• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2001 Audi A8

Based on 71 Ratings for the 1997 - 2003 models.

Save your pennies

By on Monday, November 29, 2010

"I have a 99 A8 that is wonderful to look at and drive, however, bring your wallet. This car is expensive to repair, I just replaced the fuel pump for a cool $800 JUST THE PART. I also had a multifunctioning switch replaced -$500 JUST FOR THE PART! This is an automobile, folks not for the faint of heart. I love driving my vehicle and I get compliments constantly. Pick your poison...please remember this is not a HONDA..."

Outstanding Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"I have driven everything. Benz, BMW AND Jag. The Audi A8L is by far the finest piece on the road. It excels in all aspects of driving. Wet weather or snow, sure footed confidence. Great gas mileage for a vehicle this heavy. Mash the gas and the exhaust note becons you to do it again ! Overall style is conservative but this black beauty ALWAYS draws attention. Classy but understated. The way it looks speaks loud enough."

reliable luxury

By on Friday, February 15, 2008

"i purchased this car used about 2 years ago. i'm very pleased with it, it surpassed my expectations. all luxury features are on board as standard equipment, no need to search around. leather and interior in general is of high quality and seems to outlast other cars in this category. highway gas mileage not bad at all at 25mpg, but can go as low as 11mpg on short city commutes. very solid build quality, body is as rigid as on day one. the real advantage of the aluminum space frame just starts to come into play now, since there is obviously no corrosion whatsoever. other cars tend to start getting loose at this point, but not so this space frame construction. remember, this is not a unibody, but a car built around a frame, almost like a truck. normally, this would be bad in terms of weight, but not here. the a8 weighs actually less than the a6 with the same engine. talking engine; it likes frequent oil changes and wants its oil to be kept at the highmark of the dipstick or else you might hear the valves at startup. not a problem, just something to remember. AWD is superb, obviously winter tires also help, since braking is important as well in the winter. the suspension is rather soft, which is fine by me since i dont like to be informed of every pothole. acceleration is awesome, and so is the sound of the engine. if rear seat leg space is an issue, then get the L, otherwise the standard wheelbase is ok. ESP however was only standard on the L, this may be another reason to get the longer version. one tip: check the brakes before you buy, they are a bit weak sometimes. and around 100k miles, you MUST change the timing belt (and the water pump), so if appropriate, check if this was done - or plan on spending 1,500 to get it done yourself. another reassuring fact of course is that all audis until 02 (?) came with 4 years of free, scheduled maintainance. quite an incentive to keep your car in good condition, i would think. and thats all i can say. if it has been maintained, this is a good, solid car without any hidden surprises. go get one, if you can! on a personal not, i think the car has a real classic look, especially if one removes the model designation on the trunk, the tail end becomes almost a symbol of clean design, in my opinion. the a8 is a bit of a sleeper in the sense that most people don't bother looking at it at all, it's quite rare though and thus a bit of an exotic. or a car for the connoisseur, if you wish. and btw, i would also look into the Phaeton, if i would be shopping for this car again today. that big VW has an even more beautiful interior, however it is a lot heavier as well, since its made of steel. but all else mechanically is the same. some food for thought."

Love Hate Relationship

By on Sunday, October 14, 2007

"I agree about getting a lot of looks in this car. The guy giving me my coffee at Starbucks said, "So THIS is what an A8 looks like...." as I wiped the drool off my side mirror. It truly is an amazing car that was way ahead of it's time. I own a 1997 A8 quattro and the bells and whistles are great. Friends that have hopped in the backseat say they feel like the Pres. of the United States or like they're in the mafia. But I'm always scared to take it in to get fixed because the bill is comparable to a mortgage payment. I hope someday when I'm rich and famous I can afford a brand new A8 so that I won't care how much it costs to fix. But since I do, I'm trading it in for a Toyota Hybrid. So much more practical!"

More compliments than any other

By on Sunday, September 09, 2007

"I get more looks and compliments on this car than any other I have had. People see this car and it is like they have never seem an Audi before. Handles like a dream, quiet, comfortable, and gets great highway mileage. I liked it so much I bought an 01 Audi A8L also. I plan to try out the new Q7 next year when the v6 turbo diesel is available. You wont be disappointed, buy and enjoy."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Audi A8 near Honolulu. See local deals