2001 Acura TL

Based on 476 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

Almost Great

By on Sunday, November 25, 2007

"I bought my 2002 TL new in early 2001. It was the most expensive car I had ever bought at close to $30k. I thought it would be bullet proof. But within a year or two I started hearing the transmission horror stories and I knew I would be next. I was concerned about driving it for fear of the failure - but I felt like it would be a financial disaster to get rid of it. I felt like Acura was trying to be helpful at first - but basically they just had a script to read. They would not admit it was unsafe (even though it was) and they acted as if not ALL of the tranny's failed - but they would not give a percentage either. I suspect the percentage is pretty high. So I lived with this concern until this year (2007) and it finally failed at 74k. And when it went - it wasn't pretty. It bucked and jerked and raced and slammed into a low gear (I can see how someone on the interstate could get hurt if this occured at 70 mph). They put in a rebuilt tranny at no cost and it's been OK since. But I have sour grapes about the whole thing. You don't spend $30k to find out there is a major design/engineering flaw that could jeopardize your safety. So when it was time to buy another car - I looked at the Acura TL but bought a Maxima instead. I don't know if I will ever trust Honda/Acura again."

Best first car you could ask for

By on Friday, November 01, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Quick, Comfortable, HWY MPG"

Cons: "Terrible gas mileage in the city"

"It's an amazing car that I have never had issues with, at almost 240000 miles it's still running strong couldn't ask for more fun, safety, comfort and reliability in a car"

Loved my Acura!

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Reason: Needed SUV

"Drove this car for 9yrs. Loved it. Very dependable and so luxurious and comfortable. Put over 200k miles and rarely caused me a problem other than routine wear and tear. Only sold it due to needing an SUV."

Bought new and it's best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "still fun to drive 9 years later!!!"

Cons: "original transmission defective"

"Original Transmissions were defective. Acura replaced my original transmission after 8 years a 80000 miles and paid half even thought it was out of warranty. New transmissions have incorporated fix and Acura expects them to last much longer. Car is very peppy and handles well. I've taken good care of my car and it still looks like new inside and out; only problem areas are clock (night illumination has failed 2x) and had to replace radio after it quit working."

Simply the most reliable car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, timeless style."

Cons: "Body lean, nav can not be updated."

"Now going into year 15 in owning this car. I wish they made cars like this today - interior has held up including the switch gear and does not look as dated as car that's 15 years old should. Nearly everything functions as when new with a few exceptions - self dimming rearview mirror failed about 5 years old, CD based nav system is not updateable and of little use today. Only other complaint is so-so gas mileage, and my original paint has faded and in spots on the roof looks like the protective coat has eroded. (I park the car on the street.) Like others have said I would say handling is competent but not razor sharp and there is more body lean than I like in corners but it's among the most comfortable highway cars I've owned. Such a shame that Acura/Honda are not producing the same sort of cars with timeless style, simplicity, and reliability."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura TL near Honolulu. See local deals