2000 Acura TL

Based on 489 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

Still going after 15 years..

By on Thursday, January 8, 2015

Pros: "Very advanced for a 2000, driver-friendly"

Cons: "Notorious Acura slipping transmission"

"Bought this car in 2011 with 130,000 on it. I was pretty happy with it; heated seats and mirrors, navigation, xenon headlamps, Bose audio; this car was quite advanced for 2000. Beautiful color too, White Diamond Pearl. It was running great until recently the fuel pressure regulator and the power train control module started going bad. (Sputters and dies after a lot of start-ups running errands) Besides that, the car has never let me down so far. Pulls very nicely, VTEC sounds glorious with a short ram intake and sport exhaust. I'm going to miss this car when I sell it!"

Bought new and it's best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "still fun to drive 9 years later!!!"

Cons: "original transmission defective"

"Original Transmissions were defective. Acura replaced my original transmission after 8 years a 80000 miles and paid half even thought it was out of warranty. New transmissions have incorporated fix and Acura expects them to last much longer. Car is very peppy and handles well. I've taken good care of my car and it still looks like new inside and out; only problem areas are clock (night illumination has failed 2x) and had to replace radio after it quit working."

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I bought my TL-S used with only 21,000 miles on it. It was love at first sight. But at 36,000 miles my transmission went out. If that wasn't bad enough my transmission went out again 4 months after it had been replaced. I am now on my 3rd transmission and this one is slipping and the dealership has driven it and say that they can not duplicate the problem. And now needless to say my warranty is about to run out in less than 800 miles. Hmm, wonder who is going to replace it after the warranty? Don't get me wrong I love the vehicle and I would joke around saying that I would have to bury the car b/c I was going to drive it in the ground, but someone should realize that obviously something is wrong here. I asked about them extending the warranty only on the transmission as I have only put about 5,000 miles on it since it was replaced and they told me "NO". As much as these vehicles cost, and as nice as they are they still have problems like any other. I will buy another Acura even with the problems."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Monday, May 14, 2012

Pros: "great reliability and best $/mile I have ever had."

Cons: "Wish there was an AWD option."

"I bought with 80k miles, and I am up to 219k. It has had regular routine maintenance, with a couple other small issues (park safety switch, cruise control, cabin fan, CV joints) but it has never had a major problem, never stranded me, and has been close to perfect. Has plenty of get up and go, great handling, good gas mileage, fun to drive with the shiftable automatic."

Stay away

By on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Be aware! Transmissions fail regularly on these models. 2000-2003 Acura TLs have safety recall on them for transmission failing. This is extremely expensive if it is out of the extended warranty range that Acura put out on these. Plus they replace them with rebuild faulty ones and it will happen again within the next 50-60k miles."

Bad tranmission - warning

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I owned this car until very recently but bought it brand new. I did not know the problems I was going to have until after I owned it for three years. Then the fun started. First, an intermitant electrical problem confounded the mechanics. After four attempts it was realized the engine sensor was bad and nothing was wrong with the car. That was a relatively inexpensive $500 repair covered under the extended warranty I purchased. Then, at 63,000 miles the tranmission went. I rescued my wife and drove the car to the dealership in third gear (the only gear working) There we found out we were #8. Number 8 of what? In line for a transmission - there were 7 other Acura TLs in for the same transmission replacement, and it was on back order since they are failing all over the United States on Acura TLs, Acura MDXs, and Honda Accord V6s (they all share the same five speed transmission). After a month of waiting we were finally able to get a $4500 transmission installed. This was also under the extended warranty, which cost about $1200 - well worth it considering the car had $5000 repairs at this point. We were warned that this replaced the transmission, but did not fix the problem as it was still in the new transmission - and to expect it to fail again at double the mileage if our driving habits stayed the same. At 81,000 miles the electrical problem returned, this time it was the oxygen sensor on the engine as well as the engine senor failing a second time. This repair was another $1500 - again under the extended warranty bringing the total to $6500. Immediately after this repair, we sold the car (with the $50 fee to transfer the warranty to the next owner). The warranty was going to run out in 19,000 miles and I did not want to have to pay for repairing a car that had never been super reilable."

horrible transmissions

By on Sunday, September 2, 2007

"these cars look awsome and are very comfortable. the only problem is the transmissions are very prone to failure. acura extended the warranty to 7 years and 100,000 miles. there is a safty recall for the transmissions and there are numerous people who are on there third and fourth transmissions. i will be staying away from acura from now on."

I love my TL

By on Sunday, January 5, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, power and stereo system."

Cons: "2003 model had transmission problems."

"I put a lot of miles on my vehicles and this one has responded extremely well. Very nimble and always ready with a burst of power when needed. The only reason I'm even considering another vehicle is to move more people and pets."

Best car I've ever owned.

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Go for it, you won't be sorry"

Cons: "make sure timing belt was changed"

"Except for some initial teething problems, this is the best car I've ever owned. The car had to have the transmission swapped out at 34,000 miles, but since then, nothing else has broken down on it. Who ever thought the entire exhaust system would last 13 years and 149,000 miles, and still is intact? Ditto, the alternator, radiator, power steering, shock absorbers, etc? My Acura mechanic (who by the way, always asks me to sell my car to him)told me the engine will easily pass 350,000 miles. Go Acura!"

Falling Apart

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"I am the original owner of this '02 TL. Initialy, I loved the car. A great highway cruiser. 28+ mpg on the road. Great sound system. Rode and drove very well. Then, the clearcoat started to turn white. After that, it started to peal off the trunk area, then all over. Very disapointing. The entire car needs repainting. Then the transmission went out. Yes, a new one had to be installed. The front left wheel bearing went out, and the transformer for one of the headlights also. A $880 fix for the headlight at the dealer. I now have more money in the car than it's worth. My 17 yr. old drives it now."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura TL near Honolulu. See local deals