• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2004 Audi A6

8.0

Based on 404 Ratings for the 1998 - 2004 models.

Good looks, powerful, comfortable

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "performance, comfort, looks"

Cons: "low gas mileage"

"There is not much it is missing, apart from a built in Nav system (and these can be found now for $150) Bit heavy on tires, but if you go for comfort (Continental or Pirelli) and not Khumo or similar, 25,000 is usual so not bad for a biggish mid-sized sedan with 4-wheel drive. Some issues with pricing for repairs and big maintenance issues (timing chain, water pump and thermostat) which are not positioned well and need front end off to service, but I doubt it is more than a BMW, Merc or Lexus, so consider it a built in cost value"

Bought new 13 years ago--love it!

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great handling, massive trunk space"

Cons: "excessive wear on front tires (AWD)"

"I bought this 2001 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2L engine in Pearlescent white paint with all the extras the second it hit the dealer's lot 13 years ago. It has been a dream car for me and I've never been able to part with it or even consider owning anything else. Yes, repairs are expensive (but so are repairs to many other vehicles of lesser value). The Audi still feels new and at 110,000 miles there has been no sign of aging. I've spent $5,000 in repairs since owning it which I consider cheap for the reliability, luxury and safety it offers."

Like a sleeping baby

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Reason: Costly Repairs and bad gas mileage

Pros: "Fast and fun to drive"

Cons: "Very Very expensive to repair and maintain."

"The two best days of owing my Audi A6 2.7T S-Line was the day I bought it, and the day I sold it. It was the most expensive car that I have ever owned. Everything on it cost north of $500, but usually is $1000 plus. I bought mine with only 98000 miles. A month after I bought it the alternator failed, that was $1100 for Alternator and Battery. A week later it was $500 for wheel bearings. Then Two weeks later the Check engine light came on. Found out it was a air sensor: that was gonna be $700+ depending which one it was. Also It only gave me 19mpg average. 5 mos into owning the car I sold it and took a decent loss. I could finally sleep at nights and not have to worry about what else will go wrong. Don`t get me wrong, the car is a blast to drive and handles very well. But it wasn't worth all the money I had to put in it. I regretted selling my Lexus ES300 for it. I went out and bought an LS400 and now i`m back in car heaven. If you decide to get the car, get a warranty or be ready to sink thousands in it."

love vehicle, I purchased new and use only summers

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "reliable, good driver, doesn't look dated"

Cons: "should have gotten 2.7"

"I have owned 12 AUDIs. Most all proved to be great cars, very driver friendly. This car has never been out in snow and sits in a climate controlled garage. It truly looks as it did in the showroom. We have newer cars, but lugging golf clubs and stuff this remains a favorite. I change the oil and service the vehicle at the start of every Summer and keep it on a Battery Tender in off season. There has never been any major mechanical problems, and the Dealer always asks to buy the vehicle back, sort of a running joke."

Fun, while it lasts

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive"

Cons: "Very costly in its age"

"This car is beautiful, and very fun to drive. The power that it offers, especially in 4th and 5th gear, going from ~40 to ~70, gives you a rush. The highest I ever took it to was 115 mph (sometime in 2012, on 2002 model). It handles extremely well, and I enjoy the heaviness of the car. It has me smitten with AWD, and I will definitely seek this feature in future car purchases. Unfortunately, the driving experience is not worth it when weighing it against the maintenance and repair costs for this aging vehicle. Within the past 3 years: timing belt, water pump, tires (twice), both catalytic converters. Now it's throwing codes for timing and catalyst again, which means I will have to shell out for the costly work that I just did on it 18 months ago! And it's not just the sensors, when driving one can tell there is a legitimate issue with the timing. The oil sensor also went out last month. The timing belt, in particular, is fascinatingly expensive. To install a new timing belt you use this universal tool to align it as you're attaching it to the engine (I apologize if I'm saying this wrong). But Audi designed this "special" timing belt system which requires... you guessed it... a special tool designed by... Audi. A gentleman working the parts desk at my local Audi dealership once described this car as "over-engineered." It also takes 93 octane gasoline. On a full tank (~18 gallons) and driving mostly highway, I get about 350 miles."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Audi A6 near Honolulu. See local deals