1999 Audi A4

8.2

Based on 239 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

A Very Worthy Vehicle

By on Saturday, March 29, 2008

"I purchased my 1999 A4 2.8 Quattro new in late 1998, so we're approaching 10 years! This car has NEVER once stranded me. And I really haven't done many repairs. Water pump (which seems to be the weakest item reading other reviews and I replaced the timing belt while doing this) and rear brake pads more than I have on other cars (it's a quattro), but that's really it other than maintenance. I have had no eletrical problems (just replaced my first headlight). The car combines the best of what Germany has to offer - a good cross between a BMW and a Mercedes. And the Quattro system is the best 4 wheel drive system around (and really the first full time system). And there is just something about the "feel" driving a German/European car. They have something which makes it hard to then drive Japanese or US. I read a couple of bad reviews regarding reliability and all I can say is they bought an abused used car and low mileage (if even true) is no guarantee and really a warning sign. This vehicle does not have problems with sludge (or for that matter engines) - that is a symptom of either infrequent oil changes or poor oil quality."

So far so good

By on Sunday, September 07, 2008

"I bought this as a station car used with high milage. The car is very comfortable and fun to drive. In the short time that I have owned it I have learned one very important lesson. If you go to a parts store you are not going to get the right part. ie: I bought Bosch plugs but Audi uses NGK's and the car knew the difference. For your own peace of mind, use parts from the dealer or find out what the originals are. I had to replace the o2 sensors as well and almost made the same mistake. Audi has a different part # for each sensor and it appears that each has a seperate address in the computer so if you use generic these addresses are not correct and you will still get a check engine light. If you use the right parts, this is a great example of German engineering. For what it's worth."

It's great, when there is nothing wrong

By on Thursday, April 15, 2010

"When the car is without issues, it'd be a 5 across the board. My car always had some issue going on, and it was not for lack of my maintenance. Twice I had my headlights literally stop working. Replaced ball joints, and they were shot not even a year later. Some stupid spring in my back tire area would never stop making an annoying creaking noise and would cost more to fix than just dealing with it. Then I had a problem with my fuel pump, and sometimes would take a couple tries to start. And the worst thing is the electrical and sensor issues. My check engine light would almost always be on, and essentially for no reason. Then my airbag light came on for no reason. And on and on. After reading reviews, it really seems like these cars can be hit and miss. It seems like they run can run GREAT and just need routine maintenance that would go along with the age/miles of the car. Other people seem to be in my position, where it literally felt like IT WAS ALWAYS SOMETHING with this car. As long as yours isn't 'temperamental' these cars are great and nothing I'd rather drive. If you get stuck with one that has issues, good luck."

Fun to drive, expensive to own!

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"I got this car with 60k and put 20k on it in 3 years. When it runs, it is fun to drive, handle very well, good power and great on ice & snow (which we get quick a lot up here). In the past 3 years, I have complete change of front control arms twice (Cost $1,500 each time); 2 rear bearings ($700); timing belt ($1,300); oil leak ($800; both the top and bottom of the engine); ignition coil ($200, only 1 out of the 4); ABS control unit ($300, Pumb & Bosch control unit). All these work is done by local mechanic with after market parts. If is it done in Audi, I was told that the control arms alone will cost $5,000 each time! My mechanic love it, since I am in the shop once so often. It is cheap to buy it, but super expensive to maintain it. (You can easily spend more money to fix it then what it is worth on the market.) Also, I can't believe Audi charge people $30k for a car that has PVC seat surface that crack all the time. I love Audi's design (Especially interior). However, I will never BUY another one. This is the kind of car you should LEASE only, unless you are a mechanic. Hope it help."

I love my Audi Quattro wagon

By on Thursday, December 20, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, practical, fun to drive, good looking"

Cons: "burns a little oil, parts are expensive"

"I've owned this car since 2005, and I love it! It is my SUV in a can. I can throw all my gear in the back, including my bike with the back seat down. It gets decent gas mileage, and is super sporty and fun to drive. Not to mention going to the snow is no problem in this car. I just got in a tiny little accident taking out the front corner of the car. Unfortunately, the costs exceeded what the insurance was willing to pay and it got deemed a 'total loss', but I chose to put it back together, and boy am I glad. I couldn't have replaced this classic little car for the money. I perform regular oil changes, and aside from normal wear and tear, i.e, brakes, suspension at 100K, and a new valve cover gasket, I would say it has had very few mechanical problems. I can say that I have never been stranded. I would recommend this car to anyone who appreciates German engineering and creature comforts (heated, leather seats)and loves to drive sporty cars. Hint: find a volkswagon mechanic to work on it. Same cars, cheaper shop rates!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Audi A4 near Honolulu. See local deals