2002 Acura TL

Based on 476 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

Take a pass

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"It look like all 00-03 TL's have a defective transmission design. The problem is 2nd gear does not get enough oil and the 3rd gear clutch pack does not get enough oil... It is a poor design that Acura cannot fix. The NEW factory extended waranty is 7yr 9months OR 109,000 miles... My tranny was replaced at 80,000 in 7/04-- Although I have no problems,-I have no faith in it & panic everytime I have to drive out of town... The rest of the car is typical excellent Honda quality.... Cost of a rebuilt replacement tranny (once out of waranty) is appx $3500-$4000 from Acura.... It would be worth fixing if the rebuilt tranny would go for 100K miles... but the rebuilts only last for 40-50k miles---- What a shame.... Although new Acura's do not have this problem, I will not buy another Acura, based on principle."

Still going after 15 years..

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

Pros: "Very advanced for a 2000, driver-friendly"

Cons: "Notorious Acura slipping transmission"

"Bought this car in 2011 with 130,000 on it. I was pretty happy with it; heated seats and mirrors, navigation, xenon headlamps, Bose audio; this car was quite advanced for 2000. Beautiful color too, White Diamond Pearl. It was running great until recently the fuel pressure regulator and the power train control module started going bad. (Sputters and dies after a lot of start-ups running errands) Besides that, the car has never let me down so far. Pulls very nicely, VTEC sounds glorious with a short ram intake and sport exhaust. I'm going to miss this car when I sell it!"

Great drive...comfortable

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

"The only complaints I have is that this model year there was a problem with the transmission. I went through 2 transmissions....after one year, and then after about 5 years. Also, it began to rust in 2 of the wheel wells. I've owned many Hondas and this is the first one that rusted. I do not live near a beach where salt would cause this to happen, and I am meticulous about this car. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed this car and wish I could afford a new one."

Best first car you could ask for

By on Friday, November 01, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Quick, Comfortable, HWY MPG"

Cons: "Terrible gas mileage in the city"

"It's an amazing car that I have never had issues with, at almost 240000 miles it's still running strong couldn't ask for more fun, safety, comfort and reliability in a car"

Bought new and it's best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "still fun to drive 9 years later!!!"

Cons: "original transmission defective"

"Original Transmissions were defective. Acura replaced my original transmission after 8 years a 80000 miles and paid half even thought it was out of warranty. New transmissions have incorporated fix and Acura expects them to last much longer. Car is very peppy and handles well. I've taken good care of my car and it still looks like new inside and out; only problem areas are clock (night illumination has failed 2x) and had to replace radio after it quit working."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura TL near Honolulu. See local deals