2003 Acura MDX

Based on 412 Ratings for the 2001 - 2006 models.

You get what you pay for!

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, safe & reconfigures to meet cargo needs."

Cons: "Gas mileage, nav/DVD can be expensive repairs"

"Couldn't afford one of these new, so waited a few years - but well worth it! Have put 70K+ miles on MDX in 4 years, cross-country trips, mountains, beaches - always mechanically reliable. Gas mileage isn't best, but great for hauling kids, dogs, and stuff from big box stores and garden center. Have never had an accident - but safety (airbags galore) is one of the reasons we bought - drive a lot and carry precious cargo! Only suggestion I'd make is to look into an extended warranty, there are so many complex electrical systems with navigation and DVD - it'll save you money if problem occurs. Ours was $1500 and covered $2300 in mox-nix repairs in just a few years."

Can't sell it, great suv!

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, and everything else"

Cons: "gas mileage and requires premium"

"I've been looking at buying a new car and just don't feel like many of the new cars are much of an upgrade to my MDX. I bought this car with 90k miles on it, it now has 209k. In that time, I've only had to put an EGR valve in and do routine maintenance. There is a clunking in the front end now but that's pretty much a given on Michigan roads for high mileage cars. It seems like my friends and family always have their car in the shop but I'm confident in mine. The AWD and traction control gets this car through the snow without a problem. I've almost forgotten that snow is a problem for some people. Sound system is great. The car drives as smooth as silk, even with its high miles. The only thing that I don't like about this car is the gas mileage and the fact that it must be run on premium. Also there have been a few times that the stability control has involuntarily braked on dry pavement recently."

192K miles with normal maintenaince!!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "best navigation still, great ride"

Cons: "tow hitch rusts"

"I bought this car new in 2004, it currently has 192K miles on it and all I have had to do is the normal scheduled maintenance. Just finishing up on third set of tires and still get the average gas mileage as when new. If you take care of this car it will last a long time and won't break your wallet to maintain."

Fix the transmissions for good

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Only shortcoming I have had is the transmission. It is very well documented that there is a problem. My 2002 is on the third tansmission at 125K miles. Acura helped pay for the replacements, but used rebuilt transmissions. So, although I love the car, I'm not sure I'll keep it as long as I'd like. They should have come clean a long time ago and fixed every one. Check some MDX blogs on Google and you'll find many, many transmission issues. It is a shame. Great vehicle otherwise."

GOOD, BUT...

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Loved it initially then had several issues hit right near warranty expiration date: electrical issue with interior lights (covered), fuel injector system/valves (?) replaced twice (covered both times), rear AC unit went out (replaced at my cost), rear view mirror fell off and had to replace entire system at my cost, towing package electrical system went out and argued to get Acura to replace at their cost, and the biggies- we're on the 2nd transmission and 1 torque converter despite having the towing package installed and maintaining vehicle according manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and towing far below the vehicle's capacity for only 2 years. That being said, the MDX's HP did a great job pulling the light load and up even steep boat ramps when locked in 4WD. The good news- Acura covered the transmissions at their cost both times despite being beyond warranty but boy, what a nuisance. Moving on to another vehicle before this one ends up costing me more than it is worth as it begins to self destruct. Despite issues, enjoyed the vehicle for over 100K miles but need something more reliable where it is easier to access the 3rd row with 2 car seats in place in 2nd row when transporting additional passengers. Yup- the dreaded minivan. MDX was great for the 2 of us then 4 of us but only folks with short legs who are nimble can get to that 3rd row easily and stay there comfortably for longer trips especially when you have any cargo in back."

Not worth the money

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have had more problems with this 1 car than my last 5 Toyota's combined and I average 150K miles before getting rid of a car. Transmission vibration, road noise, the oil shocks have gone out TWICE EACH in only 115K miles, Entire electrical system shut down due to a short in the firewall, the rear AC is out, door switches for lights are sticking, rear wiper assembly came off, etc. This car has been dealer maintained (expensive and below average service) and garaged since I bought it new. It had problems from the start and is not aging gracefully. When I purchaced again last year, it was another Toyota. The best thing about the MDX is the all wheel drive. It performs well in wet conditions."

up in the air

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "drives well, great motor"

Cons: "put a transmission in it (not cheap in a acura)"

"i bought this vehicle with 76000 miles on it. loved the car handled great ran like a top. at 120,000 the transmisson went and cost me 3600 dollars with a 3 year warranty. at roughly 200000 miles the ignition went bad in it, the car would randomly shut off while driving it, no power brakes, no power steering. needless to say my wife was not impressed with this. it now has 220000 miles on it and still runs strong and drives well, from what i have heard this is not typical of the acura line but this was my expirience. wouldn't be my first choice but certainly not my last"

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"My wife and I bought our 03 w/touring package new and had a few minor issues in the beginning but all were covered under warranty. Since then it has been nothing but smooth sailing. We have all services performed at the dealer (can be expensive but we have a record of all services done) and use premium gas in it. We average 17 mixed driving and 21 on the road, my wife can get better but I drive a bit more aggressively than her. The kids love the factory dvd player and use it everytime they get into it. It has been a very good vehicle and we plan on keeping it for a long time to come. I would recommend one to anyone!"

Wow. Just wow.

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "Great engine, bulletproof and strong"

Cons: "Not the prettiest vehicle, seat warmers suck"

"I bought mine with 140k miles on it and am nearing 200k. It needed a valve adjustment and new struts in the last 20k miles, but since then this thing still runs like new. Seats show some wear, driver seat warmer didn't work when we bought it (and broke again since we fixed it). Nav system only works partially but I use my phone anyway.Jumps off the line if you need it to, rides super smooth. No head turner, but it just keeps on running SUPER smooth. Sound system rocks."

I love this car

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "super"

Cons: "Directions clearer on how to take the jack out"

"I am now at 166,000 miles. My husband has gotten 2 new cars since our marriage and he can't rip this one out of my hands. i love it because of the turning radius and absolutely no blind spot. It handles well to this day and acura stands by their cars having replaced my transmission for free at 103,000 miles. Yes, out of warranty, a new transmission for free! This was the first year for the MDX.(2001). I can't seem to find a replacement vehicle I like. Sure wish the new MDX had the same window view we grew up with. The old school,turn and look, is a thing of the past? I just can't get used to the rear camera my husband has. Just not me... Come on Acura make your new MDX with the same 2001 windows!"

295,000 miles!!..still comfortable ride

By on Saturday, August 04, 2007

"I bought this 2002 Touring in autumn of 2001, day after 9/11...handles great, especially on wet pavement....I have 295,000 miles on this car...transmission was replaced under warranty at 40,000 miles, I put a rebuillt transmission in at 222,000 ($2,800)...never any other problems...road noise is more so than Lexus, but handles much better than lexus..mud guard on back tire rotted after 2 years...engine still runs great, no vibrations from engine or interior..gas mileage is 16-18 mpg consistantly...you do not have to use premium gas-91 octane, but I always have...great car..I like the body style better than the new model..new model looks too much like crv.."

Best car owned

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

"Bought new, 180,000 miles later no problems. Truly amazing. Our 3 boys learned how to drive in this car and beat up on it pretty well, but never have had any abnormal issues to date. Definatley get what you pay for. Have had to FL from OH more times than we can count with 4 passengers and although can get cramped truly is a great traveling car. Great on the highway and good pickup around town."

Great bang for the buck

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"I have owned several SUV's and this by far is the best. I have 20k miles on it thus far. Great family car. People cant believe the size inside. Is bigger then shows outside. Was rear-ended by a school bus. Very little damage to the MDX. The Bus however was banged up in the front completely. Cars like this are a rare build these days. Gave styling a 4 star. Only knock I could give given I own a 2006 and the styling didnt change from 2001. **BOTTOM LINE- If you can find a deal on one of these Babies....BUY IT!"

Very Reliable Overall

By on Friday, December 02, 2011

Pros: "Good handling in bad weather"

Cons: "Premium Fuel Only"

"My girlfriend and I were looking for an SUV and looked around for a while drove a few vehicles but I was not impressed, then we saw this one at an Acura dealer in Dallas stop by took a drive, I have to say I drive a 7 series BMW and after driving this particular vehicle I was impressed, the weather was a bit wet but the vehicle feel't solid on bad weather, the interior is well designed no issues with cheap like materials etc, the controls are very well designed and well placed,again the handling of this vehicle is from really good to excellent, i recommend you drive it to experience what I felt when I drove it, the only drawback is this vehicle only burns premium fuel other then that, is a very well made very well equipped vehicle"

The do it all SUV!

By on Monday, September 06, 2010

"A little over priced due to Acura name but no need to worry because resale value is awesome. Exterior styling is beautiful and so is the interior. Engine has more than enough power to pass on the highway and tow what you want. Handling is a little on the firm side and a little unnerving when swerving at highway speed but overall a nice smooth mostly quiet ride with some road noise. Third row seat comes in handy when needed and easily stored. With both rear rows down I moved washers and dryers, and everything in between. Roof rack is useful for over-sized cargo. Nav system is one of the best I've used. Buttons are laid out nicely. Voice recognition is useless as its quicker just to press the buttons. Seats are a tiny bit on the cramped side for bigger drivers but nothing to complain about. All in all I love my MDX and can't wait to update to newer version."

Original Owner for 7 years

By on Saturday, January 02, 2010

"Up until Nov of '09 I said even though I owned this car for 7 years it was SO reliable I had no reason to replace it but then, to my utter surprise the transmission starting slipping and within a week was broken. Since I only had 86,000 miles on it Acura paid half the cost of the new transmission: my share $2800. I admit they charge a very high price for a new one but my paying half of their high price was less than a local mechanic would charge and they warrenty it for 3 years and gave me a brand new TL to drive while it was in the shop. I would have given it all five stars before this happened."

Not Impressed

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"I've had Hondas for a number of years. The 2001 MDX was my first Acura. The transmission blew out on this car and I had it rebuilt. I didn't realize that there was a serious problem with the 2001 transmissions until a Honda mechanic told me that the Honda had an extended warranty to 110,000 on the transmissions while Acura did not. This made no sense since the Acuras are more expensive."

love it

By on Saturday, April 05, 2008

"i bought a 2002 MDX used from a dealership in 2005. It was previously leased. I was considering a "new" car at this point. When I saw the MDX I decided that a used Acura was still a much better deal and would hold it's value better than the new "other brand". I couldn't have been more RIGHT! I have had no, that's right NO problems with this vehicle. The routine maintenance, even done at the dealership is reasonably priced. I have owned a BMW before and felt every time I brought it for service, they would try to convince me something expensive was needed immediately. I have never had this with my Acura- better made vehicle (Honda motor corp) and the dealership does whatever they can to make customers happy. For example I was very upset the day I bought it, ran over a nail at my supermarket parking lot on the way home and called the dealer to get it patched, they gave me a NEW TIRE! very happy with this vehicle. by the way, it has 120,000 miles on it still acts new!!"

Keeps on Tickin'

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "love the truck, looks great clean, no major probs"

Cons: "its getting old and i'll have to part with it soon"

"I bought this truck new in 2002 and I now have 237,000+ in 2014. I have changed the oil every 3,000 miles for 12 years and the truck has treated me well also. Aside from a replacement trans, this car has been stellar. I would rebuy it!!"

Best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pros: "Great comfort, runs smooth, no repairs"

Cons: "black hole between the front seats and console"

"I love the comfort, room, the way it drives and my children do too. The gas milage isn't great for the driving we do. Unfortunately there is a space between the drivers seat and the console that we call the black hole because if you drop anything down between front seats and console? your out of luck. Even my 6yr old can't retrieve the items with his small hand. I have had to put a towel there to prevent from losing items. I have a friend whom owns the same make and model and he has the exact same problem. Also, water pours in the window when it's raining if you barely even crack the window for air due to the design of the body. as for everything else? It's a 10!"

Amazing car! Drives beautifully for the long haul

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "High quality, drives great, comfortable"

"I have owned this car since 2001, and am still loving it. After over 100,000 miles, a cross country road trip, and a lot of driving on both highways and rough roads, this car is still in great shape!"

fell in love purchased 1 owner used

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "spacious, smooth drive,& acceleration"

Cons: "gas mileage, trip computer,& no auto trunk pop"

"ive read alot of reviews and regardless of the transmission problems went out and purchased a 2002 mdx 1 owner with only 130k miles for under 10k am very happy vehicle is immaculate interior perfect. Me and my family of 5 really aqppreciate the space of the mdx and how quite it is driving down the freeway or gravel roads. Had all the maintenance performed around 90k including timing belt. trasmision seems fine keeping fingers crossed that we have a defect free model i love the silver and black combo. The black leather being so immaculate and clean praying my toddlers dont ruin this vehicle."

Best vehicle ive owned

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "reliable"

"This Acura is a second owner no problems runs perfect. I have taken it to Mississippi twice with no worries or complaints ride is nice for a suv gas mileage better than most suvs. Everyone warned me about how expensive it is to own a import well it never breaks down so not expensive."

Great car. I have enjoyed owning it.

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Steering feel, seats, overall comfort"

Cons: "not enough drivers seat travel, gas mileage"

"I like the looks of the MDX, I like the instrument panel but most of all, I like the overall "feel" of the car. Steering feel is great for an SUV and the seats are comfortable. Biggest complaint: I wish the drivers seat had more rearward travel."

Very reliable vehicle. Comfortable.

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, reliable, excellent cargo space."

"I purchased this vehicle new in 2002. Other than preventative maintenance, in 130,000 miles and 10 years I have replaced broken motor mounts, a shock absorber, rear heating element, and the drivers seat heater. Total cost of repairing everything was about $2,500. Not bad for a 10 year old vehicle. I would highly recommend this vehicle. I have a 2006 Acura TL and am having a hard time deciding which vehicle to get rid of when I buy my next new vehicle. This is absolutely the best vehicle I have ever driven in snow. It is very comfortable to travel in and the storage space in phenomenal. You can fold down the rear seats and mid seats and actually lay a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood flat on the floor and close the hatch. Try that on any other vehicle. Full sheets of plywood wont even lay flat in a full size pickup truck bed."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura MDX near Honolulu. See local deals