2002 Audi TT

Based on 201 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Good performance commuter

By on Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"2001 TT Quattro: Great performance and handling for a turbo 4 cyl. No maintenance issues with 110K on the car. I commute 65 miles each way daily and get 30+ mpg. Better milage than a honda with german performance and styling. A head turner that costs significantly less than most people think. Co-workers think it's a 40K+ car. ride can be a little harsh on poor roads. Overall, I thoroughly enjoy the car and would recommend it. Nimble on it's feet and fun whether on a winding road or traffic. Just a few complaints: cup holders are in a poor location-behind the hand brake, so they're extremely inconvenient to use. Quattro and ESP are over-rated! If you plan on driving this car in the snow belt get some good all-season or snow tires. ESP will give you an ulcer without them. If I get more than an inch of snow, I park the TT and drive my 20 year old range rover at 12MPG because of it. Disappointed with paint- No accidents or repainting of body, yet I have clear coat failure and flaking off through roof and hatch. looks terrible close-up but you can't tell at a distance. I expected better paint quality from an Audi. From what I've heard this is very uncommon."

I love my TT

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"I've owned my 2000 TT quattro for over 8 years and 115,000 miles so far. Even to this day, it still turns heads. It's been a pleasure to drive although the ride is a bit rough and the shocks wore out rather quickly. I would seriously love to keep this car forever but it's getting old and falling apart and there isn't any like it out there anymore (I don't like the look of the new TTs). My biggest complaint would be the expense and poor quality of Audi's parts. I've had to replace: the steering rack, water pump, two different ABS sensors, and the ECU."

TT -

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I've had an 2001 TT for a year now and I would recommend if you buy an 01-03 model have the timing belt checked/changed ASAP. Mine went out a few months after purchasing it and it will cause catastrophic engine failure resulting in a large repair bill, mine was 7K. Audi currently does not have a recall on this but it is a faulty timing belt issue so they will pick up a large portion of the cost if it goes out. There have also been some electrical issues but all in all it has been a great car to drive. I have had a hard time finding anyone but the dealer to work on my car, it is probably best to take it to the dealer to keep the warranties valid."

Beware Repair Costs

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun in summer. Fast with great fuel economy."

Cons: "Expensive Repair costs! Lots of repairs needed."

"I was very excited when I first purchase this car. The 225 hp 4 cylinder engine delivered the power and fuel economy I was looking for, and the AWD with ESP and convertible top gave me the handling and style you would expect from a small class sports car. I purchased this vehicle in October 2010 with 62,000 miles. Within a month of owning the vehicle, the 4 way flasher switch burned out, eliminating my turn signals ($180). In the next 6 months, my washer fluid holding tank sprung a leak (it would cost $150 to replace), and the remote receiver went out for unlocking the doors remotely ($800). About 9 months into ownership the fuel pumps (that's right, there's 2) failed ($1700). In November of 2011 I crossed 100,000 miles so the timing belt had to be replaced ($1200). I also had a check engine light on which turned out to be a temp sensor ($325). It is now January of 2012. We got our first major snowfall of the year. On the way to work this morning, the ESP (electronic stability protection) went out, incapacitating the handling. I don't even want to know what that will cost. This car has been wonderful mechanically, but a disaster electronically. If you plan to buy this car, even the new ones, be CAREFUL! After this experience I will never buy an Audi again. P.S. All prices listed were at a qualified Audi Dealership. I had a tire changed once and another small item looked at on the car by local repair shops. Both times items were broken in my car afterward."

Best Driving Car so Far

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive-"

Cons: "Careful of repair costs"

"I bought this car used. It was Was carefully maintained with complete records. Make sure instrument panel was replaced- also replace timing chain water pump and tensionier. These tend to break due to plastic components. Amazing drive-love the AWD 225hp power. Great fit and finish-timeless looks. Fast, excellent Audi handling!"

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2008

"I am on my 2nd TT. The first was a 2001 180 roadster which I leased for 4 years. After the lease expired, I had to get another one. The 2nd was a 2001 225 quatro roadster which I bought with low miles and in excellant condition. Both cars were pear black. *** Plus's *** 1. Style. You will be noticed! I have been stopped frequently by people wanting to look at the car. The seats are the baseball glove style which also turns heads. The materials used (brushed aluminum and padded surfaces) add to its impressive looks. And those aluminium roll bars really stand out. 2. Performance. Accelaration with the 225 is awesome. Have no problems passing on a two lane country road. 3. Handling. I swear I can make a 90 degree turn at 55 mph. This car is very responsive. 4. Comfort. The inside of the doors are recessed which allows for more shoulder room as compared to most other cars in this class. A big plus. Also the inside of the car sits lower which prevents alot of outside air from entering the drivers compartment. 5. Features. The trunk is large enough to place suitcases in for traveling. This is usually one drawback of most sport cars. The glass rear window is outstanding. With this up NO air recirculates into the car on cold days. I can drive with the top down at 50 degrees with the heated seats on and not feel cold at all. Large glove box and numerous storage areas (nets in doors, locking storage behind passenger seat and rear storage comparment beneath rear window). ------------------------------------------------------------------ *** Cons *** The only two items I can think of is comfort over the long haul. However, I have taken the car on several long trips (over 500 miles) and not felt bad afterwards. The second is the placement of the cup holders. Hard to reach while driving."

A wonderful limited production automobile!

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Rides like on rails, accelerates like a scared cat"

Cons: "Difficult rear view, cup holder inconvenient place"

"The Grey Ghost"

"This car is fun to drive and quite comfortable to ride in. Parts can be difficult and dealers do charge a small fortune to work on it. I find it very reliable, well designed and thought out. Lateral rear views are difficult to get accurately, a function of the tear drop shape! Mileage is reasonable, about 25 mpg about town, about 21 is driven hard. Only likes 93 octane and synthetic oil but goes 10,000 miles between oil changes. Only "very expensive" item is the timing belt which I changed at 93,000 miles (manual says 65,000). I have owned car for 12 months and it is a dream to drive no matter what road conditions. I rotate tires seasonally (4 months with snow and mud and 8 months with summer tread) Mine is Nimbus Grey with a Blue leather interior and with minimal care the leather is holding uo very well, the Bose sound system is superb (6 CD changer). I do not use the integrated phone and the Navigational system is not functional at this point (very old school and my cell phone does a nice job filling in! I am very !!!!!!!!! happy with this car and will do all I can to keep it sweet! It is the best car and the most fun I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few at 67. I am especially pleased with the gearing ratio that allowsw me to cruise in 4th or 5th gear at 40mph with no lugging!"

"The Grey Ghost"

Get the extended warranty!

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Car has been in and out of the shop since purchased 3 months ago for multiple things. wiring in headlight, thermastat, leak in back window, control module."

Very cool and fun to drive

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, good mileage, very big "cool" factor"

Cons: "Costly to repair"

"I have loved this car. Great fun to drive. The trunk is far bigger than one would think. When the top is up it feels a little confining and there is a huge blind spot. When the top is down it is great. The car is expensive to repair and now that I have 70,000 miles, it starting to cost me. I commute in this car and I get 22 MPG in town and I can get 30 MPG on the highway. Its very comfortable for daily drive and on trips."

Not for a working person

By on Thursday, October 09, 2008

"I have had this vehicle for 3 years, and have had to put over $7000 dollars in repairs and maintainance. If you actually work for a living (which I do) this vehicle is not for you. I have had multiple electrical problems, and everything that needs to be fixed is hundreds of dollars."

Love my 225BHP Audi go-cart

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "Fun, sporty, incredible value for money"

Cons: "Cup holder is in worst position, cramped engine= $"

"I bought my 2000 TT Quattro (immaculate bottle green manual transmission) last Christmas for $7K as previous owners had to leave the country. I was fretting a little since reading some of the reviews - a lot pointed to expensive and frequent repairs for this car. I decided to go for it since i always liked these cars. For reference I owned an Audi A7 before this (long story - had to sell to buy a house) - the A7 was worth 10 times this car. Its my daily driver (I drive over 80 miles per day). This car is absolutely awesome - the interior has held up great for 13 years old, only a minor tear in drivers seat leather. As a bonus (and the previous owner didn't even know) it was chipped (MTM) and forge stealth exhaust so its 271 BHP as opposed to stock 225. This combined with the quattro, sports suspension and tight steering means its like driving a really powerful go-cart that sticks to the road. The turbo/torque is unbelievable and really the quality of the car overall is great. Issues so far: water pump was leaking coolant so had to have pump, tensioners, timing belt and thermostat replaced, which cost around $1200. Instrument cluster not working 100% - fuel gauge off kilter and some lines on the display. Do i expect more things to go wrong? Yes - but i don't care since it was such a bargain to begin with and i love driving it so much (dare i say more so than the A7). If you are on the fence about getting one - don't be: if its in good condition (go to a mechanic and get it checked out), if its been looked after and serviced when it should have been - including timing belt, water pump etc. - then you will not regret it. This car looks like a $40K sports car today and probably performs better than most on the road..."

Little Speedy AWD Drop Top!!

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, beautiful to at,ultimate head turner"

Cons: "could be a little bit more reliable"

MY BABY

"I've always wanted this car! Found the perfect one with low milage from an older guy. I love driving it!! Top down on a nice night is probably the best feeling. My girlfriend hates how I drive it but it's got too much power not to push it a little. I also put about a thousand into the car to bring it up another 100hp. I'm not going to say its the most reliable car but for the price they are now...IT'S WORTH IT. The sound system is crisp and clean even with the top down and the wind blowing. I have a baby on the way so i may have to sell it for a big boy car but I will cry when I see it drive away for the last time."

MY BABY

Great cruiser, if you keep up with maintenance

By on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"I've owned my 2002 TT Quattro roadster for 4 years. Fit and finish are among the strong points on this vehicle. Handling is fantastic - I can take a corner at speeds that most can't. As for winter driving, if you have the Quattro, this handles beautifully - and with Colorado winters, that's saying quite a bit. Fuel efficiency is surpsingly good for a luxury sports vehicle. I average 27 MPG divided between city and highway driving. Superficial highlights: Sound system is excellent - 9 speaker Bose system in premium 225 HP, 6-speed package. If you do a roadster - avoid the black leather - your backside will be grateful (it gets quite warm). Top is mechanical and moves up and down quickly. Must check oil at each fill-up, engine drinks this stuff - issue unique to the engine (see any Audi forum about this). A little bit of turbo lag when you gun it. It is vital to keep up with the scheduled maintenance, or you will run into minor issues that can nickel and dime you. Parts and maintenance are not cheap, even outside the dealer - so be warned if you are looking at an Audi in general. PROS: - Excellent handling - Six-speed tranny is quick and fun to drive - Great mileage for an AWD sports convertible - Fit and finish are A+ - Great online resources - Excellent sound system - Quick drop-top action - Comfortable on long drives - Body integrity is awesome - no creaks or squeeks even in a car that is almost 9 years old CONS: - Parts and maintenance are expensive (and many parts "disposable" when they shouldn't be, like the oil pan plug) - Turbo lag when full-throttle - Black leather in a convertible (what was I thinking?) - Instrument cluster issues (my gas gauge is always wrong, so I rely on onboard computer) - Drinks oil as an appetizer (but not excessively so, just be aware)"

Think twice before buying this one.

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"Over time my initial exuberance has evaporated into disgust. I've never owned an automobile that was a constant aggravation. At 55,500 miles I'm on my third water pump, had persistent coolant leakage problems, emission difficulty, vacuum leaks, the alternator went bad and took a battery out with it, the check engine light has repeatedly sent me to repair over the last three years. I've been flat-bedded to mechanics twice. Mirror control has broken, control for heated seat pushed into the dashboard, the dome light arbitrarily refuses to shut off, turn signal unit took a dump and the dipstick broke. In short, I've had it with Audii and this 2001 TT coupe in particular."

Am I asking too much?

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"A great, quick, flashy, well-handling sports car. I was just disappointed in the poor visibility (I never got used to the little windows/poor lines of vision); the "back seat" was pretty useless for anything; the cup holders were ridiculously located; and the number of repairs I've had that happened "post free service plan" even though I complained about a number of them before it expired. BTW, be very afraid if the latch on your glove compartment breaks (and they do). It is over $1,000 to fix because you "have to replace the entire glovebox module." 'Nuff said. I am buying an 2008 Infiniti G37."

Timeless

By on Sunday, July 13, 2008

"I own a 2002 Audi TT ALMS and have far more praise than criticism for it. There are so few car designs that will look as good ten years from now as they do today (with this is by far being one of the most endearing). With a few basic mods and intelligent dirving habits, I am achieving 33 mpg hwy and 27 mpg city. My TT was also bitten by the gauge cluster bug, but Audi finally recalled this and replaced it at no cost. Proper maintenance is key. Use synthetic oil only and replace the timing belt at 60k (IMPORTANT!). The six speed is an absolute pleasure to work through it's paces, while the car as a whole has all the bells and whistles you would expect from Audi without being obnoxious. Definitely worth the price of admission."

By on Saturday, October 06, 2007

"Very good looking car; it's a 9 year old design and everyone still thinks it's brand new! Very good quality interior with plenty of space for 2, but obviously it is low and a little harder to get into. Back seat can't hold people (not supposed to anyway) only groceries etc. and the trunk is fairly small (can fit 1 tire but not 2), but I guess one would expect that from a compact sports car like this. Quattro all wheel drive out performs any 4x4 on the market, and 1.8 turbo engine is very fast for it's size and gets awesome mileage for how quick it is. I love every single thing about this car, but after 3 years of using it as my daily driver I'm trading it because it's too small and not practical enough. I would recommend having a second, larger vehicle with you buy the Audi TT."

Timeless

By on Saturday, September 15, 2007

"The car is breathtaking. I just bought a used one and it has been nothing short of exhilirating. When the turbo kicks in (at least in mine which is the 225, not the 180) it really gets torquey, much more than I originally expected. However, at about 80k miles and/or 6 years old, the car needs to do a timing belt/tensioner/water pump service which will cost about $2000. This car is also known to have engine temp and gas guage failure, so that will be a few hundred bucks. Other than that, it is an amazing car. It came out in 1999, but does not look aged at all; the design is simply timeless and always looks clean, sharp, and head-turning. I love this car so much!! It's small, but that is largely due to the fact that I drove SUVs for as long as I can remember and I just wanted a stickshift sports car to play around (which, by the way, is the slickest 6-speed I have ever driven). LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!! If you can afford the maintenance (Pirelli tires, fully synthetic oil every 3k, preferably 93 octane gas where available), then definitely do it, you will not regret!!"

My 2nd Audi TT Conv

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"If you want a quick and fun fun fun car to drive then pick the audi tt. The car is so classy looking... you can buy a used one and saved thousands... The interior is very modern. I have owned 2 now and I havent had any problems.. it gets good gas milage but it does require premium. Also if your looking to buy one please note that not all conv audis have power folding tops.... I like power folding top myself.. but just remember if you get the manual you;ll NEVER have to worry about it not working...lol . You can also shift the car yourself with either the shifter or on the steering wheel.... overall -awesome car and soo much fun to drive...and it holds it value (if you buy used) Cons- premium gas, no arm rest"

Go-cart on steroids !!

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

"I've owned mine for 6 1/2 yrs. I absolutely love this car. Fast and fuel efficient,zero body roll on corners,seats that fit and hold you like a glove,unbelievable sound system.Fits 2 sets of golf clubs [What!This is important],My only gripe is maintenence cost. Audi goes out of their way to make this car difficult to work on yourself. I am very mech savvy,that being said ,i spent several hours changing a headlight bulb.Manuals and forums consulted.Stuberness and pride would NEVER allow me to send it out for a low beam. I am not rich,being able to work on my own vehicle is very important to me. Other than that, would totally buy another when I save more pennies. LOVE THIS CAR !!"

i own this car and love it

By on Thursday, January 29, 2009

"This car is something else. Not many people have these types of cars but i'm sure that the ones who do have one are very satisfied. I never thought about having one for myself because i had my honda civic but when i drove that audi tt, i knew it had to be mine for the taking. The only thing i recommend is that if the owner lives in a place where it snows, please have all seasons front tires or the ASR will drive you insane. It is a small car and it will just spin on ice and snow so good tires are crucial. I just put new all season tires in the front and it made all the difference in the world. Also, this car will take you by surprise when you drive it FAST!!!"

best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "outstanding engineering & performance"

Cons: "if you are taller than 6 feet can be cramping"

"added a borla muffler which yielded outstanding midrange power & mpg increase to 33mpg hwy easy. hope to keep this car at least another 10 yrs. had it a year and a half now. all I've done is change oil twice. outstanding on slick surfaces. but when the snow is deep & rutty you better leave it in the garage. toooo low for snow over 3 inches. a little low for me as I get older but, I love it to much to let it go."

One of the BEST values for an amazing roadter

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Pros: "AMAZING Roadster"

Cons: "If you like to slide the AWD is not for you .."

"Don't even bother with the two wheel drive if your looking for one of these. The difference in price for the Quatro with AWD and 225 HP is well worth the difference, unless you're buying this for a teenager. I've had 3 convertibles I've loved ;Fiat 124 (in-spite of the repairs :), Mazda Miata ( which handles so well and with rear wheel drive a blast to drive) and this Audi TT Q 225. It's so much fun I find myself driving around, and taking the long way home all the time. Perfect comfortable seats, amazing acceleration, and at this price for a used roadster there isnt much competition. Find the right one, pay more for less mileage, check the top , and BUY IT !"

Awesome style and handles the road!

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "great style and fun to drive"

Cons: "maintenance costs and does not hold its value well"

"This is a fun to drive sports car with great interior and exterior styling. If I were to say anything negative about this car; it would have to be its maintenance cost and it really does not hold its value so well as I thought it should."

Great! but expensive repairs

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, looks great, great quality, sporty"

Cons: "expensive repairs/maintenance"

"I was given this car as a graduation gift, and I LOVED it for 7 years. It is fun to drive, looks great, and is great quality. I have the Bose sound system, and it has wonderful sound quality. It is small and the backseat won't fit a full grown person, but that's part of why I like it. It fits my petite-ness. My only complaint is now that it is getting older it has been difficult to fix. Things start needing replacement and tweaks, and because I live in an area where there is no Audi dealership and very few Audis in town, it is difficult to find people willing to work on it at all. When they do work on it, they require all the parts come from the dealership (150 miles away), so the prices are outrageous. I only wish I had the resources to fix things on my car so I could keep it forever! I love it so much and will be sad to sell it because I can't maintain it anymore."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Audi TT near Honolulu. See local deals