2012 BMW 3 Series

Based on 91 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

Beatiful. Clean. Classy. Versatile.

By on Thursday, July 7, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, efficient, sporty, classy, techy"

Cons: "Price."

"I have the 2015 328I X-drive in silver and it is fantastic in all aspects. I have an affinity for well engineered machines, which is why I have gravitated towards BMW. They blend aesthetics with practicality, luxury, power and efficiency, and the end result is a car that capture the essence of who I am. The exterior of the vehicle is beautiful, clean, and classy. It is a pleasure to look at. The interior is well designed with elements that incorporate luxury with technology to envelope you in smart, classy, ergonomic, sporty and state of the art features. I was hesitant to go with a 4 cylinder engine...until I drove it. Again, even in this aspect BMW absolutely exceeds expectations. Most people expect a 4 cylinder engine to be sluggish and to under perform. BMW, however, changes that. They have optimized the performance of their 4 cylinder engine and added a "twin power" turbo. Everyone looks at horsepower, which appears a little low on these 328's, but what really throws you back into the seat isn't the horse power, it's the torque. This twin power turbo creates 255 lb-ft of ab strengthening torque. When you select sport mode, and step on the gas, it feels like you are getting launched off of an air craft carrier, pushing you from zero to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds. To give you some perspective, a dodge viper is a dedicated, 2 seat sports car with an 8 liter, V-10 645 horse power engine. A 2015 Dodge Viper GTC does zero to 60 in 3.4 seconds. The 328 is no dodge viper, but it really gets up and moves. But, if you select Eco Pro, your 328 suddenly becomes so gas friendly oil companies start laying off workers. Most of the time you will probably be in comfort mode, which is a very satisfying combination of performance and fuel efficiency. If you have an affinity for design excellence, class, performance, efficiency, and luxury like I do, this is absolutely the car for you."

Great 3 series

By on Friday, July 22, 2016

Pros: "Great handling, reliable, very much fun to drive"

Cons: "Backup camera wasn't installed"

"Mine is 2014 328i with Sport package and black 20" BMW wheels with RFT Pirelli tires. The handling is exceptional with the sport package. I only wish the RFTs weren't so stiff and in my case low profile (30 in back and 35 up front). Excluding that minor annoyance (easy fix) the car is a blast to drive in any conditions. It's way quicker than the 240HP rating suggests. It tracks true and doesn't require any corrections to maintain a true line of travel. Electronic steering is not as good as hydraulic but that's expected. It will be years before they get it just right. The car feels solid and there are no squeaks or rattles of any kind. I like the sport seats as well, they keep you in place just right (adjustable). If you've never driven a 3 series at least test drive one and you'll understand. Bonus: with black exterior, interior and wheels, it looks awesome too."

Love this car!!!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, looks great, best value among 3's"

Cons: "none!!!"

"We bought the '14 320i a couple of months ago, and are loving it so far!!! Also drove the '14 328i, and glad we didn't pony up the extra $4K because the 320i felt virtually the same. The car has 3 transmission modes which you can select at your fingertips, and feels like 3 different cars. In the sport mode, the steering suddenly becomes much tighter and the car just leaps out when you tap lightly on the gas pedal - always leaves me smiling ear to ear! We chose the drivers assistance package, and the rear camera plus sensors at the 4 corners are a HUGE help. The navigation system has a nice large color screen and voice commands. The iDrive controller has a touch pad, and best of all, it lets you search stuff such as a restaurant's name by "writing" the first few characters with your finger (the software recognizes the handwriting)! The car automatically syncs with the iPhone unfailingly, and the steering even includes controls to look up recent numbers. The audio system is great, and the car lets you save entire CD's (we were told upto 2000 CD's) onto its internal hard disk - not sure if this feature comes only with the navigation system, but we find this very useful. The '14 3-series has the best looking exterior design among BMW's in recent memory, and we love the refined interiors too. We were told that the car sends a different encryption code to the remote every time, and that the car doesn't turn on when the remote is not in the immediate vicinity, so in theory, no one intercepting your remote's signal should be able to break in - hopefully that's true. Overall very very satisfied!"

Greatly Enjoyable But Sometimes Disappointing

By on Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Looks Great, Innovative, Luxurious"

Cons: "Navigation, Auto Stop-Start, Complicated Controls"

"Let's start with the cons: the navigation system is the biggest disappointment. The map is long outdated, even the BMW dealership where I purchased the car from has the wrong address. The map doesn't show the names of all the roads, only the major streets are shown, even if zoomed in. The system is very slow. However, BMW is releasing a new system this November 2012; unfortunately, I purchased my car before the announcement. The other con is the automatic stop-start system to save gas. Good feature on paper, but in practice, the car wakes up violently. It doesn't feel up to par with BMW quality. Finally, the controls are fairly complicated: the fog lights doesn't turn on automatically, neither does the wipers. The settings doesn't stay at the last user setting, instead everything defaults: like the driving dynamics defaulting to Comfort, the Auto-Stop-Start defaulting to on, etc. This becomes very annoying as you need to press a bunch of buttons before driving out. Now the pros: Driving in sport mode is incredibly fun, enough said. The car has incredible acceleration. The interior design is absolutely beautiful, not too many buttons as everything is integrated. Quality is nice. Everything else is expected from the BMW line."

Still a Great Sports Sedan

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Well built, great handling, fuel economy, BMW feel"

Cons: "Could use more grunt, engine can sound weak"

"I bought my new 320i as my commuter car. I traded in a 2011 Subaru WRX which was a real hoot to drive, but was noisy and fairly crude. I had owned a 2005 325i so was not new to BMW. Firstly, my car came with the Premium package, heated seats, and leather. So-equipped it is luxurious, has tons of bells and whistles, and looks very upscale. I debated about the 320i over the 328i because of engine power. As it turns out, saving the $4-7k by going with the 320i was a good decision for the most part. Acceleration is more than adequate but won't take your breath away (no match for the WRX). Particularly in normal driving, it will keep up with anything. Handling is typical 3-series - planted, confidence-inspiring, and predictable. The 8-speed auto seems a little busy to me, but it helps with mileage and performance. So far I'm getting 33 mpg in my daily driving. I wish I could have found one with the sport package as well, but I can live without it. What I don't like about the car is as follows: could use a little more power, the seats are a little too flat for my taste (but nicely upholstered in leather), the iDrive (though hugely improved) is still a little odd at times, the engine can at times sound a little anemic even if not. If you've ever heard a WRX with the optional SPT exhaust, you'll know what a 4-cylinder should sound like. All of these are minor nits and I highly recommend the car. I looked at the Mercedes C250 (underpowered and some of the styling details are weird), the Audi A4 (great build quality but didn't feel as robust or fast the 320i) and the Acura TL (couldn't bring myself to buy a non-German car this time around though it was certainly well equipped and well built)."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 3 Series near Honolulu. See local deals