1996 Acura RL

9.5

Based on 200 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

9.7/10

2001 Acura RL 340,000 miles...

By on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, Comfort, High Quality Interior"

Cons: "Gas Mileage & Takes Premium"

"Still on the original engine and transmission. Only maintenance I've had to do is tires, brakes and timing belt. Smoothest suspension out there! These cars run forever!"

Great ride-very dependable-trouble free

By on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"I think this is the best car I have ever owned. It has 203000 miles and still rides great. Never had an engine problem. This car is the third Acura I have owned and I plan to buy another when I finally decide to trade the RL."

Fabulous car. Requires only minor maintenance.

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "Understated elegance. dependable car"

"A wonderful luxury car that drives like new and still looks fabulous.Very comfortable. We have had only minor maintenance performed. Wish I could finda brand new car as good as my 97 AcuraRL. Best car I have ever owned over the past 50 years."

Best car I ever owned

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

"135,000 miles, nine years old, and it drives like a new car. Anybody who buys this car used for $5-$7K is stealing it."

Most reliable car bar none.

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "Ride, build quality, engine snarl in acceleration"

Cons: "handling! middling fuel economy"

"I was handed down this car from my dad. He got it used from a dealership after lease. If you take care of this car, it will take care of you. My dad said he bought it because of initial reliability ratings were extremely high and they were spot on. Aside from a few minor things and preventative maintenance, the engine/trans has never needed any work. The ride quality is sublime. As quiet as any car sold today, if not better. no squeaks or rattles whatsoever. And this car was driven on some tough roads at highway speeds. Easily the most solid built car I've ever driven. This was one of the last cars truly built in Japan, which is a cool fact to share. The car weighs almost 2 tons. It makes for an excellent highway warrior if you drive those types of roads a lot. Performance wise this car is decently quick in a straight line. It's got a single cam 3.5 liter V6. The most enjoyable thing is the wonderful engine note under acceleration. But as soon as you approach a corner you find the fatal flaw: staggering understeer. This is due to the weight and soft suspension. Also note that this car gets pretty mediocre gas mileage. I average 18 around town, you can get up to 24 on the highway if you control your foot and keep the speed around 65. This car could benefit from a 5th gear. This is also not a car for driving enthusiasts. The boosted steering transmits very little road feel and little feedback. The car does not wander but steering feel is just not involving at all. That's okay because this car isn't geared towards that. The car itself looks quite nice in person, pictures make it look a bit more bloated than it is. A lower ride height would improve the look but there are many downsides to that. If you want a car that will wow your neighbors or keep up with BMWs in the twisties, this car is not for you. But if you want a luxury car that will offer many years of undying service with reasonable maintenance costs, this just might be worth checking out."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura RL near Honolulu. See local deals