2013 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $28,832 - $30,505.

10/8.4

Based on 48 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Still a Great Sports Sedan

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Well built, great handling, fuel economy, BMW feel"

Cons: "Could use more grunt, engine can sound weak"

"I bought my new 320i as my commuter car. I traded in a 2011 Subaru WRX which was a real hoot to drive, but was noisy and fairly crude. I had owned a 2005 325i so was not new to BMW. Firstly, my car came with the Premium package, heated seats, and leather. So-equipped it is luxurious, has tons of bells and whistles, and looks very upscale. I debated about the 320i over the 328i because of engine power. As it turns out, saving the $4-7k by going with the 320i was a good decision for the most part. Acceleration is more than adequate but won't take your breath away (no match for the WRX). Particularly in normal driving, it will keep up with anything. Handling is typical 3-series - planted, confidence-inspiring, and predictable. The 8-speed auto seems a little busy to me, but it helps with mileage and performance. So far I'm getting 33 mpg in my daily driving. I wish I could have found one with the sport package as well, but I can live without it. What I don't like about the car is as follows: could use a little more power, the seats are a little too flat for my taste (but nicely upholstered in leather), the iDrive (though hugely improved) is still a little odd at times, the engine can at times sound a little anemic even if not. If you've ever heard a WRX with the optional SPT exhaust, you'll know what a 4-cylinder should sound like. All of these are minor nits and I highly recommend the car. I looked at the Mercedes C250 (underpowered and some of the styling details are weird), the Audi A4 (great build quality but didn't feel as robust or fast the 320i) and the Acura TL (couldn't bring myself to buy a non-German car this time around though it was certainly well equipped and well built)."

Loves to be driven hard.

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Tremendous fun to drive, maintenance covered."

Cons: "Tight interior."

"I love driving this car with the top down along a winding road at good speed. It simply follows every command with maximum precision. The 335is is positoned between the 335i and the M3. I drove an Audi S5 and the BMW 335is and found the BMW to be the better car."

Greatly Enjoyable But Sometimes Disappointing

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Looks Great, Innovative, Luxurious"

Cons: "Navigation, Auto Stop-Start, Complicated Controls"

"Let's start with the cons: the navigation system is the biggest disappointment. The map is long outdated, even the BMW dealership where I purchased the car from has the wrong address. The map doesn't show the names of all the roads, only the major streets are shown, even if zoomed in. The system is very slow. However, BMW is releasing a new system this November 2012; unfortunately, I purchased my car before the announcement. The other con is the automatic stop-start system to save gas. Good feature on paper, but in practice, the car wakes up violently. It doesn't feel up to par with BMW quality. Finally, the controls are fairly complicated: the fog lights doesn't turn on automatically, neither does the wipers. The settings doesn't stay at the last user setting, instead everything defaults: like the driving dynamics defaulting to Comfort, the Auto-Stop-Start defaulting to on, etc. This becomes very annoying as you need to press a bunch of buttons before driving out. Now the pros: Driving in sport mode is incredibly fun, enough said. The car has incredible acceleration. The interior design is absolutely beautiful, not too many buttons as everything is integrated. Quality is nice. Everything else is expected from the BMW line."

Another great BMW and a word about the naysayers.

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Acceleration, Fit & finish"

Cons: "Price is still high"

"This is my fourth BMW. It is starting my twentieth year having a BMW in my household. A word for the naysayers. For those that say, BMWs are unreliable, too complicated to drive, or too expensive, I would tell them that to own a BMW means you must learn how a BMW works. They are a distinct line of cars. Having owned other luxury cars- Mercedes, Lexus, and Infiniti- I have to say that nothing drives like a BMW and not everyone will like the way a BMW drives. It is in its own place. And that place is first understanding how a BMW drives- its dials, functions, and capabilities. Second, it is maintaing on a regular basis, one's BMW. This is one car that cannot be neglected. One can go a long way without regular maintenance with a Honda or Toyota- though I do not recommend neglecting those cars either. Not so with a BMW, but if one will keep it serviced, it will go as far as the aforementioned car lines. This 2012 328i is different than my older 328i. It drives differently, but better. I only recommend that you as a reader, go drive one. The drive will surpass the anything more I could say."

Everything I want, nothing I don't

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "fit and finish, engine, transmission, brakes"

Cons: "standard audio, start/stop, option prices"

"After driving VWs, Volvos, Acuras, and one Mercedes, I finally decided to "step up" to a BMW. So far I have no regrets. First, the bad: The F30 3-series is a little softer than previous generations, with a bit more roll in the corners even in my Sport Line model. The lumbar support does not hit my back perfectly. The start/stop is a bit rough. The standard sound system is a bit weak. The good: The 8-seed transmission is brilliant, so intuitive that I hardly use the paddle shifters. The drive modes are useful. In EcoPro mode on the highway I average 36 MPG. In Sport mode, the car is a blast. (I cannot even see the need for the 335i's bigger engine.) The electronics are comprehensive, mostly intuitive, and entertaining. The more I drive the car, the more I discover thoughtful details that make BMWs special, and by their absence, make other cars feel like appliances. Advice: Pay a bit more for the Sport Line, Modern or Luxury trim lines. The car feels a bit cheap inside without the thicker steering wheel, metal trim bits, and upgraded seats from the optional lines."