2005 Acura MDX

Based on 404 Ratings for the 2001 - 2006 models.

Dissapointed

By on Thursday, August 20, 2009

"Transmission started slipping on my 02 MDX. Only had it for two years, bought it certified used from a dealer and got a good deal on the financing. Just recently (6 mos ago) the tranny started slipping. Took it to a transmission place and the got a code and replaced a solenoid. Kept doing it so I took it back and they got the same code again and replaced the same one again (no charge), but said if the problem continued I'd have to take it to the dealer. Guess what? THe problem conti ued. Did some research online and come to find out that it's an ongoing problem with MDX and the CL and TL! Horror stories of getting stuck in gear and causing accidents and so on, Acura not stepping up to accept responsibility for a $4500 repair. Certain dealers (according to the posts I read) would give some credit (as a 'courtesy') towards the replacement, but I can't risk it. I've got to dump this thing before it becomes worthless (like my RL did). Had a 97 RL that took a dump on me and had it towed to the dealer. They told me it would be close to $5000 to repair it (including replacing the timing belt for $1500 which needed to be done anyway at 105k miles) which was almost what it was worth. I could spend a few grand more and buy anohter one. They talked me into buying the MDX because it was 'Certified' and wouldn't give me any problems. Loved my MDX; breaks my heart to dump it. I'll never buy another Acura ever again. Loved my RL, too. Can you hear me crying? I feel like I've been betrayed by my best friend."

GOOD, BUT...

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Loved it initially then had several issues hit right near warranty expiration date: electrical issue with interior lights (covered), fuel injector system/valves (?) replaced twice (covered both times), rear AC unit went out (replaced at my cost), rear view mirror fell off and had to replace entire system at my cost, towing package electrical system went out and argued to get Acura to replace at their cost, and the biggies- we're on the 2nd transmission and 1 torque converter despite having the towing package installed and maintaining vehicle according manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and towing far below the vehicle's capacity for only 2 years. That being said, the MDX's HP did a great job pulling the light load and up even steep boat ramps when locked in 4WD. The good news- Acura covered the transmissions at their cost both times despite being beyond warranty but boy, what a nuisance. Moving on to another vehicle before this one ends up costing me more than it is worth as it begins to self destruct. Despite issues, enjoyed the vehicle for over 100K miles but need something more reliable where it is easier to access the 3rd row with 2 car seats in place in 2nd row when transporting additional passengers. Yup- the dreaded minivan. MDX was great for the 2 of us then 4 of us but only folks with short legs who are nimble can get to that 3rd row easily and stay there comfortably for longer trips especially when you have any cargo in back."

Not worth the money

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have had more problems with this 1 car than my last 5 Toyota's combined and I average 150K miles before getting rid of a car. Transmission vibration, road noise, the oil shocks have gone out TWICE EACH in only 115K miles, Entire electrical system shut down due to a short in the firewall, the rear AC is out, door switches for lights are sticking, rear wiper assembly came off, etc. This car has been dealer maintained (expensive and below average service) and garaged since I bought it new. It had problems from the start and is not aging gracefully. When I purchaced again last year, it was another Toyota. The best thing about the MDX is the all wheel drive. It performs well in wet conditions."

up in the air

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "drives well, great motor"

Cons: "put a transmission in it (not cheap in a acura)"

"i bought this vehicle with 76000 miles on it. loved the car handled great ran like a top. at 120,000 the transmisson went and cost me 3600 dollars with a 3 year warranty. at roughly 200000 miles the ignition went bad in it, the car would randomly shut off while driving it, no power brakes, no power steering. needless to say my wife was not impressed with this. it now has 220000 miles on it and still runs strong and drives well, from what i have heard this is not typical of the acura line but this was my expirience. wouldn't be my first choice but certainly not my last"

my favorite vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"I've owned my 2001 MDX for over 6 years and love it as much now as I did the day I bought it! It has 131,000 miles on it without any major problems. Only a few unlit lamps to show for all those miles of use. The engine has more then enough power to get you through any situation. The brakes have a slight clunking noise after about 55,000 miles. I'm told that was a characteristic of the first years model and as soon as you replace the pads it goes away for another 55,000 miles. I'm only on my second set and my mechanic says there is still almost 20% of the pads left. I wasn't aware that brakes could last this long. Gas mileage depends on how you drive and how much you haul. I drive mine everywhere and average around 19 mpg. Highway driving I get between 21 and 23 mpg. The vision is perfect for my 6' 2" fame and the seats are still very comfortable. I like it so much I hope I can drive it for another 70,000 miles. Like I said, it's my favorite vehicle ever."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura MDX near Honolulu. See local deals