2001 Acura MDX

Based on 413 Ratings for the 2001 - 2006 models.

You get what you pay for!

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, safe & reconfigures to meet cargo needs."

Cons: "Gas mileage, nav/DVD can be expensive repairs"

"Couldn't afford one of these new, so waited a few years - but well worth it! Have put 70K+ miles on MDX in 4 years, cross-country trips, mountains, beaches - always mechanically reliable. Gas mileage isn't best, but great for hauling kids, dogs, and stuff from big box stores and garden center. Have never had an accident - but safety (airbags galore) is one of the reasons we bought - drive a lot and carry precious cargo! Only suggestion I'd make is to look into an extended warranty, there are so many complex electrical systems with navigation and DVD - it'll save you money if problem occurs. Ours was $1500 and covered $2300 in mox-nix repairs in just a few years."

Can't sell it, great suv!

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, and everything else"

Cons: "gas mileage and requires premium"

"I've been looking at buying a new car and just don't feel like many of the new cars are much of an upgrade to my MDX. I bought this car with 90k miles on it, it now has 209k. In that time, I've only had to put an EGR valve in and do routine maintenance. There is a clunking in the front end now but that's pretty much a given on Michigan roads for high mileage cars. It seems like my friends and family always have their car in the shop but I'm confident in mine. The AWD and traction control gets this car through the snow without a problem. I've almost forgotten that snow is a problem for some people. Sound system is great. The car drives as smooth as silk, even with its high miles. The only thing that I don't like about this car is the gas mileage and the fact that it must be run on premium. Also there have been a few times that the stability control has involuntarily braked on dry pavement recently."

192K miles with normal maintenaince!!

By on Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pros: "best navigation still, great ride"

Cons: "tow hitch rusts"

"I bought this car new in 2004, it currently has 192K miles on it and all I have had to do is the normal scheduled maintenance. Just finishing up on third set of tires and still get the average gas mileage as when new. If you take care of this car it will last a long time and won't break your wallet to maintain."

Fix the transmissions for good

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Only shortcoming I have had is the transmission. It is very well documented that there is a problem. My 2002 is on the third tansmission at 125K miles. Acura helped pay for the replacements, but used rebuilt transmissions. So, although I love the car, I'm not sure I'll keep it as long as I'd like. They should have come clean a long time ago and fixed every one. Check some MDX blogs on Google and you'll find many, many transmission issues. It is a shame. Great vehicle otherwise."

GOOD, BUT...

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Loved it initially then had several issues hit right near warranty expiration date: electrical issue with interior lights (covered), fuel injector system/valves (?) replaced twice (covered both times), rear AC unit went out (replaced at my cost), rear view mirror fell off and had to replace entire system at my cost, towing package electrical system went out and argued to get Acura to replace at their cost, and the biggies- we're on the 2nd transmission and 1 torque converter despite having the towing package installed and maintaining vehicle according manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and towing far below the vehicle's capacity for only 2 years. That being said, the MDX's HP did a great job pulling the light load and up even steep boat ramps when locked in 4WD. The good news- Acura covered the transmissions at their cost both times despite being beyond warranty but boy, what a nuisance. Moving on to another vehicle before this one ends up costing me more than it is worth as it begins to self destruct. Despite issues, enjoyed the vehicle for over 100K miles but need something more reliable where it is easier to access the 3rd row with 2 car seats in place in 2nd row when transporting additional passengers. Yup- the dreaded minivan. MDX was great for the 2 of us then 4 of us but only folks with short legs who are nimble can get to that 3rd row easily and stay there comfortably for longer trips especially when you have any cargo in back."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura MDX near Honolulu. See local deals