• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2014 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $46,099 - $47,717.

10/8.6

7.8

Based on 29 Ratings for the 2014 - 2016 models.

Poor Quality

By on Friday, March 27, 2015

Pros: "Creature comforts"

Cons: "Quality that is far from Acura standards."

"I have owned 5 previous MDXs. I purchased expecting the same quality. What a disappointment. Car has been back to the dealer five times in the first 2,000 miles (it has had $4,500 of factory parts and labor to date). They finally had to contact Acura to find out the main computer processor is a problem. It was replaced and now there are only intermittent problems. Safety features go off for no reason. Bluetooth is sporadic. In any turning situation combined with braking the suspension creaks and groans. There is considerable transmission noise and awkward premature or delayed shifts. The consolation is that on the highway it is an extremely comfortable road vehicle. Creature comforts are excellent."

Great vehicle but a few quirks

By on Thursday, March 26, 2015

Pros: "Love the looks"

Cons: "question quality"

"I absolutely love the appearance and interior of the MDX. It handles nicely although I've driven older MDX's and felt like they were more "solid." I would like more power, acceleration. As others have mentioned, the screen for Ac/heating, audio, etc is not user friendly. It takes at least 2 steps just to turn the fan up. I've had my vehicle about 18 months and it's been in the shop three times for recalls and/or warranty work. I expected better quality from Acura. My husband's 6 year old GMC truck has only been in the twice. I went with the MDX over BMW X5 thinking it was of better quality but now I'm not so sure. That being said, it is easy to drive, park and I really like the looks."

Once an Acura owner, always an Acura owner!

By on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pros: "Acura quality, great on gas"

Cons: "Need a little more driver room, better USB interfa"

"Traded an 04 Acura MDX reluctantly for a new Chevy Traverse and was not happy with it, decided to get a new Acura MDX w/ SH-AWD and Tech package, couldn't be happier. Interior and exterior fit and finish is near perfect except for a couple of loosely fitting trim pieces and some air pockets in their acoustic laminated glass. Seats hold you firmly in place but are extremely comfortable, sliding arm rest and power adjustable steering wheel provide excellent ergonomic positioning. Although I wish Acura had added power adjustable pedals or one more inch of driver's seat adjustment. The steering wheel is thick with padded leather and little bolster bump outs, feels very comfortable in my hands. Exterior visibility is actually quite good compared to other crossover vehicles. Gauges are clear and well lit, a convenient LCD screen in the center of the cluster provides almost all your information without having to look away from the road. The LED headlights are the best I've ever used, even surpassing a good set of HID projector lamps. I love having an eyeglass holder, a simple little item often overlooked by most manufacturers. The two screen setup is a little overwhelming at first, but once you get used to the redundancy it actually becomes quite easy to operate. The one-touch third row access is simple and works well, also, the second row seating can slide fore and aft to accommodate a mixed bag of passenger sizes. The Honda motor runs exceptionally smooth and quiet as expected. The six speed trans is a little dated but adequate, there is an occasional shudder as if it shifts into fourth a little too soon sometimes, I'll have to keep an eye on it, as Acura transmissions have always been the Achilles heel of the MDX. The MDX accelerates quickly and tracks nice (very car like handling). The steering feel is adjustable through the Acura IDS, I normally leave it set on normal for back roads and sport for highways. The other power controls in the vehicle operate smoothly and uneventful. Cabin noise is very hushed, except for low speed driving where the suspension noise seems to be transferred directly into your ear, very clunky sounding, and low speed suspension damping seems very harsh, but accelerate to 45 MPH and greater and the problem seems to disappear, as if the high speed damping is more finely tuned. But Acura has always seemed prone to these issues, so its like second nature coming from another MDX. Also, I might need some flash cards to help remember voice commands, as there are hundreds. The USB audio when used with a flash drive is extremely slow, especially when scrolling through music files, I might just use bluetooth audio exclusively for now on. Overall, I have been very happy with this MDX so far, feels like putting on an old glove."

Safety, Reliability, and Looks!

By on Sunday, February 08, 2015

Pros: "Jewel Lights, Seating, esp second row, new styling"

Cons: "Touch screen Learning Curve"

"This is our 3rd Acura MDX, 2005, 2007, and now 2015 Tech SHAWD.Live in Florida, no snow but can have heavy downpours so all wheel drive is important to us. Like Blind spot system but can be annoying when turning with two lanes turning side by side causes the unit to beep and flash but err on the safe side especially with all the tourists. Lane assist is good along with the collision assist. The touch screen does take sometime to get used to it but love the way to enter information with a type screen. Some complain about not being able to enter some information while driving but that is a NTSB ruling, not Acura's. Love the ability to be able to select driving Standard, Comfort (my choice) or Sport, which firms up the steering and suspension. The Owner's Manuel is now on disk but you can read the Owner's Manual on the Acura Website. Plus you now have apps for your smart phone to use. You can read text messages but if you have a certain Smart Phone, *****, due to legal, they will not allow the Smart Phone to respond while driving."

Tired of locking seat belts and steering wheel

By on Thursday, February 05, 2015

"The seat belts lock up for no reason. When I get into the car they are locked and I can't put them on. I tug and tug and can't get it to release. Now my steering wheel is doing the same thing. They have replaced the seat belts and they still do the same thing. Can't wait to get rid of this car."