2015 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $45,160 - $47,985.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 08/04/2016

10/8.5

7.4

Based on 55 Ratings for the 2014 - 2017 models.

7.6/10

no dealer support.

By on Saturday, July 16, 2016

Pros: "shawd great, comfortable,roomy"

Cons: "no horsepower,too many problems"

"mdx is underpowered to get better fuel mileage. heating and air conditioning venting are designed poorly. your legs freeze in the winter.cd reader works maybe 50% of time. drives well, advanced sensors great safety feature. dealership will not fix anything, makes tons of excuses.my fifth mdx and my last going to trade in on a brand that cares."

2014 Acura MDX

By on Monday, July 11, 2016

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Navi is slow to bootup, bluetooth"

"I have owned my 2014 MDX Advance for 3 years. This is my 3rd Acura MDX. Just purchased another 2017 MDX ADV. My 14 MDX is trouble free. Acura could do a better job with the Navi and Bluetooth. Voice recognition w SIRI eye in the 17 MDX is a big plus. I would definitely recommend this brand. I had a BMW X5 that spent more time in the shop than on the road."

Great vehicle but a few quirks

By on Thursday, March 26, 2015

Pros: "Love the looks"

Cons: "question quality"

"I absolutely love the appearance and interior of the MDX. It handles nicely although I've driven older MDX's and felt like they were more "solid." I would like more power, acceleration. As others have mentioned, the screen for Ac/heating, audio, etc is not user friendly. It takes at least 2 steps just to turn the fan up. I've had my vehicle about 18 months and it's been in the shop three times for recalls and/or warranty work. I expected better quality from Acura. My husband's 6 year old GMC truck has only been in the twice. I went with the MDX over BMW X5 thinking it was of better quality but now I'm not so sure. That being said, it is easy to drive, park and I really like the looks."

Loved my 2009 and 2012 MDX but 2016 is a loser.

By on Sunday, December 13, 2015

Reason: Terrible Car

Pros: "Hugh amount of tech features."

Cons: "Transmission and Nav/Media screens"

"My two prior MDXs were great so I only did a short test drive of the 2016 AWD Tech...big mistake...I had too much faith in Acura. The new 9 speed transmission is a disaster giving short, noisy and lurching shifts from a stop...slow response to downshifting when slowing on a downhill using the paddle shifters. I could not get comfortable with the button gear shift. The two screens are hard to read in sunlight and the touch screen finger prints make it even worse. At 1900 miles I decided to trade it on a BMW X5 but the same dealer offered $12,600 less than the msrp on trade-in....so much for fair treatment of a repeat customer. If you look at this MDX do a weekend test and pay attention to the above."

Best Honda ever

By on Friday, November 8, 2013

Pros: "ride, quietness power handlig comfort"

Cons: "complex controls"

"I have owned 14 ACuras and Hondas through the years. I can confidently say this is the best Acura to date. It has only one "defect" a complicated audio/Navy system. Its not that its illogical but rather that it has so many capabilities and functions that setting everything up takes an evening or two, once that is surmounted it works great. Everything else on this vehicle is good to excellent, quietest Honda ever made, best Honda automatic transmission, excellent audio, powerful and superbly refined engine, excellent handling, smooth ride, good fuel economy, best headlights in the market, extraordinarily comfortable seats, improved interior space. Though the third row is still for kids, adults can not only fit in a pinch they can also climb back there without being a certified yogi! Without a doubt the benchmark of the midsize luxury SUV's."

Poor Quality

By on Friday, March 27, 2015

Pros: "Creature comforts"

Cons: "Quality that is far from Acura standards."

"I have owned 5 previous MDXs. I purchased expecting the same quality. What a disappointment. Car has been back to the dealer five times in the first 2,000 miles (it has had $4,500 of factory parts and labor to date). They finally had to contact Acura to find out the main computer processor is a problem. It was replaced and now there are only intermittent problems. Safety features go off for no reason. Bluetooth is sporadic. In any turning situation combined with braking the suspension creaks and groans. There is considerable transmission noise and awkward premature or delayed shifts. The consolation is that on the highway it is an extremely comfortable road vehicle. Creature comforts are excellent."

The 2015 MDX failed as a premium car

By on Thursday, April 23, 2015

"I purchased my 2015 MDX all-wheel drive with tech pack in December 2014. Got it in black on black. The car looks really nice with the jewel lights and has really nice curves. The interior appeared well appointed and good quality on first impression. However, after owning the car for 4 months and after 2,000 miles on the tachometer, I have come to a different conclusion. The first impression did not stand the test of time. Here are the things I have noticed: The pros first: - Very nice styling. You can see a little Q7 in the front, a little Porsche Cayenne in the rear roof lines and some of the old MDX carryover. - Top safety ratings from both institutions - Spacious mid-size crossover - Strong engine…quick acceleration for a car this size The cons: - Door panel alignment issues. The rear passenger doors show noticeable alignment gap…the doors sticks out more than the panel and the tailgate are off center creating a big gap on the left side - Chirping engine noise. Took car to dealer, the mechanic confirmed the noise, but claimed that he hears that noise on other MDXs as well…told me to check back later when Honda has identified a fix for it. Reading the MDXer forum, others have the same issues and they believe it’s the water pulley misalignment that cause the chirping noise…will bring up to the dealer at next oil change. - Spongy brakes. You can really feel the weight of the car during braking and it takes more foot pressure to stop the car i.e., compared to the Lexus RX. - Grinding steering wheel noise when making big turns at parking lots. Dealer claimed that all MDX makes that noise and that its normal for that car. - Hollow doors…can be easily pushed in with your fingertips at the inside door hinge area. It might be due to thinner materials for the sake of weight saving. My sister’s Highlander and my Honda accord doors feels much more solid from inside. - Clunking noise from the rear suspension, which is echo through the rear compartment area. I suspect that the rear end is too light. Similar like a truck, the suspension is mounted directly to the frame instead to a suspension tower like in the previous generation MDX. When I have a gown up person sitting in the second row, the clunking noise almost becomes unnoticeable. My friend owns a truck and he always has a few bags of dirt in the back of the truck for the same reasons. - Electric system is sensitive to cold weather. On one occasion in January when the temperature was sub 30F all system lights turned, but went away when weather warm up a few days later. I think more or less most cars have some minor issues; however some of the issues identified in the 2015 MDX are more than minor. Frankly I was expecting more from the MDX after paying 50k for it (including Chicago city tax). I am partially mad at myself for not doing a better job on inspecting the car at dealership. I let my guard down because the car got raving reviews by many car reviewers and on YouTube…thought it’s the best value proposition…what can go wrong, right? My advice for future MDX buyers, don’t just rely on expert opinion, as they usually spend only a few hours behind the wheel of the car. They seldom look at build quality in great details. You can definitely avoid my mistake as most of the issues listed above could have been identified if I had spent more time inspecting. Also ask the sales person to let you alone with the car. They can be distracting you from seeing build quality flaws or hearing unusual noises. Finally, I would also advise new car buys to check out the Highlander. In my opinion it’s as good of a car and 14k cheaper. Waiting for the Honda Pilot might be also worthwhile…it will come out this fall. It shares the same platform with the MDX, basically has the same engine, transmission, suspension, safety feature, etc. for much less. The only difference is the brand name. I my view, an Acura is a marked up Honda. It failed to distinguish itself from Honda technologically. The performance, build quality and materials do not truly distinguish from Honda. In fact, Honda quality has been more consistent over time. This is my first and last Acura, but I would not rule out a Honda product in the future."

Great value

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Value, comfortable, good ride, quiet"

Cons: "Interior controls, navigation system"

"As many of the previous reviews have mentioned, this vehicle offers quite a bit of features for the $$. My wife and I sold my beloved 2010 GTI for a family vehicle and tossed around between the Forester and the RDX before test driving the MDX and just fell in love with it. There are some downsides as the interior controls takes a little getting used to. Acura's decision to remove the numerous amount of buttons - while looks great when the car is shut off - doesn't work so well when trying to make simple adjustments (such as changing the seat warmers). The sub-menus to operate just about every single everyday-use features is a little annoying. The navigation is not very impressive. If it wasn't bundled with the tech package, I would continue to use Waze on my phone. Pandora is a nice feature, but when the car connects to my phone to access Pandora, running other applications (such as Waze on my phone) is near impossible. It's like all resources from the phone is used up to maintain the link with the car. But aside from these negatives (all pertaining to the infotainment system), it's really hard to find many faults with this vehicle. It's a relatively quiet cabin and very smooth. When necessary, it has enough power to maneuver around traffic. I LOVE the cargo space. When all of the seats folded down, it provides a flat surface, which I love! The cabin is nicely dampened, so phone calls via bluetooth while on the highway is not a challenge. The seats are plush and very comfortable and while it would have been smart to integrate some simple controls into the center console, the enormous compartments makes up for it. I also use the rubber-stripped surface to place my handheld devices while driving; it grips the device without having to put it away so it doesn't slide around. Spend the additional for the AWD (love the system!) The Wash DC area got a little bit of ice/sleet/snow and my wife and I had a blast shopping while majority of the people were taking shelter at their homes. What would I do to improve this car? [1] Wider tires (at least 255). Haven't taken this car on any long highway rides, but the ride quality at high speeds is something I miss from my GTI. The 245s are not terrible, but it's a luxury car; it should go a little above what's necessary. [2] Please fix the infotainment system. Just make it intuitive for drivers. Copy the Germans!"

2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD is BEAUTY WITH BRAINS..

By on Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Pros: "Features, fun to drive, aerodynamic look Headlight"

Cons: "Infotainment screen takes time to get used to.."

"This is my first Acura MDX.me and my family loves it....I had researched few other luxury SUVs before buying especially Audi Q7, Infinity QX60 and BMW X5...Trust me after thorough research and test driving all, MDX is simply value for money....It drives so elegantly, really fun to ride in it...The interior and exterior luxurious features combo makes it best in the class for the price. I went for SH-AWD which is simply awesome in handling curves and all weather types from my experience of driving in rain. I bough Advance and Entertainment packages which has everything you can ever think of regarding safety, technology and luxury....Looking forward to many many years of superb driving experience in this ultra good 2016 MDX..."

Comparative Value

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Tech Package, sound system and spacious cabin"

Cons: "No touch screen Nav, Adaptive CC should be incl."

"I strongly suggest that if you are in market for an SUV you test drive this vehicle. I've been doing my research for roughly six months. I've stacked it up against the Q60, Audi Q7,BMW 5, Mercedes 350 and Lexus RX - If you just want a status symbol for north of $55K be my guest. The MDX blends fuel economy, safety and other features into a well balanced package. It's not perfect, no vehicle is but for value for your dollar you can't beat it if your looking to buy a luxury badge."