• 2014 Small Luxury Sport Sedans

2014 Audi A6 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $43,133 - $44,242.

10/7.6

Based on 19 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

A miraculous combination of performance & MPGs

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "high performance, unbelievable fuel efficiency."

Cons: "Expensive, lacks sports car steering feel."

"By way of context, I also own a 2009 BMW 335d, which at that time was the most fuel efficient vehicle that BMW had ever imported to the U.S. The 2014 A6 TDI is larger, slightly faster, heavier, and has all-wheel drive (the 335d was **only** available with rear-wheel drive), yet the A6 TDI gets 10% to 20% better fuel economy! In addition to still owning a last-gen 3 series with sport package, I have driven hundreds of miles in the current generation 3 Series, as well as having test driven the new BMW 535d—the A6 TDI's most direct competitor. The A6, equipped with 20" wheels, summer tires, and various factory sport options is a hands-down winner over the 3 Series and 535d models I've driven. My 335d with sport package is unquestionably a better pure driver's car than the A6; however, this is due in part to its hydraulic steering. Since virtually all new cars in the A6's class now have more fuel efficient electrically assisted power steering, there is an unavoidable loss of feedback. This is true for the A6. It doesn't mean the steering is imprecise or bad, just less communicative. Even with S-Line trim and sport options—and with the steering feel set to "dynamic," the steering is still very light at low speeds, but it gets a bit heavier at speed, which is a good thing. Audi's sport steering wheel is elegant looking as well as a delight to hold. Interior aesthetics are stunningly beautiful throughout the cabin. All materials look and feel top notch. The front seats are comfortable and very adjustable, but still not as good as BMW sport seats, or as good as the seats in my old Audi S8 from 12 models years ago. The seats are **very** good, though. Cabin lighting is gorgeous, appearing to have been borrowed from NASA. Virtually everything one could want illuminated is softly and tastefully illuminated. My biggest gripe about the interior is that the MMI screen opens and pops up every time the car starts, and it retracts every time the car turns off. I have a very hard time believing that won't break at some point--and be very expensive to repair. I do, however appreciate the clean appearance that the interior has when the screen disappears into the dash. Exterior appearance is typical Audi: generally conservatively styled (except for the snout) with beautiful lines. The LED tail lights and daytime running lights have a futuristic and aggressive look about them. My particular car was equipped with full LED headlamps, which I don't think I would have ordered for the extra $1,400 or so price premium for that option, but it was on the car I liked on the dealer lot. The full LEDs add to the futuristic appearance, and they function well. They should also last for a very long time without noticeable dimming. My vehicle is black with S-Line trim. I wasn't looking specifically for a black car, but the large black grill work on the snout--in my opinion--works better when the body color is also dark. The optional 20" wheels--much to my surprise--don't make the ride choppy, excessively firm, or excessively noisy. Again, I would have steered clear of that option if I were ordering the car, for fear that the 35-series tires would offer too little cushion and protection for the wheels. But the car is still incredibly comfortable and civilized, and the 20" wheels--which are slightly smoky in color--look gorgeous and sporty, filling the wheel wells beautifully. Driving performance is excellent. The all-wheel drive makes the power delivery very subtle and low drama. It is far less dramatic than winding a high-revving gasser up to its redline, but the diesel feels like it accomplishes its work effortlessly, starting just off idle after a brief turbo lag. In real life, this diesel feels quicker and more responsive in the rev range where normal people do their normal driving. Yet it still manages to be incredibly fun--and sweet sounding--when wound up. Fuel economy has exceeded expectations. In my first 1,000 miles, I have averaged 32 MPG in mixed driving. With just a little care (i.e., not a bunch of crazy hyper-miling techniques), I can generally achieve 30 mpg in city driving. I have not observed 38 MPG highway yet, but that is because I have spent much of my highway driving in stop-and-go traffic, or cruising at seriously extra-legal speeds. Staying below 80 MPH should make the EPA claimed 38 MPG within easy reach. Finally, on the subject of fuel efficiency, keep in mind that the value proposition here goes beyond just saving money at the pump (which, by the way would take some years to pay back the initial price premium for the diesel). The ultra long range means you will be wasting less time getting fuel. Depending on the value of your time, this may pay for the cost differential faster than the fuel savings would! This car is an all-around excellent combination of comfortable size for four adults, good storage space, an amazing interior, excellent power and performance, and fuel economy that seems totally impossibly awesome!"

I love my new 2014 Audi A6 TDI Premium Plus

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

"It's a beautiful car which will turn your and other's heads. Audi designs and produces the best car interiors in the industry hands down and the A6's is no exception. The car has amazing acceleration and great handling with a good balance between muting the bumps in the road and still hugging the corners. All this plus incredible gas mileage for such a large and heavy car. I easily get the EPA est. 28/34 but generally get higher on the freeway, even getting 40 on one short trip and 37 on a long road trip north. The only time you hear the diesel is if you are stopped, the radio is off, and your window is down. Oh and if you punch it you hear a little diesel rumble. The auto start/stop feature takes some getting used to. The auto start you don't really notice and it's instantaneous when you take your foot off the brake and before you can reach the accelerator, but occasionally the auto stop can cause the car to shudder slightly. If it really bothers you, there is a button to turn this feature off on the dash. I wish there wasn't such a high markup in the price over the 3.0 gas model. Hopefully this will be made up in fuel savings over the long haul."

Comfort, ride, power, noise, looks, best ever.

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Power, ride, comfort, winter driving and heat"

Cons: "headlights too dim"

"I wish I had the heated side mirrors,front camera and passenger electric seat; that would be the best car EVER! Winter heating is fast but windshield tends to fog up...so did my 2002 A6"

Fantastic car, better than all competitors.

By on Monday, July 08, 2013

Pros: "Corners like a ducati"

Cons: "No automatic truck closure like the A8"

"This is my first sedan in 15 years so I drove them all, the A6 is the clear winner for me. Zero recalls so far and only regular scheduled maintenance visits. The MMI takes a few days to get used to but all the options are great. The system instantly recognizes new devices whether its a phone or ipod etc."

Wow!

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pros: "Sporty, smooth, responsive, top-rate interior"

Cons: "Front cup holders pretty small"

"I did extensive research before purchasing my Audi A6 a month ago. My previous car was a Toyota Avalon, which I had owned for 10 years. It was a nice, dependable car, but not "sporty" at all - pretty bland, actually. I finally landed on the A6 3.0 Premium Plus with the 20" Sport Package and Bose sound system - and all I can say is what an impressive car! The exterior is the definition of sporty and everyone comments on it. When driving, the car is so smooth and responds like nothing I've ever driven - I look for winding roads to drive on just for the fun of it! About the only negative thing I can say about it is that the front cup holders are so small. But that doesn't stop it from being an amazing ride!"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25