2015 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $44,561 - $47,689.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 09/29/2016

10/8.5

7.4

Based on 58 Ratings for the 2014 - 2017 models.

7.6/10
Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Very good, but not excellent

By on Thursday, August 25, 2016

Pros: "Powerful, and quiet"

Cons: "Complicated instrument panel"

"Over all great vehicle, comfortable, very quiet, very quick and powerful. I don't seem to have problem with 9 speed transmission like some previous reviewers. There are 3 modes and yes when you set it to S and sport mode it becomes little jerky, or other could say quite sporty. My wife and I test drove Infinity QX60 and both couldn't stand the CVT performance. I do agree with some other ones about the quality. I mean it's not a cheap feel, but I would expect less Honda feel more Acura (luxury) feel. QX60 felt more luxurious. Fuel economy is great so far."

Almost Perfect SUV

By on Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Pros: "Great blend of luxury, technology, and performance"

Cons: "Nothing major"

"Traded our 2007 MDX Tech for the 2016 Advance model. The 2016 is much quieter and rides more comfortably but we miss the crisp handling/steering of the 2007. Otherwise we are very pleased with our purchase and very happy with the suite of new safety features. Highway mileage on recent road trip was impressive at 27 mpg. A few minor quibbles. Learning all the new technology takes a deep dive into the 400-page on-line manual since the abbreviated version that comes with the car doesn't explain much. Not wild about the push button transmission but eventually got the hang of it. Going thru a car wash is tricky since the transmission will automatically engage P when the engine is shut off. Also the idle stop can be annoying but fortunately that feature can be disabled."

Great vehicle but a few quirks

By on Thursday, March 26, 2015

Pros: "Love the looks"

Cons: "question quality"

"I absolutely love the appearance and interior of the MDX. It handles nicely although I've driven older MDX's and felt like they were more "solid." I would like more power, acceleration. As others have mentioned, the screen for Ac/heating, audio, etc is not user friendly. It takes at least 2 steps just to turn the fan up. I've had my vehicle about 18 months and it's been in the shop three times for recalls and/or warranty work. I expected better quality from Acura. My husband's 6 year old GMC truck has only been in the twice. I went with the MDX over BMW X5 thinking it was of better quality but now I'm not so sure. That being said, it is easy to drive, park and I really like the looks."

Loved my 2009 and 2012 MDX but 2016 is a loser.

By on Sunday, December 13, 2015

Reason: Terrible Car

Pros: "Hugh amount of tech features."

Cons: "Transmission and Nav/Media screens"

"My two prior MDXs were great so I only did a short test drive of the 2016 AWD Tech...big mistake...I had too much faith in Acura. The new 9 speed transmission is a disaster giving short, noisy and lurching shifts from a stop...slow response to downshifting when slowing on a downhill using the paddle shifters. I could not get comfortable with the button gear shift. The two screens are hard to read in sunlight and the touch screen finger prints make it even worse. At 1900 miles I decided to trade it on a BMW X5 but the same dealer offered $12,600 less than the msrp on trade-in....so much for fair treatment of a repeat customer. If you look at this MDX do a weekend test and pay attention to the above."

2014 Acura MDX

By on Monday, July 11, 2016

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Navi is slow to bootup, bluetooth"

"I have owned my 2014 MDX Advance for 3 years. This is my 3rd Acura MDX. Just purchased another 2017 MDX ADV. My 14 MDX is trouble free. Acura could do a better job with the Navi and Bluetooth. Voice recognition w SIRI eye in the 17 MDX is a big plus. I would definitely recommend this brand. I had a BMW X5 that spent more time in the shop than on the road."

Best Honda ever

By on Friday, November 8, 2013

Pros: "ride, quietness power handlig comfort"

Cons: "complex controls"

"I have owned 14 ACuras and Hondas through the years. I can confidently say this is the best Acura to date. It has only one "defect" a complicated audio/Navy system. Its not that its illogical but rather that it has so many capabilities and functions that setting everything up takes an evening or two, once that is surmounted it works great. Everything else on this vehicle is good to excellent, quietest Honda ever made, best Honda automatic transmission, excellent audio, powerful and superbly refined engine, excellent handling, smooth ride, good fuel economy, best headlights in the market, extraordinarily comfortable seats, improved interior space. Though the third row is still for kids, adults can not only fit in a pinch they can also climb back there without being a certified yogi! Without a doubt the benchmark of the midsize luxury SUV's."

The 2015 MDX failed as a premium car

By on Thursday, April 23, 2015

"I purchased my 2015 MDX all-wheel drive with tech pack in December 2014. Got it in black on black. The car looks really nice with the jewel lights and has really nice curves. The interior appeared well appointed and good quality on first impression. However, after owning the car for 4 months and after 2,000 miles on the tachometer, I have come to a different conclusion. The first impression did not stand the test of time. Here are the things I have noticed: The pros first: - Very nice styling. You can see a little Q7 in the front, a little Porsche Cayenne in the rear roof lines and some of the old MDX carryover. - Top safety ratings from both institutions - Spacious mid-size crossover - Strong engine…quick acceleration for a car this size The cons: - Door panel alignment issues. The rear passenger doors show noticeable alignment gap…the doors sticks out more than the panel and the tailgate are off center creating a big gap on the left side - Chirping engine noise. Took car to dealer, the mechanic confirmed the noise, but claimed that he hears that noise on other MDXs as well…told me to check back later when Honda has identified a fix for it. Reading the MDXer forum, others have the same issues and they believe it’s the water pulley misalignment that cause the chirping noise…will bring up to the dealer at next oil change. - Spongy brakes. You can really feel the weight of the car during braking and it takes more foot pressure to stop the car i.e., compared to the Lexus RX. - Grinding steering wheel noise when making big turns at parking lots. Dealer claimed that all MDX makes that noise and that its normal for that car. - Hollow doors…can be easily pushed in with your fingertips at the inside door hinge area. It might be due to thinner materials for the sake of weight saving. My sister’s Highlander and my Honda accord doors feels much more solid from inside. - Clunking noise from the rear suspension, which is echo through the rear compartment area. I suspect that the rear end is too light. Similar like a truck, the suspension is mounted directly to the frame instead to a suspension tower like in the previous generation MDX. When I have a gown up person sitting in the second row, the clunking noise almost becomes unnoticeable. My friend owns a truck and he always has a few bags of dirt in the back of the truck for the same reasons. - Electric system is sensitive to cold weather. On one occasion in January when the temperature was sub 30F all system lights turned, but went away when weather warm up a few days later. I think more or less most cars have some minor issues; however some of the issues identified in the 2015 MDX are more than minor. Frankly I was expecting more from the MDX after paying 50k for it (including Chicago city tax). I am partially mad at myself for not doing a better job on inspecting the car at dealership. I let my guard down because the car got raving reviews by many car reviewers and on YouTube…thought it’s the best value proposition…what can go wrong, right? My advice for future MDX buyers, don’t just rely on expert opinion, as they usually spend only a few hours behind the wheel of the car. They seldom look at build quality in great details. You can definitely avoid my mistake as most of the issues listed above could have been identified if I had spent more time inspecting. Also ask the sales person to let you alone with the car. They can be distracting you from seeing build quality flaws or hearing unusual noises. Finally, I would also advise new car buys to check out the Highlander. In my opinion it’s as good of a car and 14k cheaper. Waiting for the Honda Pilot might be also worthwhile…it will come out this fall. It shares the same platform with the MDX, basically has the same engine, transmission, suspension, safety feature, etc. for much less. The only difference is the brand name. I my view, an Acura is a marked up Honda. It failed to distinguish itself from Honda technologically. The performance, build quality and materials do not truly distinguish from Honda. In fact, Honda quality has been more consistent over time. This is my first and last Acura, but I would not rule out a Honda product in the future."

Poor Quality

By on Friday, March 27, 2015

Pros: "Creature comforts"

Cons: "Quality that is far from Acura standards."

"I have owned 5 previous MDXs. I purchased expecting the same quality. What a disappointment. Car has been back to the dealer five times in the first 2,000 miles (it has had $4,500 of factory parts and labor to date). They finally had to contact Acura to find out the main computer processor is a problem. It was replaced and now there are only intermittent problems. Safety features go off for no reason. Bluetooth is sporadic. In any turning situation combined with braking the suspension creaks and groans. There is considerable transmission noise and awkward premature or delayed shifts. The consolation is that on the highway it is an extremely comfortable road vehicle. Creature comforts are excellent."

Comparative Value

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Tech Package, sound system and spacious cabin"

Cons: "No touch screen Nav, Adaptive CC should be incl."

"I strongly suggest that if you are in market for an SUV you test drive this vehicle. I've been doing my research for roughly six months. I've stacked it up against the Q60, Audi Q7,BMW 5, Mercedes 350 and Lexus RX - If you just want a status symbol for north of $55K be my guest. The MDX blends fuel economy, safety and other features into a well balanced package. It's not perfect, no vehicle is but for value for your dollar you can't beat it if your looking to buy a luxury badge."

Great value

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Value, comfortable, good ride, quiet"

Cons: "Interior controls, navigation system"

"As many of the previous reviews have mentioned, this vehicle offers quite a bit of features for the $$. My wife and I sold my beloved 2010 GTI for a family vehicle and tossed around between the Forester and the RDX before test driving the MDX and just fell in love with it. There are some downsides as the interior controls takes a little getting used to. Acura's decision to remove the numerous amount of buttons - while looks great when the car is shut off - doesn't work so well when trying to make simple adjustments (such as changing the seat warmers). The sub-menus to operate just about every single everyday-use features is a little annoying. The navigation is not very impressive. If it wasn't bundled with the tech package, I would continue to use Waze on my phone. Pandora is a nice feature, but when the car connects to my phone to access Pandora, running other applications (such as Waze on my phone) is near impossible. It's like all resources from the phone is used up to maintain the link with the car. But aside from these negatives (all pertaining to the infotainment system), it's really hard to find many faults with this vehicle. It's a relatively quiet cabin and very smooth. When necessary, it has enough power to maneuver around traffic. I LOVE the cargo space. When all of the seats folded down, it provides a flat surface, which I love! The cabin is nicely dampened, so phone calls via bluetooth while on the highway is not a challenge. The seats are plush and very comfortable and while it would have been smart to integrate some simple controls into the center console, the enormous compartments makes up for it. I also use the rubber-stripped surface to place my handheld devices while driving; it grips the device without having to put it away so it doesn't slide around. Spend the additional for the AWD (love the system!) The Wash DC area got a little bit of ice/sleet/snow and my wife and I had a blast shopping while majority of the people were taking shelter at their homes. What would I do to improve this car? [1] Wider tires (at least 255). Haven't taken this car on any long highway rides, but the ride quality at high speeds is something I miss from my GTI. The 245s are not terrible, but it's a luxury car; it should go a little above what's necessary. [2] Please fix the infotainment system. Just make it intuitive for drivers. Copy the Germans!"

2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD is BEAUTY WITH BRAINS..

By on Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Pros: "Features, fun to drive, aerodynamic look Headlight"

Cons: "Infotainment screen takes time to get used to.."

"This is my first Acura MDX.me and my family loves it....I had researched few other luxury SUVs before buying especially Audi Q7, Infinity QX60 and BMW X5...Trust me after thorough research and test driving all, MDX is simply value for money....It drives so elegantly, really fun to ride in it...The interior and exterior luxurious features combo makes it best in the class for the price. I went for SH-AWD which is simply awesome in handling curves and all weather types from my experience of driving in rain. I bough Advance and Entertainment packages which has everything you can ever think of regarding safety, technology and luxury....Looking forward to many many years of superb driving experience in this ultra good 2016 MDX..."

Best Value in class for my needs

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Power, SH-AWD, acceleration, comfort"

Cons: "hard to use navigation system"

"I bought this to downsize from a Suburban now that the kids are grown. I wanted something that would still pull the boat, carry 7 people (on rare occasions), and had a spirited driving experience. I test drove competing SUV's by Mercedes Lexus, BMW, and Infinity and this came out on top because of the driving experience, acceleration, gas mileage, handling, size, towing capacity (5,000 lbs with AWD and towing package) and price point. I researched other options (Buick, Jeep, Mazda, Volvo, VW), but they didn't have everything I was looking for. After driving my MDX for 3 months, I am very happy with the decision. I highly recommend the SH-AWD and Tech package because it truly enhances the driving experience (I also added entertainment pkg). I think the Advanced package is mostly overkill, but if an extra 5K+ doesn't bother you, go for it. The car is quiet and handles about as close to a sports car as an SUV can get (SH-AWD does make a difference). The faults are commonly pointed out and I agree....driver seat adjustment may not work for short drivers and the NAV system interface is complicated. (these are the main reasons for 9's instead of 10's in my rating) Overall, I would still make the same purchase today and I have no regrets."

Best SUV I have ever owned or driven

By on Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pros: "Amazing car, great price and value."

Cons: "None really."

"This is hands down the best midsize luxury I have owned or driven. I purchased this after test driving the BMW X5, Audi Q7, Q5, and the Lincoln MKX. The BMW is more of a performance vehicle, it handles the roads great and great driving experience, more expensive than the Acura. Great SUV not for me. The Audi Q7 was just to big and it rides big. Maybe its the long wheelbase but it just seem to big. It handles great and has a great driving experience but just too big for me. The Lincoln I like the least, I actually test drive the Ford Edge and liked it better than the Lincoln. The Audi Q5 is an exceptional car and I really had a hard time choosing between this SUV and the Acura. My wife loved the Acura slightly more than the Q5. It came down to size and we were not ready to downsize just yet. I really like the Q5. The MDX does everything well and for the right price. The 2014 is a dream to drive. It is super quiet, it handles bumps in the road perfectly. Great passing speed and acceleration. Every time I drive another car and get back into the MDX I am amazed on how great this car is. The touch screen that people complain about is very easy to use. I also have a 2006 BMW 550i and the idrive is very, very difficult to use and learn. The only people who can't learn to use this in the MDX don't own a computer, iPhone or any smart phone. I am 56 years old and the touch screen in the MDX is very simple to use. I took out a Lexus RX350 the other day and i still prefer the MDX. Every one has a preference but IMHO this has to be one of the best SUV on the planet."

no dealer support.

By on Saturday, July 16, 2016

Pros: "shawd great, comfortable,roomy"

Cons: "no horsepower,too many problems"

"mdx is underpowered to get better fuel mileage. heating and air conditioning venting are designed poorly. your legs freeze in the winter.cd reader works maybe 50% of time. drives well, advanced sensors great safety feature. dealership will not fix anything, makes tons of excuses.my fifth mdx and my last going to trade in on a brand that cares."

Very much enjoy our new Acura MDX.

By on Friday, November 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun To Drive. Competitive Price. Acura Quality."

Cons: "Premium Gas Required"

"We very much enjoy our 2014 Acura MDX. It is the first Acura/Honda we have owned and so far we are pleased. It has a comfortable, quite ride and when desired can accelerate well and seams sporty to drive. The options and features of the base model vs. others that we looked at are superior and the overall cost was better. The interior is inviting and the seats are very supportive for longer trips. We have had occasions where we have used the third row for teenagers, and though probably not great for long trips, worked well when needed. With the third row folded there is plenty of cargo room. This week we received our first snow fall of the year, and the MDX (AWD)handled very well and felt secure in both driving and stopping. Fuel economy is good for this type of vehicle. So far we have had no mechanical issues and with Acura/Honda's reputation for quality, we don't anticipate problems in that regard. We are happy with our decision to buy this car."

PRICELESS! BEST VEHICLE W/ TREMENDOUS ADDED-VALUE

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Price, Luxury, User Friendly, Intuituve"

"Just brought home my new acura mdx 2014 for my darling wifey & she was blown away the moment she cast her eyes on it! I was torn apart between QX60(JX35) & this one but, when I added all the features which came with MDX it was not even close. I also compared the tech package features with BMW X5 & AUDI Q7 …& cost of the same went apx 60K+ …..Until today I didn't believe Acura could provide such luxury statement partly, because it's always priced so low compared to competition. All I can say this is my second best investment after my humble abode which we recently purchased. MUST BUY!!! NO BRAINER!!"

Pros are great - 3 or 4 big cons for me

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Safety, handling,comfort,blue tooth, safety camera"

Cons: "Gps inadequate, no spare tire, no power mirrors."

"Purchased a 2104 MDX w the technology pkg. First let me talk about the positives - beautiful, inside and out. Love the new headlight design. Love the lines of the car.Very quick response; comfortable, quiet. Like the rear view camera, blue tooth, blind spot alert. Memory seat. Pretty roomy, although the 3rd seat is pretty cramped. You can lay all the seats down flat, and that gives you a lot of cargo space. It has a small compartment in the back where you can "hide" some things, and they will stay out of sight, and not roll around in the back. Ok - Negatives: Because I'm a real estate broker, I def wanted my next car to have a good GPS system. This one is complicated and sub par. I would venture to say that 60% of the addresses I try to put in won't come up! even my own home address, and I live in an established neighborhood. I actually had to put in a different address on my street because it wouldn't give me the option of adding my own (only the letters or numbers that it has programmed as viable light up). I actually bring my iPad along because it's more accurate. (I spent a lot less on my iPad than the car!) when I spoke with the dealership to see if there was an update, they told me I had the latest one. Bummer. It does have voice activation - unfortunately it's like Siri - doesn't usually sync to what your asking for, so pretty worthless. Also - vehicle does not have power mirrors ( you have to get the tech AND entertainment pkg to receive that feature!) well - being that this was a $40k plus car, and pretty much power everything else, I just assumed that it would have power mirrors, so it wasn't even on my radar to ask or confirm prior to purchasing. Given our parking situation - this is something I used everyday on my old car. The other item I didn't realize is that there is no spare tire. Of course they have wonderful roadside assistance, and you can purchase a spare if you want one - but it is not included when you buy the car. It has some kind of air compressor/patch seal kit, with another book of instructions. I love the look of this car - I love the safety features, the handling, the comfort - but I am very disappointed in the cons that I've mentioned - so much so that had I known - I would not have purchased it. If those features aren't important to you - then you will enjoy the drive."

Beautiful car but watch out...

By on Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Pros: "Beautiful car - fun to drive"

Cons: "Quality is not good - already in the shop twice"

"I bought the Acura MDX AWD Tech 2015 new and after 10 months (a bit over 10,000 miles) of owning/driving it I have some reservations about the car. First of all, this is a beautiful car and the first luxury I've ever purchased. I especially love the jewel headlights - unbelievably awesome to look at and really bright at night. The drive is really comfortable and quiet, esp. on highway. The mileage is as stated. Compared to that of the Highlander I owned prior, I believe the mileage is excellent. Now, the issues I've experienced with this car are: 1. The doors are not properly aligned. I overlooked the car and had to bring it back to the dealer for an adjustment. Still they are not perfectly aligned. So if you're thinking of buying it don't be like me and look carefully. 2. About 2 months after I bought the car, I started to hear squeaking noise when backing up every morning. I brought it back to the dealer again for an inspection and was told that there was nothing wrong!? I think I'm not going to get many miles from the factory brake pads... 3. Last week, the FCW and LDW lights came on and stayed on. Again, I brought it back to the dealer on a Saturday. After waiting for 3 hours, they found the error but did not know what caused it and wanted to keep the car for further diagnosis?!?! At the same time, they suggested that I remove the E-Z/fastlane transponder as well as my workplace parking transponder. Their thinking was that those might have interfered with the camera even though the transponders were mounted well below the shaded area. The following Monday, I got a call from the dealer saying that they found the culprit - the camera but did not have it in stock so they needed another day to order and replace it. As of today, the car is still at the shop waiting to be fixed. The dealer claimed that they did not have the tool to calibrate the camera because this is the first time they do this on an MDX, and the same tool on other models doesn't work with MDX!?!? Unbelievable."

My second MDX loved the first and love the second

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Pros: "Great in the mountians of NC and the open road"

Cons: "a little tech for me but OK"

"This is my second MDX and have enjoyed driving and owning an Acura, it fits with my life style and can handle 4 golfer and their clubs. This size SUV is the only one I know of that can accomplish this in confort, and I also own a Grand Cherokee and no can do."

Overall a solid luxury SUV, with one big flaw

By on Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Pros: "Great driving dynamics, reliable, and looks sharp"

Cons: "The infotainment system."

"Coming from other luxury badges, I was a bit wary with Acura, as it didn't have the same ring as Audi or BMW. Since purchasing this autombile, I have to say, i'm a believer. It's eager, surprisingly responsive, and completely glitch free. I think Acura has a home run here. I bet they sell a ton of these. HOWEVER The infotainment system is a glaring weak spot in my opinion. It has a dated interface and it is so irritating having to navigate to do something like change the air vent speed. I believe they were burned by the prior model's criticism of "too many buttons on the center console", that Acura swung too far in the other direction. Hopefully they fix this in the next refresh. It really is the only fault I have with the vehicle."

Best all-around SUV in it's class

By on Thursday, November 20, 2014

Pros: "safe, reliable, fuel efficient,ideal for families"

Cons: "smaller third row, learning curve for DASH screen"

"I have a 2014 base model with AWD Could not have been happier. Test drove X5, RX350, Q7. The MDX gets high marks in every category. The fuel efficiency is excellent. I get 27-28 MPG on highway. The SH-AWD is top notch and the engine has good power. We feel safe and controlled in even the worst weather Michigan has to offer. The seats are incredibly comfortable. The car syncs with our iphones so we did not get the Tech package. The rear camera does the job. Did not want the bells and whistles that the higher trim/other SUVS may offer."

My Ideal luxury SUV

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "fuel economy, quiet and comfortable interior, IDS"

Cons: "Rear suspension noise, no fog lights"

"I had a 07 MDX and loved it. Acura really listened to 2nd generation owners and gave us the MDX we asked for. They did great with this vehicle. You do hear this clunking sound in the rear suspension when you drive over certain types of road imperfections, buy eventually you'll get use to it."

Great car so far, one major issue

By on Sunday, June 21, 2015

Pros: "Great car overall, great mileage"

Cons: "iPhone 6 not syncing a deal killer"

"Fun to drive, plenty of power, 32 mpg on the road, 20 in town, Good sound system and comfortable. But one MAJOR issue. My iPhone 6 will not sync to the Acura Link system so I can't use it's built in hands free option. My 4s worked fine. Called Acura and they indicated it was "Apple's fault". Looking around, I found there are no issues with Audi, Buick and my wife's E350. Even my neighbor's Kia Soul works with the iPhone 6. So if you don't own an iPhone 6 or don't care about this, I would recommend it. If not, I would not recommend it and in fact will be trading it in if the problem isn't fixed in a month or so."

Too noisy for a "luxury" vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Pros: "Electronic gadgets, fun to drive"

Cons: "Very noisy cabin, rough ride"

"I am not sure why all the reviews I have read mention how quiet the cabin of the MDX is. We have found the cabin noise to be very irritating. The rear suspension sounds like it wants to come thru the floor when going over even minor bumps. The road or tire noise is very loud. The dealer says this is normal for the MDX. Other than the noise, we find this vehicle fun to drive. We like all the electronic gadgets. However, we will not purchase another Acura."

Nav system issues

By on Sunday, February 9, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "It will last forever if you do regular maintenance"

Cons: "nav screen not touch screen"

"I elected not to buy this car because of the changes in the nav system. I own the 2005 MDX and have 205,000 miles on it and love it. the nav screen is totally touch screen and I have tried the knob system in the 2014 and find it a kluge. I wish they had left it all touch screen. Other manufactures of lesser grade cars have all touch screen nav units. I would have bought this car in a second, had that not been the problem. I am in the real estate business and travel to many places each week only once so a flexible and easy to use nav screen is critical to my work and general riding enjoyment. i see others have complained about this as well but I think I am the only one who has declined to buy the car because of this issue. Acura, PLEASE go back to the old touch screen."

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next