2001 Acura TL

Based on 478 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

Still going after 15 years..

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

Pros: "Very advanced for a 2000, driver-friendly"

Cons: "Notorious Acura slipping transmission"

"Bought this car in 2011 with 130,000 on it. I was pretty happy with it; heated seats and mirrors, navigation, xenon headlamps, Bose audio; this car was quite advanced for 2000. Beautiful color too, White Diamond Pearl. It was running great until recently the fuel pressure regulator and the power train control module started going bad. (Sputters and dies after a lot of start-ups running errands) Besides that, the car has never let me down so far. Pulls very nicely, VTEC sounds glorious with a short ram intake and sport exhaust. I'm going to miss this car when I sell it!"

Great drive...comfortable

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

"The only complaints I have is that this model year there was a problem with the transmission. I went through 2 transmissions....after one year, and then after about 5 years. Also, it began to rust in 2 of the wheel wells. I've owned many Hondas and this is the first one that rusted. I do not live near a beach where salt would cause this to happen, and I am meticulous about this car. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed this car and wish I could afford a new one."

Bought new in '03

By on Friday, February 20, 2015

Pros: "cost effective, fun to drive car"

Cons: "short front seat cushion for 6+ footers."

"Wife stole it, LOL, now 12 years later car is still tight, no rattles and besides 1 set of tires, 2 batterys and 1 set of brakes nothing has gone wrong. Style still isn't old. If they still make them like this I would buy another in a heartbeat."

Bought new and it's best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "still fun to drive 9 years later!!!"

Cons: "original transmission defective"

"Original Transmissions were defective. Acura replaced my original transmission after 8 years a 80000 miles and paid half even thought it was out of warranty. New transmissions have incorporated fix and Acura expects them to last much longer. Car is very peppy and handles well. I've taken good care of my car and it still looks like new inside and out; only problem areas are clock (night illumination has failed 2x) and had to replace radio after it quit working."

Best first car you could ask for

By on Friday, November 01, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Quick, Comfortable, HWY MPG"

Cons: "Terrible gas mileage in the city"

"It's an amazing car that I have never had issues with, at almost 240000 miles it's still running strong couldn't ask for more fun, safety, comfort and reliability in a car"

Simply the most reliable car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, timeless style."

Cons: "Body lean, nav can not be updated."

"Now going into year 15 in owning this car. I wish they made cars like this today - interior has held up including the switch gear and does not look as dated as car that's 15 years old should. Nearly everything functions as when new with a few exceptions - self dimming rearview mirror failed about 5 years old, CD based nav system is not updateable and of little use today. Only other complaint is so-so gas mileage, and my original paint has faded and in spots on the roof looks like the protective coat has eroded. (I park the car on the street.) Like others have said I would say handling is competent but not razor sharp and there is more body lean than I like in corners but it's among the most comfortable highway cars I've owned. Such a shame that Acura/Honda are not producing the same sort of cars with timeless style, simplicity, and reliability."

Fast/comfortable/transmission going soon 155 k

By on Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"Awesome car very fast and reliable. Transmission going. Knocks when I put in reverse, agonizing. Car has 155k now. Not sure if I want to sell or drive to the wheels fall off. Not looking forward to paying 3k for a new transmission."

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I bought my TL-S used with only 21,000 miles on it. It was love at first sight. But at 36,000 miles my transmission went out. If that wasn't bad enough my transmission went out again 4 months after it had been replaced. I am now on my 3rd transmission and this one is slipping and the dealership has driven it and say that they can not duplicate the problem. And now needless to say my warranty is about to run out in less than 800 miles. Hmm, wonder who is going to replace it after the warranty? Don't get me wrong I love the vehicle and I would joke around saying that I would have to bury the car b/c I was going to drive it in the ground, but someone should realize that obviously something is wrong here. I asked about them extending the warranty only on the transmission as I have only put about 5,000 miles on it since it was replaced and they told me "NO". As much as these vehicles cost, and as nice as they are they still have problems like any other. I will buy another Acura even with the problems."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Monday, May 14, 2012

Pros: "great reliability and best $/mile I have ever had."

Cons: "Wish there was an AWD option."

"I bought with 80k miles, and I am up to 219k. It has had regular routine maintenance, with a couple other small issues (park safety switch, cruise control, cabin fan, CV joints) but it has never had a major problem, never stranded me, and has been close to perfect. Has plenty of get up and go, great handling, good gas mileage, fun to drive with the shiftable automatic."

Amazing Ride Comfort and Manueverability Sedan

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Pros: "Everything Else"

Cons: "Transmission"

"I bought this car in 2008 as the second owner @ 98,000 miles. It came with all the features of a luxury vehicle and a sport suspension included in the Type-S. Although there is a known transmission recall on these models, it really depends on how you drive it. I've replaced a couple transmissions myself and it was my fault to blame. 0-60 mph in Second gear will ruin any car. It has a 5 speed Automatic Transmission that runs great itself. Yes, the optional tiptronic is available for more of the sport feel but as long as you dont mess with it you'll be fine. 45,000 miles since the rebuilt of my transmission I never had a problem. Over all rebuilding a transmission is cheaper than buying a new car. Keep in mind that this is still a luxury sedan with sporty features. Great Design just not Perfected"

I love my TL

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, power and stereo system."

Cons: "2003 model had transmission problems."

"I put a lot of miles on my vehicles and this one has responded extremely well. Very nimble and always ready with a burst of power when needed. The only reason I'm even considering another vehicle is to move more people and pets."

Best car I've ever owned.

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Go for it, you won't be sorry"

Cons: "make sure timing belt was changed"

"Except for some initial teething problems, this is the best car I've ever owned. The car had to have the transmission swapped out at 34,000 miles, but since then, nothing else has broken down on it. Who ever thought the entire exhaust system would last 13 years and 149,000 miles, and still is intact? Ditto, the alternator, radiator, power steering, shock absorbers, etc? My Acura mechanic (who by the way, always asks me to sell my car to him)told me the engine will easily pass 350,000 miles. Go Acura!"

Great quality, space and dependability

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Comfort/Style Sunroof!!"

Cons: "Hot leather seats"

"I bought mine used in 2005 with 75k already on the odometer and I haven't regretted it! I have driven this car into the ground and it is still a dependable work horse. Commute 300miles per week plus the frequent trips to San Antonio and Albuquerque. The only flaws I can think of is that the back seat belts are made to fit tiny people and the black leather is not fun in the summer. I have kept up with suggested maintenance but I rarely use the suggested 91 octane fuel, this may or may not affect my mpg but it helps my pocket book. I will need new car soon but this one has treated me too well to pick anything else with certainty."

Stay away

By on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Be aware! Transmissions fail regularly on these models. 2000-2003 Acura TLs have safety recall on them for transmission failing. This is extremely expensive if it is out of the extended warranty range that Acura put out on these. Plus they replace them with rebuild faulty ones and it will happen again within the next 50-60k miles."

Bad tranmission - warning

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I owned this car until very recently but bought it brand new. I did not know the problems I was going to have until after I owned it for three years. Then the fun started. First, an intermitant electrical problem confounded the mechanics. After four attempts it was realized the engine sensor was bad and nothing was wrong with the car. That was a relatively inexpensive $500 repair covered under the extended warranty I purchased. Then, at 63,000 miles the tranmission went. I rescued my wife and drove the car to the dealership in third gear (the only gear working) There we found out we were #8. Number 8 of what? In line for a transmission - there were 7 other Acura TLs in for the same transmission replacement, and it was on back order since they are failing all over the United States on Acura TLs, Acura MDXs, and Honda Accord V6s (they all share the same five speed transmission). After a month of waiting we were finally able to get a $4500 transmission installed. This was also under the extended warranty, which cost about $1200 - well worth it considering the car had $5000 repairs at this point. We were warned that this replaced the transmission, but did not fix the problem as it was still in the new transmission - and to expect it to fail again at double the mileage if our driving habits stayed the same. At 81,000 miles the electrical problem returned, this time it was the oxygen sensor on the engine as well as the engine senor failing a second time. This repair was another $1500 - again under the extended warranty bringing the total to $6500. Immediately after this repair, we sold the car (with the $50 fee to transfer the warranty to the next owner). The warranty was going to run out in 19,000 miles and I did not want to have to pay for repairing a car that had never been super reilable."

Falling Apart

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"I am the original owner of this '02 TL. Initialy, I loved the car. A great highway cruiser. 28+ mpg on the road. Great sound system. Rode and drove very well. Then, the clearcoat started to turn white. After that, it started to peal off the trunk area, then all over. Very disapointing. The entire car needs repainting. Then the transmission went out. Yes, a new one had to be installed. The front left wheel bearing went out, and the transformer for one of the headlights also. A $880 fix for the headlight at the dealer. I now have more money in the car than it's worth. My 17 yr. old drives it now."

horrible transmissions

By on Sunday, September 02, 2007

"these cars look awsome and are very comfortable. the only problem is the transmissions are very prone to failure. acura extended the warranty to 7 years and 100,000 miles. there is a safty recall for the transmissions and there are numerous people who are on there third and fourth transmissions. i will be staying away from acura from now on."

just a great car

By on Saturday, April 03, 2010

"My TL Type S has 232000k miles. Never had a problem. My miles are all freeway Los Gato to Auburn, Auburn to Los Gatos every week since new in 2002. Great MPG."

Best BANG for your BUCKS car

By on Sunday, June 21, 2009

"Bought this car for $6K even w/ 150K miles. Why so many miles you might ask? With Acuras, I don't hesistate 'cause like my last Acura w/ 200K miles (which got totaled by another car), they don't break...period. Got my mechanic to check this one out before buying, he said 'Wow, 150K and no oil Leaks?' No CV joint issue, no a/c problem. Just leather, cold A/C and Bose sound system...perfect. Dollar for Dollar, I don't think u can beat the value and reliability offered by an Acura in any luxury class."

As good as it gets

By on Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"I have owned this car for 7 years and it has been the best all round car I have owned in 38 years of driving. Comfortable, roomy, reliable, drives and handles well. All the desired options are standard and the climate control is strong and quiet. I love that engine. Ample power, and gets 23-24 mpg around town and 28-31 on the highway @ 75+. Transmission is smooth and solid. Paint and interior still look new although it is not garaged. Acura service and warranty top notch. Only a couple minor issues in 114k miles. The automatic rear mirror went bad, but replaced under warranty even though car had 60k on it. Passenger seat airbag sensor failed and also replaced under warranty. One set of front brakes, 4 tires and 1 battery is all it has needed other than routine fluid and filter changes. If I had to replace this car tomorrow I would buy a 2002 or 2003. The TL was redesigned in 2004 into a slightly larger version. The 2000-2003s are a "just right" fully optioned, comfortable and reliable car. Conservative and pleasant styling that looks reasonably upscale, but a frugal car that is always ready to go when I turn the key. I plan to get 200k miles out of my car."

Well-Balanced Package

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Bought my 2003 Type-S certified with 64K, now has 83K. I like this car a lot and will be sad when it is time to part with it. Only major out-of-pocket expense was brake rotors. Basically a trouble-free car. I have not had the transmission issues well-known with this generation of the TL. I average 24 MPG mixed city and freeway driving, which is good for the ample power and size of the car. The TL Type-S is a great value because it has all of the modern safety features and luxury essentials, while providing a nice blend of performance and comfort. This is a well-balanced package. Honda deserves praise for the graceful styling, I like the newer exterior designs far less. The Bose sound system is excellent. Plenty of room for rear-seat passengers and cavernous trunk space. The interior is comfortable and of high quality, but lacks the more modern look. The gauges are large and nice to look at. Acceleration and handling are two strong points of the Type-S. This front-driver works better in the turns than my rear-drive BMW Z3 that is about 500 pounds lighter!"

Great for the money

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Bought my 2002 3.2 TL Type S brand spanking new in October 2001. Made the move to a "10-Year" car from my 1997 Honda Civic (which I love to this day) with 130,000 miles. Compared the Acura against the BMW 3 Series, Audi A-4, Lexus IS-250 and decided I could really enjoy the money I was saving by buying Acura. I knew the quality of Honda products and expected the reliability. Replaced first transmission at 50,001 miles at Acura's cost. Replaced 2nd transmission at 98,000 miles at Acura's cost. I've got 151,000 miles on the car now and the tranny is slipping a tad but not enough to make me worry...yet. Love the understated power of the car and how it "looks like another family car" until you punch it! Been through a boat load of tires but have had no issues other than the tranny. I change the oil and rotate the tires every 5,000 miles, I had the timing belt replaced at 100,000 and I still love the car. My only wish is they would have put the 6-speed manual from the CL Type S into this car."

It keeps going and going and going

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "Very zippy and sporty feel. Great gas mileage."

Cons: "If I had to knit pick, seats are a little stiff."

"To keep it short and simple this car has never let me down. I almost hate to move on from it. 158,000 miles and not a single malfunction or repair needed.... just remarkable."

My 4th Acura - Keep them coming!

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, reliable, powerful, looks great."

Cons: "Some new toys are attractive - electric?"

"Previous three Acuras (back to a Legend) all went over 250K without a bit of mechanical trouble - compared to my cars from Ford, Buick, Mazda, Pontiac, Datsun (!) and even an Opal (that got totaled by the dealer while repairing). After 60 years riding around with others in everything from Porsche to Cadillac to Prius, I have never had or seen a more comfortable, thoughtful, reliable automobile."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pros: "Good acceleration, handling, smooth ride, reliable"

Cons: "Outside door frame wrap peels"

"I bought my 2000 TL new in late 1999 and have only put 73,000 miles on it because of a short work commute and a hubbie who likes to drive his own vehicle for trips. The only time this car has not started right up is twice when it needed new batteries. It's has great acceleration and handling and is very comfortable to sit in and drive. Being geographically challenged, the Nav system has been a blessing! The Nav is easy to use and delivers me to the accurate location. I'll be sorry to sell it but my nephew is bugging me...he wants it next."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura TL near Honolulu. See local deals