2005 Acura MDX

Based on 404 Ratings for the 2001 - 2006 models.

You get what you pay for!

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, safe & reconfigures to meet cargo needs."

Cons: "Gas mileage, nav/DVD can be expensive repairs"

"Couldn't afford one of these new, so waited a few years - but well worth it! Have put 70K+ miles on MDX in 4 years, cross-country trips, mountains, beaches - always mechanically reliable. Gas mileage isn't best, but great for hauling kids, dogs, and stuff from big box stores and garden center. Have never had an accident - but safety (airbags galore) is one of the reasons we bought - drive a lot and carry precious cargo! Only suggestion I'd make is to look into an extended warranty, there are so many complex electrical systems with navigation and DVD - it'll save you money if problem occurs. Ours was $1500 and covered $2300 in mox-nix repairs in just a few years."

Can't sell it, great suv!

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, and everything else"

Cons: "gas mileage and requires premium"

"I've been looking at buying a new car and just don't feel like many of the new cars are much of an upgrade to my MDX. I bought this car with 90k miles on it, it now has 209k. In that time, I've only had to put an EGR valve in and do routine maintenance. There is a clunking in the front end now but that's pretty much a given on Michigan roads for high mileage cars. It seems like my friends and family always have their car in the shop but I'm confident in mine. The AWD and traction control gets this car through the snow without a problem. I've almost forgotten that snow is a problem for some people. Sound system is great. The car drives as smooth as silk, even with its high miles. The only thing that I don't like about this car is the gas mileage and the fact that it must be run on premium. Also there have been a few times that the stability control has involuntarily braked on dry pavement recently."

192K miles with normal maintenaince!!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "best navigation still, great ride"

Cons: "tow hitch rusts"

"I bought this car new in 2004, it currently has 192K miles on it and all I have had to do is the normal scheduled maintenance. Just finishing up on third set of tires and still get the average gas mileage as when new. If you take care of this car it will last a long time and won't break your wallet to maintain."

Seriously- best vehicle almost ever!

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pros: "comfort, stable, reliable, beautiful"

Cons: "high test gas, no auto back door"

"On everything that was available back in 2001 this car is the greatest thing. My only criticism is that it requires high test gas. I would not be getting a new car even now- it still drives like a youngster- but with 200,000 miles I am a bit anxious because I must travel quite a bit on main highways and long distances for my work. If I was only doing city travel I would keep it until it died of natural causes. I think this car will take someone at least another 100,000!"

Fix the transmissions for good

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Only shortcoming I have had is the transmission. It is very well documented that there is a problem. My 2002 is on the third tansmission at 125K miles. Acura helped pay for the replacements, but used rebuilt transmissions. So, although I love the car, I'm not sure I'll keep it as long as I'd like. They should have come clean a long time ago and fixed every one. Check some MDX blogs on Google and you'll find many, many transmission issues. It is a shame. Great vehicle otherwise."

GREAT SUV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pros: "Well Appointed Interior, Nice Nav/DVD System"

"I purchased my well maintained and cared for 2003 MDX used in 2010 with 105K. I've put on approximately 83K in just a little over 2 years with no problems or issues. The only repairs I've done have been routine and recommended maintenance. My boss drove her 2003 MDX for just over 9 years and put over 300K on hers before it was totaled while parked in in her driveway by an out of control driver. She claims that it still have a good 75K to 100K or life left in it. I put fuel injector cleaner in every other tank full and I'm getting 24/25 MPG highway at 60/65 MPH."

2002 acura mdx

By on Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"In 2005 I purchased a VERY dependable 2002 Acura MDX for 18,000 I loved the third row seating, that is what really sold me. After owning for 5 years with 130,000 miles the vehicle is still very reliable,comfortable,and powerful. Problems I occurred were transmission went out around @90,000 which was my first major repair. Then at 110,000miles It needs a paint job and I had to replace the motor mounts. @ 115,000 miles noticed my outer dash vents starting popping out due 2 warping of the dash from sitting in parking lots with no protection and replaced window motors for 2 doors. . Other minor repairs that I can not even really remember due to that I have a warranty that covers almost everything with NO deductible charge. Averages around 16MPG city and 18 highway"

Great vehicle! Very practical and reliable

By on Monday, November 12, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, convenient, reliable, spacious"

Cons: "fuel economy"

"My 2002 Acura MDX has been a great vehicle! It is comfortable, convenient and most definitely reliable. I bought the car new and have had only a few minor maintenance issues. I have put the least amount of money into this car than any I have had for any car I've had before. Also, it is a great family vehicle. It is very spacious and is very practical for long road trips or transporting a lot of cargo. I would definitely recommend this car."

Bought used, had for four years now

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "heated seats, 7 passengers, stylish, handling"

Cons: "speakers, storage, plastic pcs all broke on vents"

sitting pretty (could use a bath)

"I bought my MDX used in '08. It had 88000 mls on it. I had to replace the transmission in '10 (130,000). I made the mistake of taking it to a company (IT Brownies) that apparently knew nothing about this type of vehicle. The car was fine for the next 1.5 years (warranty was good for 12000 mls or one yr) and then the transmission went out again. I believe it was their lack of knowledge, lack of care, and rebuilding the trans the first time, that it didn't last me longer. I took it to an Acura dealer the second trans. It cost me what I owed on the car to repair the trans but it is running pretty well now. I have had it back for about 10 mo and have put on another 14000 mls on it, making it at 192000. I have bad catalytic converters and a wheel bearing that I need to replace. Other than small repairs nothing major again (knock on wood). It handles well and gets our large family where we need to go. Gas mileage is not too hateful considering the size of the vehicle. Its better than a normal SUV. I had gotten rear-ended and the bumper had a small knick in it. The other car, well not so great! So very sturdy vehicle. :D Other than the trans probs I had (which I really don't blame the car for the second time) its been a pretty decent vehicle."

sitting pretty (could use a bath)

great suv

By on Thursday, March 07, 2013

Pros: "drive through anything"

Cons: "16mpg"

"Ive put this thing through he77. Never had a problem at all. 280 clean still driving, only work done is brakes and fluids. Engine running like a champ gotta love honda. The most reliable engines in existence."

Dissapointed

By on Thursday, August 20, 2009

"Transmission started slipping on my 02 MDX. Only had it for two years, bought it certified used from a dealer and got a good deal on the financing. Just recently (6 mos ago) the tranny started slipping. Took it to a transmission place and the got a code and replaced a solenoid. Kept doing it so I took it back and they got the same code again and replaced the same one again (no charge), but said if the problem continued I'd have to take it to the dealer. Guess what? THe problem conti ued. Did some research online and come to find out that it's an ongoing problem with MDX and the CL and TL! Horror stories of getting stuck in gear and causing accidents and so on, Acura not stepping up to accept responsibility for a $4500 repair. Certain dealers (according to the posts I read) would give some credit (as a 'courtesy') towards the replacement, but I can't risk it. I've got to dump this thing before it becomes worthless (like my RL did). Had a 97 RL that took a dump on me and had it towed to the dealer. They told me it would be close to $5000 to repair it (including replacing the timing belt for $1500 which needed to be done anyway at 105k miles) which was almost what it was worth. I could spend a few grand more and buy anohter one. They talked me into buying the MDX because it was 'Certified' and wouldn't give me any problems. Loved my MDX; breaks my heart to dump it. I'll never buy another Acura ever again. Loved my RL, too. Can you hear me crying? I feel like I've been betrayed by my best friend."

GOOD, BUT...

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Loved it initially then had several issues hit right near warranty expiration date: electrical issue with interior lights (covered), fuel injector system/valves (?) replaced twice (covered both times), rear AC unit went out (replaced at my cost), rear view mirror fell off and had to replace entire system at my cost, towing package electrical system went out and argued to get Acura to replace at their cost, and the biggies- we're on the 2nd transmission and 1 torque converter despite having the towing package installed and maintaining vehicle according manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and towing far below the vehicle's capacity for only 2 years. That being said, the MDX's HP did a great job pulling the light load and up even steep boat ramps when locked in 4WD. The good news- Acura covered the transmissions at their cost both times despite being beyond warranty but boy, what a nuisance. Moving on to another vehicle before this one ends up costing me more than it is worth as it begins to self destruct. Despite issues, enjoyed the vehicle for over 100K miles but need something more reliable where it is easier to access the 3rd row with 2 car seats in place in 2nd row when transporting additional passengers. Yup- the dreaded minivan. MDX was great for the 2 of us then 4 of us but only folks with short legs who are nimble can get to that 3rd row easily and stay there comfortably for longer trips especially when you have any cargo in back."

Not worth the money

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have had more problems with this 1 car than my last 5 Toyota's combined and I average 150K miles before getting rid of a car. Transmission vibration, road noise, the oil shocks have gone out TWICE EACH in only 115K miles, Entire electrical system shut down due to a short in the firewall, the rear AC is out, door switches for lights are sticking, rear wiper assembly came off, etc. This car has been dealer maintained (expensive and below average service) and garaged since I bought it new. It had problems from the start and is not aging gracefully. When I purchaced again last year, it was another Toyota. The best thing about the MDX is the all wheel drive. It performs well in wet conditions."

up in the air

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "drives well, great motor"

Cons: "put a transmission in it (not cheap in a acura)"

"i bought this vehicle with 76000 miles on it. loved the car handled great ran like a top. at 120,000 the transmisson went and cost me 3600 dollars with a 3 year warranty. at roughly 200000 miles the ignition went bad in it, the car would randomly shut off while driving it, no power brakes, no power steering. needless to say my wife was not impressed with this. it now has 220000 miles on it and still runs strong and drives well, from what i have heard this is not typical of the acura line but this was my expirience. wouldn't be my first choice but certainly not my last"

my favorite vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"I've owned my 2001 MDX for over 6 years and love it as much now as I did the day I bought it! It has 131,000 miles on it without any major problems. Only a few unlit lamps to show for all those miles of use. The engine has more then enough power to get you through any situation. The brakes have a slight clunking noise after about 55,000 miles. I'm told that was a characteristic of the first years model and as soon as you replace the pads it goes away for another 55,000 miles. I'm only on my second set and my mechanic says there is still almost 20% of the pads left. I wasn't aware that brakes could last this long. Gas mileage depends on how you drive and how much you haul. I drive mine everywhere and average around 19 mpg. Highway driving I get between 21 and 23 mpg. The vision is perfect for my 6' 2" fame and the seats are still very comfortable. I like it so much I hope I can drive it for another 70,000 miles. Like I said, it's my favorite vehicle ever."

295,000 miles!!..still comfortable ride

By on Saturday, August 04, 2007

"I bought this 2002 Touring in autumn of 2001, day after 9/11...handles great, especially on wet pavement....I have 295,000 miles on this car...transmission was replaced under warranty at 40,000 miles, I put a rebuillt transmission in at 222,000 ($2,800)...never any other problems...road noise is more so than Lexus, but handles much better than lexus..mud guard on back tire rotted after 2 years...engine still runs great, no vibrations from engine or interior..gas mileage is 16-18 mpg consistantly...you do not have to use premium gas-91 octane, but I always have...great car..I like the body style better than the new model..new model looks too much like crv.."

Wow. Just wow.

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "Great engine, bulletproof and strong"

Cons: "Not the prettiest vehicle, seat warmers suck"

"I bought mine with 140k miles on it and am nearing 200k. It needed a valve adjustment and new struts in the last 20k miles, but since then this thing still runs like new. Seats show some wear, driver seat warmer didn't work when we bought it (and broke again since we fixed it). Nav system only works partially but I use my phone anyway.Jumps off the line if you need it to, rides super smooth. No head turner, but it just keeps on running SUPER smooth. Sound system rocks."

Best car owned

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

"Bought new, 180,000 miles later no problems. Truly amazing. Our 3 boys learned how to drive in this car and beat up on it pretty well, but never have had any abnormal issues to date. Definatley get what you pay for. Have had to FL from OH more times than we can count with 4 passengers and although can get cramped truly is a great traveling car. Great on the highway and good pickup around town."

I love this car

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "super"

Cons: "Directions clearer on how to take the jack out"

"I am now at 166,000 miles. My husband has gotten 2 new cars since our marriage and he can't rip this one out of my hands. i love it because of the turning radius and absolutely no blind spot. It handles well to this day and acura stands by their cars having replaced my transmission for free at 103,000 miles. Yes, out of warranty, a new transmission for free! This was the first year for the MDX.(2001). I can't seem to find a replacement vehicle I like. Sure wish the new MDX had the same window view we grew up with. The old school,turn and look, is a thing of the past? I just can't get used to the rear camera my husband has. Just not me... Come on Acura make your new MDX with the same 2001 windows!"

No buyer's remorse!

By on Monday, January 04, 2010

"Bought my '05 MDX Certified about 6 months ago and have been pleased at every turn. This car averages 20 mpg (strong for a large SUV), is comfortable, drives/handles well, and is exceptionally well equipped. Even with two car seats in back, there is room for an adult in the middle. The third row is outstanding; cargo room abounds; soft and supportive front seats combine with a smooth ride to make this the best car I've ever owned. AWD is perfect in snow and slush."

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"My wife and I bought our 03 w/touring package new and had a few minor issues in the beginning but all were covered under warranty. Since then it has been nothing but smooth sailing. We have all services performed at the dealer (can be expensive but we have a record of all services done) and use premium gas in it. We average 17 mixed driving and 21 on the road, my wife can get better but I drive a bit more aggressively than her. The kids love the factory dvd player and use it everytime they get into it. It has been a very good vehicle and we plan on keeping it for a long time to come. I would recommend one to anyone!"

Great bang for the buck

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"I have owned several SUV's and this by far is the best. I have 20k miles on it thus far. Great family car. People cant believe the size inside. Is bigger then shows outside. Was rear-ended by a school bus. Very little damage to the MDX. The Bus however was banged up in the front completely. Cars like this are a rare build these days. Gave styling a 4 star. Only knock I could give given I own a 2006 and the styling didnt change from 2001. **BOTTOM LINE- If you can find a deal on one of these Babies....BUY IT!"

This has been the best car I've ever owned.

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Great to drive, plenty of room"

Cons: "no dealership closer than 100 miles to me"

"I have loved owning this car. It has plenty of room for any cargo I would ever want to haul, room for 7 people and I feel very safe while driving it. It is rated as one of the safest cars on the road to drive because of the airbags and safety features. I owned a SUV before and if I made a sudden turn I felt top heavy. This car handles well in all situations. I would love to have another just like it!"

The best high-price purchase I ever made.

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

Pros: "Good quality and consistent long term reliability."

Cons: "The hands-free phone system went out."

"Before the Toyota incident in which we all learned through the news that Toyota's care for quality had dived, I was looking to get one of their SUVs. A late-in-the-game solicitation from my wife was to look at the Acura MDX. I didn't know anything about it but liked what I saw. Since getting it back in 2006, I've repeatedly said how fortunate we are to have such a good vehicle for the money we spent. Before this car, my life story has been strewn with various car experiences that have always had me think every car turns into junk as you get close to 200,000. I'm over 100,000 miles on this one already and I think I'll reach 500,000 before it's usefulness is done. I doubt I'll be so fortunate to own another car that's been so good to me."

No More Transmission problems

By on Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"Acura was great with the torque converter issue. Actually, it is covered in the manufacturers recall. They will replace it for free. Usually the cost is $2000. This has been a great car. My only complaint is that the miles per gallon have decreased over the life of my ownership. It is only getting about 15 miles to the gallon in the city. Nice luxury SUV."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura MDX near Honolulu. See local deals