• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Acura RDX Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $35,809 - $36,868.

10/7.7

8.4

Based on 40 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Outstanding

By on Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Pros: "Priced right, fun to drive, good looking."

Cons: "Taking a while to learn the technology."

"Very competent, reliable, crisp ride, and nice to look at. Will use around town, on trips, and for everyday use. Affordable luxury. Powerful engine, fun to drive. Handles well. Loaded with the WOW's at an affordable price. Honda reliability. Previously only bought Toyota's."

Like it, but don't LOVE it

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Great pick-up/acceleration, comfortable front seat"

Cons: "No rear air vents, outdated Navigation system"

"I've been a Honda or Acura owner for more than 20 years and love the brand, consequently didn't do a lot of detailed shopping around when it came time to purchase my next vehicle. This is my first move from sporty to crossover, so am having some personal adjustment. PROS: Great pick-up/acceleration Comfortable front seats Better than expected gas mileage CONS: No rear seat/compartment air vents, consequently difficult to cool in the Texas summer sun just due to volume of air to cool with only the front vents. Navigation system was 15 months out of date at purchase. I regularly drive on a relatively new toll road that opened in Oct. 2012, but is not noted on a Nov. 2013 purchase. The a/v system automatically records CDs to the hard drive and it's somewhat cumbersome to stop the recording, which has to be done at every stop/start of play time. I drive a lot (500 mi/week) and listen to a lot of audio books, and find this feature frustrating."

Owned since July 4, 2014

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "Good price, drives well, good turning ratio"

Cons: "Could have more technology"

"After owning 3 Infiniti's (QX4, FX 35 x 2), and encountering a very difficult environment at the local Infiniti dealers, I gave up on "brand loyalty" and began to look elsewhere. The local Acura dealer treated me a million times better! The trade was easy, the price was negotiated to include several options, and add ons. Compared to my Infiniti, the Acura is NOT as luxurious--but it was also $20K less out the door! I can afford a bit less luxury for the savings. Vehicle interior is the color I wanted, the sound system is NOT as good as the Bose system--but $20K less (remember?), and the technology package isn't quite up with the MOST recent technological innovations (the Infiniti QX50/60/70) had much more technology. But $20K less, remember?"

Back with Acura

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "Nice looking, Good leg room front and back."

Cons: "No air conditioned seats, No backup warning system"

"Traded in the MKX and went back to Acura. My wife and I both say it's fun to drive. Better gas mileage then the Lincoln."

A Major Disappointment!

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "A powerful engine"

Cons: "No AC in back, no park sensors, no blind spot, no"

"We wanted to like the car but it really is just a loaded Honda CR-V with bigger engine at the end of the day. This car lacks all of the features of actual luxury SUV's, such as blind spot monitor, cross traffic sensor, lane swerve, accident avoidance mechanism, backup and forward parking sensors, a modern display, etc. It looks like Acura/Honda has been sleeping for the past ten years, compared to all of its competition. You even have to pay another $4,000 and get the 'navigation' model just to get a tailgate lift, something even a Ford Escape or Hyundai will give you. And to add insult to injury, there is no AC in the back. I don't know what Honda/Acura is thinking. A Ford Escape or Hyundai will give you more than this car, and for a lot less. Needless to say we passed on this CRV, eh I mean RDX!"

It's Just OK

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Not much and just OK."

Cons: "Front seat is very uncomfortable, ride is lousy."

"Purchased the vehicle new and overall think it's a decent SUV. The ride is a bit choppy compared to my previous used 2006 Audi A-4 and at 30K miles have experienced some unusual engine and drive train maintenance issues. Luckily, it's still under warranty. I initially liked the body styling, but not as much now. The vehicle offered less modern technology than the comparable Honda CRV, but the CRV's styling was awful. Relative price for the Acura was definitely at the luxury level, no real discounts from the dealer. I have used three different dealers for scheduled maintenance due to moving around the country and find them consistent and professional. I am on the fence whether I would recommend the car to a family member or friend. It lost about 10K in value over the first 18 months of ownership, so I would take a bath with a dealer trade or private sale. One recall so far. However, I don't expect to spend the big bucks that my 2006 Audi cost to maintain. Another odd thing about the vehicle is front parking it with the nose first. It tracks funny. Also the vehicle is a super tight fit between a standard garage door. Next vehicle for me might be a Honda, but surely won't be an Acura. I look forward to unloading it in 2-3 years."

Great Ride & Value

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Pros: "Nice drive, sound system, love the size!"

Cons: "No blindspot/land departure warning"

"I researched a tremendous amount before pulling the plug and buying this vehicle. Giving up the blind spot monitoring was huge for me, but when I looked at other vehicles and prices, this made my budget happy. Ended up with the tech package and I'm just getting used to everything-a little overwhelming but enjoyable. I wish it had a bigger sunroof that extended back further (came from a vehicle with a panoramic roof), and the blind spot/lane departure safety measure; other than that I love the radius of the turns-very tight and easy. Purchase is a very simple procedure, there are 4 choices that are very simplified. Looked at a Volvo X60 and the buying choices were overwhelming (so many engine types and packages) but when it came down to it gas mileage and the rear seat were a huge factor in deciding. If you're on the fence do your homework."

First Time Acura Owner

By on Sunday, June 08, 2014

Pros: "looks,comfort, mpg,"

Cons: "teck pkg not worth 4k"

"The SUV hit all my check marks when i researched my new vehicle and it was a smart choice for my wife and I.Looks,comfort,mpg,saftey,bang for my bucks,sound system,and a consumer reports "best buy" for compact luxury."

Excellent small luxury SUV

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Great ride, look and feel"

Cons: "Tech Package, especially the Navigation Sys."

"For the past year we have enjoyed our RDX while driving to Florida and into the Midwest. Very comfortable seats, nice ambiance and well-positioned instrumentation. Only problem has been left-rear shock absorber, dealer fixed it. Use regular gas with no problems. My primary complaint is the navigation system is inaccurate 20% of the time and does not have a touch screen. Interesting that Acura and Lexus still use the old manual knob to select word characters, sort of like searching on Netflix. Would not pay $4K again for the Tech Pkg. Get a Garman GPS with free updates, etc. Otherwise we like the car:)"

Nice smaller SUV but..

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Price, styling, handling and performance"

Cons: "More imagination for the "little things" ."

"I test drove the 2014 RDX (AWD Tech package) twice. It is a very nice handling SUV and it is gorgeous. It very well may be the best in its class in virtually every area. My problem is one of personal taste. I am annoyed no end that Acura seems to "cut corners" where their competition doesn't. In general there are not enough exterior colors--no blue, no green, etc. Is this for cost-savings? Or is this the result of some unimaginative stylist? The problem also extends to interior colors. The Basque Red exterior, for example, can only be purchased with one interior color--parchment. I am also bothered by the fact that the RDX does not have a dual, chrome-tipped exhaust. Its big brother the MDX does and all its competitors do. So why not the RDX? Let's see a bit more imagination and a little less concern over "nickel and dime" expenses. This is a great looking, quality SUV and with a few minor changes it could be much nicer."

Built a decade too late

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Nimble ride, smooth power"

Cons: "Fit and finish, sound system, nav system."

"This car is nimble and smooth. But for $40,000, it should be so much more. It barely started when the weather got cold. That's when you need it to start the most. First time through the car wash, the sunroof leaked, spraying me with water. So much for fit and finish. It has a sound system that was designed to link with Blackberrys. Who has those anymore? I have an iPhone, and the thing will not consistently sync. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It has a hard drive that you can load CDs onto, but not MP3 files. CDs? Who uses those things anymore? I guess people who use Blackberrys do. And the Nav system? It's so bad it should be fraudulent for them to sell it. So as long as you're driving around and you know where you're going, listening to an FM radio station (or Sirius), and it doesn't rain, you'll like this car."

VCM Problems

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

"Bought a 2014 RDX. After approximatley 500 miles noticed a major vibration. Took the unit into the dealership, and they informed us of a service bulletin that the drive shaft should be replaced to take care of the problem. Problem is still present after the replacement of the driveshaft. I then contacted Acura. After several days the Client Relationship Manager stated the following: -Dealer ran the vehicle without the VCM connected,and the vibration went away -Vibration is within tolerance -Nothing more that Acura can do -The Variable Cylinder Management is the cause of the vibration"

Disappointed fist time Acura owner

By on Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Pros: "Looks, performance, nav system, audio system,"

Cons: "Noise at high speed, and (VCM) vibration issue"

"I owned the 2014 RDX since June of this year. This is my first Acura and I loved the features and handling of the RDX. I chose the RDX because it cheaper and looks classier than the Q5 and X3. There had been a problem with vibration since mid November. This is the exact same vibration problem by reviewer "Disappointed So Far". I took it to the dealer and they've confirmed that the vibration is due to the (VCM) variable cylinder management system. When the system is engaged it caused vibration in the front end and you can feel it. The dealer told me Acura is working on a dampening system which won't be ready until February."

Disappointed So Far

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Rear leg room, sound system, driver's seat comfort"

Cons: "Vibration, road noise, rear suspension"

"Bought this car to replace my Audi Q5. I thought it represented a good value - similar options and performance for about $5000 less. Soon after I bought it, I noticed an annoying vibration in the drive train at certain speeds and 1500 RPM. Checking various websites, I found other owners had the same complaint. Yesterday I took the car back to the dealer. They contacted Acura and were told that the vibration is within manufacturer specs but that Acura is working on a vibration dampening system to remedy the problem. If you do a lot driving between 35-50 mph I would not buy this car until the problem is fixed."

Performance, ride, comfort & style.

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "Driver experience--handling, acceleration, etc."

Cons: "A bit spartan in/out."

"I previously owned a 2005 Acura TL and a 2005 BMW X5. This vehicle gives me the advantages of both. Easier in/out than the low slung TL but just as good driver experience. All the advantages of the heavier BMW X5 without the maintenance worries and far better fuel economy. Faster, too. I wish it were a little more luxury appointed."

Reliable, fuel efficient, driver comfort

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "good gas mileage, reliable, comfort"

Cons: "no passenger seat height adjustment"

"Have owned the RDX for a year,- Have tech package. Driven over 30k miles. Driver's seat comfortable, good visibility. Mostly hiway miles- 25mpg. Wish vehicle had blind spot indicators and alerts when backing up (despite having camera). Needs passenger seat height adjustment-only goes front to back. Overall- very happy with vehicle- would purchase again"

My MDX replacement

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "A fun drive yet very practical"

Cons: "blind spot sensors"

"This 2014 RDX has replaced my 20008 MDX the best vehicle I've ever owned. After 94,000 miles and only fluid changes, 1 set of brake pads, and 1 set of tires I replaced my car with some trepidation however the new RDX has proven thus far to be a more than adequate successor. I really enjoy the 6 speed tranny with the paddle shifters for a sportier drive, I also enjoy the upgraded camera for parking and the navy is quite cool with the upgraded voice command functions. The improved gas mileage is an added bonus on a vehicle this size. When my friends complain about repairs on their Volvos ,BMW, Jeeps, etc... I simply just smile."

Very Solid Car

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

"approaching 2,000 miles on this car and so far (have had car since the end of July) and in my opinion, this car is excellent. I tested several cars and read tons of reviews on every CUV/SUV below and above it's class (Rogue, Escape, Rav4, CX-5, even though Q5). I felt that for the money and reliability the Acura RDX was the way to go. Car is very good looking - we get lots of compliments. It's drives very smoothly and it's extremely quiet. We just had our first mini-road trip this past weekend and it was really an enjoyable ride...smooth, quiet, etc. It almost feels like the car glides. Anyone who's been in the car says the same thing. Awesome drive... The inside is bigger than I remember it being when I tested it. Very comfortable in the front and the back seat has plenty of room for passengers. Very good trunk space too. Overall, it's a got a nice plush feel to it. Love the sun roof and I think the stereo is very good and I'm a stereo snob. Leather seats are really nice and comfortable. We do a good amount of highway driving...prob about 50 miles per day during the week (we live in the Northeast) and normal city driving the week. Right now, we're at approx 24mpg and its slowly rising. I'm expecting to be somewhere bw 23-25mpg when it all shakes out. Overall, my feeling was/is...when you go with a brand like Acura...it's not a sexy car because it's very plain, but it's good looking, drives very well, and its something you can rely on."

Wife loves it

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Looks, stereo, good size."

Cons: "Ride could be a bit stiffer, wobbles down the road"

"Ride a little bouncy, make sure you have your lumbar support turned up or you could get a sore back."

Enjoy this car

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "Price, quiet ride, fuel economy"

Cons: "tilt wheel"

"I drive plenty of miles and have been happy with fuel economy. Wish the steering wheel has a better tilt mechanism but not the end of the world. Trans shifts often at low speeds. I look forward to driving this vehicle for many more miles!"

best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "great on gas - a lot of power when needed"

"Didn't think I would ever like driving a car more than the honda prelude I had but the RDX is so easy to drive and so comfortable. The mileage has been great. We have driven this car all over California up to 9 hours in a day and have loved every minute. My husband prefers driving it over his MDX. Almost bought the Lexus Rx so glad I didn't waste the extra $10,000!"

What a great CUV

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "V6 engine,tech features,quality feel."

"I did a lot of test driving before I decided on the RDX. I am extremely happy with my choice. You can feel quality car, from the first time you get in. Pound for pound, it takes out BMW,Volvo,Audi.It is at the top of Consumer Report in it's class."

Buyer Beware - Do you like washboards?

By on Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pros: "Good acceleration and fuel efficiency"

Cons: "After broken in, RATTLES w cruise on"

"Cute car. Dealer said mileage would improve after it's 'broken in'. Reality is that after it's broken in the fuel efficiency created when the cylinders shut down causes the car to vibrate/rattle/shudder. It's a nightmare and the factory CAN'T fix it, 'it's how the car runs'. If you don't use your cruise control and don't maintain a steady speed this may not be a problem for you (i.e., the cylinders won't go into fuel efficient mode). If you're like me and use the cruise control consistently, you may wish someone else had written this review and shared the secret. Best part is you won't feel it on the test drive, or on a low mileage loaner, the problem doesn't surface until the car has a few thousand miles on it. BUYER BEWARE"

Hoping this car is reliable!

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Good quiet V6 engine"

Cons: "Missing a power tilt telescopic steering wheel."

"Purchased the car is May 2013. Overall is a good practical car compare to other in this class. Enough power and room for family of 4. Performance & handling is just a tad below european luxury. Not as luxurious compare to a Lexus (RX350), but it is accepatble. The rear seat entry is a bit difficult for entry/ exit, because the way Acura designs the door frame. Wish Acura would include a power tilt telescopic steering wheel for this price (2014 RDX AWD + Tech). I need to adjust the steering wheel every time after my wife uses the car."

A Great Blend of Comfort, Performance and Value

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "Power, Economy, Nice Design, Good Value"

Cons: "Sluggish shifting, Ride a Bit Firm"

"The RDX has a powerful V-6 engine that accelerates quickly and smoothly but gets the advertised 28 mpg highway and 20mpg city. Paddle shifters are both practical and fun. Manual downshifting -- for sudden slowdowns in traffic or on mountain roads -- saves on brake wear and gives you something to do if you miss not having a stick shift. Steering is reasonably tight and the RDX handles almost like a small car. Shifting can be a bit sluggish, and the ride is firm rather than silky smooth. But the overall feel is of a high-quality vehicle designed to balance comfort and performance. The leather seats are beautifully made and very comfortable. Storage space is ample. Controls are easy to use and automatic A/C, Bluetooth and USB audio all work well. The cabin is nicely designed, feels spacious and is very quiet. It's a nice place to be on short or long hauls. The RDX is less flashy than the BMW, Audi or Cadillac but its classic lines will probably wear better. It comes with standard features (moon roof, leather, backup camera etc.) that cost extra on its competitors. After 4500 miles I'm very satisfied with my RDX."