2000 Acura TL

Based on 478 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

I love my TL

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, power and stereo system."

Cons: "2003 model had transmission problems."

"I put a lot of miles on my vehicles and this one has responded extremely well. Very nimble and always ready with a burst of power when needed. The only reason I'm even considering another vehicle is to move more people and pets."

Best car I've ever owned.

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Go for it, you won't be sorry"

Cons: "make sure timing belt was changed"

"Except for some initial teething problems, this is the best car I've ever owned. The car had to have the transmission swapped out at 34,000 miles, but since then, nothing else has broken down on it. Who ever thought the entire exhaust system would last 13 years and 149,000 miles, and still is intact? Ditto, the alternator, radiator, power steering, shock absorbers, etc? My Acura mechanic (who by the way, always asks me to sell my car to him)told me the engine will easily pass 350,000 miles. Go Acura!"

Great quality, space and dependability

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Comfort/Style Sunroof!!"

Cons: "Hot leather seats"

"I bought mine used in 2005 with 75k already on the odometer and I haven't regretted it! I have driven this car into the ground and it is still a dependable work horse. Commute 300miles per week plus the frequent trips to San Antonio and Albuquerque. The only flaws I can think of is that the back seat belts are made to fit tiny people and the black leather is not fun in the summer. I have kept up with suggested maintenance but I rarely use the suggested 91 octane fuel, this may or may not affect my mpg but it helps my pocket book. I will need new car soon but this one has treated me too well to pick anything else with certainty."

Stay away

By on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Be aware! Transmissions fail regularly on these models. 2000-2003 Acura TLs have safety recall on them for transmission failing. This is extremely expensive if it is out of the extended warranty range that Acura put out on these. Plus they replace them with rebuild faulty ones and it will happen again within the next 50-60k miles."

Bad tranmission - warning

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I owned this car until very recently but bought it brand new. I did not know the problems I was going to have until after I owned it for three years. Then the fun started. First, an intermitant electrical problem confounded the mechanics. After four attempts it was realized the engine sensor was bad and nothing was wrong with the car. That was a relatively inexpensive $500 repair covered under the extended warranty I purchased. Then, at 63,000 miles the tranmission went. I rescued my wife and drove the car to the dealership in third gear (the only gear working) There we found out we were #8. Number 8 of what? In line for a transmission - there were 7 other Acura TLs in for the same transmission replacement, and it was on back order since they are failing all over the United States on Acura TLs, Acura MDXs, and Honda Accord V6s (they all share the same five speed transmission). After a month of waiting we were finally able to get a $4500 transmission installed. This was also under the extended warranty, which cost about $1200 - well worth it considering the car had $5000 repairs at this point. We were warned that this replaced the transmission, but did not fix the problem as it was still in the new transmission - and to expect it to fail again at double the mileage if our driving habits stayed the same. At 81,000 miles the electrical problem returned, this time it was the oxygen sensor on the engine as well as the engine senor failing a second time. This repair was another $1500 - again under the extended warranty bringing the total to $6500. Immediately after this repair, we sold the car (with the $50 fee to transfer the warranty to the next owner). The warranty was going to run out in 19,000 miles and I did not want to have to pay for repairing a car that had never been super reilable."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura TL near Honolulu. See local deals