2001 Audi A4

7.6

Based on 483 Ratings for the 2001 - 2004 models.

7.6/10

Great to drive, beautiful lines!

By on Monday, October 15, 2007

"I've owned Audi's for the last 32 years. My first was a new 1984 4000 Quattro 4-speed which had 250,000 miles when I sold it. In 2002, I was really impressed with the new design and purchased a new A4 3.0L, 6-speed with the sport package. I may still have the 4000, but for the time it started to take for repairs - they stopped stocking parts. Like the 4000, my new Audi is pricey to maintain, but the pleasure of the drive makes up for it. Some people will disagree with me about that, but if you enjoy the experience of driving a realtively fast, well-handling (especially the sport suspension) beautiful car, you'll appreciate what I mean. It really is a pleasureble experience after a stressful day. Though not a sports car, the stiffer ride and lower hight of the sport suspension makes for exceptional handling in turns. I also own a 1994 RX-7, so my standard of comparison for handling and performance is pretty high. As for shifting, the shifter is silky smooth and provides an uncanny mix of feelings: luxury, power, speed and control. For the money and sheer joy of driving, I think this car is the best value among the European autos. I have not had any out of the ordinary mechanical problems with either car. If I did, I'd probably be complaining about the cost to maintain. However, I do find a few negatives: first, the plastic dip stick is pretty flimsy for such an expensive car. I've had one replaced already that was damaged (bent) by the dealership during an oil change. It was out of stock and took two weeks to replace at no cost to me. Another criticism is the oddly designed and placed cup holders, though not too big a deal, they are really awakward to use. Lastly, and this is really dumb, the "rubber textured paint on the interior door handles and electrical switches is too easily damaged by normal use. My wedding ring has marked its own place on the handle/arm rest of the driver's door. NOTE: Not wearing a wedding ring when I drive is not an option. Normal use has also worn away the paint from the headlamp switch, window switches, etc. This really can hurt resale value. Seeing these growing little scratches day after day also reduces the luxury feel of the interior, is psychologically abusive and very disappointing. All owners should be offered free touch ups. I recommend Audi to my friends and a few have purchased them instead of other Euro-types. Despite a few complaints, I think I'll be happy with my A4 for many more years, as I was with my 1984 4000."

Nice early on, then gets REAL expensive later

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "Great car before 50,000 miles"

Cons: "Ridiculous to maintain long-term, not a keeper"

"I love the look of the car and driving it is a pleasure. The first 50,000 miles the car was reliable although the turning and braking lights would constantly fail. You would replace one and a day later another would fail. Once it got past the 50,000 mile warranty, a major (costly) repair would occur every 6 months or so. Oil leaks, coolant leaks, power steering leaks - all requiring $1,000+ to fix. Even started going to a "cheaper" mechanic who specialized in VW/Audi (that should tell you something). Finally, just got rid of it. Not reliable at all!"

Love, Love, Love this car!

By on Saturday, September 03, 2011

Pros: "Great driving feel, plenty of power, AWD, looks awesome"

Cons: "could get more MPG, fragile interior"

"I have owned this Audi (A4 3.0Q MT) for three years and 40k miles. The car has been an extremely reliable vehicle. I only had to have it towed once due to a coil pack failure, which I highly recommend you do if you ever have a coil pack go out. Other than that everything has been routine (oil changes, brake pads, timing belt etc.) I will say that you need to be very careful with the interior. The paint can chip easily when it ages. I have replaced a few switches to keep everything looking showroom new. Also, DO NOT let maintenance slide. Other than that this car drives very well in all types of conditions and I think at 9 years old, still looks great."

Unreliable

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Pros: "Great looks"

Cons: "Very expensive to maintain. Horribly unreliable."

"I bought this car new in 2004 for my wife. It only has 54,000 miles on it (not bad for a 10 year old car). It has had the following components replaced in the past 4 years: the air conditioning compressor, sunroof control, front and rear transmission seals (leaking fluid all over my garage), left front wheel bering, left front tie rod and 3 sets of tires. It hardly gets driven. It is garage kept and is in immaculate condition (looks new). It has had bi-annual service by the dealer. It has still cost me over $4000. I will never buy another Audi."

Never again

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

"I previously owned a Volkswagen and was very pleased with the car overall, so when I bought my A4 1.8T, I had pretty high expectations... that weren't met. I've had this car for about six months and so far, I've had coil packs blowing left and right, problems with the AC, the regulators are broken on both the driver and passenger side windows, and there's evidently an issue with the transmission in these cars because a quick google search shows a multitude of other Audi owners with the same problem. The dealership told me it's a $6000 job. Repair shops refuse to work on my car, transmission shops can't do anything but replace the (continuously variable) transmission... I would never have expected Audi to fall so short on dependability."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Audi A4 near Honolulu. See local deals