2008 BMW 3 Series

Based on 1000 Ratings for the 2006 - 2011 models.

ultimate driving machine..repairs costly tho

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "superior handling, suspension, control"

Cons: "cost of repair"

"I've had my 2007 335i for four years now, bought it in 2008. I've owned several different vehicles, mostly sports cars, but this was my first BMW. Handling and performance are very important to me, and I give it 5 stars in both categories (note: my 335i came with all packages, all upgrades, which includes better suspension, wheels, etc). It's sporty, even the sedan, even without all the upgrades. And the turbo boost is pretty cool too. Those are my compliments. Now for the complaints. Everything on this car is expensive to replace. Everything. The warranty covers repairs up to 50k miles but after that, it's all on you. So far, I've spent $5600 on maintenance/repairs, $2800 for tires (note: I don't spare any expense or cheap out on components or repairs, I only use what BMW recommends or better...it is a performance car). If you're the kind of person that doesn't have to budget, cool I guess, but if you're like me, you do. When considering the purchase price of this car, you need to include cost of repairs because you're going to need it. All that being said, I still love my 335i and don't regret my decision at all. And for my next car, what will I get?? Another BMW of course. They're seriously that much fun to drive."

My third and last BMW

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "fund to drive, great looks, high resale value"

Cons: "unreliable"

"I purchased my 330i with 34,000 miles. It currently has 97k miles. The Good: great looking car, great driving dynamics, very smooth acceleration, amazing sound system, love the overall look. The Bad: This car has been a nothing short of a nightmare... While under warranty I had the "sticky" door handles replaced twice, passenger side air bag sensor replaced, peeling interior door trim. After the warranty expired, @60k miles I had a transmission fluid leak (faulty mechatronic sleeve?!!) and oil pan seal $800, @70k miles bad crankshaft seal $1200, @80k miles wheel bearing and new battery $900, and @96k miles waterpump and thermostat failure left me stranded on the highway 100 miles from home $1300 (towing was free, thank god) @97k miles car started shaking like an earthquake while idle... faulty ignition coils 2 out 6 replaced $300.... The run flat tires are great for not getting flats... I have driven nearly 70k miles and never a flat but they provide a loud rough ride for the car... Summary: Buy this car for the looks only and get rid it ASAP after you warranty expires."

Great to Drive but a Pain to Own

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "great handling, steering braking"

Cons: "pain in the butt"

"My 328i has the premium package, sport package and a 6 speed manual transmission. The car is not blazingly fast but it handles better than any car I have driven short of a Porsche. The sport suspension is very firm but not uncomfortable. The steering is the most direct I have ever experienced. The car feels like it is on rails. The brakes are superb and the stick shift is excellent with one reservation..it sometimes balks going into first gear. The problem with the car are the dumb little things that keep going wrong. I have had seatbelt problems, locking system problems, starters burning out..all annoying stuff that has been covered under the warranty. Too many trips to the dealer for repairs. If it were any other car, I would have gotten rid of it long ago but I love how it drives so I still have it. A true LOVE-HATE relationship. My advice, if you get the car, lease it and let them pay for everything..not you. By the way, I have driven the car without the sport suspension and with an automatic transmission. It's OK but not even close."

Great car

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "Handling, quality, looks (from the front)."

Cons: "Smallish back seat. Slow acceleration."

"Purchased car as 3rd vehicle about 1 year ago. It had about 55k miles on it. We love the vehicle. So much so that it has moved up to a daily driver rather than a 3rd vehicle. Thus far (knock on wood) no issues with reliability. The car handles great. Acceleration could be better but then again if you want acceleration you buy a M series. I am a big guy (6 ft 2 and about 275) I can drive/ride compfortably. The back seat is a little small for anyone but adults that are smaller or children."

1st and Last BMW

By on Monday, December 05, 2011

Reason: I was disappointed with quality of vehicle as well as service experience at BMW Service Centers.

Pros: "Exeterior looks nice"

Cons: "Overall design, reliability, and quality on 335xi"

"I purchased my first BMW in 2009 and it was a 335XI Coupe. You hear that the 3 series for BMW is a good car etc and of course ads galore on tv, websites, and so on. The service centers I have been to in VA and CT did sloppy jobs e.g. I had missing tire caps after buying tires at one center. Also, had some nice grease marks from mechanics on my interior after a technician(s) conducted maintenance or repairs. I just my fuel pump as well as mutliple injecdors replaced this year, 2011, five different times. One time my car was smoking like crazy from the muffler and I was fortunate enough that a BMW service center was somewhat nearby otherwise TOW truck time! It would of been more money out of my pocket for fuel pump issues that BMW warranties up to 10 years/120K miles. I didn't want to spend any more time with the service center folks so I decided to trade my vehicle in for a non-BMW. Can you imagine changing the fuel pump continuously for 10 years/120K miles? It was a disappointing experience in buying this vehicle and BMW customer service/headquarters were not very responsive or helpful in resolving my fuel pump issues."

Great performance marred by reliability issues.

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "Performance"

Cons: "Reliability and cost to own"

"My BMW 335i has a great engine and, with the sport package, excellent handling although the ride is quite firm but I like it like that. I bought it used - it was not CPO - with about a year left on the original warranty. I purchased an extended warranty when the original expired. Good thing I did, because the extended warranty has saved me thousands, more than twice what it cost with a year still remaining. Problems include water pump, fuel sending unit and injectors, electric window and mirror mechanisms, suspension mounts, plus more and not to mention that maintenance and tires are insanely expensive. I love the car and will probably get another but would not own any Bimmer without warranty protection."

No "Foo - Foo" a true Drivers Car

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Will make you smile every time you drive."

Cons: "A great back seat for two only."

The Ultimate Driving Machine!

"When you spend time with this machine, you will see that someone took the extra time, to engineer and design every little function and detail. Controls make sense, gauges make sense, engine sounds make sense, road feel and overall performance was built into the car from the ground up, not just added on. The engine does its job and is happy to do so day in day out. The transmission is silky smooth, and you can feel the years of engineering in everything the car does. A firm and comfortable ride with enough luxury and performance to keep everyone happy. If you do get enough of the sweet engine sounds, the multiple speaker dual sub woofer sound system is perfect for all music. Black and white gauges, powerful engine, crisp clean look with no "Foo Foo" or fluff anywhere."

The Ultimate Driving Machine!

fun to drive, expensive to repair

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "very expensive to repair"

"car has had some problems, nothing major. The red warning light for the transmission just started coming on and it had to get water pump replaced, $1000. I would not buy a used bmw without having a well trained shop check it out and run diagnostic computer tests on it before buying it."

Excellent car,

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "Drive dynamics, acceleration, looks"

Cons: "Run Flat Tires"

"What a great ride this car has been. The only and really only complain that I have is the Run Flat Tires. Not that they are not comfortable ride, rather just that there is no room in the trunk for spare tire, so if you want to switch to Non-RFTs, you have no spare. It is one of the best rides that I have had, gas economy is good, speed and drive dynamics are awesome!"

Truly an ultimate driving machine!

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Great car to drive, less maintenance"

Cons: "Mileage"

"I owned my 325xi since March of 2006. So far, I just love my car! It is a pleasure to drive it. You wouldn't appreciate the real pleasure of driving this car unless you drive a rental car for maybe couple of weeks and come back to it. Maintenance - After the factory warranty had expired in 2010, I had two major expenses out of pocket - 1) Replaced the front and rear break pads in 2011 ~ $500 2) Replaced the battery for the first time in 2014 ~ $300. Other than those two expenses, I just do the normal engine oil service, break fluid flush, etc. The only concern I have at the moment is about the mileage, I only get ~18 Miles/Ga at the moment maybe due to my city commute to work."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 3 Series near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for