from service it just gets better with all the software updates and what not. If I went back in time, I'd buy this car over and over again. Just a simple, easy and nice driving vehicle."

Im satisfied with this car

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks good, holds its value"

Cons: "Not a lot of room in the back"

"I had it for over a year now and Im satisfied with the car. It looks good, no issues with quality, for now its really reliable. It doesnt have a lot of room in the back for additional 3 passengers."

Amazing to drive

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"It's a BMW and everything you would expect from BMW. I have had American cars in the past and had nothing but problems with them. Since I got the BMW I have not had one issue. The quality of the car is what you'd expect and it is so much fun to drive."

Love my vehicle

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Safe and reliable"

Cons: "Hard to fasten booster seat for 5 year old"

"Best car for quality and safety I have ever owned!"

Love this car!!!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, looks great, best value among 3's"

Cons: "none!!!"

"We bought the '14 320i a couple of months ago, and are loving it so far!!! Also drove the '14 328i, and glad we didn't pony up the extra $4K because the 320i felt virtually the same. The car has 3 transmission modes which you can select at your fingertips, and feels like 3 different cars. In the sport mode, the steering suddenly becomes much tighter and the car just leaps out when you tap lightly on the gas pedal - always leaves me smiling ear to ear! We chose the drivers assistance package, and the rear camera plus sensors at the 4 corners are a HUGE help. The navigation system has a nice large color screen and voice commands. The iDrive controller has a touch pad, and best of all, it lets you search stuff such as a restaurant's name by "writing" the first few characters with your finger (the software recognizes the handwriting)! The car automatically syncs with the iPhone unfailingly, and the steering even includes controls to look up recent numbers. The audio system is great, and the car lets you save entire CD's (we were told upto 2000 CD's) onto its internal hard disk - not sure if this feature comes only with the navigation system, but we find this very useful. The '14 3-series has the best looking exterior design among BMW's in recent memory, and we love the refined interiors too. We were told that the car sends a different encryption code to the remote every time, and that the car doesn't turn on when the remote is not in the immediate vicinity, so in theory, no one intercepting your remote's signal should be able to break in - hopefully that's true. Overall very very satisfied!"

Nice car, dealer and BMW customer service lacking

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "Excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "Some features are not easy to use,"

"The driver memory is difficult to use, the dealer was not too sure how to use this feature. The connected drive, BMW apps is also confusing, I contacted BMW customer service and they were unable to describe which features were included on my car. I wanted to activate the BMW connect but was, and still unable to do so. The dealer does not seem very knowledgable on the cars features and how they work."

Excellent car. Great highway economy w/ great powe

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

Pros: "Great highway mileage, smooth power and good braki"

Cons: "City fuel economy could be better w/plug in hybri"

"BMW has designed a car that retains the amazing inline 6 with an electric motor to give tremendous highway fuel economy. In Eco Pro mode on the highway I've had a number of trips with 40 plus mpg fuel economy. The car has had no defects and I haven't returned to the dealer once in the year I've had the car. 27 mpg overall with over 80% of my time in stop and go traffic. Very solid chassis with excellent brakes and great handling. Auto stop and engine shutdown on freeway when coasting in Eco mode are great features. The inline six with electric assist is butter smooth with incredible torque and power when you want or need it. The only big improvement would be to add plug in hybrid technology to bring up the stop and go mileage numbers. BMW has offered very affordable lease rates to make the cost difference between this and a 328 or 335 negligible while allowing you to enjoy the better fuel economy and power."

Comfortable, Handles Well, Responsive Transmission

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "Fast, responsive, great fuel economy"

Cons: "Engine sound, some options require packages"

"Traded a Mercedes C300 for this car. Some reviewers say the seats are hard - try a Mercedes and these feel like La-Z-Boy recliners. Everything works as expected, but the engine sounds just like a diesel; however, it also returns gas mileage like one as well - up to 38.7 on the highway. Transmission stays in a high gear, but is very responsive to throttle inputs. No turbo lag - the car is fast and responsive. Overall, I'd buy another one. BMW Office really only works fully with Blackberry phones. Haven't most companies gone with IPhones or Droids?"

Meet and beyond expectations

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "performance, handling, fuel economy and the looks"

Cons: "Options and packages are expensive"

"I've got my 328i xDrive (F30) for a month now and it is everything I hoped for and better. The car drives and handles well. The engine has enough power for passing and maneuvering my way out of traffic. The turbo lag is minimal IMHO. Three driving modes: Sport, Comfort and Eco-Pro. When in Sport, it feels like the car suddenly tightens up and is much more responsive. On switching to Eco-Pro, I can see from the gauge panel that I am saving gas. Well, I get the BMW for some driving pleasure instead of saving gas. Anyway. The transmission is smooth though I can feel the gear changes during accelerate a little bit. The automatic start/stop can be turned off and stays off in Sport/Comfort mode. The fuel economy is as advertised. The parking distance control (PDC) is very helpful with the rear view camera and particularly useful for drivers who are new to BMW. Very roomy and comfortable. My wife and 5-year old like to be in the car. My car is Metallic Grey. It looks bright and shining under daylight and dark and decent at night. Overall I’m very satisfied."

A great RWD sedan.

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pros: "Free maintenance, efficiency, poise, comfort"

Cons: "Tires, certain low-speed jerkiness"

"Great driving dynamics, very comfortable, very quick yet efficient(37 mpg highway on long trips). Two small gripes are somewhat jerky operational in stop and go traffic at times and not the grippiest of tires(runflats are also expensive)"

Well engineered

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great styling"

Cons: "Run flats,..."

"Great gas mileage....avg 31.6 in mixed driving, 45 with cruise at75 in Eco mode. Hit the sport button, and have fun, still bmw driving experience. No issues in 16 months."

Too expensive for quality. Breakdowns common.

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "Hard top convertable is nice."

Cons: "Various electronics keep breaking down."

"In my opinion, instead of calling it the ultimate driving machine, they should call it the ultimate repair machine because ultimately everything will need to be repaired. Most of the problems are with electronics. Have had it towed four times. Never again."

Love it after 15 months and 40K miles

By on Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, fast and great handling"

Cons: "steering is a bit numb when compared to the E90."

"I miss the size of the E90 and the tight steering but the F30 is beautiful, comfortable and fun to drive. The 8 speed automatic is fast and convenient in traffic. I miss the 6 speed manual. Fit and finish are great. My only mistake is not buying more options. I will buy anther after 150,000 miles hopefully before the turbo or auto give out."

I love the way this car drives & looks 335i Sport

By on Monday, August 05, 2013

Pros: "Great Fun to drive, great mix of performanc/luxury"

Cons: "Can't isolate/fix intermittent interior noise"

"I had my F-I-L who is a speed nut drive it, we got to 0-60 in 4.8 sec's. It accelerated so fast it made him lightheaded and had to slow down. You can't make it slide in turns even up to 70mph (haven't been brave enough to drive in sport+ mode yet)and in comfort mode it's smooth and quiet. Love the 4 yr. full maintenance plan. And the car is really sweet looking as well (bought the optional 19" tires) The idrive system is really cool and easy to use once you learn it. Only gripe so far is an interior vibration noise near the driver window at times from road vibration or radio or bluetooth phone call. The dealer took a stab at fixing it, but couldn't duplicate the noise. I hope to isolate the source and get them to fix it. Dealer was great including lending me a car when I took it in. Have owned an Infiniti G35 and this car is even more fun to drive than the Infiniti."

Missing my E92

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "Strong lease, awesome appearance, interior design,"

Cons: "Squeeks, rattles, steering, size"

"Very disappointed! I don't like the bigger size or the new steering system. It is not as tight as before & does not transmit the road as well as my 2007 335i. Already had more squeeks & rattles on my brand new car than my used 87k mile 07"

Still a Great Sports Sedan

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Well built, great handling, fuel economy, BMW feel"

Cons: "Could use more grunt, engine can sound weak"

"I bought my new 320i as my commuter car. I traded in a 2011 Subaru WRX which was a real hoot to drive, but was noisy and fairly crude. I had owned a 2005 325i so was not new to BMW. Firstly, my car came with the Premium package, heated seats, and leather. So-equipped it is luxurious, has tons of bells and whistles, and looks very upscale. I debated about the 320i over the 328i because of engine power. As it turns out, saving the $4-7k by going with the 320i was a good decision for the most part. Acceleration is more than adequate but won't take your breath away (no match for the WRX). Particularly in normal driving, it will keep up with anything. Handling is typical 3-series - planted, confidence-inspiring, and predictable. The 8-speed auto seems a little busy to me, but it helps with mileage and performance. So far I'm getting 33 mpg in my daily driving. I wish I could have found one with the sport package as well, but I can live without it. What I don't like about the car is as follows: could use a little more power, the seats are a little too flat for my taste (but nicely upholstered in leather), the iDrive (though hugely improved) is still a little odd at times, the engine can at times sound a little anemic even if not. If you've ever heard a WRX with the optional SPT exhaust, you'll know what a 4-cylinder should sound like. All of these are minor nits and I highly recommend the car. I looked at the Mercedes C250 (underpowered and some of the styling details are weird), the Audi A4 (great build quality but didn't feel as robust or fast the 320i) and the Acura TL (couldn't bring myself to buy a non-German car this time around though it was certainly well equipped and well built)."

What a wonderful vehicle.

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "Perfect. Sporty, classy, sexy and all around FUN!!"

Cons: "Have not found anything negative."

"What can I say.. BMW does not lie when they say Ultimate Driving Machine. The 335iS Hardtop Convertible is the best vehicle I have ever had. I have had a new vehicle every 2 years for 14 years. Sorry to say but no matter how hard Chevy and Ford Try they will not come close to this in the US. Sad that they don't build their vehicles the same way here as they do in other countries. I was a Ford, then Chevy guy and I have been in the automotive industry my entire adult life and this is by far one of the best vehicles I have ever driven. Comfort and class all into one perfect package. (I have driven thousands of vehicles with my job so believe me when I say, I LOVE MY CAR)"