2008 Audi S4

9.3

Based on 77 Ratings for the 2005 - 2008 models.

9.7/10
Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Great car - but EXPENSIVE to maintain.

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Unique, satisfying driver with lux and performance"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain. Really."

"As others have said, this car is unique, and maybe even irrelevant; but in a wonderful way. One car stood out in my quest to have a V8, AWD, 6sp, sedan. This was it. Literally. Styling: Taut, fluid and low-key. No boy racer look here. I'm 40, I don't want to look like I'm struggling with that. My car has a performance exhaust on it, and most of the time, people are looking around for the hooligan with the growly noises. This car doesn't stick out. The low profile helps, because it's a pretty fast car and you don't necessarily want to attract too much attention. Interior: Audi is known for great interiors. This one is no exception. It was a little before the super-lux interiors of the 2010s, but it is well constructed, has held up well and has a great number of creature comforts. The Recaro seats are very adjustable and comfortable. Grippy but not confining, I sometimes go for a drive when my back hurts, just because they're that good. The steering wheel is less than ideal and feels cheap in an otherwise well-heeled package. Replacements/upgrades are available for a price. Handling: This is a highway barnstormer with reasonably quick in-town handling. The front end is heavy with that big lump up there, but the steering is progressive and you always know what the car is doing. I like the way it handles. Some find it plodding and slow, I find it reassuring and rock-solid. Ride is firm but not jarring, even on Michigan's notorious roads. Performance: For its time, this car was very fast. Now, it's merely satisfyingly quick. Passing on the highway is effortless and addictive. Set the speed alarm or you will be in trouble with the law. Of course, mileage is rotten and premium is required. This is one of the costs of doing business with this car. Buyer beware. I have a big brake kit on my example. Stopping is effortless and fade-free. I cannot speak to the stock setup, however. Engine: This is the best sounding engine this side of an AMG or perhaps even a flat-plane Ferrari. Born to rev with 5V per cylinder heads and a reasonably high compression ratio, this engine pulls well at all RPMs, though drivers of Detroit iron may yearn for lower end torque. The engine was pretty high tech for its time and there are some engineering compromises to make it fit in the small engine bay. Notably, the timing gear is at the back (firewall side) of the engine. There are some well noted problems with durability of the timing components and cars that have not been well-maintained are generally considered taboo. It is an "engine out" procedure to do the timing, with some owners paying up to $10K for the service. This is now a sub $20K car, so that's a bitter pill. Also, high silicon aluminum block, (trade name Alusil), is prone to cylinder wall scoring. As a result, many of these cars are oil burners. Mine with just over 100K miles burns 5 quarts between changes. This is synthetic oil, and so isn't cheap. Another cost of ownership for this car. All that worry goes away when you're driving it, though. If you buy a car because you want the most rational and reliable transportation, this is not your car. If you believe that getting there is half, or more than half, the fun, this could be a great motor for you. Tip: Buy the newest, best maintained, lowest mileage unit you can find. Shop, they're out there. Spend a couple hundred on a good inspection of the engine. You won't regret it later as not doing so may cost you thousands!"

Only AWD drop top true 6spd under 100k

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "V-8 AWD 6 spd Bose sound"

Cons: "poor mileage so so looks"

"The car is irreplaceable as Audi seems to have forgotten their roots and no longer offers a cab with a manual transmission. Mileage is poor, 14 MPG combined, but that might be a function of how I drive the car. It is hard to imagine a car that is more fun to drive. Even with the top up, the exhaust note is like music. Admittedly, it doesn't handle quite as well as my old 3 series cabs, but nothing handles like a 3 series."

Too good to describe

By on Sunday, May 25, 2014

"Had owned (4) Audi quattros prior to this 2007 S4. Cannot be happier. V8 growl and power. Excellent handling, braking and Audi's superior interiors. Cannot see a reason to get a new car now. I love my car. Dealer keeps prodding me to trade up. All of my previous Audi trades were purchased by dealer employees because they knew the care I had taken of them. They are NOT getting this one."

Ask this car to do anything, and it will.

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "All Wheel Drive means you can drive it anywhere!"

Cons: "Cup holders are under the arm rest."

"Fast. Smooth. Comfortable. Drop dead gorgeous looks. People still ask what kind of car it is and where can they buy one, even though this is an 8 year old car. Congrats to Audi for making this model sing with beauty...in perfect harmony to the sweet sounds of that incredible aluminum V8. Just nothing like it."

best vehicle for someone with a midlife crsis

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

"Definitely will get your adrenaline flowing!"

Great car

By on Saturday, June 16, 2012

Pros: "Blast to drive, awesome interior"

Cons: "You have to know its expensive to own, poor MPG."

"I have had my 2008 S4 for just over a year now and its been great. No issues with the car at all. I have put just over 10,000 miles on it these past 15 months and other than two oil changes, it hasnt seen service. I thoroughly enjoy driving it and am taking it to the track at Mid Ohio in a month. As a daily driver, it is fun as it is comfortable. I have the manual and love driving it but I also live in a small town so I dont have to sit in much traffic. Great car if you need four doors and yet want performance. Watch the back seat room if you are tall however as it is a two seater if the front seats are all the way back, or even close. As a VW Passat owner, this was a great car to move to for improved performance."

Bought a 2005 last year with 5000 miles on it.

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"Cab, Black, 6 Manual, Great stereo, Sat Radio. Beast of a vehicle. Dangerously fast, excellent cornering and road response, extremely stable at high speeds, Poor right rear visibility, avgerages 14-15mpg country driving 19-20 highway(but that's with a lot of pedal), tires take a lot of wear in country road driving, top goes down in 30 secs, acceleration from 65 to 95 is like most cars at 25 to 40. wipers are a little weak on the rain, highly recommend Rain-X for added visiblity. Very annoying get caught behind slow drivers... Not many other cars gives you: V8/6 Manual/AWD/CONVERTIBLE/ all in one package!!"

breathtakingly exciting yet perfectly practical

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"I had no problem or issues owning this car for 6 years. Always enjoyed it fully"

One Hot Car

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "She's everything you could ask for in a sports car"

Cons: "no room in the back seat, that's not always a con"

Makes ya feel special

"My '06 S4 Cabriolet is by far absolutely the best car I have ever owned. She is beautiful and responsive like a lady should be and yet she is powerful and sure footed like the purebred she obviously is. With her 340 HP V8 coupled to the superlative quattro AWD system she handles like a dream. The convertible top goes down in a breeze. With all the options and the Nav/Bose combination and leather seating she's like coming home on a beautiful day. I Love this car"

Makes ya feel special

5th and best Audi I have owned

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "AWD, brakes, handling, interior, ergonomics."

Cons: "MPG, but knew this."

"I have owned 5 Audis. (2) 90 series quattros, (2) A4s with V6s and finally this 2007 S4. What a GREAT car. The sleeper of all 4 door compact cars. With a 7000 redline wail that rivals a Nascar vehicle, this is stunning. The versatility with AWD and interior details unmatched by most production vehicles, this car is simply amazing. 340 HP, huge brakes, AWD, Recaro seats etc.... How can you beat this? So sad to see the new S4 go to a supercharged V6. The sound of the V8 is totally worth the price of admission."

FUN CAR!

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Pros: "QUICK, SMOOTH, CLASSY"

Cons: "GAS MILLAGE, BACK SEAT ROOM."

"IT HAS GOOD POWER. MY ONLY COMPLAINT IS THAT THE BACK SEAT ROOM HAS VERY LITTLE ROOM FOR TALL PEOPLE."

Refined but sporty

By on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pros: "Fast, refined, beautiful, easy to own"

Cons: "Firm ride, fairly costly to service at Audi dealer"

"Fit and finish are excellent. Power is amazing. I can't comment on winter driving as it's never seen snow. Would love to buy a newer one but don't think I could do without that V8 growl...new one is a turbo 6."

What a GREAT car!

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "quick, fast, unbelievable cornering."

Cons: "mileage not so great (but 340hp)"

"Granted it's the most expensive auto I have ever owned but this is a fun 4-door. Great power and with AWD it sticks to the road like no other car I have ever driven. But the worst cupholders in the world!"

Wonderful to drive gas guzzler

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "driving experience, handling, curb appeal"

Cons: "cost of ownership"

"I purchased a used 2005.5 S4 with all options (nav, cold weather, etc). I've been driving it for a year. First, I love driving this car! It is fast, sticks to the road like glue, and gives me an adrenaline rush just on my way to the grocery. Second, people compliment it all the time. However, after a year I'm considering trading it in for something with better mileage. I thought the 14/20 wouldn't bother me given that I drive very little. But even given that I only drive about 500 miles a month, that's 2 fill ups (approx 225 miles per tank in the city). Though this car has had few issues in the time I've owned it, I think the long-term cost of the gas and repairs make it a questionable value. If you are not budget-minded these issues may not bother you. Given that I purchased this car with 58K miles on it, I haven't been that impressed with the small issues such as the motor mounts cracked, center console lid broken, and rear floor lamp out (all of which I knew about when I purchased the car). I also had 2 costly repairs to the front right headlamp and a brake sensor had to be replaced. It does make me think, "why so many small things on a car with less than 60k miles?" I think this is a great car if you don't mind frequent fill ups and can deal with the higher maintenance costs. These cars cost about $50k new...for that price I would think Audi wouldn't have these small issues crop up in less than 6 years and 60K miles."

Classy looks and fun to drive. I love driving this

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "Handling, speed and good lucks. Quality ride"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage"

"Mine is a convertible which I bought in May of 2010. I flew into Atalanta test drove it and drove it back to Illinois that day. Probably the best long distance driving experience I've had. The car handles like a dream. Plenty of power and AWD. You can fly through curves. Very simple lines but a classy look. The fit and finish is what you would expect from an Audi. The power convertible top works flawlessly and relatively quick. The reason I picked this car was because I alway wanted a convertible but I have 3 small kids. So I needed a backseat that could accommodate them. Since I fly all over the US for work the only time I get to drive is on the weekends taking the kids to their soccer, football and basketball games. I had looked at Jaguar XKR's which have great horse power and a very nice look but the backseat is too small and the repairs are pretty pricey. The only downside that I have experienced with the Audi S4 is the poor fuel economy which didn't matter to me, the steering rack leaked fluid during the winter because the seal contracted due to the cold temps here and lastly I drive the car like I stole it so it eats tires. It is so much fun to drive I just can't help myself. I get lots of compliments on the looks of my S4 and the way the exhaust sounds. You would be hard pressed to find a more solid built convertible on the market. No rattles and with the top down going 80 mph you can actually talk with your passangers with out having to to yell. If you are looking for a well built car that handles with plenty of power this car is worth considering. Plus you don't see too many out on the streets."

It's hard to be good when driving a car so BAD!

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Looks great, fun to drive, able to leap tall build"

Cons: "can be costly to maintain..."

"" A weapon in the war against mediocrity" No other car have I driven has given me such a sense of supremacy.... (I have owned more than 70 different vehicles... From Alfas to Porsches... Pretty much everything a regular person could hope to own.)... than this one. It just does whatever you want it to do. "Just point and shoot" It does it all without even trying. It sheds off the feeble efforts of the lesser vehicles without even breaking a sweat! The icing on this tasty piece of cake.... It looks really great while doing it all!"

love it! buy it now!only neg is trunk space!

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "super fast and super fun!"

Cons: "trunk space is non existent!"

"love it! buy it now"

Owned this car for 7 years. Love it.

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pros: "value, fun to drive, looks, AWD"

"I have owned this car for 7 years and I can honestly say it may be the best all around car I have ever owned. It also may be the best value. Previously owned BMW M3 (fantastic car, completely useless in the snow), Audi TT, BMW 330, and a few others. Over the course of 7 years, I have had no problems with the car. It still drives fantastic, it is relatively fast, and it still looks relevant regarding styling. Only negative is the headlamp design. The design encorporated vents in the lights so they can keep cool. Problem is sometimes moisture stays on the lamp for an extended period of time. No ill effect on the light itself, but it doesn't look great when that occurs."

It is a fantastic machine. My second S4, luv it

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "fast, fun, handles great"

Cons: "a bit small but it's a convertible..."

"I had a 2004 S4 sedan. I then traded that in and bought a new SUV. Drove that for 2 weeks, hated it and bought the S4 Cab. It is a dream. Fast, powerful, all wheel...superb! LOve it."

Amazing Vehicle!

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "A joy to drive, comfortable, reliable, great value"

Cons: "Not great on gas, back seats can be a little small"

Imola Yellow S4 2005.5

"This car is absolutely amazing.. From it's comfort and technology to it's performance and reliability. I purchased this car as something fun to drive that would get me through Connecticut's bad winter storms. There was literally not one storm I did not make it through. The interior design is very neat and convenient. Comfort was totally the main focus in this design. For the Exterior is looks beyond it's time and is very easy on the eyes. Amazing car... The only downfall this car has is yearly costs could be little expensive. If money is an issue this car is not for you! It's roaring 8 cylinders can burn through gas quickly if you're not cautious of it. It's useful MPG feature is much needed on this car. Always need to see how many miles to the gallon you are getting. Also, this car's upkeep CAN get expensive for repairs, etc.. But it's a luxury sports car - so nothing you shouldn't expect. Car is amazing!!"

Imola Yellow S4 2005.5

My Favorite!!

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "Power/Drive/Quattro/Looks"

Cons: "MPG"

"Must have for a sports car lover who wants a daily driver they can drive both sane and fun!"

Great all around car

By on Friday, October 07, 2011

Pros: "value, performance, looks"

Cons: "small back seat"

"I have owned some fun cars, but this really is the best all around car for the money. Its beautifully designed, incredibly reliable, and fun to drive. Absolutely a wolf in sheep's clothes. I can't say enough positive things here. I am getting a new car this year and I am buying another s4."

Love this car!

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "Great to drive - tons of fun and great in the New England winters"

Cons: "Gas mileage isn't the best ... but worth it."

"My third S4 and it's the best to date. Solid, fast, sturdy and a blast to own and drive. No issues and never a problem. Keep looking at new cars but can't give this one up. Day in and day out a joy to own and drive whether using as a grocery getter or long haul vacation run."

60K and going strong

By on Friday, May 13, 2011

"The only negative thing I have to say about owning this car is the fuel economy, but really, I'm getting 19.3 mpg on my commute with a 350HP 4.2ltr V8, oh and quattro AWD. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. I change the oil every 8K (engine takes 9.5 quarts of oil) The car is built like a tank; its power and handling superb. I've never been stuck in the snow, and over the last two years here in NJ we got feet of it. The Audi S4 is the best car I've ever owned."

By on Saturday, February 26, 2011

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Audi S4 near Honolulu. See local deals