• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2014 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $43,896 - $45,575.

10/8.6

7.8

Based on 31 Ratings for the 2014 - 2016 models.

The 2015 MDX failed as a premium car

By on Thursday, April 23, 2015

"I purchased my 2015 MDX all-wheel drive with tech pack in December 2014. Got it in black on black. The car looks really nice with the jewel lights and has really nice curves. The interior appeared well appointed and good quality on first impression. However, after owning the car for 4 months and after 2,000 miles on the tachometer, I have come to a different conclusion. The first impression did not stand the test of time. Here are the things I have noticed: The pros first: - Very nice styling. You can see a little Q7 in the front, a little Porsche Cayenne in the rear roof lines and some of the old MDX carryover. - Top safety ratings from both institutions - Spacious mid-size crossover - Strong engine…quick acceleration for a car this size The cons: - Door panel alignment issues. The rear passenger doors show noticeable alignment gap…the doors sticks out more than the panel and the tailgate are off center creating a big gap on the left side - Chirping engine noise. Took car to dealer, the mechanic confirmed the noise, but claimed that he hears that noise on other MDXs as well…told me to check back later when Honda has identified a fix for it. Reading the MDXer forum, others have the same issues and they believe it’s the water pulley misalignment that cause the chirping noise…will bring up to the dealer at next oil change. - Spongy brakes. You can really feel the weight of the car during braking and it takes more foot pressure to stop the car i.e., compared to the Lexus RX. - Grinding steering wheel noise when making big turns at parking lots. Dealer claimed that all MDX makes that noise and that its normal for that car. - Hollow doors…can be easily pushed in with your fingertips at the inside door hinge area. It might be due to thinner materials for the sake of weight saving. My sister’s Highlander and my Honda accord doors feels much more solid from inside. - Clunking noise from the rear suspension, which is echo through the rear compartment area. I suspect that the rear end is too light. Similar like a truck, the suspension is mounted directly to the frame instead to a suspension tower like in the previous generation MDX. When I have a gown up person sitting in the second row, the clunking noise almost becomes unnoticeable. My friend owns a truck and he always has a few bags of dirt in the back of the truck for the same reasons. - Electric system is sensitive to cold weather. On one occasion in January when the temperature was sub 30F all system lights turned, but went away when weather warm up a few days later. I think more or less most cars have some minor issues; however some of the issues identified in the 2015 MDX are more than minor. Frankly I was expecting more from the MDX after paying 50k for it (including Chicago city tax). I am partially mad at myself for not doing a better job on inspecting the car at dealership. I let my guard down because the car got raving reviews by many car reviewers and on YouTube…thought it’s the best value proposition…what can go wrong, right? My advice for future MDX buyers, don’t just rely on expert opinion, as they usually spend only a few hours behind the wheel of the car. They seldom look at build quality in great details. You can definitely avoid my mistake as most of the issues listed above could have been identified if I had spent more time inspecting. Also ask the sales person to let you alone with the car. They can be distracting you from seeing build quality flaws or hearing unusual noises. Finally, I would also advise new car buys to check out the Highlander. In my opinion it’s as good of a car and 14k cheaper. Waiting for the Honda Pilot might be also worthwhile…it will come out this fall. It shares the same platform with the MDX, basically has the same engine, transmission, suspension, safety feature, etc. for much less. The only difference is the brand name. I my view, an Acura is a marked up Honda. It failed to distinguish itself from Honda technologically. The performance, build quality and materials do not truly distinguish from Honda. In fact, Honda quality has been more consistent over time. This is my first and last Acura, but I would not rule out a Honda product in the future."

only 2 bad things

By on Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Pros: "Drives like an X5"

Cons: "Stiff ride and hollow doors"

"I think the MDX is a great SUV. Drives like an X5 but lighter and not as bulky. The 2 bad things- rides like an X5. Suspension is very firm and you feel the bumps and the doors seem a little hollow. Otherwise I love the MDX"

Poor Quality

By on Friday, March 27, 2015

Pros: "Creature comforts"

Cons: "Quality that is far from Acura standards."

"I have owned 5 previous MDXs. I purchased expecting the same quality. What a disappointment. Car has been back to the dealer five times in the first 2,000 miles (it has had $4,500 of factory parts and labor to date). They finally had to contact Acura to find out the main computer processor is a problem. It was replaced and now there are only intermittent problems. Safety features go off for no reason. Bluetooth is sporadic. In any turning situation combined with braking the suspension creaks and groans. There is considerable transmission noise and awkward premature or delayed shifts. The consolation is that on the highway it is an extremely comfortable road vehicle. Creature comforts are excellent."

Great vehicle but a few quirks

By on Thursday, March 26, 2015

Pros: "Love the looks"

Cons: "question quality"

"I absolutely love the appearance and interior of the MDX. It handles nicely although I've driven older MDX's and felt like they were more "solid." I would like more power, acceleration. As others have mentioned, the screen for Ac/heating, audio, etc is not user friendly. It takes at least 2 steps just to turn the fan up. I've had my vehicle about 18 months and it's been in the shop three times for recalls and/or warranty work. I expected better quality from Acura. My husband's 6 year old GMC truck has only been in the twice. I went with the MDX over BMW X5 thinking it was of better quality but now I'm not so sure. That being said, it is easy to drive, park and I really like the looks."

Once an Acura owner, always an Acura owner!

By on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pros: "Acura quality, great on gas"

Cons: "Need a little more driver room, better USB interfa"

"Traded an 04 Acura MDX reluctantly for a new Chevy Traverse and was not happy with it, decided to get a new Acura MDX w/ SH-AWD and Tech package, couldn't be happier. Interior and exterior fit and finish is near perfect except for a couple of loosely fitting trim pieces and some air pockets in their acoustic laminated glass. Seats hold you firmly in place but are extremely comfortable, sliding arm rest and power adjustable steering wheel provide excellent ergonomic positioning. Although I wish Acura had added power adjustable pedals or one more inch of driver's seat adjustment. The steering wheel is thick with padded leather and little bolster bump outs, feels very comfortable in my hands. Exterior visibility is actually quite good compared to other crossover vehicles. Gauges are clear and well lit, a convenient LCD screen in the center of the cluster provides almost all your information without having to look away from the road. The LED headlights are the best I've ever used, even surpassing a good set of HID projector lamps. I love having an eyeglass holder, a simple little item often overlooked by most manufacturers. The two screen setup is a little overwhelming at first, but once you get used to the redundancy it actually becomes quite easy to operate. The one-touch third row access is simple and works well, also, the second row seating can slide fore and aft to accommodate a mixed bag of passenger sizes. The Honda motor runs exceptionally smooth and quiet as expected. The six speed trans is a little dated but adequate, there is an occasional shudder as if it shifts into fourth a little too soon sometimes, I'll have to keep an eye on it, as Acura transmissions have always been the Achilles heel of the MDX. The MDX accelerates quickly and tracks nice (very car like handling). The steering feel is adjustable through the Acura IDS, I normally leave it set on normal for back roads and sport for highways. The other power controls in the vehicle operate smoothly and uneventful. Cabin noise is very hushed, except for low speed driving where the suspension noise seems to be transferred directly into your ear, very clunky sounding, and low speed suspension damping seems very harsh, but accelerate to 45 MPH and greater and the problem seems to disappear, as if the high speed damping is more finely tuned. But Acura has always seemed prone to these issues, so its like second nature coming from another MDX. Also, I might need some flash cards to help remember voice commands, as there are hundreds. The USB audio when used with a flash drive is extremely slow, especially when scrolling through music files, I might just use bluetooth audio exclusively for now on. Overall, I have been very happy with this MDX so far, feels like putting on an old glove."