2000 BMW 3 Series

Based on 1381 Ratings for the 2000 - 2005 models.

Great car, maintenance a little high

By on Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pros: "performance, handling, comfort"

Cons: "high cost of maintenance and repair"

"My 2003 325Xi was a one owner car with 94k miles on the clock when I bought it. It was well maintained with a clean Carfax. Fifteen months and 20k miles later I would say I am pleased with the car, but not overjoyed. Handling and braking are great. Ride comfort is very good even on long trips and it seats four adults comfortably. There is plenty of trunk space for a small car, and I get about 27mpg on the highway. Combined driving is in the low to mid 20's. I would like to upgrade to the Harmon-Kardon sound system but the base model sounds very good; I think most people would be just fine with it. Now for the down sides. Shortly after purchasing the car I experienced various minor electrical problems which, after a couple mis-diagnoses lead to replacing the general module (main electrical control for lights, central locking system, alarm, etc.) - about $600 bucks installed. I had to replace the rear brake/reverse light assembly - about $50. Torn inner CV boot on the front axle; to get to this you have to take the front suspension apart. Good luck doing that without damaging the boots on the ball joints - $650 worth of suspension parts. Just replaced the starter - $700 installed. This is not to mention the upcoming coolant system maintenance, filter changes, shocks, etc. Oil changes are 8 quarts of synthetic - no $25 Quicklube special. The other major gripe (and this is not the car's fault) is the resale value. I paid retail from a local dealer, ie. I didn't get a great deal, but I didn't get screwed either. I have a 30 month note and I am still upside down in the car. It just hasn't held its value like the Volvo it replaced. It's a better car than the old S70, but KBB doesn't seem to agree. So the verdict..... I like the car. A LOT. Its comfortable, practical and fun to drive. If it wasn't for the expensive and frequent maintenance I would have rated it higher. I would recommend the car to anyone who would appreciate the BMW driving experience with one caveat. You can buy one in good condition for a pretty reasonable price, but do your homework and make sure that you can afford to maintain it like it should be. Sorry about the lengthy review - hope it helps someone."

Repairs $$$

By on Thursday, January 31, 2008

"Bought this car in 2003 with 28,000 miles. Beautiful car, in the winter has 4 blizzak tires and with the DSC it will go through ANYTHING! Warranty ran out in 2004 and since then I have put $7500 in repairs into this car and only has very easy 66,000 miles. Lets see what went wrong, broken A/C, right front axle,window lifts,broken coil spring,broken shock mounts, and just head the head gasket seal replaced at 66,000...oh and that red air bag light is still on and it needs front control arms and they my front differential needs attention. So to even sell this thing I have to put another $5000 into it. But it's weird..somehow I absolutely love this car. It is the nicest most thought out car I have ever owned, but I have to sell it, can't afford the repairs. What the kicker was the guy in the shop said that you can average $2200 in repair bills on a BMW, well I can confirm that! Hello Toyota."

Like really expensive therapy

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "fun, comfortable, plenty of tech"

Cons: "very unreliable and very expensive to maintain"

"I bought my 2002 330i with 94,000 miles on it 3 years ago. As you can tell, I don't drive that much. Despite that, I've been really disappointed with this car. It's not that the BMW didn't meet my expectations about what it would be, but that it broke all if mine about what it wouldn't be. In the 3 years I've owned it, I've had to spend more than $3,000 in parts alone (done all the work myself as I am a technician by trade) just to keep the thing running, replacing major components such as hub bearings, fuel pump, blower resistor pack, control arm bushings, engine mounts, strut and shock mounts, windshield moldings, A/B/C pillar trims and headliner, coil packs, many gaskets and seals, power steering and cooling hoses...and more. So why is this car still good? Because of the driving experience; it's fun, fast, handles amazingly well (provided you have the right tires on it), but gets reasonable fuel economy (on premium) and is still quite comfortable while providing plenty of luxury and technology to keep one happy. It's like going to a really expensive therapist: You step in feeling the weight of your world on your shoulders, but step out feeling relieved and ready to face your problems head on, then you wonder why the heck it cost you so much money to maintain that therapist? Is the fun this car provides worth the money it costs to maintain? Absolutely not."

Fun to drive, but high maintenance

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "Smooth, quiet comfortable ride that handles well."

Cons: "High frequency/cost of maintenance-money pit"

"I purchased a 325xi as a 6 year used car. It is so much fun to drive with roomier interior than what you would expect by its size. It handles well, hugs the road, sensitive braking. Overall, a very smooth comfortable ride. Before purchasing, it was inspected by an excellent, reliable mechanic and passed. However, for as much as I love driving it, this car is a money pit. I do own other used cars which don't require maintenance with the same frequency and of course cost. That being said, I would still consider purchasing another BMW in the future. But, I would purchase it new (or at least less used) and while it is under warranty. Also, I would purchase a different model as I have read elsewhere from other 325 owners that they too have high maintenance costs. And that other BMW models have better mechanical reliability"

An awesome sedan for almost anyone to drive.

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, good gas mileage."

Cons: "Only one cup holder."

"I just bought this car, and I must say, I'm extremely impressed! The DSC prevents (or eliminates) slipping out in snow or rain, the engine runs fantastic (even with 216,000 miles on it), the interior is pretty spacious and comfortable, and the car gets pretty good gas mileage (and can really get up and go if you need it to). The only qualm I have is that the second cup holder is nearly useless for anything besides cans of soda. I highly recommend this vehicle to anybody. After driving this vehicle, I am officially now decided to be a BMW kind of guy."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 3 Series near Honolulu. See local deals