2004 BMW 3 Series

Based on 1400 Ratings for the 2000 - 2005 models.

Finicky, Worth every penny.

By on Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pros: "It is a convertible BMW."

Cons: "Maintenance is pricey."

The day I bought my Baby!

"She can be a bit fussy, maintenance is key! Be prepared to spend more than you will with a Honda, but then again this is no rice burner. Fit and finish is top of the line, quality is found at every turn. You don't buy this car because it is an economical grocery mover or "Mom Mobile". You buy this car because it is a joy to drive, has power on tap, and at the end of a hard day is therapeutic to drop the top!"

The day I bought my Baby!

3 Series E46 still the best model

By on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pros: "Athletic, balanced, attractive, smooth, and fun"

Cons: "Small trunk and rear seat, limited storage space."

"This body style came to America for the 1999 model year and stayed in production until 2005 in sedan form. Many consider this the best 3 series as newer models have become more luxurious, burdened with needless tech and saddled with electronic steering....and now a 4 cylinder! the 2.5 liter inline 6 has always been one of the top rated engines by car experts. The sound of it at full throttle is music to the ears. While not super powerful or torquey it still moves the car with authority while getting 30 mpg highway. Not a bad trade off at all. Nothing drives like a 3 series and I have owned a LOT of cars in my day. The near 50/50 weight distribution, responsive chassis and connected steering are very hard to find and the only cars I have driven that come close are the Cadillac CTS and the Infinity G series. The car had great visibility and rides very well for its size. It cruises nicely at 80 and the seats are comfortable for long drives. If I were to change anything it would be back seat and trunk space. Both of which are very limited. The folding seat was an option on this model and it is one that should have been standard.....never sure why that was the case. So, it is small if you carry passengers a lot and the trunk is also smaller than most cars in this class. If you can live with that there isn't much I would change except for maybe more in cabin storage space. These cars can now be purchase in the 5-10k range and are worth every cent. I have owned 4 E46 BMWs and they just impossible to top if you love driving. Issues to be on the lookout for that go bad on EVERY one of these cars. The secondary air system that you will hear and will run for a few minutes when you first start the car. This always seems to go bad at some point. WINDOW REGULATORS are probably the number one "go bad" thing and only last about 6 years I am told. They are about 350-550 depending on dealer vs speciality shop (labor). There was a fault with the radiators as well so have that looked at. BMW said the auto transmissions were "sealed" but then rescinded that and they should now be flushed so don't let someone tell you that they don't need it, they do. When you get the tranny flushed it has to be done twice in a row to get all of the fluid out and there is a special tool to pump the fluid out that only BMW has so beware of places like Jiffy Lube or Midas, they won't do it properly. Above all else, buy one owned by an enthusiast and make sure the car was kept up service-wise or else they can get expensive to repair. Enjoy, there is no car quite like it!"

fast fun car to drive

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pros: "price, gas, fast and fun to drive"

Cons: "few cup holders"

"i love the way that these cars drive! i have the sedan and the coupe! they both drive exactly the same! they are fast with plenty of sport! i love them!"

Best Driver I have ever owned.

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "0-60 6 seconds and average about 28-30mpg"

Cons: "Do not buy Bmw Automatic"

"What a great car. I have owned 40 vehicles so far and this is the best driver I have ever owned. I am also and Ex Mechanic and I have been selling cars for 17 years. I purchased the vehicle as second owner with 63,000 miles. The Bmw now has 163,000 miles. I have done very little repair work. Most of the work that I have done was regular maitence. I buy most of my parts on eBay because its a lot chepaer than the dealer and I can get dealer parts @ cost. I will tell you not to buy a Automatic they do have trans problems."

What a great car!

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"My car with 90K miles is still an absolute blast to drive. If you find a good non-dealer mechanic, this car will last for ever! If I get fewer than 200,000 miles I'll be disappointed. Would have given 5 stars for quality, but some of the minor, non-mechanical things that go wrong can be annoying."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 3 Series near Honolulu. See local deals