2002 Acura TL

Based on 476 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

Take a pass

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"It look like all 00-03 TL's have a defective transmission design. The problem is 2nd gear does not get enough oil and the 3rd gear clutch pack does not get enough oil... It is a poor design that Acura cannot fix. The NEW factory extended waranty is 7yr 9months OR 109,000 miles... My tranny was replaced at 80,000 in 7/04-- Although I have no problems,-I have no faith in it & panic everytime I have to drive out of town... The rest of the car is typical excellent Honda quality.... Cost of a rebuilt replacement tranny (once out of waranty) is appx $3500-$4000 from Acura.... It would be worth fixing if the rebuilt tranny would go for 100K miles... but the rebuilts only last for 40-50k miles---- What a shame.... Although new Acura's do not have this problem, I will not buy another Acura, based on principle."

Great car after bugs worked out

By on Thursday, March 06, 2008

"I have had my TL for 7 year and it has 160k miles. The transmission has been replaced 3 times. Each time the dealer has replaced it at no cost to me. Acura has finally put out a fix for the transmission. Other then that it still runs like new. Over time the rotors will begin to warp and cause the steering weal to shake when breaking. This can be fixed by replacing them with higher end rotors."

Still going after 15 years..

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

Pros: "Very advanced for a 2000, driver-friendly"

Cons: "Notorious Acura slipping transmission"

"Bought this car in 2011 with 130,000 on it. I was pretty happy with it; heated seats and mirrors, navigation, xenon headlamps, Bose audio; this car was quite advanced for 2000. Beautiful color too, White Diamond Pearl. It was running great until recently the fuel pressure regulator and the power train control module started going bad. (Sputters and dies after a lot of start-ups running errands) Besides that, the car has never let me down so far. Pulls very nicely, VTEC sounds glorious with a short ram intake and sport exhaust. I'm going to miss this car when I sell it!"

Great drive...comfortable

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

"The only complaints I have is that this model year there was a problem with the transmission. I went through 2 transmissions....after one year, and then after about 5 years. Also, it began to rust in 2 of the wheel wells. I've owned many Hondas and this is the first one that rusted. I do not live near a beach where salt would cause this to happen, and I am meticulous about this car. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed this car and wish I could afford a new one."

Great car, horrible tranny

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Reason: Transmission failure

Pros: "Strong engine, handles great, and a very comfortable ride."

Cons: "Tranny."

"I bought my 99 3.2tl in 04 and it was great. Until the tranny went at 75k miles. Acura replaced the tranny under warranty, but at 150k miles, the tranny went again, but this time it was at my expense ($2400), ouch!!! I loved the car so much, I thought it was worth repairing, so I did. At 188k mile, guest what??? Yes, the tranny again. It was two years and 38k miles later, just to do it all over again. Well, I didn't invest any more money into this car and ended up selling it. If it wasn't for the tranny going bad, I would be still driving this vehicle. Great car, horrible tranny."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura TL near Honolulu. See local deals