2008 BMW 3 Series

Based on 1061 Ratings for the 2006 - 2011 models.

Great performance marred by reliability issues.

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "Performance"

Cons: "Reliability and cost to own"

"My BMW 335i has a great engine and, with the sport package, excellent handling although the ride is quite firm but I like it like that. I bought it used - it was not CPO - with about a year left on the original warranty. I purchased an extended warranty when the original expired. Good thing I did, because the extended warranty has saved me thousands, more than twice what it cost with a year still remaining. Problems include water pump, fuel sending unit and injectors, electric window and mirror mechanisms, suspension mounts, plus more and not to mention that maintenance and tires are insanely expensive. I love the car and will probably get another but would not own any Bimmer without warranty protection."

Good 2nd car for single person

By on Monday, April 20, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Extremely high cost of ownership"

"An auto mechanics dream. AC repair, brake sensors, brake pads, and other less costly repairs plus high cost routine maintenance and I have spent almost $5000 in the past 5000 miles. No wonder the warranty ends at 40,000 miles."

fun to drive, expensive to repair

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "very expensive to repair"

"car has had some problems, nothing major. The red warning light for the transmission just started coming on and it had to get water pump replaced, $1000. I would not buy a used bmw without having a well trained shop check it out and run diagnostic computer tests on it before buying it."

Great car

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "Handling, quality, looks (from the front)."

Cons: "Smallish back seat. Slow acceleration."

"Purchased car as 3rd vehicle about 1 year ago. It had about 55k miles on it. We love the vehicle. So much so that it has moved up to a daily driver rather than a 3rd vehicle. Thus far (knock on wood) no issues with reliability. The car handles great. Acceleration could be better but then again if you want acceleration you buy a M series. I am a big guy (6 ft 2 and about 275) I can drive/ride compfortably. The back seat is a little small for anyone but adults that are smaller or children."

Fantastic blend of luxury and performance

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Performance, Handling, Styling, Build Quality"

Cons: "Stock Rear Differential is Open Design"

"I am absolutely a gearhead and someone who pays close to attention to all of the details of how a car is made, it's aftermarket appeal, or the quality of the driving experience in stock form it delivers. Although many cars offer similar options as the 335i like heated and power seats, automatic windshield wipers (these are superior to others I've used/had in other makes version), moonroof, etc. there are some key differences in the 335i. BMW's rack and pinion steering is absolutely one of the best on the market. The car is predictable and you always feel like you are in complete control of the car but not pushing the car past what it can do. The powertrain is purely astonishing. Everything from the motor, transmission, and fuel system are designed to handle power levels far beyond it's stock rating. (which is underrated by about 10% by the way). This is great for someone who is looking into aftermarket enchancements for greater power, or someone who simply looking for long term reliability from a car in stock form. Once you combine the interior luxury (no it's not an Aston Martin of course), but the interior is completely functional. It's not overly flashy, but everything works and is very clean. The retractable cupholders are a great touch and storage is ample. What really sets this car apart for me though is the timeless exterior styling and the twin turbo inline 6 forged internals powerplant, or better known as the N54. Truly a fantastic car that is tough to be without jumping up into a much higher price point. It's the little things like the active headlights and additional side light that turns on when you make a turn, the automatic wipers, the adjustable seat bolsters, the twin turbo motor, you just know you're not in an average car."

Excellent car,

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "Drive dynamics, acceleration, looks"

Cons: "Run Flat Tires"

"What a great ride this car has been. The only and really only complain that I have is the Run Flat Tires. Not that they are not comfortable ride, rather just that there is no room in the trunk for spare tire, so if you want to switch to Non-RFTs, you have no spare. It is one of the best rides that I have had, gas economy is good, speed and drive dynamics are awesome!"

Premium Performance Machine at a Great Value

By on Friday, June 01, 2012

Pros: "Excellent daily driver for the money!"

Cons: "Other cars can't get out of the way fast enough ;)"

"Simply put this is my favorite car that I've ever owned. Sporty Coupe, with the sport package for great handling like its on rails. The factory sound system is the best, wishing my home system sounded this good! The 335 twin turbo has bunches of power and torque for spirited driving anytime you want."

For those that love driving

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Handling, responsive, acceleration, gas mileage"

Cons: "Interior features, run flat tires with no spare"

"I was looking for a dependable, well built, 4 door sedan that still retained a sporty feel. This car fit the bill and then some. I looked at lexus, toyota, honda, acura, but it seemed most of the cost of the higher end vehicles went into interior bells and whistles and NOT how the car handled. The BMW is first a sports car, second a sedan and you can feel that when driving it. Love love the handling, the braking and the responsiveness of the car. Its solid, well built and I have had no mechanical problems. The gas mileage on this car is GREAT for a V-6 (and with my heavy footed driving). I get 26 mpg with mostly in town driving, and 31.5 mpg on the highway. There are only a couple complaints I have that prevent this from being a 5 star vehicle. First, run flat tires are a pain, and with no spare in the trunk you are a bit stuck with your choices. In a colder climate with winter damaged roads, run flats are not real practical and a rough hard ride. I finally went with a better non run flat tire, and purchased triple A coverage. The car rides MUCH better now, I am just crossing my fingers for no flat anytime soon. The interior is lacking a lot of extras, which I am fine with but some folks might find a negative. Cup holders are not very practical, very little interior storage (the manual will not even fit in the glove box), and for some reason they decided to put the lock/unlock button in the center of the dash which means you have to get IN the car to unlock the doors essentially. Also, some of the orange text in the displays is a pain with polarized sun glasses (seems minor, but you cannot read the radio/display with them on). If you can afford it and you live in a colder climate, I highly recommend the xi model for the AWD. Rear wheel drive in snow run flats equals no fun."

Truly an ultimate driving machine!

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Great car to drive, less maintenance"

Cons: "Mileage"

"I owned my 325xi since March of 2006. So far, I just love my car! It is a pleasure to drive it. You wouldn't appreciate the real pleasure of driving this car unless you drive a rental car for maybe couple of weeks and come back to it. Maintenance - After the factory warranty had expired in 2010, I had two major expenses out of pocket - 1) Replaced the front and rear break pads in 2011 ~ $500 2) Replaced the battery for the first time in 2014 ~ $300. Other than those two expenses, I just do the normal engine oil service, break fluid flush, etc. The only concern I have at the moment is about the mileage, I only get ~18 Miles/Ga at the moment maybe due to my city commute to work."

I love this car PERIOD.

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Power, handling, options"

Cons: "Maybe just the window switch placement."

"I have had this car for 3 years and still can't wait to drive it everyday. I don't have a single complaint. I have an 2000 BMW 328ci (I just couldn't say goodbye) and a 2012 Camaro SS. The Camaro may have a bit more power but this beast does what all BMW claim to give the ultimate driving experience. The Camaro is nice to drive sure but I still can't get over how a sedan with a six cylinder handles and puts out enough power to plant you in your seat and the best part is my wife doesn't have to hold on for dear life as she doesn't realize I just got off a 180 degree exit ramp doing 80, haha. Just a great car all around. No problems to date except a window regulator which I fixed with a replacement part for $18."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 3 Series near Honolulu. See local deals