2008 BMW 3 Series

Based on 996 Ratings for the 2006 - 2011 models.

ultimate driving machine..repairs costly tho

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "superior handling, suspension, control"

Cons: "cost of repair"

"I've had my 2007 335i for four years now, bought it in 2008. I've owned several different vehicles, mostly sports cars, but this was my first BMW. Handling and performance are very important to me, and I give it 5 stars in both categories (note: my 335i came with all packages, all upgrades, which includes better suspension, wheels, etc). It's sporty, even the sedan, even without all the upgrades. And the turbo boost is pretty cool too. Those are my compliments. Now for the complaints. Everything on this car is expensive to replace. Everything. The warranty covers repairs up to 50k miles but after that, it's all on you. So far, I've spent $5600 on maintenance/repairs, $2800 for tires (note: I don't spare any expense or cheap out on components or repairs, I only use what BMW recommends or better...it is a performance car). If you're the kind of person that doesn't have to budget, cool I guess, but if you're like me, you do. When considering the purchase price of this car, you need to include cost of repairs because you're going to need it. All that being said, I still love my 335i and don't regret my decision at all. And for my next car, what will I get?? Another BMW of course. They're seriously that much fun to drive."

My third and last BMW

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "fund to drive, great looks, high resale value"

Cons: "unreliable"

"I purchased my 330i with 34,000 miles. It currently has 97k miles. The Good: great looking car, great driving dynamics, very smooth acceleration, amazing sound system, love the overall look. The Bad: This car has been a nothing short of a nightmare... While under warranty I had the "sticky" door handles replaced twice, passenger side air bag sensor replaced, peeling interior door trim. After the warranty expired, @60k miles I had a transmission fluid leak (faulty mechatronic sleeve?!!) and oil pan seal $800, @70k miles bad crankshaft seal $1200, @80k miles wheel bearing and new battery $900, and @96k miles waterpump and thermostat failure left me stranded on the highway 100 miles from home $1300 (towing was free, thank god) @97k miles car started shaking like an earthquake while idle... faulty ignition coils 2 out 6 replaced $300.... The run flat tires are great for not getting flats... I have driven nearly 70k miles and never a flat but they provide a loud rough ride for the car... Summary: Buy this car for the looks only and get rid it ASAP after you warranty expires."

Great to Drive but a Pain to Own

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "great handling, steering braking"

Cons: "pain in the butt"

"My 328i has the premium package, sport package and a 6 speed manual transmission. The car is not blazingly fast but it handles better than any car I have driven short of a Porsche. The sport suspension is very firm but not uncomfortable. The steering is the most direct I have ever experienced. The car feels like it is on rails. The brakes are superb and the stick shift is excellent with one reservation..it sometimes balks going into first gear. The problem with the car are the dumb little things that keep going wrong. I have had seatbelt problems, locking system problems, starters burning out..all annoying stuff that has been covered under the warranty. Too many trips to the dealer for repairs. If it were any other car, I would have gotten rid of it long ago but I love how it drives so I still have it. A true LOVE-HATE relationship. My advice, if you get the car, lease it and let them pay for everything..not you. By the way, I have driven the car without the sport suspension and with an automatic transmission. It's OK but not even close."

Great car

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "Handling, quality, looks (from the front)."

Cons: "Smallish back seat. Slow acceleration."

"Purchased car as 3rd vehicle about 1 year ago. It had about 55k miles on it. We love the vehicle. So much so that it has moved up to a daily driver rather than a 3rd vehicle. Thus far (knock on wood) no issues with reliability. The car handles great. Acceleration could be better but then again if you want acceleration you buy a M series. I am a big guy (6 ft 2 and about 275) I can drive/ride compfortably. The back seat is a little small for anyone but adults that are smaller or children."

1st and Last BMW

By on Monday, December 05, 2011

Reason: I was disappointed with quality of vehicle as well as service experience at BMW Service Centers.

Pros: "Exeterior looks nice"

Cons: "Overall design, reliability, and quality on 335xi"

"I purchased my first BMW in 2009 and it was a 335XI Coupe. You hear that the 3 series for BMW is a good car etc and of course ads galore on tv, websites, and so on. The service centers I have been to in VA and CT did sloppy jobs e.g. I had missing tire caps after buying tires at one center. Also, had some nice grease marks from mechanics on my interior after a technician(s) conducted maintenance or repairs. I just my fuel pump as well as mutliple injecdors replaced this year, 2011, five different times. One time my car was smoking like crazy from the muffler and I was fortunate enough that a BMW service center was somewhat nearby otherwise TOW truck time! It would of been more money out of my pocket for fuel pump issues that BMW warranties up to 10 years/120K miles. I didn't want to spend any more time with the service center folks so I decided to trade my vehicle in for a non-BMW. Can you imagine changing the fuel pump continuously for 10 years/120K miles? It was a disappointing experience in buying this vehicle and BMW customer service/headquarters were not very responsive or helpful in resolving my fuel pump issues."

Great performance marred by reliability issues.

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "Performance"

Cons: "Reliability and cost to own"

"My BMW 335i has a great engine and, with the sport package, excellent handling although the ride is quite firm but I like it like that. I bought it used - it was not CPO - with about a year left on the original warranty. I purchased an extended warranty when the original expired. Good thing I did, because the extended warranty has saved me thousands, more than twice what it cost with a year still remaining. Problems include water pump, fuel sending unit and injectors, electric window and mirror mechanisms, suspension mounts, plus more and not to mention that maintenance and tires are insanely expensive. I love the car and will probably get another but would not own any Bimmer without warranty protection."

No "Foo - Foo" a true Drivers Car

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Will make you smile every time you drive."

Cons: "A great back seat for two only."

The Ultimate Driving Machine!

"When you spend time with this machine, you will see that someone took the extra time, to engineer and design every little function and detail. Controls make sense, gauges make sense, engine sounds make sense, road feel and overall performance was built into the car from the ground up, not just added on. The engine does its job and is happy to do so day in day out. The transmission is silky smooth, and you can feel the years of engineering in everything the car does. A firm and comfortable ride with enough luxury and performance to keep everyone happy. If you do get enough of the sweet engine sounds, the multiple speaker dual sub woofer sound system is perfect for all music. Black and white gauges, powerful engine, crisp clean look with no "Foo Foo" or fluff anywhere."

The Ultimate Driving Machine!

fun to drive, expensive to repair

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "very expensive to repair"

"car has had some problems, nothing major. The red warning light for the transmission just started coming on and it had to get water pump replaced, $1000. I would not buy a used bmw without having a well trained shop check it out and run diagnostic computer tests on it before buying it."

Excellent car,

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "Drive dynamics, acceleration, looks"

Cons: "Run Flat Tires"

"What a great ride this car has been. The only and really only complain that I have is the Run Flat Tires. Not that they are not comfortable ride, rather just that there is no room in the trunk for spare tire, so if you want to switch to Non-RFTs, you have no spare. It is one of the best rides that I have had, gas economy is good, speed and drive dynamics are awesome!"

Truly an ultimate driving machine!

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Great car to drive, less maintenance"

Cons: "Mileage"

"I owned my 325xi since March of 2006. So far, I just love my car! It is a pleasure to drive it. You wouldn't appreciate the real pleasure of driving this car unless you drive a rental car for maybe couple of weeks and come back to it. Maintenance - After the factory warranty had expired in 2010, I had two major expenses out of pocket - 1) Replaced the front and rear break pads in 2011 ~ $500 2) Replaced the battery for the first time in 2014 ~ $300. Other than those two expenses, I just do the normal engine oil service, break fluid flush, etc. The only concern I have at the moment is about the mileage, I only get ~18 Miles/Ga at the moment maybe due to my city commute to work."

I love this car PERIOD.

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Power, handling, options"

Cons: "Maybe just the window switch placement."

"I have had this car for 3 years and still can't wait to drive it everyday. I don't have a single complaint. I have an 2000 BMW 328ci (I just couldn't say goodbye) and a 2012 Camaro SS. The Camaro may have a bit more power but this beast does what all BMW claim to give the ultimate driving experience. The Camaro is nice to drive sure but I still can't get over how a sedan with a six cylinder handles and puts out enough power to plant you in your seat and the best part is my wife doesn't have to hold on for dear life as she doesn't realize I just got off a 180 degree exit ramp doing 80, haha. Just a great car all around. No problems to date except a window regulator which I fixed with a replacement part for $18."

For those that love driving

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Handling, responsive, acceleration, gas mileage"

Cons: "Interior features, run flat tires with no spare"

"I was looking for a dependable, well built, 4 door sedan that still retained a sporty feel. This car fit the bill and then some. I looked at lexus, toyota, honda, acura, but it seemed most of the cost of the higher end vehicles went into interior bells and whistles and NOT how the car handled. The BMW is first a sports car, second a sedan and you can feel that when driving it. Love love the handling, the braking and the responsiveness of the car. Its solid, well built and I have had no mechanical problems. The gas mileage on this car is GREAT for a V-6 (and with my heavy footed driving). I get 26 mpg with mostly in town driving, and 31.5 mpg on the highway. There are only a couple complaints I have that prevent this from being a 5 star vehicle. First, run flat tires are a pain, and with no spare in the trunk you are a bit stuck with your choices. In a colder climate with winter damaged roads, run flats are not real practical and a rough hard ride. I finally went with a better non run flat tire, and purchased triple A coverage. The car rides MUCH better now, I am just crossing my fingers for no flat anytime soon. The interior is lacking a lot of extras, which I am fine with but some folks might find a negative. Cup holders are not very practical, very little interior storage (the manual will not even fit in the glove box), and for some reason they decided to put the lock/unlock button in the center of the dash which means you have to get IN the car to unlock the doors essentially. Also, some of the orange text in the displays is a pain with polarized sun glasses (seems minor, but you cannot read the radio/display with them on). If you can afford it and you live in a colder climate, I highly recommend the xi model for the AWD. Rear wheel drive in snow run flats equals no fun."

Switching from Honda to BMW from here on out!

By on Friday, September 04, 2009

"Pros: Style, Power, Accurate Steer, glued to the road, a/c, dealer experience, 1.9% financing, year end deals. Cons: Seats don't breath, Premium gas. All in all, a much nicer experience than the Accord 6cyl for just a few thousand more. Don't buy the wheel/tire insurance, run flat replacements are less than $200 each. Also don't buy the i-pod adapter, go to the apple store and save over $300."

driving enthousiest will love this car!

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "handling and stereo"

Cons: "repair cost and dealorships"

"I have had my 328i with sport package now for over 3 years. It has been a great car to own and drive. I have only owned sports cars and this is one of the best. Also have a M3, and for traveling I like my 328 better. The stereo and handling are the best. German cars have a reputation for being problematic but I haven't had any big issues with either of my beamers. I do recommend avoiding the dealerships and changing the oil more frequently than BMW suggest if you want to keep it long term."

Just Drive One! you'll never go back to domestic

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pros: "Worth the price tag, very reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "Bridgestone tires, and back seat leg room."

"I believe in supporting the American ecomony and buy as much "Made in the USA" as I can. But not this.... I started dreaming about BMW ownership when I was 22 after I was privileged enough to drive one from Calgary to Vancouver - through the mountain passes, and on the Coq. 14 years later I finally bought one and have NEVER LOOKED BACK. When they say its the Ultimate Driving Machine - they're not blowing smoke. I bought my 325i as a 2 yr old, it is fully equipped with the premium and sport packages and from the second I rolled it off the car lot I was sold. The steering and suspension are stiff and true, there is not an ounce of hesitation when its time to go, it is completly effortless. It has NEVER let me down. I have maintained the car as recommended and have not had a problem. I agree with other reviews though, the Bridgestone Potenza RFT stock tires are CRAPOLA. they are loud, hard, and wear out prematurely and are also ridiculously expensive for such a worthless piece of rubber. The only reason I gave the rating a 9/10 is because there is limited leg room in the back seat. Ok for small kids, but too tight for adults. If you're considering a move to a luxury/sport, just drive one. The best way to describe the way this car drives is to say it has a resting heart rate of 80 mph."

The car feels like an extension to my own body!

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Agility and handling"

Cons: "Moderate to expensive maintanence"

"Of course a 3 series BMW is a bit pricey, but it has always been well worth every penny. It's agility and handling is spot on! The car feels like an extension to my own body...reacting as quickly as I do to any situation. My wagon can handle the dogs, the groceries, or all my camera and studio equipment with it's roomy hatchback, but has all the pep and speed I need when I'm out on the open road. It can hit 110 like cutting butter so watch out! This ain't no soccer-mom car! One piece of advice is to NEVER take it anywhere else other than a BMW dealer for maintenance. You never want to fool with foreign parts on any vehicle let alone this one...I will always believe that every car manufacturer designs it's cars with factory parts to work synergistically with each other...plus I want the resale value with original and manufacturer only parts ."

More Car and Driver writers drive a BMW3

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "31 mpg highway from 150 mph car? (26.1 avg)"

Cons: "Color was discontinued, very hard to match."

Parked on the lot before I signed the dotted line.

"I traded my '98 528i to this '06 325i Sport. Both are excellent, but serve slightly different purposes. 3s are a compact "sport coupe" (so to speak). They lean more to performance than just amenified luxury, though no BMW suffers in the performance or safety department. I think BMW inline 6cyl are just about the most robust and efficient engine in it's class produced, and tout with regular factory service as specified, you can keep almost any BMW running forever. The 3 is fun, responsive, yet refined, safe, and very street-able. A fun yet sensicle combo."

Parked on the lot before I signed the dotted line.

simply a joy to drive, but....

By on Friday, November 16, 2012

Pros: "Driving dynamics are superior to any other vehicle"

Cons: "reliabitlty and uneasiness of self repairs."

"We simply love to drive this beemer. Its outfitted with the sports package and hugs the road tightly. Most people think this package is a bit rough but we don't think so. Compared to the base model I feel that this suspension (sport) is far superior for road manners. Driving dynamics and interior comfort are supreme aspects, however there are a few notable flaws. Reliability has never really been the strong arm of bmw's. Still goes true for us as we have already had to replace the electric water pump. There have been other issues that have come and since been repaired but all have seem to surface after the expiration of the warranty, go figure! Love/hate relationship but it's still in our driveway so we must love it more than we hate it?"

"The Ultimate Driving Machine"!!!!

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Pros: "BMW thinks f everything. What a blast to drive!"

Cons: "N/A"

"What a complete hoot to drive. BMW thinks of everything to make your driving experience the very best!!! I have only one regret....it reminds me of seeing HD TV for the first time... I never knew what I was missing...Now, I'm hooked! I can't see ever driving anything else, if I can be so lucky!"

I absolutley love this car!

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros: "smooth ride, hadles well, comfortable, beautiful!"

Cons: "Maintainance costs, gas prices"

"No matter my mood, getting behind the wheel of this car instantly perks me up. I don't know a ton about cars and their inner workings so the feeling a car gives me plus how it handles are key. Until recently, I lived in a very rural area with lots of winding roads. This car takes turns like a champ!"

very good car

By on Thursday, September 06, 2012

"Its a very good reliable car and engineered to perfection as far as the engine and confort is concerned.The only con on this vehicle would be its tires. They are very expensive to replace and the maintenance is also expensive. Other then that its an amazing vehicle,and I would recommend it to anyboby."

Premium Performance Machine at a Great Value

By on Friday, June 01, 2012

Pros: "Excellent daily driver for the money!"

Cons: "Other cars can't get out of the way fast enough ;)"

"Simply put this is my favorite car that I've ever owned. Sporty Coupe, with the sport package for great handling like its on rails. The factory sound system is the best, wishing my home system sounded this good! The 335 twin turbo has bunches of power and torque for spirited driving anytime you want."

Nice ride when running!

By on Friday, December 23, 2011

Pros: "Styling. Ride."

Cons: "Not reliable. Money pit. Bad engineering"

"Does not deserve the reputation for quality or engineering. Beautiful styling, and comfortable ride. But that's where the positives end. Ordered mine from the factory new. Had problems from the first month I took delivery. First 4 years (50K miles) BMW fixed everything at no charge. But after 50K when the warranty expired I started paying about $4,000 to $6,000 per year for repaires, not counting scheduled maintenance. Before buying the BMW I had 5 Hondas. I thought I was upgrading in quality when I bought the BMW. What a mistake! New Honda CRV just came out. I am trading the BMW in and never buying one again."

Certified Pre-Owned

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, great in winter, comfortable"

Cons: "No spare tire"

"I bought my 3-Series after searching for months and this was last resort that I stopped at BMW to see what used cars they had on the lot. I haven't bought a used car in over a decade and wasn't thrilled with the idea of buying them again because of headaches. I saw this car in my price range and fell in love. The warranty was better than any new cars I was looking at so was the price. The car is fantastic and drives like a dream. The car is mechanically sound and the body was in great condition. I have been driving it for over a year and will buy again. I would highly recommend a certified pre-owned BMW"

Fastest 4-door for it's size

By on Thursday, September 29, 2011

I don't own this car

Pros: "Great car to drive"

Cons: "The cost to buy and own one."

"This car handles and drives as good as they come. The biggest gripe is the cost of buying one of these."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 3 Series near Honolulu. See local deals