2001 Audi A4

7.6

Based on 487 Ratings for the 2001 - 2004 models.

Most expensive light bulb on the planet!

By on Monday, April 7, 2008

"I really like driving my A4, but the cost of repairs is just ridiculous. My Xenon headlight blew out last week and the bulbs are not easy to find in your typical auto parts stores. After unsuccessfully trying to locate one (I suppose I could have used various message boards to locate a cheaper option) I was forced to go to the dealer to get a bulb. The cost was $200.50 for the bulb! Then, as the service manager was trying to install it for me (you gotta take the entire headlight out) we saw that the igniter/ballast going to the bulb was most likely the original cause of the bulb going out because it was burned up/melted. They located that part on their computer and it is $650.00! That, with $99 for 1 hour of labor makes a total of $949.50 for a LIGHT BULB! A few other things. The dipstick is made of cheap fibery kind of plastic, and whoever changes the oil in it (or checks the oil) needs to apply a little force to get it all the way to the bottom of the engine. Doing so causes the plastic to become weak halfway up the dipstick resulting in breakage. I am on my 3rd dipstick now in just about 3 years, and at $23 a pop it's just ridiculous that they don't have something better. Last thing is you gotta buy the wiper blades from the dealer to (read: expensive) because they're not stocked in auto parts stores. The bottom line is, Audi's look nice, so look at them online or in a showroom. Then go buy a Honda or a Toyota. If you really want the A4, go lease a new one because then any issues are Audi's problem and not yours. DO NOT, under any circumstances, purchase a used A4!"

2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro

By on Sunday, March 7, 2010

"Never buy this car with this engine and year model. I owned my A4 for two years and spent thousands of dollars in repair work. The ignition coils kept failing and I was unaware of all the damage malfunctioning coils can do to the car. As a result, both of my catalytic converters failed, which costs well over $2000 to repair. Other problems include, windshield washer pump, multiple sensors going out, faulty trunk latch, and light bulbs had to be replaced all of the time. I take great care of my cars and I still had all of theses problems. I know the later production of the A4's had better reliability, but still stay away from the 3.0 V6. I owned this car only from 60,000 miles to 90,000 miles and had all of these problems. SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND DO NOT BUY THIS CAR UNLESS IT IS A 2004 OR NEWER."

A quality car for the price

By on Monday, November 7, 2011

Pros: "It is a driver's car. Gets 26-30 MPG, city/hwy"

Cons: "Cup holders are horrible. Costly maintenance."

"This has been my favorite car I have owned, and I have owned a lot of cars. I bought mine used with 85,000 miles on it and the service was behind. This is the worst mistake you can make with an Audi. If you buy one used, make sure it has its scheduled maintenance documented or you will end up like me, constantly catching up on maintenance. I average 800-1200 per year on maintenance. The first year was the worst. Timing belt by the dealer-1400, electrical issue-600. Since then, minor things have averaged out to 4-500 per year. Overall, if I had bought one in excellent condition, would be a 4.5 out of 5, but mine could not score this high. Great car though and would highly recommend, IF IT HAS ITS MAINTENANCE DONE!"

Take care of your car, ur car will take care of u

By on Friday, July 30, 2010

"Here's the deal a car is a car, you treat poorly, it's going to run poorly. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. I have had my A4 1.8 turbo for 9 years now, has it had it's share of recalled parts, YES. Has it left me stranded, YES. The first time it left me stranded was due to recalled ignition coils, fixed for free (parts, labor, and towing)The next time it left me stranded was due to a timing belt issue which Audi paid for everything. . .after a class action lawsuit. The last time was due to a fuel pump going out at 285,000 miles. "Is this normal for this to go out?" I asked the mechanic. "Probably, we've never had a car with that kind of mileage on it." I now have 323,000 miles on it, I take it to the dealer to have all work done on it. It's probably a little more $$, but they also know the cars the best. Work done in the past 9 years: oil changes every 3000 (i don't care what the manual says) Timing belt every 90K miles (that's 4 belts) Ignition coils, Fuel pump, 3 windshields, 4 sets of wheels (I bend rims a lot) 6 sets of Tires, 3 sets of headlights (i always drive with my lights on) 1 set of brake disks, 4 sets of brake pads. . .Basic stuff. The still looks new and drives like new. Interior is great except one small crack in the leatherette (fake leather) drivers seat. All gauges and electrical works, the in-dash display faded out at the 120,000 mile mark, I hear that is common with these cars, I may replace it one day. I plan on hitting the 1,000,000 mile mark with this car. I've taken care of it. . . So far it's been taking car of me. Total cost over the past 9 year approx. $12,000 Agressive Colorado Driver"

What a fun car.

By on Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Pros: "fun to drive, tinted windows, AWD, leather"

Cons: "repairs, windows, no cigarette lighter"

"This vehicle was my first vehicle, and I've had it since I was 15 years old. It has been quite reliable and has never broken down on me. With the AWD, I was able to take it places that many four-door sedans can't normally go. The leather seats, though warm on a hot day, are easily cleaned and create a smooth interior, which is surprisingly spacious for a smaller car. The windows are tinted on all four side windows and the moon roof. I just fixed a head gasket leak and replaced the headlights. Three of the windows need their regulators fixed. The ABS light, Emergency Break light, Airbag light and Check Engine light are on. There is a communication issue with the computer that is causing these lights to remain on. As you may or may not know, Audi's are notorious for these types of repairs. If you can afford to pay for them, then I would highly recommend that you buy this car. It is an extremely fun car to drive. It rides very smooth and can reach speeds over 100mph without feeling any any difference in performance (tested on a closed course). Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Audi A4 near Honolulu. See local deals