• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2015 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $45,816 - $47,867.

10/8.5

8.1

Based on 24 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

Almost perfect, but has some flaws

By on Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pros: "Relaible, Good Looking, Fun"

Cons: "EXtremely choppy ride, feels very heavy"

"2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech Package Things I like: - Extremely comfortable Seats and Hand rest - Looks amazing, almost better than any other crossovers out there - Touch Screen Display - Amazing headlights, almost lights up the whole road - Perfect Height Things I don't Like: - The climate settings are very hard to get to via the touch screen interface - Steering Wheel is too thick and heavy - Fog lights are not standard - Audio system is not up to par, would like some more power out of it - All season tires are not ideal for snow - Extremely choppy ride Things I would like to see in the next model: - Overhead display - More Power - Stop and Start Technology - More Gears - Buttons for AC Fan and temperature control for easy access - Faster and better looking Multimedia Interface - Thinner, Smaller and more powerful Steering Wheel - Softer Suspension - Third row seat AC Vents - Standard Adaptive Cruise Control - Differential control for AWD locking"

Entire touch screen system totally a mess!

By on Friday, January 16, 2015

Pros: "Fine vehicle for its utility and price point"

Cons: "Computer entry very non-intuitive"

"Not a very exciting vehicle to drive. I sold two vehicles and tried to combine them into one...ie a puckup and a convertible. My choice was a SUV that had some room to carry/haul some things yet was fun and practical to drive. Vehicle is fine and delivers most of my wants. My other vehicle is a Ford Taurus SHO and the computer system and GPS are very intuitive. Not so with the MDX. I've had the MDX 7 months now and still am guessing at how to do things with the touch screen usually unsuccessfully and if successful have tried manny, many entries that I forgot how I got to my goal. My wife riding in the passenger seat with the instruction book open is usually no more successful. One objection to the tech package is that it does not include radar driven cruise control that the Ford has. Acura wants the $5k entertainment package to get this! Also you cannot enter an address while the vehicle is moving as a safety issue, fine but how complicated would it be to detect a passenger and let them enter a destination while in motion?"

My second MDX loved the first and love the second

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Pros: "Great in the mountians of NC and the open road"

Cons: "a little tech for me but OK"

"This is my second MDX and have enjoyed driving and owning an Acura, it fits with my life style and can handle 4 golfer and their clubs. This size SUV is the only one I know of that can accomplish this in confort, and I also own a Grand Cherokee and no can do."

Disappointed with the 2014 MDX

By on Sunday, January 04, 2015

"I have previously owned a 2004 and a 2009 MDX and was satisfied with both. Based on the previous years, I purchased a 2014 MDX without hesitation. My three major complaints are the ride, the voice command system for the phone book and engine noise. The voice recognition for the stored phone numbers is worthless. I only use the short-cuts which are very handy. As a comparrison, my 2012 Dodge Challenger's phone voice recognition system is excellent. The most bothersome issue is the ride. It is the hardest, bumpiest suspension I have experienced since my 1972 VW Bug. I had a pickup truck that rode smoother that this MDX. You feel every crack in the roadway. On a smooth roadway, the MDX is more quiet than any previous years. The engine has a loud ticking at idle. I would not buy a MDX again without a test drive and a thorough inspection of all systems."

One of the best

By on Sunday, December 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable seats, secure, roomy"

Cons: "navigation sytem and controls need improvemnt"

Pickup at the dealer

"The 2015 Acura MDX is our 10th Acura/Honda vehicle since 1996. Yes, we have owned other vehicles during this time including the 2013 Audi Q5 we traded for the MDX. The 2015 is our second MDX and we still have our 2003 model. The '15 model has been much improved over the years with many technical advances and creature comforts. My favorites include the lane keeping assistance and adaptive cruise control with slow speed follow. This version very fun to drive and is more solid and sure-footed on the road than any other car I have owned in recent years. The fit and finish are exceptional. The MDX is a very tight vehicle and I find myself having to close the door a second time to completely latch it. (others have complained about his issue) The navigation system and controls still need some tweaking. Compared to other vehicles these item often require too many unnecessary steps to complete the task. The improvements in the latest model are all for the better. A solid, extremely quiet at all speeds, sure-footed, well-balanced handling vehicle that is responsive, and attractive in a timeless way that Acura is known for. If this MDX goes the distance of our 2003 with almost 200k miles, it will be normal for Acura."

Pickup at the dealer

Build Quality is Horrible

By on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Cons: "Horrible build quality."

"I also own 2011 MDX that I like but since I needed another SUV, I bought 2014 MDX. I noticed the new car's build quality deteriorated compared to 2011 model. I always have to open and close doors at least twice (after I greased all the hinges, it got a little better), constant squeaks from the wheel areas, and most of all, terrible grinding noise when accelerating, either gently or fast. I took the car to a dealer but they simply deny that the rattles and the grinding noise even exist. I also have a hard time in adjusting my driver seat to a comfortable position. I am 5' 7" but comfortable seat adjustment is impossible. Rear view camera is mostly useless because it is located where rain and all the dirts prevent clear view. Navigation is not intuitive, either. Rain sensing wipers act weirdly and I never use it. Only good sides are a little briskier engine performance and a slightly better gas mileage than 2011 model. I am so much disappointed in Acura and will never buy Acura again."

I would buy this car again.

By on Friday, November 21, 2014

Pros: "Responsiveness, all around quality, inside and out"

Cons: "Wished it cost a little less."

"I have owned over 80 cars, trucks and RVs thus far. I would rate the MDX in the top 3. Great handling, well appointed interior, highway gas mileage in the upper 20's, and a very responsive 290 HP engine. When I get around to updating my book, "Forty Cars That Owned Me," the MDX will get star billing. And this vehicle is assembled in the USA!"

Best all-around SUV in it's class

By on Thursday, November 20, 2014

Pros: "safe, reliable, fuel efficient,ideal for families"

Cons: "smaller third row, learning curve for DASH screen"

"I have a 2014 base model with AWD Could not have been happier. Test drove X5, RX350, Q7. The MDX gets high marks in every category. The fuel efficiency is excellent. I get 27-28 MPG on highway. The SH-AWD is top notch and the engine has good power. We feel safe and controlled in even the worst weather Michigan has to offer. The seats are incredibly comfortable. The car syncs with our iphones so we did not get the Tech package. The rear camera does the job. Did not want the bells and whistles that the higher trim/other SUVS may offer."

Very Disappointed

By on Sunday, November 16, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable 8 way seats...that's it"

Cons: "too many to list"

"I only had the vehicle a few weeks before the computer began going haywire. Service reset it and told me that a computer update was on the way. Today I got the update notice and it is only for the nav, radio and phone!?? The headlights Blind all oncoming traffic so if you love being flashed by every oncoming car...this one is for you. The voice commands were obviously programmed by an non-English speaking person as they are not intuitive at all. The computer repeats needless phrases to you on startup like the name of the first person on your phone list. Buyer's Remorse on this vehicle for sure. Very disappointed with Acura! I owned a Honda and thought this would be a step up. It is a step down in quality and a step up in price! I wish I could get out of this lease without losing a bundle of cash but that is not in the case."

Falls short in too many areas

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage"

Cons: "Basically, everything other than the gas mileage."

"I am rather disappointed in this vehicle, because the Acura brand is so well known for quality across the board. This vehicle seems very light weight and I feel every bump. The handling is poor.The transmission is complete mush, and engine power is not what it should be for this vehicle. Even the tires are rather narrow for a vehicle like this. The brakes are not adequate - at all!Visibility is poor. The seats have zero lateral support. The GPS is poor. The overall quality is, frankly, lacking. This is not even close to being an SUV, so I guess calling it a 'crossover suv' is almost reasonable. I willmention one good point - the gas mileage. To be honest, I should have taken a MUCH longer test drive in this vehicle. I have had many SUVs over the years and they were all far better than this. I have driven earlier model MDX's and they were better than this new model."

ok to good

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "back seat lot of room"

Cons: "ride not good feel every bump in road"

"handle good but ride not good you feel every thing would not buy again"

Pros are great - 3 or 4 big cons for me

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Safety, handling,comfort,blue tooth, safety camera"

Cons: "Gps inadequate, no spare tire, no power mirrors."

"Purchased a 2104 MDX w the technology pkg. First let me talk about the positives - beautiful, inside and out. Love the new headlight design. Love the lines of the car.Very quick response; comfortable, quiet. Like the rear view camera, blue tooth, blind spot alert. Memory seat. Pretty roomy, although the 3rd seat is pretty cramped. You can lay all the seats down flat, and that gives you a lot of cargo space. It has a small compartment in the back where you can "hide" some things, and they will stay out of sight, and not roll around in the back. Ok - Negatives: Because I'm a real estate broker, I def wanted my next car to have a good GPS system. This one is complicated and sub par. I would venture to say that 60% of the addresses I try to put in won't come up! even my own home address, and I live in an established neighborhood. I actually had to put in a different address on my street because it wouldn't give me the option of adding my own (only the letters or numbers that it has programmed as viable light up). I actually bring my iPad along because it's more accurate. (I spent a lot less on my iPad than the car!) when I spoke with the dealership to see if there was an update, they told me I had the latest one. Bummer. It does have voice activation - unfortunately it's like Siri - doesn't usually sync to what your asking for, so pretty worthless. Also - vehicle does not have power mirrors ( you have to get the tech AND entertainment pkg to receive that feature!) well - being that this was a $40k plus car, and pretty much power everything else, I just assumed that it would have power mirrors, so it wasn't even on my radar to ask or confirm prior to purchasing. Given our parking situation - this is something I used everyday on my old car. The other item I didn't realize is that there is no spare tire. Of course they have wonderful roadside assistance, and you can purchase a spare if you want one - but it is not included when you buy the car. It has some kind of air compressor/patch seal kit, with another book of instructions. I love the look of this car - I love the safety features, the handling, the comfort - but I am very disappointed in the cons that I've mentioned - so much so that had I known - I would not have purchased it. If those features aren't important to you - then you will enjoy the drive."

Best SUV in the market

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Great price, comfortable, smooth driving,"

Cons: "None really"

"I really had some doubts before I purchased Acura MDX 2015. I test-drove X5 and Q7, but right after I drove MDX, I made my decision to purchase this vehicle. 1. It is super comfortable. Very spacious... 2. Comparing its competitors, you get more than what you pay for. 3. It is a great family car. Gas mileage is awesome and really comfortable for road trip. I really enjoy having this car."

This is the best car for the money

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pros: "seats, lighting, fun to drive, comforable, space"

Cons: "navigation system, lack of second USB, text featur"

"I drove the car about 3 miles away from the dealership on the test drive and I was in love. I have been driving cars for 35 years and this is the nicest Honda product I have ever owned. I am a proud Honda/Acura buyer since 1993 and will never buy another brand of vehicle. Being a travel for work, I have driven many rental cars as well as some of my friends have had the upscale Audi Q7 and Denali Yukon's. This car is amazing, especially for hauling the family when the grand kids are in town"

Best SUV I have ever owned or driven

By on Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pros: "Amazing car, great price and value."

Cons: "None really."

"This is hands down the best midsize luxury I have owned or driven. I purchased this after test driving the BMW X5, Audi Q7, Q5, and the Lincoln MKX. The BMW is more of a performance vehicle, it handles the roads great and great driving experience, more expensive than the Acura. Great SUV not for me. The Audi Q7 was just to big and it rides big. Maybe its the long wheelbase but it just seem to big. It handles great and has a great driving experience but just too big for me. The Lincoln I like the least, I actually test drive the Ford Edge and liked it better than the Lincoln. The Audi Q5 is an exceptional car and I really had a hard time choosing between this SUV and the Acura. My wife loved the Acura slightly more than the Q5. It came down to size and we were not ready to downsize just yet. I really like the Q5. The MDX does everything well and for the right price. The 2014 is a dream to drive. It is super quiet, it handles bumps in the road perfectly. Great passing speed and acceleration. Every time I drive another car and get back into the MDX I am amazed on how great this car is. The touch screen that people complain about is very easy to use. I also have a 2006 BMW 550i and the idrive is very, very difficult to use and learn. The only people who can't learn to use this in the MDX don't own a computer, iPhone or any smart phone. I am 56 years old and the touch screen in the MDX is very simple to use. I took out a Lexus RX350 the other day and i still prefer the MDX. Every one has a preference but IMHO this has to be one of the best SUV on the planet."

Good driving experience, design, and space

By on Friday, April 25, 2014

Pros: "Maneuverability, space, comfort, value"

Cons: "No front/rear sensors, no surround cameras"

"Evaluated Infinity QX60, Audi Q7, BMW X5 but the Acura MDX beat them all for value, handling, and size. Traded in my VW Beetle for more room and didn't loose on maneuverability. Need to be in Sport mode to get the right amount of pick-up when passing on the highway, but it doesn't seem to change the fuel economy much. No big blind spots and love the blind spot warning, lane departure warning, and brake warning. The dual display, touch screen and menus have not bothered me like other reviewers, but the new requirement that navigation and settings can't be changed while driving has driven my husband crazy when he is trying to help as a passenger. The only nit is that other cars had surround cameras and front and back sensors/warnings at comparable packaging. Needed to get the Advanced and pay about $6K more for that on the MDX (have the tech and entertainment package with SH-AWD). But, I find that it's been easy to see and park, so I don't miss it. (But still Jones for it since my husbands Audi Q5 has it and that does make things really easy). Overall, love my new MDX."

Comparative Value

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Tech Package, sound system and spacious cabin"

Cons: "No touch screen Nav, Adaptive CC should be incl."

"I strongly suggest that if you are in market for an SUV you test drive this vehicle. I've been doing my research for roughly six months. I've stacked it up against the Q60, Audi Q7,BMW 5, Mercedes 350 and Lexus RX - If you just want a status symbol for north of $55K be my guest. The MDX blends fuel economy, safety and other features into a well balanced package. It's not perfect, no vehicle is but for value for your dollar you can't beat it if your looking to buy a luxury badge."

Nav system issues

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "It will last forever if you do regular maintenance"

Cons: "nav screen not touch screen"

"I elected not to buy this car because of the changes in the nav system. I own the 2005 MDX and have 205,000 miles on it and love it. the nav screen is totally touch screen and I have tried the knob system in the 2014 and find it a kluge. I wish they had left it all touch screen. Other manufactures of lesser grade cars have all touch screen nav units. I would have bought this car in a second, had that not been the problem. I am in the real estate business and travel to many places each week only once so a flexible and easy to use nav screen is critical to my work and general riding enjoyment. i see others have complained about this as well but I think I am the only one who has declined to buy the car because of this issue. Acura, PLEASE go back to the old touch screen."

Best Value in class for my needs

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Power, SH-AWD, acceleration, comfort"

Cons: "hard to use navigation system"

"I bought this to downsize from a Suburban now that the kids are grown. I wanted something that would still pull the boat, carry 7 people (on rare occasions), and had a spirited driving experience. I test drove competing SUV's by Mercedes Lexus, BMW, and Infinity and this came out on top because of the driving experience, acceleration, gas mileage, handling, size, towing capacity (5,000 lbs with AWD and towing package) and price point. I researched other options (Buick, Jeep, Mazda, Volvo, VW), but they didn't have everything I was looking for. After driving my MDX for 3 months, I am very happy with the decision. I highly recommend the SH-AWD and Tech package because it truly enhances the driving experience (I also added entertainment pkg). I think the Advanced package is mostly overkill, but if an extra 5K+ doesn't bother you, go for it. The car is quiet and handles about as close to a sports car as an SUV can get (SH-AWD does make a difference). The faults are commonly pointed out and I agree....driver seat adjustment may not work for short drivers and the NAV system interface is complicated. (these are the main reasons for 9's instead of 10's in my rating) Overall, I would still make the same purchase today and I have no regrets."

Great value

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Value, comfortable, good ride, quiet"

Cons: "Interior controls, navigation system"

"As many of the previous reviews have mentioned, this vehicle offers quite a bit of features for the $$. My wife and I sold my beloved 2010 GTI for a family vehicle and tossed around between the Forester and the RDX before test driving the MDX and just fell in love with it. There are some downsides as the interior controls takes a little getting used to. Acura's decision to remove the numerous amount of buttons - while looks great when the car is shut off - doesn't work so well when trying to make simple adjustments (such as changing the seat warmers). The sub-menus to operate just about every single everyday-use features is a little annoying. The navigation is not very impressive. If it wasn't bundled with the tech package, I would continue to use Waze on my phone. Pandora is a nice feature, but when the car connects to my phone to access Pandora, running other applications (such as Waze on my phone) is near impossible. It's like all resources from the phone is used up to maintain the link with the car. But aside from these negatives (all pertaining to the infotainment system), it's really hard to find many faults with this vehicle. It's a relatively quiet cabin and very smooth. When necessary, it has enough power to maneuver around traffic. I LOVE the cargo space. When all of the seats folded down, it provides a flat surface, which I love! The cabin is nicely dampened, so phone calls via bluetooth while on the highway is not a challenge. The seats are plush and very comfortable and while it would have been smart to integrate some simple controls into the center console, the enormous compartments makes up for it. I also use the rubber-stripped surface to place my handheld devices while driving; it grips the device without having to put it away so it doesn't slide around. Spend the additional for the AWD (love the system!) The Wash DC area got a little bit of ice/sleet/snow and my wife and I had a blast shopping while majority of the people were taking shelter at their homes. What would I do to improve this car? [1] Wider tires (at least 255). Haven't taken this car on any long highway rides, but the ride quality at high speeds is something I miss from my GTI. The 245s are not terrible, but it's a luxury car; it should go a little above what's necessary. [2] Please fix the infotainment system. Just make it intuitive for drivers. Copy the Germans!"

Very much enjoy our new Acura MDX.

By on Friday, November 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun To Drive. Competitive Price. Acura Quality."

Cons: "Premium Gas Required"

"We very much enjoy our 2014 Acura MDX. It is the first Acura/Honda we have owned and so far we are pleased. It has a comfortable, quite ride and when desired can accelerate well and seams sporty to drive. The options and features of the base model vs. others that we looked at are superior and the overall cost was better. The interior is inviting and the seats are very supportive for longer trips. We have had occasions where we have used the third row for teenagers, and though probably not great for long trips, worked well when needed. With the third row folded there is plenty of cargo room. This week we received our first snow fall of the year, and the MDX (AWD)handled very well and felt secure in both driving and stopping. Fuel economy is good for this type of vehicle. So far we have had no mechanical issues and with Acura/Honda's reputation for quality, we don't anticipate problems in that regard. We are happy with our decision to buy this car."

PRICELESS! BEST VEHICLE W/ TREMENDOUS ADDED-VALUE

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Price, Luxury, User Friendly, Intuituve"

"Just brought home my new acura mdx 2014 for my darling wifey & she was blown away the moment she cast her eyes on it! I was torn apart between QX60(JX35) & this one but, when I added all the features which came with MDX it was not even close. I also compared the tech package features with BMW X5 & AUDI Q7 …& cost of the same went apx 60K+ …..Until today I didn't believe Acura could provide such luxury statement partly, because it's always priced so low compared to competition. All I can say this is my second best investment after my humble abode which we recently purchased. MUST BUY!!! NO BRAINER!!"

My Ideal luxury SUV

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "fuel economy, quiet and comfortable interior, IDS"

Cons: "Rear suspension noise, no fog lights"

"I had a 07 MDX and loved it. Acura really listened to 2nd generation owners and gave us the MDX we asked for. They did great with this vehicle. You do hear this clunking sound in the rear suspension when you drive over certain types of road imperfections, buy eventually you'll get use to it."

Best Honda ever

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

Pros: "ride, quietness power handlig comfort"

Cons: "complex controls"

"I have owned 14 ACuras and Hondas through the years. I can confidently say this is the best Acura to date. It has only one "defect" a complicated audio/Navy system. Its not that its illogical but rather that it has so many capabilities and functions that setting everything up takes an evening or two, once that is surmounted it works great. Everything else on this vehicle is good to excellent, quietest Honda ever made, best Honda automatic transmission, excellent audio, powerful and superbly refined engine, excellent handling, smooth ride, good fuel economy, best headlights in the market, extraordinarily comfortable seats, improved interior space. Though the third row is still for kids, adults can not only fit in a pinch they can also climb back there without being a certified yogi! Without a doubt the benchmark of the midsize luxury SUV's."