• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2004 Acura MDX

Based on 401 Ratings for the 2001 - 2006 models.

This car wwill not quit !!

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "All wheel drive , dependable, Modren styling still"

Cons: "Preminum Gas"

"215k miles and it still runs like new, same engine same trans, Changed the timing chain at 140k. this car is a tank, The wife had it for 85,00 miles no issues, first daughter took it to Lubbock Texas for 4 year while going to Texas Tech Univ. , she put 70,000 miles, Next daughter got her turn 4 years at Texas A&M Univ. she put 65,00o miles on it, Now I have it for a run around car. Without doubt the best car I have ever owned and still going strong today [ 04/2014 ]"

Reliable - watch out for 2001-2 transmission issue

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Great engine, long lasting."

Cons: "Watch out for transmission"

"Great vehicle, good ride, turning radius is amazing, it turns around in the middle of a road with no hitting the curb, no 3 point turn. Engine purrs, beautiful sturdy interior, lots of room. Three issues I've had: 2008) The transmission was replaced at 80K because of the transmission recall. I had to fight and make a hundred calls to Honda Corporate for 3 years before Honda acknowledged that the rumbling I heard was from a transmission problem. They were waiting me out I think - if the car had gone past 80K, it would have been out of warranty for that recall. $7,500, and I paid none of it. 2010) The lights in the gear box stopped lighting up, and I googled the fix. It was a little bulb that was hidden under the gear console, had to pull up the gear housing to get to it. The goo I found under the cupholder was interesting too. Remnants of my old sodas and gunk. 2006) Rear blower stopped working; Bought the replacement transistor at Digikey (Part number = P10920-ND) -74 cents. fused it back on to the board that was in the console on the passenger side. Don't let anyone charge you $300 if you can do it yourself. You just need a screwdriver, a soldering gun, some solder wire, and a soldering sucker thingie. And I'm 'just a girl' people - you can do it too!"

Can't sell it, great suv!

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, and everything else"

Cons: "gas mileage and requires premium"

"I've been looking at buying a new car and just don't feel like many of the new cars are much of an upgrade to my MDX. I bought this car with 90k miles on it, it now has 209k. In that time, I've only had to put an EGR valve in and do routine maintenance. There is a clunking in the front end now but that's pretty much a given on Michigan roads for high mileage cars. It seems like my friends and family always have their car in the shop but I'm confident in mine. The AWD and traction control gets this car through the snow without a problem. I've almost forgotten that snow is a problem for some people. Sound system is great. The car drives as smooth as silk, even with its high miles. The only thing that I don't like about this car is the gas mileage and the fact that it must be run on premium. Also there have been a few times that the stability control has involuntarily braked on dry pavement recently."

You get what you pay for!

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, safe & reconfigures to meet cargo needs."

Cons: "Gas mileage, nav/DVD can be expensive repairs"

"Couldn't afford one of these new, so waited a few years - but well worth it! Have put 70K+ miles on MDX in 4 years, cross-country trips, mountains, beaches - always mechanically reliable. Gas mileage isn't best, but great for hauling kids, dogs, and stuff from big box stores and garden center. Have never had an accident - but safety (airbags galore) is one of the reasons we bought - drive a lot and carry precious cargo! Only suggestion I'd make is to look into an extended warranty, there are so many complex electrical systems with navigation and DVD - it'll save you money if problem occurs. Ours was $1500 and covered $2300 in mox-nix repairs in just a few years."

192K miles with normal maintenaince!!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "best navigation still, great ride"

Cons: "tow hitch rusts"

"I bought this car new in 2004, it currently has 192K miles on it and all I have had to do is the normal scheduled maintenance. Just finishing up on third set of tires and still get the average gas mileage as when new. If you take care of this car it will last a long time and won't break your wallet to maintain."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura MDX near Honolulu. See local deals