2008 BMW 3 Series

Based on 1081 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

unreliable

By on Saturday, December 19, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "too much maintenance. cheap plastic parts"

"I had 3 series since 2000. The first one, a 1987 model was very good, a daily driver. The second was a 2002 model, very good that my son now drives, at 151kmiles. Then I bought my wife a 2011 328 which now has 55kmiles and I drive a 09 335i. Both Late models consistently eat a quarter of oil every 3000 miles. They also like chewing on spark plugs and ignition coils. The 2011 had plugs replaced at 50kmiles, completely worn, along with a 5th cylinder ignition coil. Water pumps go between 45k miles and 70 k miles, expect to spend around $1,200, and don't delay replacing these, they are plastic made and will fail. If you drive on a failed pump your engine will fry. Window regulators are made of cheap plastic, expect to replace them after 50 k miles. A/C compressor used to fail at 120 k miles, the E90 models start growling at 60 k miles. Also, the heat in Texas makes the interior panels peel off. In summary, it seems like BMW currently makes 60k mile cars. I doubt I will have another one. I will miss the sharp driving but it is just not worth the hassle."

Great car

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "Handling, quality, looks (from the front)."

Cons: "Smallish back seat. Slow acceleration."

"Purchased car as 3rd vehicle about 1 year ago. It had about 55k miles on it. We love the vehicle. So much so that it has moved up to a daily driver rather than a 3rd vehicle. Thus far (knock on wood) no issues with reliability. The car handles great. Acceleration could be better but then again if you want acceleration you buy a M series. I am a big guy (6 ft 2 and about 275) I can drive/ride compfortably. The back seat is a little small for anyone but adults that are smaller or children."

Premium Performance Machine at a Great Value

By on Friday, June 01, 2012

Pros: "Excellent daily driver for the money!"

Cons: "Other cars can't get out of the way fast enough ;)"

"Simply put this is my favorite car that I've ever owned. Sporty Coupe, with the sport package for great handling like its on rails. The factory sound system is the best, wishing my home system sounded this good! The 335 twin turbo has bunches of power and torque for spirited driving anytime you want."

Just Drive One! you'll never go back to domestic

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pros: "Worth the price tag, very reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "Bridgestone tires, and back seat leg room."

"I believe in supporting the American ecomony and buy as much "Made in the USA" as I can. But not this.... I started dreaming about BMW ownership when I was 22 after I was privileged enough to drive one from Calgary to Vancouver - through the mountain passes, and on the Coq. 14 years later I finally bought one and have NEVER LOOKED BACK. When they say its the Ultimate Driving Machine - they're not blowing smoke. I bought my 325i as a 2 yr old, it is fully equipped with the premium and sport packages and from the second I rolled it off the car lot I was sold. The steering and suspension are stiff and true, there is not an ounce of hesitation when its time to go, it is completly effortless. It has NEVER let me down. I have maintained the car as recommended and have not had a problem. I agree with other reviews though, the Bridgestone Potenza RFT stock tires are CRAPOLA. they are loud, hard, and wear out prematurely and are also ridiculously expensive for such a worthless piece of rubber. The only reason I gave the rating a 9/10 is because there is limited leg room in the back seat. Ok for small kids, but too tight for adults. If you're considering a move to a luxury/sport, just drive one. The best way to describe the way this car drives is to say it has a resting heart rate of 80 mph."

Certified Pre-Owned

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, great in winter, comfortable"

Cons: "No spare tire"

"I bought my 3-Series after searching for months and this was last resort that I stopped at BMW to see what used cars they had on the lot. I haven't bought a used car in over a decade and wasn't thrilled with the idea of buying them again because of headaches. I saw this car in my price range and fell in love. The warranty was better than any new cars I was looking at so was the price. The car is fantastic and drives like a dream. The car is mechanically sound and the body was in great condition. I have been driving it for over a year and will buy again. I would highly recommend a certified pre-owned BMW"

Not worthit

By on Saturday, April 02, 2011

"Bought this car as a CPO with 30k miles on it, navi,sport pack, cold weather pack etc. Cars performance cannot be matched by any other car in this class, but the car is constantly in shop. Fuel pump changed 2x, engine lite came on 4x. Also, tires wear out fast and expensive to replace. Avoid the 335i, and get 328i with sport pack."

Great car, has been really good.

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "nimble, great handling, good fuel consumption"

Cons: "run-flat tires, tight trunk opening space"

"The engine and driving is still solid. I expected to go past 250,000. I don't care too much about the run-flat tires, and the black paint on the roof trimming is starting to peel off. Mechanically, it's in great shape though."

driving enthousiest will love this car!

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "handling and stereo"

Cons: "repair cost and dealorships"

"I have had my 328i with sport package now for over 3 years. It has been a great car to own and drive. I have only owned sports cars and this is one of the best. Also have a M3, and for traveling I like my 328 better. The stereo and handling are the best. German cars have a reputation for being problematic but I haven't had any big issues with either of my beamers. I do recommend avoiding the dealerships and changing the oil more frequently than BMW suggest if you want to keep it long term."

The car feels like an extension to my own body!

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Agility and handling"

Cons: "Moderate to expensive maintanence"

"Of course a 3 series BMW is a bit pricey, but it has always been well worth every penny. It's agility and handling is spot on! The car feels like an extension to my own body...reacting as quickly as I do to any situation. My wagon can handle the dogs, the groceries, or all my camera and studio equipment with it's roomy hatchback, but has all the pep and speed I need when I'm out on the open road. It can hit 110 like cutting butter so watch out! This ain't no soccer-mom car! One piece of advice is to NEVER take it anywhere else other than a BMW dealer for maintenance. You never want to fool with foreign parts on any vehicle let alone this one...I will always believe that every car manufacturer designs it's cars with factory parts to work synergistically with each other...plus I want the resale value with original and manufacturer only parts ."

More Car and Driver writers drive a BMW3

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "31 mpg highway from 150 mph car? (26.1 avg)"

Cons: "Color was discontinued, very hard to match."

Parked on the lot before I signed the dotted line.

"I traded my '98 528i to this '06 325i Sport. Both are excellent, but serve slightly different purposes. 3s are a compact "sport coupe" (so to speak). They lean more to performance than just amenified luxury, though no BMW suffers in the performance or safety department. I think BMW inline 6cyl are just about the most robust and efficient engine in it's class produced, and tout with regular factory service as specified, you can keep almost any BMW running forever. The 3 is fun, responsive, yet refined, safe, and very street-able. A fun yet sensicle combo."

Parked on the lot before I signed the dotted line.

simply a joy to drive, but....

By on Friday, November 16, 2012

Pros: "Driving dynamics are superior to any other vehicle"

Cons: "reliabitlty and uneasiness of self repairs."

"We simply love to drive this beemer. Its outfitted with the sports package and hugs the road tightly. Most people think this package is a bit rough but we don't think so. Compared to the base model I feel that this suspension (sport) is far superior for road manners. Driving dynamics and interior comfort are supreme aspects, however there are a few notable flaws. Reliability has never really been the strong arm of bmw's. Still goes true for us as we have already had to replace the electric water pump. There have been other issues that have come and since been repaired but all have seem to surface after the expiration of the warranty, go figure! Love/hate relationship but it's still in our driveway so we must love it more than we hate it?"

"The Ultimate Driving Machine"!!!!

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Pros: "BMW thinks f everything. What a blast to drive!"

Cons: "N/A"

"What a complete hoot to drive. BMW thinks of everything to make your driving experience the very best!!! I have only one regret....it reminds me of seeing HD TV for the first time... I never knew what I was missing...Now, I'm hooked! I can't see ever driving anything else, if I can be so lucky!"

I absolutley love this car!

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "smooth ride, hadles well, comfortable, beautiful!"

Cons: "Maintainance costs, gas prices"

"No matter my mood, getting behind the wheel of this car instantly perks me up. I don't know a ton about cars and their inner workings so the feeling a car gives me plus how it handles are key. Until recently, I lived in a very rural area with lots of winding roads. This car takes turns like a champ!"

very good car

By on Thursday, September 06, 2012

"Its a very good reliable car and engineered to perfection as far as the engine and confort is concerned.The only con on this vehicle would be its tires. They are very expensive to replace and the maintenance is also expensive. Other then that its an amazing vehicle,and I would recommend it to anyboby."

Fastest 4-door for it's size

By on Thursday, September 29, 2011

I don't own this car

Pros: "Great car to drive"

Cons: "The cost to buy and own one."

"This car handles and drives as good as they come. The biggest gripe is the cost of buying one of these."

i got a lemon

By on Sunday, October 31, 2010

"had this car for 10 months, visited the dealer 7 times for malfunctioning electrical programming, had to change the tires and do aligment (cost $1800), my worst driving convertible experience, chrysler sebring was more reliable, had it 4 yrs, no problems."

Never Again

By on Monday, March 29, 2010

"Purchased 09 335xi used, BMW executive car, from local BMW dealer. Have driven the car 4500 miles back in the shop with its second engine malfunction, that is what the dash calls it. The first time it was in for a week and now who knows it was just towed in. Which is another story BMW assist, what a joke! I called at 8 this morning and was on the phone with the representative for 30 minutes, she could not find any tow company to pick up my car. After 30 minutes she confirmed that a tow truck would be there by 10:15, over 2 hours after my first call. At 11:00 the tow truck came but apparently my car did not have a tow hook, BMW's cannot be towed without a special facotry supplied hook which I did not have, never checked. I traded by Infinity FX with 145,000 miles which was never in the shop for the piece of garbage. Never Again will I own a BMW."

By on Sunday, March 29, 2009

"I bought this 2006 325i with 17,000 miles on it and it had an extended service warranty on it as well. Dealership has been great as they travel 30 minutes to pick this car up at my house for any servicing. I can not imagine owning anything but a BMW after this. My wife loved my car so much she bought a X3 for herself. One other perk, car insurance dropped once we added the BMW to it."

Lived up to my dreams

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "great to drive, good on gas, solid in bad weather"

Cons: "cup holder location. As if that's a Big deal."

"Finally able to get a BMW when I handed the Nissan to my daughter when she turned 16. This car has been great to drive for the past 8 years and 140k+ miles. The 325xi AWD is the most sure-footed car, better in the snow than the Volvo XC90, better than FWD Nissan or Hyundai. It is responsive on the accelerator, brake, and especially the steering. Good on gas on the highways, getting over 30mph when averaging over the posted. Downside? The cupholders are not in a good place. And the back seat is not good for an adult traveling more than 2 hours. Next car is another BMW, but I plan to take delivery in Germany for that one."

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

"I love driving this car. It handles well on the road, even when there is ice/snow (the DTC does wonders)"

My first "Ultimate Driving Experience"

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Power, Handling, Flawless on smooth roads !"

Cons: "Run Flat tires, no place for change and sunglasses"

"I have been a devoted Lexus driver for more than 10 years. I have to say my 2008 328i (only 14,000 miles on it) is a joy to drive. The precision handling is simply unsurpassed. Does it glide as smoothly as a Lexus? NO, but I didn't expect it to. This is a sports sedan with much more taut suspension. I drove the car from Houston back to Dallas and I was extremely comfortable in it as a 6 ft. 220 lb. man. On smooth roads (freeways) this car is AMAZING. I got her up to 100 mph without any effort at all, and lots of power to spare. The car is technologically advanced. Fortunately mine does NOT have the iDrive system however which I have heard is rather confusing, but even without that system, the car is full of bells and whistles and monitoring systems of all sorts. The heated seats are simply sublime. Great stereo system and hands-free bluetooth. The ONLY complaints I have are the same as other drivers... the cup-holders and the run flat tires. Other than that - it's about as perfect as it gets."

best car i ever owned

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "fast, very attractive, fun to drive, constant comp"

Cons: "drivers mirror won't adjust enough for me"

"with the exception of the high pressure fuel pump [replaced under warranty] this vehicle has performed flawlessly and is a ton of fun to drive."

Amazing vehicle!

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

Pros: "A pleasure to drive"

Cons: "When warranty expires, don't use dealer if possib"

"I love this car! It's a pleasure to drive. Handles beautifully. Good on gas, plus awesome design."

zoom zoom

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pros: "style. Dependable. exotic."

Cons: "nothing. perfect."

"I have a 06 325I that I have owned for6 months. I have always dreamed of having one and now at the age of 48 I feel like a kid again. I can't understand why people give fair to poor ratings on these cars. The ULTIMATE driving machine. Yes, the suspension is tight. Yes, the steering is tight. Yes, it growls when you need it to. But remember, you're buying the BEST sports car/luxury car, plus BEST performance on the market. So it's sometimes expensive to fix, but a gain, you have a BMW. I've always been told, you treat a car and she will treat you just fine."

Still love driving it

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, twin turbo, luxury and sporty"

Cons: "price, Idrive takes getting used to"

"I bought from the factory as demand for 6 spd manuals were high. Great car, no problems or issues with it. You can't beat the maintenance plan and warranty that BMW offers. Sporty to drive, handles well fun to drive through the mountains. The car is almost 5 years old and I still get compliments on it and offers to buy it. I got the second generation 335i that didnt have the oil cooling issues that the first generation had. I would recommend this car to anyone with the money to spend."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 3 Series near Honolulu. See local deals