2013 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $38,142 - $39,902.

10/7.5

Based on 123 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

REALLY FUN 2 DRIVE

By on Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pros: "FUN IS CORRECT"

"EXCELLENT VEHICLE"

One of the 2 best cars I have owned in 40 years

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "Great fun to drive everyday"

"Truly awesome driver's automobile. Awesome performance on great fuel economy. Not a family car. It excels at what it was made for. NO problems in 32,000 miles."

Love this car

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Need another cup holder away from under armret"

"Sporty, handles well, looks great, great car"

This car is a beast, what every bmw should be

By on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pros: "Hydraulic steering like it should be!"

Cons: "Don't drive in snow!"

"Car in Valencia orange is a must,perfect dimensions,perfect steering, perfect suspension, only negative Is a/c is a little weak,even decent mpg"

Oh.. don't make them anymore so has lost value

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Cons: "Limited Edition has no value.."

"I bought this BMW thinking it would hold value and be a comfortable ride. Well, It has less value than I would have even imagined, unlike other BMW vehicles I have purchased. Very disappointed in BMW..."

Best Car I Ever Own

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "Outstanding performance...get compliments whenever"

Cons: "None ...don't get a chance to drive it enough"

"I bought this car in 10/12 and wasn't able to drive it right away....work and all...but after I was able to take it on a 2.5 hour drive. I was blown away.. .this is truly a Driver's Car...the car performs outstanding....put the top down and the exhaust sounds great. I would have given the car a 10 reliability but there was software update on the DCT which took a while to get iron out between BMW and the dealership. Once that was resolved the car performed even better. This car is a KEEPER for me."

Fantastic little car!

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Decent gas mileage. Very reliable."

Cons: "Very tight interior."

"My 2009 135i is the 4th BMW I've owned and it's the best one yet! As expected, it's fast, agile, and just plain fun to drive! My baby has been dead-on reliable, although I do maintain it very well. Lots of "in-between" oil changes and fluid flushes, etc. The BMW factory service intervals are just ridiculous. I'm going to keep this car for quite a few more years."

Best vehicle i've ever owned

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

"Great car... buy one."

Love auto. Brake dust major problem.

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

"Tired of trying to keep wheels clean. Will not buy again"

Powerful engine. Style stands out from other cars

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "Great acceleration"

Cons: "Interior dashboard is plastic makes a lot of noise"

"Car has a very powerful engine. The driving dynamics are outstanding, which makes it very agile in tight turns. The interior is very elegant, but the downside to it is that the dashboard is 80% plastic so cracks and makes noise a lot. Other than that the car is great and fun to drive."

A True Sports Car in a Coupe Body Style

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Sporty"

Cons: "Hard ride"

"Outstanding manumatic combined with a throaty powerful engine and responsive steering and roadholding makes this more of a true sports car. Lots of fun and very fast, so much so you've really got to be careful or it could run away on you. Rides a little hard on the run flats, but if you value driving over pure comfort this car is a great value especially compared to the newer model which only offers a 4 cylinder turbo as the entry level engine which also sounds more like a Corolla than a throaty sports car. The six cylinder drivetrain combined with the manumatic is outstanding. What a pity they gave that up!"

Best car I have ever owned.Great power,great mpg.

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, rides great, no problems"

"It's like owning your own race car. I love it."

Best car I have ever driven, so far.

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Discreet, small, super quick."

Cons: "Funny looking from front. Small rear seat."

2011 Titanium Silver 135i

"I am writing this review because I am about to trade it in for an M3. I think I miss it already. The acceleration and balance are outstanding. I drive this car 12 months a year in Minnesota in all weathers and I have never had issues. You do need snow tires in winter in snowy climes. I have driven 3 and 5 series and they just feel loose and sloppy. The 135i is the tightest feeling car you can drive. I would recommend it to anyone who loves a discreet, non "look at me" type of vehicle that can chew and spit out any fat muscle car. Still can't believe I am going to lose her."

2011 Titanium Silver 135i

It's a fun car to drive, and it's a BMW.

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "poor reliability costs both time and money"

"I have a cashmere silver 128i convertible which I enjoyed a lot during sunny days in California. It's very sleek especially with top down however the car feels a bit plastic from inside. The car suffers from time to time various sensor/controller problems. First it's some minor issue and then, just right after the warranty expired, bigger problems started to show up. I always admire the superior quality of German engine and transmission, but the electronics for the entry level car seems to be less reliable and reverse the overall reliability. The overall cost to own this car for more than 5 years could be much higher than expected."

A pretty good car if you understand its purpose

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

"Forget all of the opinions of BMW - expensive, (repairs), etc. this is a sweet dynamic driving package that, if maintained (a word probably 90% of owners dont understand), will give you a long amount of driving pleasure. I have the base of the base BMW line: 128i, manual trnasmission, no options except sunroof. Yet it is a pleasure to drive (not text, not phone, etc). If you are one of the minority of people who actually enjoy driving, seriously consider this car. I get 30mpg on the highway, have fun on the twisties, etc. No mechanical/repair issues whatsoever. But i maintain the car myself, change the oil at half the BMW recommended interval, chnge the "lifetime" fluids every 30K, etc. If you want to "own"" and "drive" a car, consider this one. The reliability of a Toyota/Honda but with BMW dynamics. This is a sporty coupe that will not win every stoplight war, not keep up with the Porsches in the curves. But a RWD NA six cylinder with good dynamics for $10K? Try and find another like it."

My fav car ever

By on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pros: "The fun factor"

Cons: "To some the fact I get around 25 mpg avg."

"This car is so fun to go out for a drive in. I had gotten to the point I hated driving, but this car changed that. I am having to much fun in it for the stupid drivers to even bother me. It is not going to blow the doors off a full fledged sports car. It will give you that sports cars fun with the comfort of BMW. I plan on owning this cars for many more years!"

Really? The car needs maintenance again?

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pros: "Handles well"

Cons: "Service requests"

"This car needs more maintenance that a high school girl with a crush. Every time I open my email I another email from the dealership telling me the car needs to come in for service. While they explain to me it's routine, they don't have any respect for my time, and it's a royal pain. The dealership sells me, "don't you want your car to be well maintained, it's a free service." Having had over forty vehicles before this one, I'm not accustomed to weekly visits to the dealership. The dealership (Chapman) BMW sold me a 'certified' used BMW, claiming the car had been gone over from the top of the antenna, to the bottom of the tires, from the front bumper to the rear. Well, one alternator, one oil leak, and three days of lost service in the first four months, has taught me I'll never own another BMW. My time is far more valuable and their respect for my time isn't important enough for this headache."

less than I expected

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Pros: "great engine, ride, handling"

Cons: "lacking in the quality of the vehicle"

"Purchased my 2009 128i new with the premium package and Navigation in December 2010. Traded a 6 year old Audi TT that was starting to give problems. The 128i has excellent power, a super smooth inline 6 and has a nice balance of ride/handling. Reliability has not been great. There have been 6 trips to the dealer for power window problems, 2 trips for the third brake light lens falling off, 2 trips for the power steering gear puking fluid all over the garage and finally the leather seat stitching on the rear seats has failed even though no one has ever sat on them. All this on a car with just over 25,000 miles that is garage kept and well maintained. I love the way it drives, but just not happy with the repairs, my warranty runs out in December and I will probably be trading this Bimmer in and it will probably be for a 2014 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6, not another BMW."

Great Drivers Car

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Powerful, sporty, handles great"

Cons: "Expensive, minor problems"

"I originally purchased the 135i back when I lived in Chicago. At the time, we were just entering winter and I had never driven a RWD car in snow before. As far as winter is concerned, this car should be kept as far away from snow as possible. I actually had to miss a few days of work due to not being able to get out of my neighborhood from the lack of traction. In any weather besides snow and ice, this car absolutely shines. I had made the decision to move to Southern California in the fall of 2012 and being as such, I would drive my 135i all the way from Chicago to San Diego. That is a 2200 mile trip for those wondering. Through the duration of that trip, the car did not have a single hiccup or problem. It cruises perfectly, it handles elevation changes like a dream and it surprisingly has plenty of room to fit tons of belongings by using the folding rear seats. My only qualms with this car are the remote keys do not have an internal battery and thus need to be charged in order to work. The problem with that is the keys sometimes barely charge or do not charge at all, so you may find yourself using the actual key more frequently than you use the remote entry keys. Then of course, there is the fuel economy. While it does get relatively decent fuel economy (21.5mpg overall), I wished it got just a bit higher mileage for the sake of my wallet. Something in the 26 to 27mpg area seems feasible to me. Now granted, you can achieve those numbers or higher ones, but you are not going to enjoy the car for what it is, which brings me to my final point. This car is a true sports car. The gear changes, both upshifts and downshifts, are precise. The engine builds power from way down low in the RPMs all the way to redline. And, of course, the handling is absolutely extraordinary. Since the car is so small and light, while still producing plenty of power, you would be surprised by the different types of higher horsepower cars it can keep up with. Overall, the BMW 135i is an amazing little sports car which I would absolutely recommend to anyone looking for something sporty and small."

love my 128i

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "extended warranty a bargin, fun drive"

Cons: "cruise control in out of view and hard to engage"

"This is my first BMW 128i...bought it sight unseen from the dealer - no test drive - went on my instincts....proved I was not wrong. I have the Premium package, which serves me perfectly fine. I would encourage anyone looking for a fun _relaxing driving experience to purchase or lease this car.....you will not be sorry."

The Best BMW I've Owned

By on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pros: "Handles like a go-kart on Steriods"

Cons: "Audio should have more than 6 speakers"

"This is #4 BMW 86-325e, 92 525it, 95 525i and then this one. Surprising amount of legroom for my 6ft4 frame and long legs. Sport Seats are great, Sport Suspension is tight, but expected that and love that it handles like a go kart on steriods, I would have been in trouble with the turbo model. You can get some serious power off the line using the paddle shifters. Is also an awsome cruiser at 80mph and above. Base Audio system could be better, however still sounds much better than most, but find that it does best with iPod or CD plugged in. Only complaint is that the paint peeled on the passenger door. BMW sent to thier paint shop, completed the repair under warranty and I really do not notice where it was repaired. Don't be afraid to replace the run flat tires with something a little softer that isn't run flat. Worst case scenario is that you get a flat and have to be towed, which is still cheaper than $1300 for a set of tires."

Fun & fast

By on Sunday, June 09, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage on the hwy"

Cons: "A little tight for long legs"

"with top down, plenty of room for luggae or groceries. Great maneuverability"

Absolutely love this car

By on Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive. Still looks great after four years"

Cons: "Mileage. Expensive repairs"

"Owned since new and this has been a fantastic car. Great looks and really a joy to drive. Coming to the end of the 4 year warranty and considering purchasing the 2 year extension."

Incredible all around car for 2 or less!

By on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Pros: "Acceleration, BRAKING, handling, refinement"

Cons: "Passenger cup holder, costly tires, rear leg room"

"Cannot ask for a better vehicle given performance comfort and balance given the cost. Would recommend changing from the Bridgestone potenza run-flats as soon as possible. Pirelli makes a run flat that lasts much longer. Would certainly recommend."

So underrated, such a solid car!

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Pros: "Handles extremely well, fast, great sound system"

Cons: "Stiff suspension"

"Typically high, solid BMW quality. Full covered maintenance for the first 4 years, but only had one repair issue, a broken trunk tail light, covered by warranty. No other mechanical problems. Replaced the run-flats with low profile 19". A stiff suspension can be trying at times in city driving is my only quasi-complaint. 32 MPG on highway if you drive at legal speeds (which is difficult with this car), exceptional cornering and acceleration, back seat good for adolescents or 15 minute trip with adults. Trunk holds two sets of golf clubs. I'm surprised I don't see more on the road."